Start by marking “Primal Waters (MEG #3)” as Want to Read:
Primal Waters (MEG #3)

Primal Waters

(MEG #3)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  3,475 Ratings  ·  191 Reviews
It was the apex predator of all time, the most fearsome creature that ever lived -- a 70-foot, 70,000 pound Great White shark. Hundreds of 7-inch serrated teeth filled jaws that could swallow an elephant whole. It could sense its prey miles away, inhaling its scent as it registered the beat of its fluttering heart, and if you ever came close enough to see the monster...it ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by Forge Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Primal Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Primal Waters

Trish
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this third novel old enemies, both human and animal, re-surface to haunt Jonas Taylor and his wife.

There is quite the big time jump between the second and third book. JT is 64 now and has a daughter and son with Terry. The Tanaka Institute has failed after the disaster of the second book and whales refusing to use the lagoon because of the lingering scent of Angel. Thus, Mr. Tanaka had to borrow a lot of money and is now in financial trouble. JT and Terry aren't doing much better so we're off
Hannah
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, horror
I'm not going to belabor the point and write up a long and detailed review of MEG: Primal Waters.

Suffice it to say, Steve Alten's "Meg" series (of which this is the 3rd), is for me what smut erotica is for its readership: hot sex, steamy sex, and nasty-is-that-even-physically-possible??-sex.

I like Alten's meg books for the butt clenching, nail biting, what if??, prehistoric-great-white-shark-eats-copious-amounts-of-humans-in-a-blood-and-gore-buffet kind of way.

I won't lie. Alten's writing isn't
Bradley
Sep 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-shelf, sci-fi
I think I must have been more than usually willing to suffer trash this month. Do I like trash? Well... sometimes... especially when it's horror trash.

This fits the bill... a little. :) Jaws on steroids. Chum in the water. A Reality TV show going really, really wrong.

Well, that part was pretty cool. :)

What I didn't care all that much for was the MC's. Jonah in his late sixties is kinda... hmmm... expectedly or unexpectedly boring. His damaged wife, too.

For the most part, I just waited to see who
Emma
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
The first part of the book had about as much energy as the main characters we all used to love; 18 years later and Mac is a dirty drunk, Jonas is Victor Meldrew, and Terry is still having nightmares from her kidnapping in the last book. They're mentally much older than their physical selves and it shows. I have some (teeny tiny) sympathy considering what they've been through but stop whining, dammit, Angel's back...

Thankfully, almost everyone gets a chance to redeem themselves in the last third.
Victoria
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I passed this book on the shelf and immediately was drawn to the massive shark on the cover. I have loved sharks for as long as I can remember - from watching Jaws at too young of an age, to pouring over non-fiction books and staying glued to the television for every single year of Shark Week. Needless to say, I was shocked that I had never stumbled across this thriller before. Though I soon realized that this is a middle book in the MEG series (and I loathe reading books out of order), I couldn ...more
Neko Neha (BiblioNyan)
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Primal Waters is the third instalment in the science-fiction, action-adventure series, Meg, written by Steve Alten. After learning that the Meg film will be releasing in August, I decided to re-read Primal Waters so that I could continue with the series and satisfy my building excitement for the upcoming theatrical debut. The book was a disappointment my first time reading through it, and I am sad to say, that it was painfully worse the second time around.

Primal Waters takes place eighteen
A girl has no name
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
919 pages of AWESOMENESS! Can't wait to dive into the next 1!
Robjr73
Dec 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I shouldn't give this book 4 stars I really shouldn't. The writing isn't great. The story is so far fetched...

You ever see that movie Sharknado? If you did then admit you sat thru the whole movie didn't you? For as much ridiculous bullshit that Sharknado threw at you it was impossible to not see it through to the end right? Maybe that's a bad example. How bout Jaws 4? Anyone remember that piece of trash? But we still watched it and enjoyed the shark kills didn't we?

