Start by marking “The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)

The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  89,960 Ratings  ·  11,240 Reviews
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something frightening enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that got her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that had killed most of America’s children, but she and the others emerged wi ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Disney Hyperion

Sarah Maas
Feb 25, 2011 Sarah Maas rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
THE DARKEST MINDS is one of the best books I have EVER read. No joke. I can't even properly express how much I love this book. It touched my soul--it's THAT incredible. It haunted me for days and days (and still does!). The world-building and plot are phenomenal (it leaves you absolutely breathless in spots!), and the characters are some of the most vivid I've encountered.

When 2012 rolls around, DO NOT miss this book--it will stay with you long, long after you've finished reading it.
Khanh (the meanie)
Oct 19, 2013 Khanh (the meanie) rated it did not like it
Recommended to Khanh (the meanie) by: Mai is a Happy Bibliophile
If The Hunger Games brought back my faith in YA dystopia, Darkest Minds made me an atheist. This book has a plot filled with more holes than a Dunkin Donuts. It is mind-boggling to me that the rating in this series is as high as Hunger Games when the supporting characters in this book are are without personality nor complexity, combined with a weak-ass, whiny wimp of a main character, not to mention the majority of a book is a pointless snoozefest of a roadtrip.

Let's for 1 minute talk about The
Emily May
Jul 21, 2015 Emily May rated it it was ok
“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived.”

Ever since The Darkest Minds was released at the height of the dystopian craze in 2012, I think I've been subconsciously saving it to enjoy at a later date when the hype died down and I was no longer sick of reading YA dystopias. With an average rating of over 4.3, I was sure that I would enjoy it when I eventually gave in. But now, to be honest, I am cluel
Kaylee Magic
Apr 09, 2012 Kaylee Magic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
OH. MY. GOD. Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!

This book was so damn beautiful, so damn heartbreaking, and so damn freaking AMAZING! I think it's one of the most in-depth books I've read since The Hunger Games -- and I mean that with my heart and soul. It's not just another fluffy mock-intense book; it's not just another dystopian knock-off that I could never see happening in real life; it's not another sweet romance without anything else of substance that makes for a good time passer but doesn't
Christine Riccio
Jan 06, 2013 Christine Riccio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
MUST READ. FANTABULOUS BOOK. I just posted my booktalk ( http://youtu.be/90NS3uB8LxI ) which includes Review / Reaction / and Discussion on all the feelings it created.
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
I literally flipped to a random page, and these were the first words I found:
"Don't be scared," she whispered. "Don't let them see."

I introduce to you: Frozen, the dystopia edition.

PLOT RUNDOWN:
After a deadly virus hits killing a majority of children in the United States, our Snow Queen of the story is sent away for her powers. Every other child demonstrating unnatural abilities is also shipped to these camps.
The Greens are the intelligent:
You may be thinking: "wait... that's not a cool
SerenaSmiles
Mar 11, 2012 SerenaSmiles rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: I hereby sentence EVERYONE to read this NOW.
Mitch
Dec 26, 2012 Mitch rated it did not like it
Shelves: no-just-no
Alexandra Bracken
Feb 25, 2011 Alexandra Bracken rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
ETA--For those confused about the title change: http://www.alexandrabracken.com/?p=1121

Well, I like it a whole lot! Can't wait to hear what you guys think!
♥ Becky  22
Everybody, everybody should go read this book. Like right now.
The Darkest Minds is amazing. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. 100% recommended.

[image error]

1) The writing = perfection.
I felt like I was there. I could hear the music when Ruby and Liam were dancing by the fire. I felt the cold from the AC in the hotel room. I honestly felt like I was there. And the writing is beautiful. And also funny.

"Use the damn map," Chubs groused behind him.
"I can figure it out wit
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 09, 2013 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS SO BORING.

I also felt like the world and all of the powers weren't explained very well, and you're constantly in the dark! It's ok to leave some things unanswered until later, but basic things should be explained early on, and I didn't feel like they were in this book.

Highly disappointing.
lolo'
Mar 05, 2016 lolo' rated it it was amazing
I JUST LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. MY HEART ACHESSSSSS FOR LIAM I NEED HIM IN MY LIFE.

