Start by marking “A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don't!)” as Want to Read:

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The "New York Times" bestseller that offers clear solutions to the key issues facing our nation.

Armed with little money but a lot of common sense, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee surprised the nation by coming in second during the 2008 Republican presidential primaries. He connected with millions of voters by calling for a smaller, simpler government that would get
Published February 1st 2011 by Sentinel (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Simple Government, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Simple Government

Kris
There's a fine line between simple and simplistic. Huckabee hovers around that line. In certain places he makes great points, expresses good ideas, and writes well. In other places he tends to over-simplify the problem and leaves me unsatisfied. I had to knock this down a star for the times he singles out things/ignores things/doesn't explain both sides as well as he should.

But then again, it is his book! He can focus on whatever he wants.
Liv
Jan 18, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond horrible. Negative five stars. Might actually be the most sickening and stupid book I have ever read.
Michael
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find Mike Huckabee to be entirely affable. He just seems like a nice man. Sure, he's a politician and sometimes says foolish things (as he did today on some radio show), but overall, he's incredibly likable. Does he have a snowball's chance in Hell of becoming President? I don't think so: he's too conservative, I think, to have wide appeal to the moderates and independents who actually elect Presidents in this country. With that said...who knows? Could anyone have predicted Barack Obama five o ...more
Kristin
A simple book. He criticizes Obama's administration issue by issue and talks about how he'd do it better. It was quite hard to swallow his views on same-sex marriage and homosexuality as well as his Christian perspective but I read on and agreed with a lot of his other points especially education and the economy.

The fact that he is smart enough to stick to TV and radio, where he can make money instead of running in 2012, makes me think he actually has his head on pretty straight.

Book
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Simple Government: Twelve Things We Really Need from Washington (and a Trillion That We Don’t!) by Mike Huckabee

“A Simple Government" is an insightful look at Mike Huckabee’s political philosophy. He espouses a simple government and provides twelve talking points that would help get our country back on track. Former governor of Arkansas, ordained Southern Baptist minister, and conservative talk show personality Mike Huckabee shares his views in a straightforward manner. Find out why this progr
R. Riddle
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: government
This review was not requested nor was I paid to do a review.

Mike Huckabee's A Simple Government proved to be an excellent read. I often find books about government issues usually dry and difficult to read. This was not the case with A Simple Government.

Although I am a busy man, I found myself continually brought back to the book. Page after page was intriguing. The only thing that kept me from finishing it much faster than I did was the fact that I injured myself (no fault of Huckabe's) and suff
Melissa Armato
This was my first Non-Fiction read in a long while so it didn't intrigue me as much as the other books I read. I am still processing my thoughts on this book. Sure, he has an ideology that makes sense and I agree with most of what he says needs to be done, but how he backs his arguments...I just think too much of it is opinion. He needs cold hard evidence to convince the people who need to make the change, ie Congress and President Obama. I am also a little torn on some of his beliefs but that d ...more
Tom Lange
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
No suprise that this is basicly a "this is my platform" peice for a candidate. No problem there but also no real groundbreaking substance. This is, for the most part, one mans view on the state of society and the country. A view that he widely has already communcated on other platforms of media. The vast majority is conservative wish lists and arguments that conservatives have been talking about since the Reagan adminstration ended. Normally never making much headway even when the "conservative" ...more
Kristen Wampner
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is Mike Huckabee's version of what the government should be like. In each chapter, he briefly describes one aspect of what the government should or shouldn't do. The majority of his ideas are nothing new or groundbreaking.

The basic concept is the federal government should do what the constitution says it should do, namely unify the states and protect the borders.

Here are some of the ideas that he covers in various chapters:

family values
local vs federal government
control spending and
Steve Comstock
I don't disagree with most of his points, but the entire book is the same Reaganite arguments every other big name Republican writes. What I mean is, he is not grounded in his thesis (spending an entire chapter on the downfall of family and solutions to proper family life, when his book is supposed to be restricted to "a simple government"). He quotes iffy statistics (I do not really trust statistics anyways, but we conservatives have a nasty habit of doing horrible research). He is certainly af ...more
Dennis
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While there may be a few particulars on which Gov Huckabee and I do not see completely eye-to-eye, I certainly find the whole of his opinions valid and important for all Americans to consider. While our country has many problems in policy and attitudes, there is hope and some common sense changes that can be made to bring us to a level of stature and prominence on the world stage we have had in the past. I highly recommend this book to all!!

Excerpt:"Christian believers who have read to the end
Rachelle
May 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A Simple Government" offers 12 governing principles to solve our nations problems. His priorities are: family values, local government, government spending and debt, simple and fair taxation, health care, education, the environment, immigration reform, terrorism, military policy, foreign relations, and faith in God. In general, Huckabee's solutions are optimistic and reasonable, but he can't resist some sarcastic and pointed criticisms of President Obama. It seems to be a campaign brochure masq ...more
Amber
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this book was too much for me. I couldn't get through it. He has a few.. VERY few accurate points, and if the subject matter .. or his opinions were in less contrast to mine he would be an easy author to read. But to Mike Huckabee the world exists in black and white, .. which is never the case when it comes to people.

Purely on writing style I found it to be easy and friendly. Much like having a conversation.