This book is the spawn of Sha
Jim C
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This novel is the third one of a series. This can be a stand alone novel. Angel the shark is back and once again terrorizing the waters and causing chaos. This novel fulfills its intention. It is entertaining and does not claim to be serious literature. It has plenty of action and what could be better than a massive shark chomping on people? If you looking to be entertained and do not care how realistic a novel is, try this book.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2017
The front of this book has the blurb "Two words: Jurassic Shark!"

My review can be summed as:
Two words: Why say two words when you can say 3, or 4, or 50?

Seriously, there is so much info dumping about the history of every place, person, and object mentioned in the story. Every location (and there are several) basically has a full history explained, even though none of it pertains to the story at all.

At 25 pages, I wondered when the story was going to start.
At 50 pages, I seriously contemplated g
Justin Nelson
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oh my. This book could have been about 250 pages shorter...but then, how would we ever have witnessed the glory of THREE megalodons?!?! This one was tough to get through. All the characters are whiny and rancid. I just wanted the shark to eat them all. Also, the women tend to pass out a lot. Good thing the men are there to jump through the gills of a shark, get sucked up through a dredge hose, and make disgusting passes at them constantly! How many more ton go in this series?!
Scott Rhee
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What’s worse than giant prehistoric killer sharks? The answer, of course, is “Reality TV shows”. Seriously, nothing good ever came from watching that shit, and I say that as someone who is a “Jersey Shore” fan.

Book 3 of Steve Alten’s cheesily pulpy yet strangely addictive action/adventure series involving a megaladon named Angel, “Meg: Primal Waters”, is much like a reality show in its utter pointlessness, lack of any morally redeeming qualities, and almost mesmerizing ability to make the reader
Kay Oliver
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sharks! Mega sharks! You can't go wrong and Alten didn't. Loved this third installment though it was a little slow and to me, seemed to have a little less sharks and a little more story. I certainly enjoyed ever page however. And after that 120 foot find, I'm ready for book 4!
Di
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This installment has taken me the longest to finish so far and it was the least enjoyable as well. Fast forward a couple decades and we have an older Jonas and his family including two teen children, one who thinks she can do anything she wants because she's almost 18. She really grated on my nerves and I did not like how her character progressed at all. We again have the dual POV situation here, but it didn't bother me in this installment as much as it did in the second book.

The reality TV show
Lauren Locher
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
These books are more of a guilty pleasure and completely entertaining. They are like a car wreck that you can’t turn away from. You just have to pick up the next book to see what Alten is going to throw at you next and what crazy stunt Taylor is going to pull.
Pierre
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A joyous romp.
Ashton Noel
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This series is getting a bit repetitive and predictable.
Neil
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I had very mixed feelings about this book this time around. I was more disappointed with it after I finished reading it. It was funny - it really felt like the author had ripped off more scenes from different movies and expanded them for this book. The character development was so-so; I remembered the author developing the characters better the first time around. Jonas does have a nice epiphany towards the end of the book; it is kinda too bad he did not have it before that moment! hahahah! It do ...more
Bethany Kok
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Descriptions are literally copy-pasted from the previous books in the series. Fewer loving descriptions of bare breasts in this one, but lots of thong bikinis. Jonas goes from bemoaning his aching back in one scene to outswimming a Meg in the next. Too much bopping between plotlines-- at one point I actually lost track of how many Megs were in action. Overall, total fantasy-fulfillment lit for retired men.
A~
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, pdf
I don’t know where to begin…oh okay spoilers.Last book I said read like a James Bond Novel.This one was more like a wacky comedy.
What do you get when you have one family split between three locations each with their own shark? What happens when you put three hyper aggressive sharks together in the same oversized fish tank?“But if you have a shark and I have a shark then…uhoh”Tune in on NBC.
I moved this down from 3 stars to 2 because this BOOK SHOULD NOT EXIST.In the first book it was repeated ov
Paul
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great summertime, beach time, pool time book. No it's not Shakespeare, but it is entertaining fantastical, death, destruction, and mayhem. Also the people you most want harmed, invariably get eaten.
Thomas
I read MEG based on a blurb on the cover of the book: "Jurassic Shark!" At the time, I figured a description like that would make it either awesome or terrible. The book straddled the line for me -- it was horribly written, but entertaining as all get out.

