Start by marking “The Glorious Cause” as Want to Read:
The Glorious Cause

The Glorious Cause (American Revolutionary War [1770-1783] #2)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  5,161 Ratings  ·  288 Reviews
In Rise to Rebellion, bestselling author Jeff Shaara captured the origins of the American Revolution as brilliantly as he depicted the Civil War in Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure. Now he continues the amazing saga of how thirteen colonies became a nation, taking the conflict from kingdom and courtroom to the bold and bloody battlefields of war.

It was never a w
Published June 3rd 2003 by Ballantine Books (first published October 29th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Glorious Cause, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glorious Cause

Mr. Matt
Another book that I should've reviewed days ago. Too much work .... too much going on ....

The Glorious Cause continues the story of Franklin, Adams, Washington, Cornwallis, and more through the climax of the American Revolution. This is Shara's Schtick. He picks a few key players in great historical events and follows them through those events. As a reader you gain insight into the thinking, the strategy, the plots of these great people. The insight is fantastic.

The approach is also a great weak
Joe
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The Glorious Cause, Shaara picks up where he left off in Rise to Rebellion and relates the events of the lion share of the Revolutionary War (the fall of 1776 to the final negotiations in 1783.) Gone are many of the characters so crucial to the Declaration of Independence and greater space is given to the key players of the war: Washington, Greene, and Cornwallis and those crucial diplomats: Franklin and Adams.

Shaara does a great job in capturing the desperate nature of the war: Washington se
Gilda Felt
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like its prequel, this book brings to life the men who fought for, and against, the American cause. Highly readable, and so well researched that you find yourself forgetting that it’s a novel.

Each chapter is written from a different person’s view, so that you see the conflict from both sides. Each person is shown in all their complexities, their good qualities as well as their flaws.

Another plus, is that the battles are written in such a way to make them palatable to those readers who aren’
Domenico
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want an overview of the American Revolution, this book and its predecessor, "Rise to Rebellion", are an excellent source because it takes you beyond what you learned in high school history class, while making it all supremely accessible by turning the tale into a novel rather than a textbook. That isn't to say this is fictionalized or that Shaara took license with it. He relied on first-person accounts and letters and other historical documentation to make the dialogue and recounting of e ...more
Sandy
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Shaara is amazing. I previously loved his Civil war books, Gods and Generals plus The Last Full Measure. If anything this was even better. He can bring it to life with all the despair, doubt and struggle that was involved over the long fight to shake off the yoke of British rule. Although I would have said that I knew a lot about the Revolution, the fact is that I learned so much here. My biggest takeaways were:
- There was really no way we should have survived much less won. To quote the ex
David Roark
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot say enough good things about this book. For someone like myself who has always been interested in the American Revolution, it is kind of like a dream come true. Equally informative and dramatic, as well as captivating and well-written, this book, as well as the prequel, Rise to Rebellion, are definitely necessities for Americans to read, to fully appreciate what Washington, Greene, Lafayette, Franklin, Adams, Jefferson, Tilghman, Morgan, Wayne, Knox and many many more went through to se ...more
Grayson Coleman
Oct 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grayson Coleman
Ms. Minniear
1st period
10/11/10
The Glorious Cause is a historical fiction book written by Jeff Shaara. It is set in the new country
of America during the Revolutionary War.
It is told so that all the commanding generals of both sides tell the story. For example one
chapter might be titled “Washington“, and the next “Cornwallis.” There is really no main character but
here are some of the characters, George Washington, Nathanael Greene, Charles Cornwallis, and William
Howe.
The story
Suzanne
The Glorious Cause is the second book in Jeff Shaara’s narration of the American Revolution. Having read and loved the first, I already knew what I was in for when I picked up this novel. Wow! Shaara is such a master at presenting history in a way that is thrilling and even, at times, nailbiting. It doesn’t matter that we already know how the story turns out, this book is fantastic!

Again, Shaara changes perspective with each chapter, featuring such important players as George Washington, Charles
Carl Alves
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Glorious Cause is a very well written and often times epic in scope novel about the Revolutionary War. It mostly uses the point of view of the major people involved in the war, primarily through the eyes of George Washington, who is more or less the central character of the novel. Shaara really goes through great pains to show the struggles that the Colonialists had to go through before things finally turned around. They had to show amazing resiliency overcoming horrible situations. It’s one ...more
Charles Cummings
The Glorious Cause is book 2 on of Jeff Shaara’s two book set on the American Revolutionary War. This book really shined through as an excellent piece from Shaara. It goes from the invasion of New York to the siege of Yorktown. The primary focus of the book is the battles and the armies. Shaara writes from the point of view of different people (Washington, Lord Cornwallis, Greene, etc). The history is true; the conversations are Shaara’s idea of what was said. If you are interested in the Americ ...more
Jaret
Sep 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly researched novel of the American Revolution. This volume focused on the battles of the American Revolution. There was a lot of historical detail added to the story and I found the plotlines dragged at times. The best parts of the story revolved around George Washington trying to get money and supplies for his troops. The "battles" back and forth with the Continental Congress were intriguing and I learned a lot about his struggles behind the scenes. I also liked the Afterwor ...more
Owl Looking Back
Jeff Shaara's take on the American Revolution is more detailed and insightful than most. His characters seem to come alive, and so do the events. As much as I thought I knew about the Revolution, through years of reading and research, along comes Shaara to tell me a few things I didn't know. This book was definitely a good investment of my time and effort, considering its informative narrative and insights. Excellent book, hard to put down.
Just arrived from USA through BM.

This is the second and final volume of the American Revolutionary War series showing why George Washington reached the status of the Father of the United States of America.

His military actions as well as his very well planned tactics assured important victories against the Britons together with the French alliance in the figure of General Lafayette.

