Start by marking “Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team” as Want to Read:
Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team

Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  215 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Adventure nonfiction at its best by the co-author, with Gene Hackman, of Wake of the Perdido Star.

Submerged is Daniel Lenihan's remarkable story of 25 years as founder and head of the Submerged Cultural Resource Unit (SCRU)—ranging from ancient ruins covered by reservoirs in the desert Southwest to a World War II submarine off the Alaskan coast; from the Isle Royale shipwr
Published January 25th 2002 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Submerged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Submerged

BJ
I enjoyed this book very much. Tales of and Elite Underwater Archeology Dive Team for the National Park Service. Talks about cave diving, body retrieval, ship wrecks, diving in Hawaii, Florida, Great Lakes, Pearl Harbor, Aleutian Islands, Bikini, etc. Gave a glimpse of how this dive team helps to protect our nation's history. Engrossing.

For MMD 2017 Reading Challenge #1, Reading for Fun #7 - a book in a genre you usually avoid.
Ky Matthes
When he's talking about the actual dive adventures, it's fantastic. However everything else is kind of boring and he comes off as an asshole with an overinflated sense of self worth.
Joe McDonough
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to this book since I've enjoyed many others about diving/shipwrecks and am a pretty big history fan. However, I could barely get through this book. I kept waiting for some amazing discovery or exciting dive but nothing much ever happens. They usually just dive, look at an old boat, map it and leave. For example, they trek deep into a site in Hawaii to explore a lake no one's ever dived. They look around, have some trouble getting stuff back up a helicopter and leave finding ...more
Linda Hunt
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book I read carefully from cover to cover - no skimming or scanning - because I wanted to catch every word and detail. How interesting it was to learn about the efforts to preserve underwater archaeological sites through the National Parks Service. How touching and informative to read about the Arizona in Pearl Harbor, and the respect these people have for her and the bodies that went down with her and still remain there. Places like Nan Madol, and the caves in Florida, and the towns c ...more
Chain Reading
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: scribd
I'm never going to do this myself - dive in caves and underwater buildings and shipwrecks of pirate ships and warships. So I'll just read books like this. This is a book about a life's work written by an archaeologist who headed a special diving unit that was part of the National Park Service. The book is largely in chronological order, which can be a little disjointed, as they skip around geographically, and sometimes visit the same wreck several chapters apart. Despite the lack of literary str ...more
Holly
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Loved this book - anyone who's interested in the preservation of historical sites should read this book. The author has the ability to weave history throughout his modern narrative so that we never forget the importance of the dive sites. If you don't normally read non-fiction I would say make an exception for this book.
Mariah
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scuba-diving
I loved this book and didn't want to put it down each night. The book follows the creation of the Nationsl Parks Service's SCRU program. It misuses two of the things I most love: scuba diving and history. While non-fiction, the book reads like a fiction novel. Lenihan shares stories of SCRU's 30 year existence with him as head. He shares stories from around the world as well as life lessons.
Brad Beattie
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a real eye opener to underwater world
I would never had imagined existed. To bad so many are unaware
of the beauty and the mystery that exists .
Daniel
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read. I found the book both informative and interesting as Dan Lenihan gives his personal perspective on the creation and operations of the NPS SCRU team.
Chad Montabon
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. If you like 'procedural' shows, Pirates, adventure, the occasional grim reminder and are a diver or an aspirational diver this book will be a joy for you.
Ian
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review at LibraryThing.
Ellen
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fascinating - I had no idea that the National Park System employes underwater archeologists.
Kass Rippee
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-comm
This was an interesting read. Made me wish that I could go diving right now!
Clare
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed this book here: http://www.learntodivetoday.co.za/blo...
Jessica
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, nonfiction
3.5 stars. Very readable nonfiction. Exciting at times; too detailed and in the weeds at others.
May 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: scuba divers
Actually, this is a really fascinating account about how SCRU (the Submerged Cultural Resources Unit) was started as a part of the National Park Service in the early 1970s. I loved it because of the diving of course, but I think any adventure seeker would enjoy living vicariously through Lenihan be it cave diving or tropical Micronesian diving. There is also a very touching account of the teams dive aboard the USS Arizona.
fbz
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I could not get through it. I ditched reading it 7/8ths of the way through. I thought it would be fascinating, as i got my open water diving cert last year. Turns out, this book is so badly written, that it is unreadable.
Tom Menke
Jul 30, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria
  • The Last Dive: A Father and Son's Fatal Descent into the Ocean's Depths
  • Raising the Hunley: The Remarkable History and Recovery of the Lost Confederate Submarine
  • Neutral Buoyancy: Adventures in a Liquid World
  • Mapping the Deep: The Extraordinary Story of Ocean Science
  • Diving into Darkness: A True Story of Death and Survival
  • Jamestown, the Buried Truth
  • The Wisdom of the Myths: How Greek Mythology Can Change Your Life (Learning to Live, #2)
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • The Eternal Darkness: A Personal History of Deep-Sea Exploration
  • Frozen in Time: The Fate of the Franklin Expedition
  • Evolution's Captain: The Dark Fate of the Man Who Sailed Charles Darwin Around the World
  • The Dionne Years: A Thirties Melodrama
  • The Power of the Sea: Tsunamis, Storm Surges, Rogue Waves, and Our Quest to Predict Disasters
  • Amazon Extreme: Three Ordinary Guys, One Rubber Raft and the Most Dangerous River on Earth
  • Sealab: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor
  • Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors
  • Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea
Underwater archaeologist. Dan was the founding chief of what is now the Submerged Resources Center of the US National Park Service. He also co-authored three novels with Hollywood actor Gene Hackman.
More about Daniel Lenihan