Start by marking “When God Whispers Your Name” as Want to Read:
When God Whispers Your Name

When God Whispers Your Name

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  6,592 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Are you ready to hope again? Are you ready to let go of doubt and sorrow? Just listen carefully. God is whispering your name.

Somewhere, between the pages of this book and the pages of your heart, God is speaking. And He is calling you by name.

Maybe that's hard to believe. Maybe you just can't imagine that the One who made it all thinks of you that personally -- that He kee
Published August 29th 2011 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 1994)

Allison Tebo
Uplifting, down-to-earth, rational and refreshing.

Max Lucado's work is heart-changing, but they are gradual, gentle revelations - one barely notices the seeds being planted. A simple, humerus, humble HUMAN approach that is a true gift to read. Lucado gently relays truths about our Father that had me in tears more than once.

He truly is a good God - and by the end of it, i felt as if Max and I had had a conversation about Him - rejoicing in our Father and the endless joy of having God Whisper Ou
Ivan Perdomo
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cuando Dios susurra tu nombre, te hace sentir atrapado en una serie de incertidumbres en que preguntas porque a mi, y que estoy haciendo para que el decida llamarte a la mesa y compartir la vida eterna.

En este libro el Autor Max Lucado mediante un serie de anectodas de la vida diaria nos cuenta como por prejucios queremos definir cuando y cómo será la venida del Señor y si seremos capaces de reconocerlo, y porque aveces creeemos porque que El va a tener tiempo para cada uno de nosotros.

Muy buen
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read quite a lot of Max Lucado's books, and enjoyed every one, so when this one was available to review I decided to grab it. It is a collection of unrelated stories which weave together through the common theme that God cares for you, and wants to be closer to you and lead you, you just need to have faith in Him.

For example, the first story is of a man who used to be some kind of high-powered executive, but because he committed a big crime has been working as a humble janitor in a schoo
Vianessa Peña
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Tremendo libro! Primer libro que leo de Max Lucado y amé su estilo, sencillo, breve y conciso.
Me encanta la forma de narrar. Me siento parte. Siento que me escribió a mi, siento que me habla mi, y siento que susurra Vianessa en cada página...
Una joya!
Erika Suarez
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Es simplemente espectacular, resume el amor de Dios por nosostro, enfatiza e. la necesidad de ver más allá y de llegar hasta el fin de su mano. Un libro hecho con pasión y amor!
Álex Oliva
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Álex by: Valentina Alarcón
Cada historia, cada relato contenido en este libro, cada pasaje bíblico recopilado es un universo constante de mensajes de parte de Dios; algunas de las "revelaciones" ya nos son propias, otras quizás no están arraigadas, así que se refrescan y saben como la primera vez que las escuchaste, aunque quizás son más dulces que la primera vez... otras, no pocas, completamente nuevas capaces de conmoverte, sorprenderte, animarte y meditar en Dios.
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This man has the ability, bordering on amazing, to relate Biblical stories of long ago to present day and make them come to life. It's hard to relate to Moses,perhaps, but maybe you could relate to the former CEO of a huge company who killed a mugger and spent many years in hiding, working as a night janitor in the same building where he formerly presided at high-level meetings.

Not every piece of writing in this book struck me as brilliant, but there were some great moments to be sure. Portions
This was my first Lucado book experience. I was intrigued by his Grace for the Moments devotional I am doing and picked up this book. Honestly I was sincerely disappointed! It was by no means revelatory, as what I look for in Christian non-fiction. I'm going to give Max the benefit of the doubt and hope not all his books are mashed up stories. I'd much rather read someones thoughts than a basic themed recollection of stories.

The stories weren't bad and didn't make for hard or boring reading, it
Sep 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith
I never thought I'd say this about anything Max Lucado wrote, but I found this book hard to read. There was no...pattern. It was like he took his musings and threw it into a book.
I like Lucado's ability to talk about figures and stories and concepts in the Bible and discuss them in modern terms. The janitor who used to run the head office - why that's not so different from Moses's story now, is it? Paul wasn't much as far as heroes go, was he? Died with just a few letters to his name. But those letters, written to encourage the churches in their infancy in Ephesus, Thessalonica, Phillipi, will be read in every language for thousands of years to come. What a pleasure to r ...more
Deborah Turnmire
"When God Whispers Your Name" By: Max Lucado - Book Review
We have all been there at one point in time or another losing faith or possibly losing our way. For some of us it becomes gradually harder to find your way back to keeping the faith & staying on the right track with our christianity. What if I told you there was a book by the widely known Max Lucado, that could easily inspire you to do better, & to understand that there is hope even in the darkest corner? Well I am going to tell
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Very good, easy to read book that will build up your spirits. It's good-natured and positive, reaffirming the spirit of a Christian reader who needs help as they take the walk. You don't have to fear that you will get behind and have trouble picking this book up if you haven't read it in a while. It is written as self-contained chapters that can be picked up and read on a casual basis. Highly recommended for the Christian in need of uplifting, faith-affirming, and positive inspirational reading.
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything by Max Lucado in years, and I had a hard time getting into this. He has so many good things to say, and I think his teaching is solid, but his writing is a little choppy for me. I imagine he's a good speaker, because he gets to the point quickly and uses lots of illustrations. Just not my style of literature.
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max always have a way of using humor with his story telling as they relate to the Word. I seem to retain his message better through this concept.
May 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Each chapter is an individual story. Was ok-didn't light me up.
Christopher Hughes
This was the first Lucado book I ever read. It is by far my favorite of his.
Jeremy Manuel
I remember reading this once before, but as I came to read it again I found I couldn't remember much about it. Now that I've finished this second read I can understand why I haven't remembered too much. It's not that When God Whispers Your Name is a bad book, it just winds up being a fairly average one.

