Start by marking “First Thrills” as Want to Read:
First Thrills

First Thrills (First Thrills)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  1,576 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Lee Child and International Thriller Writers, Inc., present a collection of remarkable stories in First Thrills. Showcasing many of the organization’s bestselling authors as well as rising stars in the genre, here are twenty-five brand-new, never-before-published stories packed with murder, mystery, and mayhem.

• A cunning criminal thinks h
Published May 24th 2011 by Forge (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about First Thrills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Thrills

Mark Soone
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I gave it 3 stars, but my average was 2.76 which is about where I would rank it for me..just below 3, but certainly above 2. There are some very good stories in this collection and I guess those alone warrant a 3 star rating, but the second half of this collection really lagged on excitement IMHO. For me the first story by Hurwitz remains the highlight of the collection.

01 The Thief by Gregg Hurwitz- 5 stars
Other than reading a short story bu Hurwitz in another ITW inc. anthology, I am not famil
Melenia
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
I picked up this audio book because I loved the book "FaceOff" and I wanted to read more like it. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to my expectations. The audio was pretty good. I only skipped one book because of the audio which is pretty good for how many different people they have doing it.

I averaged my ratings out to just under a two star and decided it was decent enough to bump it up. Some people might enjoy this book much more than I did, I just found the super short stories did no
Patty Marvel
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Run, do not walk, to your nearest library or book store or computer with Amazon.com fired up AND GET THIS!!!! This is a collection of twenty-five short stories in the "thriller" genre, about eleven of which are by well-established writers you've heard of and the remaining fourteen are by relative newcomers. That's the point according to Lee Child, who acts as editor and contributor - to have just enough goodies by people you know so you buy the book and read stuff by the new kids. Added bonus if ...more
Tim
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok

Quintin Zimmermann
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
The idea behind First Thrills was to showcase new talent in the thriller genre and use the internationally recognised authors to attract the readership.

Six years after First Thrills was first published, the bestselling authors continue to be successful, but sadly none of the featured rookie authors have really gone on to better things.

There were some great stories - The Thief by Gregg Hurwitz and The Dead Club by Michael Palmer stand out. But there were just too many mediocre stories that didn
Wade
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I looked forward to this book, and was mostly happy with the short stories. I'm going to trust that the compiler/editor has a better sense of the genre that I, so I won't rate any story less than a "3". I figure 1 & 2 ratings didn't make muster with them. I obtained an average for the overall rating. Here's my rubric:

3 - not my cup of tea; never grabbed me.
4 - pretty good stuff; good story.
5 - amazing...I didn't want the story to end.

4 - The Thief, by Gregg Hurwitz
5 - Scutwork, by CJ Lyons
Linda Munro
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally stray from anthologies, but suddenly I am finding that this is the way to introduce myself to new writers. I find myself in a less likely mode to purchase anthologies simply due to the fact that short stories lack detail and without detail, they mainly fall flat. Most of the stories in this anthology did not fall flat, yet each of them can easily be expanded upon to make either a novel or novella. This anthology contains twenty-five short stories, each will make the reader eager to le ...more
Saritha
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it
While they were all good stories, I didn't particularly care for the UFO one or the zombie one. I particularly loved Rebecca Cantrell's On the Train and Grant McKenzie's Underbelly.

The book has achieved its purpose of introducing through a story, authors that a reader may not ever come across. I will look out for McKenzie and Cantrell now.
Midnight Blue
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great anthology; in content, and in the very purpose of it. Lee Child has collected stories by well-known and successful writers and writers who are just getting started in the Thriller genre. The stories were all good, some were great, and there was even a Civil War era zombie story (every anthology should have a zombie story). I highly recommend this book!
Shaun
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like Lee Child stories, this is a book of short stories along the vein of Lee Child. I found most of the stories interesting and I'll most likely check out many of the short story authors other best selling books.
Lori Mills
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not finished this book yet, but have read several of the short stories. I am really liking it. They are short and written by the best thriller writers. The stories are reminisent of the Twilight Zone stories on TV years ago.
Craig S.
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
It’s hard to build a “thriller” in just a few pages without going overboard or getting too quickly into the action. To their credit, all the authors in this collection do it. Highly recommended.
Dwayne Keller
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable; a nice collection of stories and every one a winner.
Cora Judd
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great anthology of thriller short stories - none relied on gore, shock or the predictable victim. Both new and established authors.
Jim
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like great short stories then read this book! Fast, fun, and great reading
Jezebel Jorge
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great stories from some of my favorite writers and lots of new creepy brilliance to check out. JT Ellison's story was my favorite, but they were all entertaining and well written.
Sheila
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A compilation of thriller stories edited by Lee Child
Ivana
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Zmiešanina poviedok od zavedených autorov trilleru a od nováčikov.
Za mňa to bolo dosť rozpačité, našli sa dobré poviedky, ale väčšina bola dosť priemerná až pod priemerom. Chápem, že poviedka je krátky útvar, ale často aj samotná myšlienka bola veľmi skratkovitá a väčšinou som na konci ostala s výrazom... "a teraz čo?". A ono nič.