... Its just a conversation I would walk away from because I'm not into postu
Maryann
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
If you watch Fox News,then you already know 90% of what Mr. Huckabee covers in this book. I was put off in the beginning when he states that "this book is for 80% of the people out there to read and if half of us bought and read his book,he and his wife would be set for their retirement." On the Kindle the book is only about 80%, the last 20% is the bibliography/index. He has some ideas for changing government, but since he has pulled out of the race, I skimmed over them. So, for me, this book i ...more
Naomi Blackburn
I don't know how else to say it, but same stuff...different book. I love Mike Huckabee's story books, but his political books irritate me to no end and remind me why I would never vote for him for President. In all political books from every angle, the same thing is said over and over and over again with either different authors or even the same authors recyling information. Huckabee did have some interesting study results in the book, but it wasn't enough to keep my interest.
Patrik
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly simple overview by Huckabee wherein he lays out his position on many issues this country is dealing with from healthcare to immigration reform to our soaring nation debt. As the title suggests he discusses 12 topics, providing citations where necessary to help validate his position, where the government has gone astray and could use a nudge back in the direction of the simpler government it was originally intended to be.
Susan Coley
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fictio
This guy is too nice to run for president and isn't that sad. As he said is the last chapters, it's all "gotcha media". It doesn't matter what kind of person you are and that you made up for your mistakes. One misstep and the media is all over that instead of what you are about. I didn't like the chapter about teachers. I'm tried of teachers being the end-all in education. What about kids wanting to learn? It's been a bad day with know-it-all kids.
James McHugh
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
A great read for conservatives. Liberal minded readers will have a hard time seeing past Huckabee’s stance as a Conservative, Christian politician, but there is some helpful insight to gain in this reading if it can be ignored. Ideas on health care and genuine looks at how redistribution of wealth, obsessions with not enforcing our borders for all the wrong reasons and the family unit are all discussed in ways that any listener should be able to wrap their head around.
Joseph Harris
Mar 04, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm done with this book. In typical fashion, it's the same language and talking points you hear from everyone on the Right. I suspect that Karl Rove writes all these peoples' books and speeches personally. Anyway, in the imortal works of Oderus Urungus, I'm not willing to spend any more time on this. If I wanted to hear this simplistic, condescending clap-trap, I would just watch Fox News.
Dianna
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lots of common sense but also a lot of over-simplification to the issues we face today. Of course, it's one sided but then most political books are that way. Coming from a liberal leaning person, he's an O.K. guy, considering he's a conservative. :) I say that with friendship because we truly can agree with most things. That's a good thing.
Rebecca Jackson
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book and some very good ideas, but first you have to get past the Obama bashing. I am not a fan of Obama by any means - he scares me in many ways, but I do feel it detracts from the book. That said I do believe Mr. Huckabee has some excellent ideas on what we can do to make our country great again. This is a book that I would share with others and strongly recommend.
BJG
Oct 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't usually enjoy political books, but thought I'd give this a try after Game Change which I really enjoyed. This was good, but not great. It was educational for me in many areas, but, also remembering that it's Huckabee's perspective, I also found that I really didn't agree with him on several issues.
Akhet
Mar 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Glad I took the time to listen to the author read this book. His warm personality comes through. I like his humor, humbleness and world view. he does a good job of explaining the implications of various policy decisions. I wish there were more people in leadership with his demeanor and faith. It is clear he gets the gospel. He clearly illustrated why Christians live with great hope.
Ryan
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and his analogy about the Arizona Razorbacks towards the end almost got it to 5 stars. It was written describing events from 2009, 2010 so it is a little outdated now though for the most part the problems today, our debt for example, are far worst than before!
Greg Miller
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit "wonkish," with LOTS of in-depth analysis and details about many current issues... but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this book, read by the author. I agree with about 95% of what he says, and also appreciate his Christian perspective on public policy issues.
Adam Graham
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid educational book on policy. Huckabee lays out common sense vision in a home spun fashion, coming on strongest when going after the weakness of Obama's foreign policy. It's really too bad he wasn't our nominee.
Shannon
There were some points that I thought he was right on and then there were some points that I thought he was just being as partisan as he accuses the left of being. Overall a pretty quick read and if the man is going to run for president, it doesn't hurt to know what he stands for.
Mary
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Doris Williams
Shelves: political
Mike Huckabee has a common sense approach to the problems that we're facing right now. Twelve things every American should know and understand. If only those running the country had such a commonsense approach to these same problems.
Art
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly enjoyable read. Huckabee's political agenda includes social values conservatism and a moderately conservative economic agenda tinged with a touch of middle-America populism. Would recommend to those who enjoy political science books.
This reads like sitting across the table talking to Gov. Huckabee over coffee. Simple and with great ideas, but I'm more compelled by facts and figures that I can go doublecheck for myself. This is a good one for those who want an intro into the 'reduced government' movement.
  • This Is Herman Cain!: My Journey to the White House
  • Broke : The Plan to Restore our Trust, Truth and Treasure
  • Fed Up!: Our Fight to Save America from Washington
  • The New Reagan Revolution: How Ronald Reagan's Principles Can Restore America's Greatness
  • Trickle Up Poverty: Stopping Obama's Attack on Our Borders, Economy, and Security
  • The Tea Party Goes to Washington
  • Disinformation
  • God of Liberty: A Religious History of the American Revolution
  • A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat
  • The Writer's Block: 786 Ideas to Jump-Start Your Imagination
  • The O'Reilly Factor: The Good, the Bad, and the Completely Ridiculous in American Life
  • Chaos Theory: Two Essays on Market Anarchy
  • See, I Told You So
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
American politician and a political commentator for Fox News Channel. A member of the Republican Party,

Huckabee served as governor of the U.S. state of Arkansas from 1996 to 2007 and finished second in the 2008 United States Republican presidential primaries; he announced his candidacy on January 28, 2007. Following losses to John McCain in the Texas, Ohio, Vermont, and Rhode Island primaries, Mc
More about Mike Huckabee...

“It will be like having an extreme close-up in high definition to examine each freckle, while failing to notice whether the person is even wearing pants.” 2 likes
“Every amendment in the Bill of Rights expressly tells the government what IT is forbidden to do, not one of them explains what the people can't do” 1 likes