Thank youuuu literary gods for making me love this book.

I LOVE IT.

Passenger is nooooooothing compared to this.

I love everything about it.

The writing I love it.

The powers are so awesome.

The characters AHHHHH.

Liam my sweet cinnamon roll I love you forever and always.

CHUBS IS MY FAVORITE AND IS MY NEW FICTIONAL BESTFRIEND!!

Zu i just want to wrap her in a blanket and keep her safe.

RUBY IS AWESOME AND THE CHARACTER G
Lauren
"That girl was gone forever, and all that was left was a product of the place that had taught her to fear the bright things inside of her heart."

For once I understand why a book has so much hype. So many books are overrated and others are so underrated. The Darkest Minds deserves the 4.28 average stars it has. It deserves much more than that. This book destroyed me and if I wasn’t in public when I was reading the ending I probably would have done more than tear up. I would have starting crying
Etnik
Sep 18, 2014 Etnik marked it as to-read
description

All of my friends seem to have read this series,and I have heard nothing but amazing things about it.Any feedback?

Anja
Nov 04, 2014 Anja rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
*5 DARKEST STARS*

Sobbing.
That's all I can do right now. That ending was so heartbreaking I can't even get my thoughts straight. I'm still wondering why it took me so long to decide to read this absolute gem of a book. I would give this evey star in the galaxy if I could!

I'm really sad I still haven't been able to get my hands on the sequel, since I really NEED to read how this continues asap!
Full review coming soon!
Dannii Elle
Well, wow! Now I know what all the hype was about!

This is the first installment in a high-action dystopian YA trilogy by best-selling author, Alexandra Bracken. The children of America have been somehow mentally transformed and, from their early teens, begin to exhibit mysterious abilities that cause the adult population to create a series of rehabilitation centers, in an attempt to control them. Sixteen-year-old Ruby has lived for the last six years of her life in Thurmond, one of the largest a
Marnie
Jan 21, 2015 Marnie rated it really liked it
The darkest minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.

This book definitely lived up to the hype surrounding it.

I think I speak for many when I say this book was an emotional rollercoaster. It's one of those books that you just want to binge read, yet, you never want it to finish. Do I read all of it at once so I can begin to read the next two books? Or do I savour each beautifully written word so that it will never end? The answer to both of these questions is yes. I can say, I'm a fan
Regan
Jul 04, 2013 Regan rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic, it feels like its been a long time since I've read a book so good. The characters had depth, the story was engrossing and action packed, I honestly could not put this book down. Easily in my top for this year ALREADY.

Kogiopsis
Edit: Re-read in May 2014, but leaving original review standing because it still expresses my feelings perfectly.
Edit x2, January 2016: Having read some negative reviews, I'm thinking I might need to reread again and re-write this - not because I have doubts, but because I'm a little pissed off at the way people react to a traumatized teen by calling her whiny. I've had friends say it, I've seen reviews complaining about it, and it infuriates me. Come at me, bros; I'll fight you for Ruby Daly's
Petrik
Nov 18, 2016 Petrik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
3.5/5 Stars

I bought The Darkest Minds trilogy because I was in need of some Dystopia books to read once in a while as a break from reading my favorite genre, high-fantasy. Hey, everyone need a break once in a while from their favorite genre right? ;) and this doesn't disappoint me!

My review will be quite short this time as I'm going to read the next novella and sequel after this but as a start, let me say this. I'm not a fan of the YA genre. In fact, it's one of the genre that I avoid the most.
Zoë
Aug 01, 2013 Zoë rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book!
I love stories about people with special powers so this book was perfect. I had a few problems with this book, some due to the fact that I had to read it really slowly since I had limited free time this month. I didn't really enjoy any of the romance in this book which is upsetting for someone who loves romance and I didn't get very attached to any of the characters.
sana  °¤°
I have finally finished this almost 500 page boring crap, thanks to my cousin.

description

Expectations, expectations, I should seriously start lowering them. I went into this book expecting some badass, kickass action scenes with a strong heroine, but what I got was a boring ass long as fuck road trip story with some dun dun dun.

