Start by marking “Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box

Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box (Newsflesh 0.1)

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,915 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
A new short story from Mira Grant, the author of Feed. Every week five friends get together to play a game-- a game they call the Apocalypse Game. It's a fun time with chips and beer and plotting the end of the world. Except this time, one of them is missing and the stakes are higher than ever before.

Word count: ~3,900
Published April 18th 2011 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse Scenario #683, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse Scenario #683

karen
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hey-shorty
this is the best review i have ever written!! i am entering it into a book-reviewing contest. in which i will also eat pie!!

hahahah awesome! if every book i read this year is as short as this one, i am well on my way to victory!!!

but i am not trying to cheat - i really did want to read this, and since i borrowed this blessed nook, i was able to read all sorts of interstitial and prequel type books and stories.

and this one.

which is kind of neither, but is a fantastic story by an author who has
Jilly
This isn't worth reading because it's more like the first chapter of a book, or part of a short story. Cool idea- not even close to enough words. I like Mira Grant's writing and was hoping for a complete short story.
Sonja Arlow
May 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
This novella cost less than the price of a good cup of coffee yet I still felt a bit cheated.

This is one of the few author who normally publish quite meaty novellas, all of them never less than 100 pages so this 15 page one was definitely not expected. I didn’t even look at the length before buying this because I thought after reading 4 of her novellas I knew what to expect.

So although a let-down in terms of quantity, the quality was still as good as her other work in the Feed series yet this on
James
If the concept of Kindle locations maps evenly to pages across different books, I make this short story about 11 pages long. At £1.49 that's 13.5 pence per page. Which seems pretty expensive for a book. I probably wouldn't be complaining if the short story wasn't 'only' 50% of the download. Thinking I was approaching the half-way mark I was pretty disappointed to suddenly be presented with a page about Mira Grant, a photograph of her in an odd pose (I didn't read the accompanying text) and then ...more
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi-dystopia
The Good: I never buy short stories, but since I've loved everything written by Mira Grant, I decided to give this one a shot. It was much shorter than I expected, but the story was totally worth the purchase. This story was utterly captivating. Good premise, huge tension, abrupt on-point ending, every element of the story perfectly executed. This is how you do a short story.

The Bad: Not a thing.
Bonnie
Wow...Amazing!
Ace
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
this should be made into a novel... because i'm wanting more. i'm still thinking what could have happened...
Kat  Hooper
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
will review at www.fantasyliterature.com
Erynne Mitchell
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shortstories
While I really like everything else by Mira Grant that I've read, this one didn't quite do it for me. One major problem I had with it: if the pathogens have already been released and people were already symptomatic, inoculating people with a vaccine wouldn't actually do anything. Once you've had a pathogen introduced to your immune system, introducing MORE of the pathogen (which is what a vaccine does) would do very little to protect you.

I'm sad that this shortshort story wasn't better. Still wo
catharine
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, ebook, kindle
This was a bit disappointing. It reads like the cold open of a procedural TV show like Bones or House, and I'm left waiting for a story where something actually HAPPENS. This is all prelude, and while it does have a certain "Monkey's Paw" kind of charm at the end, I did not feel like I got my money's worth ($1.99 on Amazon).
Anelis
Er... How is this connected to the Newsflesh Trilogy again? Can anyone explain it to me? Sure it was a fun story but I kept waiting for the zombies to pop in and felt disappointed when it ended so abruptly.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
This must be the shortest short story ever written. But who cares!? It was perfect.
Victor
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
That was a disappointment.
There is nothing at all wrong with Mira Grant's short story (I don't even think it could be called a novella) Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box. The problem arises in that the short story just sits there, like a lump, 10 minutes after your started reading it. Staring at you. It's a $3 Kindle purchase, (or $2 I can't remember) and it takes 10 minutes to finish. When you've finished you realize that you're only 50% through the Kindle content (the rest is just the first c
Alex Telander
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
After the success of Feed, fans will be experiencing the impatient excruciating wait leading up to the release of the sequel, Deadline (due out May 31), with little to do but twiddle their page-turning fingers. Thankfully, Mira Grant and Orbit with the Orbit Short Fiction series have presented us fans with a brief respite; a kernel of entertainment in the form of a short story, “Apocalypse Scenario #683: The Box,” from the author as we count down the days to the final Deadline.

Friends are good;
Laura Crosse
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ok so when they said short story, they literally meant teeny, tiny, blink-and-you'll-miss-it story. This is so ridiculously short I don't see why Mira Grant bothered to release this for SALE (as in you have to pay for it). This is what irritates me about kindle books, you can't see what you're paying for. If I had known that this book was literally ten pages long there isn't a hope in hell I would have paid for it. Yes it was only about two euro but still. It should have been free.

The actual st
ScarlettMi
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Newsflesh Trilogy
I don't read a lot of short stories. Typically I like to read something long and immersive and something that, if I'm reading a physical book, could be used as a blunt weapon if need be. It's not that I think they're bad, it's just not my favourite medium.

