Start by marking “Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)” as Want to Read:
Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)

Crosscut (Evan Delaney #4)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  741 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
For Evan Delaney, China Lake was a tough place to grow up. But she didn't realize just how tough until, returning to the desert military base for her high school reunion, she discovers that a disturbing number of her classmates have died young.
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published September 2005 by Hodder (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Crosscut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crosscut

Melanie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Michael
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2009
In the fourth Evan Dalaney novel, Evan returns to China Lake for her high school reunion and discovers that the death toll among her classmates is unusually high. After two classmates are brutally murdered, Evan suspects something is up and begins to piece together what might be killing her classmates.

It all stems back to a day when the group took a field trip to the local Navy base and were exposed to some kind of experiment. The results are still haunting and affecting the group to this day an
Sheila
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a thriller. Wowza. When Evan returns to her hometown for her 15 year class reunion she has no idea what a terrorizing ride she would shortly be on. As If attending a class reunion is scary enough how about a serial killer taking out members of your class including 2 during the reunion. I loved this book.

There is something for everybody here. School rivalries, serial killers, really bizarre crime scenes, super soldiers, government conspiracies, classified lab experiments, family drama.
Miriam Smith
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is exactly how I like my serial killer thrillers to be like! Gory, fast paced, thrilling and twists and turns all the way. This was a roller coaster ride that i thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend!!!
Neil Collins
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Crosscut is the fourth in Meg Gardiner's Evan Delany series, and a masterfully written and constructed story.

This time around, Evan and her on again, off again fiancé Jesse have returned to China Lake, California for Evan's high school reunion only to learn that an inordinate number of her classmate have passed away under odd circumstances. And yet another alum has missed the festivities because she had been brutally tortured and murdered that evening. And I though my reunion sucked!

Gardiner's k
Kathleen Hagen
Crosscut, by Meg Gardiner, B-plus. Narrated by Tanya Edy Sirois, produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Evan Delaney is a journalist. This is apparently a series and I’ve started with the last book first. Evan’s boy friend is Jamie, who now uses a wheelchair because of a car accident which permanently paralyzed him and killed his best friend. Evan decides to return for her highschool class reunion in China Lake, a military base, and Jamie goes with her. They decide as a lark t
Phoebe
I was reminded of this book when I started to re-attempt reading _The Nightmare Thief_, a book in the Jo Beckett series that has a crossover appearance by Evan Delaney from Gardiner's earlier series. It seemed like I was missing some backstory for Evan so I put _Thief_ on pause to finish the Evan Delaney series first. So next up was _Crosscut_, which I located in print and placed on hold at a local library.

It was strange to read a book in paperback again. I'm so used to lazily tapping on a word
Carl Alves
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The basic premise of Crosscut is a pretty good one. Evan Delaney returns to China Lake for her 15 year high school reunion. When she goes there she realizes that many of her classmates have died under unusual circumstances. It all ties back to an explosion at the naval base where secret operations were being held during a class trip. Now, some of her classmates are being murdered pretty horrifically, and it all ties back to Coyote, a CIA operative that was exposed to the same thing that is harmi ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I really enjoyed this 4th book in the Evan Delaney Series. As before Meg Gardiner grabbed me from the first paragraph and kept me turning the pages, reading furiously until the last word. Although I was a bit put off by one of Evan's decisions in the novel, and that is why I deducted a full star in my rating. That one decision, I'll keep to myself.

Evan Delaney and Jesse Blackburn return to China Lake for Evan's 15th High School Reunion. Many of her classmates are dead - too many. And in the cou
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never flipped to the end of a book to read the last page just to make sure everything turns out ok... Until now. Meg Gardiner is a master of suspense, and no one keeps me on the edge of my seat like she does.