The book is written with a focus on giving people hope. Particularly hope to keep their faith and understand that God knows them, loves them, and is there for them. This is done by presenting a nu
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book for refreshing your perspective

This is an amazing book, very accessible and easy to relate. It’s conversational tone makes it feel as though you’re talking with a friend, a mentor. Thanks for the wonderful book Max.
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
It took me forever to read this book. I read it little by little until it was done. It was such an encouraging book showing how God loves us. It is packed full of little vignettes that touch the soul and remind us who we are to God.
Laurel Hicks
There's no one so uplifting as Max.
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Assorted topics presented in a random manner, but the illustrations are good.
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved It
Alanna Love
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“There dwells inside you, deep within, a tiny whippoorwill. Listen. You will hear him sing. His aria mourns the dusk. His solo signals the dawn. It is the song of the whippoorwill. He will not be silent until the sun is seen… Other creatures of the soul are more quickly fed. More simply satisfied. We feed the lion who growls for power. We stroke the tiger who demands affection. We bridle the stallion who bucks for control. But what do we do with the whippoorwill who yearns for eternity? For tha ...more
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really wasn't a huge fan of this book despite having many friends who really seem to enjoy Max Lucado's books. The chapters were short which made for quick and easy reading which some may have found as an asset but I found as a huge detriment to what he was trying to say. They were so short that you only barely skimmed a hand across the surface of a topic before jumping into another. This left me, and probably many reader, with their heads spinning while trying to figure out what the point was ...more
Melissa Roach
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Do you find it hard to believe that the One who made everything keeps your name on His heart and on His lips? Did you realize that your name is written on the hand of God (Is. 49:16)? Perhaps you've never seen your name honored. And you can't remember when you heard it spoken with kindness. In this book, Lucado offers the inspiration to believe that God has already bought the ticket-with your name on it.

About the Author"
With over 100 million products in print, Max Lucado is one of Ame
Oct 31, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
OK, honestly, this book was awful. it's a collection of various writings of Lucado's, early writings I can only assume, because most of them are just the worst stuff of his I've ever read. There were one or two I really enjoyed and derived some encouragement from, especially the one that started off with the man who cares for an ancient European forest (go figure). But for the most part, this hodge podge assortment is immature and poorly written. With one or two of the articles, I was actually o ...more
Lydia Howe
I read the second half of this book today while sitting in the hospital waiting room cause my adopted dad is getting open heart surgery. Accordingly, it was pretty hard to focus and I'm afraid I probably didn't get the full effect of the book.

This wasn't my favorite of Max Lucado's books, and in fact might have been my least favorite. There wasn't anything "wrong" with the book, it was more that I was expecting a continuous flow instead of stand-alone chapters.

The writing was beautiful and ima
CJ Scurria
This one might be a hard-to-find book on living a spiritual life, but if you find it anywhere and you long to find out what it is to live a better Christian life, get this book!

It was published in the nineties but don't let that sway you from thinking it is somewhat outdated.

This book is insightful yet grounded on truths. It is simple yet amazing. This book has taught me a lot like some things from the bible (that I did not know) but also tells you a lot about God that can help you live your li
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love to read Max Lucado inspirational/devotional books. They help me make my way through the day along with my scripture reading. When I read this it is as if I could feel God as I meditate on what I have read. I don't know of any book that Max Lucado has written that did not seem to be inspired by God. I wanted to take a chapter from this book and share it with my blog readers. But instead you need to get a copy of this book for yourself. We sometimes need someone else to help us get inspired ...more
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Readers
Recommended to Abby by:
Shelves: christian
(I may have read this before, and forgot: but it was well worth reading again.)

Written in the "having a coffee, sitting on the back porch watching the sun go down" style that is both warm and friendly and informative, Max Lucado manages to set you at ease, and sprinkle diamonds* around at the same time.

This is a very readable book that I would recommend to any Christian looking for a good read.

*When I say "Sprinkle Diamonds", I mean put out bits of wisdom that you may not need right at the momen
  • Rumors of Another World: What on Earth Are We Missing?
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • When God Doesn't Make Sense
  • God Is Closer Than You Think: If God Is Always with Us, Why Is He So Hard to Find?
  • Get Out of That Pit!: Straight Talk about God's Deliverance
  • The Body
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Christianity in Crisis
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer Is Right Under Your Nose
  • The Name
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

More about Max Lucado...

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man
    $7.24 $1.99
“Be a child again. Flirt. Giggle. Dip your cookies in your milk. Take a nap. Say you're sorry if you hurt someone. Chase a butterfly. Be a child again.” 298 likes
“The past does not have to be your prison. You have a voice in your destiny. You have a say in your life. You have a choice in the path you take.” 185 likes