When I think Dystopian, this is what comes to my mind:
•Evil government
•Some sort of plague/disease
•Group of teens that must take down the government
•SOME ACTION
•Butt kicking femal
Montzalee Wittmann
Mar 29, 2017 Montzalee Wittmann rated it it was amazing
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) by Alexandra Bracken is one creepy, but good book! Something happened to the kids when mistake happened. The white noise buffer they always hear stopped. A strange loud noise pierced the air and the ears of the kids. Many kids died right away, others slowly, and others changed. Some slowly, others quickly. The government took all the kids to a brutal camp. One of the camp "doctors" save her and got her out of the camp, but she knows this doctor is going t ...more
Amber Robertson
4.5

I can't even write a proper review for this book, oh my lord. I loved it. I loved Ruby, Liam, Chubs, Zu and Betty so much omg. I'm totally having grabby hands over the next book and all you need to know is I loved this book and I'm so happy it met every expectation I had.
Booknut
Dear Alexandra Bracken:

Seriously. Because nothing could possibly be more painful than the cliffhanger that rears its horrid head at the end of this book! Especially since it catches you unawares. One minute you're enjoying a good dose of kick-ass heroism and Ruby/Liam cuteness, thinking:

But just like Bilbo was slightly mistaken, so was I. So was I.

'The Darkest Minds' is the latest masterpiece of Bracken's. After reading her novel 'Brightly Woven' I was expecting something along the same lines
Andreea Pop
“Time to carpe the hell out of this diem.”

Holy shit. What to do with my life now that I finished this beauty of a book?

I am late to the party, as always, but better late than never. By a few years but I picked The Darkest Minds up because I've had enough of not having a clue about this "beautiful series" (like I also do with Delirium, The Raven Circle and Mara Dyer -- don't worry, you're next). Well let me tell you something: OHMYGOD THE FEELS. That pretty much sums up this book. And I'm sooo
Cait • A Page with a View
Nov 07, 2016 Cait • A Page with a View rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopian
I know the general plot of a disease that leaves kids with powers has been done before, but I think the writing in this story really makes it stand out!

Most of the kids in Ruby's generation are either dead or manifesting superpowers, so the government ships them to hellish concentration-type camps where kids are labeled with a color representing their abilities. Basically, Ruby is dangerous. Ruby escapes/is smuggled out. Ruby meets other kids. Ruby learns that she's been in the camp for 6 years
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
3.5 Stars. I read this quite a while ago and to be honest, I don't have a ton to say about it.. though the decision to give it 3.5 stars was hard because LIAM IS WORTH 5 STARS.

The first half of the book dragged so much that I almost DNF'ed it. I'm kinda glad I didn't though - because then I would never have met the side characters. They were worth the wait.

Liam was obviously my favorite- I think he wins the award for the sweetest and dearest male lead EVER in a book. Like can I just give him a
Kat Kennedy
Steph, baby, honey-munchkin. You are going to love this one. I usually don’t do Dystopians much anymore. Steph still loves them though, so I’m kind of excited to see how she’ll feel about it. I didn’t know what to expect because I hadn’t loved Bracken’s previous work, Brightly Woven. Yet this book was getting rave reviews. All I can say is, my god that writer’s done her work. This was a massive improvement on both a technical level and story-telling level.

Ruby lives in a world where an entire ge
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
Jan 22, 2013 Catriona (LittleBookOwl) rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
4 1/2 stars!

Oh my gosh. OH MY GOSH.
I loved this book so much!
I am slightly conflicted about the ending though - it annoyed me because of the stupidity and then it all went cray AND THEN I WAS LEFT HEARTBROKEN.
What am I supposed to do now? *wails*
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Erased (Altered, #2)
  • All Our Yesterdays
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • What Tomorrow May Bring
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Into the Still Blue (Under the Never Sky, #3)
  • The Lost Girl
  • What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • This is Not a Test (This is Not a Test #1)
  • The Farm (The Farm, #1)
  • Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Black City (Black City, #1)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A
More about Alexandra Bracken...

The Darkest Minds (3 books)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3)

“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.” 1586 likes