This is the fourth book in the Evan Delaney series and it's a nail biter. (And by the way, flipping to the end and reading the last page made me no less anxious.) Evan and Jessie are finally back on solid ground, but the ground is being pulled out from underneath them. Evan has been
Shiela
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
When returning to China Lake, a desert military base for her fifteen year high school reunion, Evan discovers that a startling number of her classmates have died young in seemingly unrelated ways. As the reunion festivities begin, the body of an organizer is found brutally murdered…and that is just the beginning. Evan suspects the death of her classmates has something to do with their shared past.

This is the fourth book in the Evan Delaney series and I wish I had started at the beginning. Althou
Rouelle
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Crosscut is my first Meg Gardiner book and I was excited to read it because of the cover and the plot. I bought this around 2 years ago, read the first few chapters then decided to read another book instead because I lost interest. So this year, I saw this on my bookshelf after I rearranged my books. I decided to give it another chance...

There were some parts that got me determined to flip the pages but after a while it started to bore me, again! Don't get me wrong, I find this book good but not
Shona
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a slightly odd book full of unexciting information leading to an all too small climax.

Someone is gradually killing off members of an old high school class and it is up to one class memember to find the killer. Having back ground information about the reasoning of the killings and the possible suspects Evan decides to try and stop the killings before more of her old class and herslef get killed. Of course this can only lead to one thing: she ends up right smack bang in the middle of thin
Chris Longmuir
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant book. I'd never read anything by Meg Gardiner before so wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a book full of action and suspense with a likeable character in Evan Delaney. In Crosscut a serial killer is targeting Evan's former schoolmates and she has to find him before the rest of her friends are killed, and of course, she is also on the killer's hit list. The reason for the killings is hidden in the past when Evan and her classmates were in the vicinity of an explosion ...more
Debra
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "Full of classic Gardiner one-liners...but mostly there's a serious freezerload of scare-you-silly chills."

King says this about the Evan Delaney series: "Simply put, the finest crime suspense series I've come across in the last twenty years...your basic can't-put-'em-down thrill rides."

4/12/13 I agree with King. This is the finest series I've read in a while. What a thrill ride. This kept me reading all day and into the late hours of the night.
Kurt Adam
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, Crosscut certainly made up for my somewhat tepid response to the previous Evan Delaney thriller. This one definitely lives up to the name. The action is ratcheted up to a fever pitch, and the killer is a great creation. Gardiner does a great job of interleaving the various threads of the story (Evan's POV, the killer's POV, and others) and dragging the reader along wanting to know what is going to happen next. The scenes where the killer kills his victims are vivid and grisly. They're defi ...more
Pr Latta
[audio] Fourth in the Evan Delaney suspense thrillers, Evan and Jesse's relationship is more firmly established and her parents play a significant role. Once again, NAWS China Lake is the site where it all began. The action in the story (and violence and bodies and chase scenes) takes place between Santa Barbara, LA, and China Lake (about 4 hours drive). On audio, I sometimes found it difficult to orient myself wanting a map and colored pins. I find Gardiner's books compelling and the main chara ...more
stephanie
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
the body count keeps increasing. man.

i liked the beginning of this much better than the ending. i just - why the body count?

i still love evan. i don't love jesse as much, but he's still great. evan's parents on the other hand were really a bright spot in the book.

i don't want to spoil anything, so i feel like there's not a lot i can say. but.

let's just say i need to get a hold of Kill Chain about yesterday.
Elana Centor
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I started reading Meg Gardiner's Jo Beckett series and now reading Evan Delaney series. I do prefer Jo Beckett. This story was so dark that I just wanted it to end. Too many deaths. Maybe reading this so soon after Sandy Hook caused my reaction to all the deaths but I really warn not in the mood. I'm not sure why I don't like Evan as much as Jo . I do love the love story between Evan and Jesse. And, I will read the remaining books in this series.
Lynn
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Crosscut is #4 in the Evan Delaney series. In this outing, Evan is attending her 15 year high school reunion. As if that thought alone isn't enough to cause palpitations, Evan finds out that an unusually high percentage of her classmates have died. That number will increase over reunion weekend.