Since then, Steve Alten has been a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I haven't read one of his books since The Loch in 2005, namely because I've been trying to read more than just schlock in recent years. Still, when I saw the ebook edition was
Randy Daugherty
Oct 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Years have passed since Jonas Taylor had his encounter with one of the greatest primal predators of all time.Having had his 15 minutes of fame,a rebellious teenage daughter, and a marriage that has seemed to lost its spark, Jonas is desperate for money.
He is offered a job as a co-anchor for a reality tv show, he has no choice he tells Terry his wife, who insist he takes their soon to be 18 daughter Dani with him.
The show is wrought with danger and not all of it in the water or the stunts being p
Mia Darien
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another fun giant shark mayhem romp through the ocean. I liked how Alten had his characters experiencing not just the immediate effects of trauma, but showing long term PTSD symptoms after putting them through major trauma in previous stories.

Alten does have an interesting writing style, with the use of exclamation points in exposition and ending/starting sentences with hyphens to show event breaks or provide drama. I don't mind it, but it is different.

Though I will say this was a very poorly ed
Alex
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
These are getting more and more entertaining as the series goes on, and I am having so much fun reading these. I enjoyed the reality TV show plot in this one, as well as the discovery that (view spoiler)

For some reason, I just love Angel. The other Megs - eh, I could take them or leave them. But something about that Angel….. I can't wait for the next one!
Meg
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it
I've got to admit... "Waffle's" review of this read sold me on what I thought was going to be Sharknado meets print; but, I was DELIGHTFULLY surprised!

Ridiculous? Yes.
Dramatic? A man flies through a gill... Yes.
Downright a laugh a minute? No.

I was expecting this book to be a guilty yet slightly stupid romp... and it was; but it was also entertaining, suspenseful and I could easily read another with very little guilt!
Deann Murphy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This was vacation reading for me and if you like to read about giant prehistoric sharks doing their thing, then this is the book for you. My husband loves this series and I borrow from him when he is done so this is not my normal choice of fiction. It's a quick easy read; you probably should avoid starting it if you are at the beach, but otherwise good fun.
Blake Bowen
Jan 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book has an incredibly high bodycount. But that's expected when you're dealing an animal like Angel. In this book Angel give birth to 2 pups. Jonas fights with Scarface, David and Mac deal with Angel, and Terry and some paleontologist fights an unamed Meg. Alten hardly evr disspoints with his books.
Apriel
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? I love sharks and the Meg series is one of my favorites! Alten did not disappoint with this addition. Five stars for one of my guilty pleasures!
Neil
I think this is the second time reading this book [maybe the third]. I read it back when it first came out; I may have read it again again in the past ten years; who knows. I must say, though, that I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more this time around as opposed to the first time I read it.

The basic plot is that Jonas and Terry are running low on money; they are about to lose the Tanaka Institute due to the Institute's star attraction having escaped eighteen years ago. Jonas is approached by a
2015 Reading Chal...: Meg: Primal Waters by Steve Alten 2 12 Jul 05, 2015 03:57AM
  • White Shark
  • Jaws The Revenge
  • Fountain Society
  • Thaw
  • Hotel Megalodon
  • Beneath the Dark Ice (Alex Hunter, #1)
  • Arrival (The Black #2)
  • Navigator
  • Crime Wave: Reportage and Fiction from the Underside of L.A.
  • Sacrifice
Steve Alten grew up in Philadelphia, earning his Bachelors degree in Physical Education at Penn State University, a Masters Degree in Sports Medicine from the University of Delaware, and a Doctorate of Education at Temple University. Struggling to support his family of five, he decided to pen a novel he had been thinking about for years. Working late nights and on weekends, he eventually finished ...more

MEG (6 books)
  • Meg (MEG, #1)
  • The Trench (MEG, #2)
  • Hell's Aquarium (MEG #4)
  • Nightstalkers (MEG, #5)
  • Generations (MEG #6)