Every once in a while, however, I'll give one a shot and I always tend to find that the ones I enjoy the most are usually the ones that provide a snapshot into something disturbing. Horror and suspense and thrillers all lend themselves well to
Susan
I actually read this as part of When Will You Rise, but am reviewing it here because it's available separately.

This is a terrific short story. It's good to see Grant's concern with the apocalyptic end of the world give rise to other scenarios than the zombie one in the Newsflesh Trilogy. It's only 15 pages long, and sets up a terrific dilemma for its characters and the reader.

My only quarrel with it is that Grant got sloppy at the end. In trying to tie it up neatly, she ended with a sentence tha
Blue
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Hard to separate my feelings on the actual story from my feelings on the fact that I paid $3 for something that was barely a few pages long. Apocalypse doesn't have much to offer, really. It's a short little piece of fiction that's dark, as one would expect from the author of the Newsflesh trilogy, but the emphasis here is really on short. Nothing wrong with that when it's part of a compilation or something, but I felt a bit ripped off when I realized I'd paid to download it by itself on my Kind ...more
Kerry
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an interesting little story - very little actually as only half the small file is the story and the rest is a teaser for Feed.

I'm feeling fairly dumb (but then I have had a headache all day and I'm coming down with the flu), but I couldn't completely work out exactly how the scenario was supposed to work. I get the first bit, but not the second and the choice the characters have to make.

If someone out there did get it, could you let me know in the comments? I assume spoiler tags can be
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I downloaded this from Audible and...it's pretty good. I really can't go more than 3 stars on it as it's plain where the story is going from the first line and there's little or no surprise or innovation. There is however a nice "pall" of terror and realization among the characters. You have a bit of the "Lady and the Tiger feel also as the story leaves you wondering what each character will do and what will be the outcome.

It's okay and for the low price I paid I can't complain at all. If you're
Misty Moncrief
Nov 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
When the reviews say it's short, it's short. Great Mira Grant writing but it's like reading the first paragraph of a book and stopping. That's what this book felt like. I love Mira Grant but feel that this "book" should never have been released. It's a teaser, great intro but wheres the meat????
Gina
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is a short story at only 21 pages. It's OK. The premise was interesting - a group of friends get together on Friday nights to play a game they invented called The Apocalypse Game - but not as well executed as I expect from Grant.
Scott
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Short story from Mira Grant ~ a bunch of friends are playing a game (Apocalypse) that they have been playing every week for 15 years ~ one of the friends doens't show but sends a tape recorded message ~ is she playing the game? Or has the game become real life?

A very enjoyable read.
Indigo
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Short. Sweet. Chilling.

Seanan McGuire, writing as Mira Grant, has a gift for making you care about her characters -- even the ones in her short stories.

Tanglebones
Aug 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terrifying little apocalypse short story from Mira Grant.
Kara
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Good but unfulfilling. What's important is what happens next, and we can only guess.
George
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool setup, too bad it's not a full novel.
Rachel
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, fiction, zombie
This short story is really just the length of about one chapter. The description on Amazon says 45 pages but I think it’s shorter. It’s hard to tell because it’s e-book only. So the first thing I’ll say about it is that it’s not worth the $1.99 Amazon is charging for it!

It’s an eerie story that can stand on its own, kind of like a Twilight Zone episode. However, I found it to be more confusing than mysterious. I read it twice (since it only takes ten minutes to read!) and I still don’t understan
Kevin Murphy
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good short-short. Listened to it via hoopla, read by the author herself.

The premise is great, the execution is flawless. My only complaint is that I knew the end within seconds of Cole starting to speak. Predictability in horror undermines the fear that it's supposed to cause; but the real dread here winds up coming closer to the end, not with a twist but an ethical dilemma.

I wouldn't spend money on this story individually, but it's well worth reading/hearing if you can find it for free (throu
Kim
I listened to the audio version read by the author, Mira Grant, who did a fine job. The audio is 22 minutes long.

Short, but sweet. It's definitely worth a listen if you like Mira Grant's novels. It's currently available on Hoopla Digital, which means you can listen for free if your library offers the service.
Goodreads Librari...: Newsflesh series 14 26 Feb 27, 2018 04:41PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Apocalypse scenario #683. I'm confused. [spoilers] 5 51 Mar 16, 2012 02:52AM
  • One Hell of a Ride (InCryptid, #0.02)
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Seeds of Change
  • As The World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 2
  • In The Land Of The Dead (Rot & Ruin, #1.5)
  • Rebirth (Aftertime, #2)
  • Ground Zero (The Becoming, #2)
Mira also writes as Seanan McGuire.

Born and raised in Northern California, Mira Grant has made a lifelong study of horror movies, horrible viruses, and the inevitable threat of the living dead. In college, she was voted Most Likely to Summon Something Horrible in the Cornfield, and was a founding member of the Horror Movie Sleep-Away Survival Camp, where her record for time survived in the Swamp C
More about Mira Grant

Newsflesh (4 books)
  • Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Blackout (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Feedback (Newsflesh, #4)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)