Although I've enjoyed Meg Gardiner's other books, this one is really low on the believability scale. It's action packed and, as always, Gardiner keeps the plot racing.
Joy
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it

It all stems back to a day when the group took a field trip to the local Navy base and were exposed to some kind of experiment. I think it was much too long but found it entertaining.
Alisa
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Powerful thriller about what happens when your high school classmates begin to die and the common threads are linked to federal government black ops. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I guessed the ending half way through, but that is probably more from the fact that I've read all of Meg Gardiner's books is in less than two months -- patterns do begin to repeat themselves adn she's still more skilled than many in the genre.
Victoria
This was a good installation. It made me upset, sad, and glad right when the author intended.

characters:
The usual characters were great as always. Still detest her cousin Taylor. The other characters that are brought in were excellent as well.

Plot:
The story was great. It kept piecing together up until the end. Even when I thought I had it figured out in the middle there was still more to come.
Graham
Not bad, decent page turner. When I picked this up, I didn't realize it was part of a series... Apparently there's already been substantial character development on "Evan Delaney" et-al in previous novels in the series, so the first 100 pgs or so, names kept popping up that an avid reader would already know.

Reminded me very much of Lisa Gardner, which is another suspense/action series.

I'm sure I'll pick up more Meg Gardiner in the future.
T.M. Carper
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
An excellent suspense novel filled with twists and heartache. Evan's reunion turns into a battle for survival after someone begins to hunt down participants on a field trip that were sprayed with a chemcial during an explosion in the desert. Filled with several murders, "Crosscut" is a heart-pounding ride from start to finish as Evan and her family fight to get to the bottom of a cover-up before Evan becomes the next classmate to die.
Joy
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this latest installment of Evan's story. I actually have decided that I like Jesse more than I did in the previous books too. It is my opinion that these books should be read in order.

Once you accept the basic premise, which really stretches the boundaries of reality, it is a pretty wild ride.
Marcus Lynn
In this fourth of five books in her Evan Delaney series, Gardiner continues to shock us with "whodunit" it. I became a fan with the first 3 books, particularly because Gardiner can write a quirky, funny phrase. I really LIKE the main characters. Characters developed more in this installment, but the writing itself wasn't as strong and sometimes hard to follow.

Lisa Anne
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Meg Gardiner's works! This is the second book I've read by her, and I find her writing to be very descriptive, allowing me to paint a nice visual picture. This book was no exception. While I found this book to be a tad of the sci-fi side for me personally, I still found it interesting.
JayeL
Apr 17, 2014 added it
Shelves: own, audio, 2014
2014: This was another entertaining mystery by Meg Gardiner. I liked it, but I wished that there was more at the end, after the bad guy was killed to act as kind of cool down of the story. I wanted to hear more of the whys and wherefores, like Gardiner did in [author:Liar's Lullaby}
Trudy
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New Author for me...

I liked the writing style and the main characters were interesting - would definitely like to see more of them. The mystery itself bordered on sci fi, so it kind of left me a little flat. The action was good, the suspense was good, so I guess I would pick up another by this author just to see if the sci fi bent is typical for her.
  • Family Values
  • The Crater
  • Revolution #9
  • The Illusionist
  • White Man's Grave
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Common Carnage
  • The Write Man for Her
  • Latitude Zero
  • Katie's Hero
  • Good Enough to Dream
  • Watch Your Back! (Dortmunder, #13)
  • Shadow Season
  • Waiting
Meg Gardiner is a bestselling, Edgar Award winning author. A former lawyer and lecturer at the University of California, she's also a three-time Jeopardy! champion. Born in Oklahoma, she grew up in Santa Barbara, California, and lives in Austin.

China Lake won the 2009 Edgar award from the Mystery Writers of America for Best Paperback Original. The Nightmare Thief won the 2012 Audie Award for Thril
More about Meg Gardiner...

Evan Delaney (5 books)
  • China Lake (Evan Delaney, #1)
  • Mission Canyon (Evan Delaney, #2)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)