Skúsim aspoň veľmi rýchlo prebehnúť jednotlivé poviedky:
*Zloděj - Greg Hurwitz - trošku weird, ale dobre vypointovaná, prečítala by som si od autora aj niečo dlhšie.
Suzanne Strack
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised here. I tend to stay away from short-story collections, just because I felt like I wouldn't like this format. But this book is packed with thrillers, and I loved most of them! There were only 1 or 2 stories that I really didn't like.
I would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone who likes thrillers.
John
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I haven’t read short stories in ages. These were a good reprieve from the norm.
Ann Amadori
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not my kind of stories
Todd Russell
I received a complimentary review copy of First Thrills as part of the Goodreads giveaway program.

It's a nice hardcover book with the price of $25.95 US on the inside dust jacket. There are 25 stories in this collection, most of which are from thriller authors plus a couple mystery and even a little horror sprinkled in. There isn't any theme to the collection, which I think would have made it better, so if that's the only kind of collection you enjoy reading, you might want to keep looking.

It's
Tim
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology contains the writings of 12 bestsellers with 13 new writers, all of whom are associated with the International Thriller Writers, Inc. organization. Although quick reads for the most part, several of these short stories are rather pedestrian and predictable for anyone who reads widely. Unfortunately, Editor Lee Child’s “The Bodyguard” is among these: good fast-paced action with a weak ending. But balancing this assembly is Marc Paoletti’s “Chloe,” which is not a tale for the squeam ...more
Dav
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
First Thrills ● by Lee Child (Editor)

SUMMARY - New York Times bestselling author Lee Child and International Thriller Writers, Inc., present a collection of remarkable stories in First Thrills. Showcasing many of the organization’s bestselling authors as well as rising stars in the genre . . .

With: Gregg Hurwitz, Michael Palmer, Grant McKenzie,
John Lescroart, Bill Cameron, Stephen Coonts,
Ryan Brown, Sean Michael Bailey, Heather Graham,
Rebecca Cantrell, Kelli Stanley, C.J. Lyons,
Wendy Corsi S
Robert
The following is a First Reads giveaway winner review:

As in all story collections you will have to take the good with the bad. Now the premise for the book I do like. A bunch of known thriller writers get together and write stories to be published for free. The reasoning is to sell a collection of stories that contains new writers they feel are going to be the next big thing. The part I found funny was that the big authors were the ones that I found that their stories sucked. Bill Camerons story
Alison C
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First Thrills, edited by Lee Child, is a curious compendium of short stories by well-known thriller writers (Jeffrey Deaver, John Lescroart, Stephen Coonts, Child himself) and first-time authors. The general theme is that of stories dubbed "thrillers," but within that category one finds hard-boiled, noirish horrors as well as spy stories, aliens-among-us tales, out-and-out horror tales, cons both large and small, vampires, ghosts and even a bit of poignancy. As with any such anthology, there wer ...more
Ellen Keim
It's hard to rate a book of short stories unless they are uniformly good (or bad). Some of these stories I liked a lot, some not so much. But overall I enjoyed this book for the quality of the writing and for the imagination of the writers. Judging by this book, I will definitely be looking up the following volumes (I believe there are four more as of 2014) in this series.

The series is produced by International Thriller Writers, Inc., an organization that exists not only to promote thriller writ
Bia
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What made me read through the collection of stories, was Lee Child's introduction. It really touched me how he and another 11 authors are giving a headstart to new writers in the short story world. And that is real nice, if I'd be writer too, I would be more than grateful to have such help. And it makes me proud to see that some of my fave authors are doing this. It makes me proud to have authors who want to keep the writing alive.

The stories were good, and they were as promised, very thrilling.
Shane
The Princess of Felony Flats, by Bill Cameron. - 3
Sa
Johnathon Massey
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and want to read the whole books that are in this one.The way that each chapter ends I feel a sadness because I want to read more of it and find out what happens next.I would definitely recommend this book for those who like thrillers and are looking for more thrills that they would be interested in. I also like that each chapter is about a different life and the characters are so unpredictable. You may think you know who the bad guy is but really you don't. Lee Child di ...more
  • Thriller 2
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2006
  • The Unremarkable Heart and Other Stories
  • A Moment on the Edge: 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women
  • Love Is Murder (Bullet Catcher, #8.75; Mercy Street, #3.5; Lucy Kincaid, #4.5; Cold Ridge/U. S. Marshals, #6.5; Forensic Instincts, #1.5, Mike Dietz, #1.75; Jackie Mercer, #1.5; Black Ops Inc., #3.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Perfect Crimes and Impossible Mysteries
  • The Rich and the Dead
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2005
  • The Spy's Bedside Book
  • Riding The Snake
  • Slices of Night (Taylor Jackson; Maggie O'Dell, #9.5; Stacy Killian, #4.5; The Malones, #5.5)
  • Thriller: Stories To Keep You Up All Night
  • Philadelphia Noir
  • Modern Classics of Fantasy
  • The Dead Witness: A Connoisseur's Collection of Victorian Detective Stories
  • Ghost Watch (Vin Cooper, #4)
  • Insomnia and Seven More Short Stories
  • Best Lesbian Erotica 2012
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more
More about Lee Child...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
  • Beautiful Malice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Motion to Suppress
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope Mystery #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • This Body of Death (Inspector Lynley #16)
    $7.49 $1.99

“were under the very erroneous impression that we had money. Of” 5 likes
“veterans and remarkable rookies. International Thriller Writers, Inc. (ITW) cofounder, David” 3 likes