Another magnificent book by Jeff Shaara. Now I must finish the Civil War series.
Mike (the Paladin)
Unabridged audio.

I love accounts of the American Revolution. My only regret here is that I have been involved in a move and can't give this book the attention it deserves, I'll probably reread it later. The drama built through use of historical events alongside fictitious and imagined conversation makes a compelling book.
Debbie Colson
Great book! Just visited American battle sites, and the trip sparked my interest in a broader view of history. The book lays out the historical figures, causes and effects, and timeline in an easy to understand read.
Barbara
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed this book! Very well researched and I really like his writing style. As much as I've read about the Revolutionary War, I did learn some new things in this book. I would highly recommend this book.
Abe
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. The author brings history alive with factual data.
It was interesting to note the significant role played by France in our independence.
Rebecca The Files of Mrs. E,
Just like the book before, Rise to Rebellion, The Glorious Cause draws you right in. You know the history of the Revolutionary War, although you might have forgotten the details over time, but these books bring our fight for independence alive. You can picture all of it. I also love that while Shaara depicts heroes, they are not perfect. They suffer moments of indecision and difficulty. Finally I like that Shaara includes all the memorable characters, quotes, and events that we remember from tha ...more
Norb Wormald
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I heard Jeff Shaara give a talk at my local library a few years ago. How he came to write his first book. Since I enjoy history I got the book "GODS AND GENERALS". been hooked ever I have been hooked ever since to read his works. I really like the idea that he presents both sides of the conflicts from the top generals to the lowly soldier.

This book shows how close we came to loosing the American Revaluation, all the interplay between the our army and the different founding fathers try to hold t
Jim
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of the Revolutionary War by Jeff Shaara. This one told from the perspectives of Franklin, Washington, Nate Green (likely the best general in the American forces) and Opposition General Cornwallis, the pompous ass. This book covers the war years of the Revolution. It's a delight getting into the heads of the greats of the time, wondering if what Shaara put on paper really were the real thoughts and feelings of the main characters. A great read.
Cletus Lee
I've read a lot written by Jeff Shaara. I enjoy his humanizing of the people in our history. Unfortunately, to make a person from history come alive, you need to create dialog. For the most part, records of this dialog do not exist and authors like Jeff Shaara need to fabricate dialog to move the story line. Sometime with in the reading of this book, the dialog seem awkwardly contrived. This is for me my only complaint of this book.
M Patterson
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first of the two books is more about the men and the excitement leading up to the Revolution. This one has a lot of battle details and you get a little list in the names/places. Still a very good read and a great historical fiction of the Revolutionary War. I admire these men (and women) so much for trying to create a new country.
neil j brazitis
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the interplay among the historical characters which made them more human. I always am careful to remember that this is a novel and while mostly historically accurate certain liberties may have been taken.
Nathaniel
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i liked it
Jeffrey
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only weakness of this novel is that this war is boring when compared to the American Civil War.
DeDe
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! As a budding history buff of the American Revolution, this two book series was wonderful. Gave me a new vision of the war. Highly recommended.
Susan R
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long, but good. Some of the grammatical style was very irritating!!
Alan Tomkins-Raney
Probably Shaara's best book. I didn't give it five stars because of a couple glaring historical inaccuracies, some of which offensively and flagrantly misrepresent John Adams and are completely unnecessary if their purpose is to provide tension and drama. There is enough excitement in the military campaigns and battle scenes that Shaara ought to focus more exclusively there, because when he does, this is some intense and highly entertaining reading.
Steven
This is a very good historical novel, which will give you a good idea of the movements of armies, strategy and tactics, and major military personalities of the Revolutionary War from 1776 to 1783, with maps of many of the battles aiding us to better understand some of the campaigns. The major figures—Washington, Greene, Morgan, Franklin (mainly in France), Lafayette, Von Steuben, and Cornwallis—are portrayed in depth as imperfect human beings, who did their best under trying circumstances. Even ...more
Don
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an extraordinary, historical novel by Jeff Shaara.

From the opening chapter about the murder of a fisherman in Brooklyn’s Graveshead Bay by invading, sea-borne British troops (which in present day is nestled between the Verrazano Bridge to the north, and Sea Gate to the south), Shaara’s descriptive writing, coupled with his historically accurate research, creates a book of epic proportions, which left me extremely disappointed that his 638 page, single-spaced, page-turner, had to actuall
Revolutionary War Mystery 1 1 Feb 03, 2017 06:15AM
  • Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)
  • Redcoats and Rebels: The American Revolution Through British Eyes
  • 1812
  • Cain at Gettysburg (The Battle Hymn Cycle)
  • Redcoat
  • The Killer Angels (The Civil War Trilogy, #2)
  • The Marines of Autumn
  • The Afghan Campaign
  • The Road to Guilford Courthouse: The American Revolution in the Carolinas
  • By Force of Arms (Isaac Biddlecomb, #1)
  • Washington's General: Nathanael Greene and the Triumph of the American Revolution
  • Jack Frake (Sparrowhawk, #1)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • A Devil of a Whipping: The Battle of Cowpens
Jeff Shaara, a descendant of Italian immigrants, was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey ("Shaara" was originally spelled "Sciarra"). He grew up in Tallahassee, Florida, and graduated from Florida State University with a degree in Criminology. From age 16, Jeff operated a rare coin business, first out of his home, then in a retail store. After moving to Tampa, Jeff became one of the most widely know ...more
More about Jeff Shaara...

American Revolutionary War [1770-1783] (2 books)
  • Rise to Rebellion: A Novel of the American Revolution (The American Revolutionary War)
“instructions like he’s never been on a field of” 0 likes
“No cause that was ever worthy was without its turmoil, its trials, its hopelessness. We are not defeated yet.” 0 likes