Start by marking “Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)” as Want to Read:
Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)

Crosscut

(Evan Delaney #4)

For Evan Delaney, China Lake was a tough place to grow up. But she didn't realize just how tough until, returning to the desert military base for her high school reunion, she discovers that a disturbing number of her classmates have died young.
Mass Market Paperback, 438 pages
Published September 2005 by Hodder (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Crosscut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crosscut

Start your review of Crosscut (Evan Delaney, #4)
Melanie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Michael
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2009
In the fourth Evan Dalaney novel, Evan returns to China Lake for her high school reunion and discovers that the death toll among her classmates is unusually high. After two classmates are brutally murdered, Evan suspects something is up and begins to piece together what might be killing her classmates.

It all stems back to a day when the group took a field trip to the local Navy base and were exposed to some kind of experiment. The results are still haunting and affecting the group to this day an
Miriam Smith
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is exactly how I like my serial killer thrillers to be like! Gory, fast paced, thrilling and twists and turns all the way. This was a roller coaster ride that i thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend!!!
Karen Jarvis
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’d forgotten how graphic Meg’s books are. Scary concept. Lockdown book 24
Carl Alves
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The basic premise of Crosscut is a pretty good one. Evan Delaney returns to China Lake for her 15 year high school reunion. When she goes there she realizes that many of her classmates have died under unusual circumstances. It all ties back to an explosion at the naval base where secret operations were being held during a class trip. Now, some of her classmates are being murdered pretty horrifically, and it all ties back to Coyote, a CIA operative that was exposed to the same thing that is harmi ...more
Sheila
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a thriller. Wowza. When Evan returns to her hometown for her 15 year class reunion she has no idea what a terrorizing ride she would shortly be on. As If attending a class reunion is scary enough how about a serial killer taking out members of your class including 2 during the reunion. I loved this book.

There is something for everybody here. School rivalries, serial killers, really bizarre crime scenes, super soldiers, government conspiracies, classified lab experiments, family drama.
Trish Goodgame
Jun 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Evan Delaney returns in the new thriller from Meg Gardiner. For Evan, China Lake was a tough place to grow up. But she didn't realise just how tough until, returning to the desert military base for her high school reunion, she discovers that a disturbing number of her classmates have died young. The morning after the reunion another is found, savagely butchered. She is just the first. Someone in China Lake has a major axe to grind with the class of '91. And that includes Evan...

I read this back
Alice Teets
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first was published, loved it, then promptly forgot the title and have been looking for it for the last decade. (My kids were toddlers way back them; I blame my brain fog on that.)

This was a great, creepy serial-killer-mutant-assassin book. The characters are flawed and wonderful, the story moves along quickly, and I can't recommend it enough.

Plus, it shows just how far people will go to save a child, even if the child is not theirs.
Conni Harness
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy Moly, this author is sooo talented!!! Each progressive book seems more & more intense. Just when I think it cannot get freakier, it does!!! It just took me 12 or more to read the last 3 chapters. I had to keep putting it down. I have not hyperventilated this much since I read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!!! Seriously! The imagination of this author is off the charts!!! ...more
Ruth
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Although I figured out Coyote very early in the story, it didn’t detract from the fast-paced thriller. Love this author and she’s the best I’ve read in a long time. School reunions - glad I’ve never gone to any of mine
Buff
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Too long, and the premise becomes over the top as it progresses.
April
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of her best. More character depth and less SUPER unlikely to happen events. Enjoyed this one more than any of the others in the series. Can’t wait to read the next one.
Crystal Milam
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was very gory.
Adam
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very good
Emily
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled a bit with Crosscut, the fourth Evan Delaney book. I realize that it was originally written 15 years ago, and times were different. However, the transphobia was disturbing. I have a feeling that Gardiner did not intend to write that way at the time. At least, I hope that was not her intention. But Crosscut could definitely use a new edition acknowledging or editing the offensive parts.

That being said, Crosscut was full of twists and turns. It would have made an excellent movie, and I
Neil Collins
May 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Crosscut is the fourth in Meg Gardiner's Evan Delany series, and a masterfully written and constructed story.

This time around, Evan and her on again, off again fiancé Jesse have returned to China Lake, California for Evan's high school reunion only to learn that an inordinate number of her classmate have passed away under odd circumstances. And yet another alum has missed the festivities because she had been brutally tortured and murdered that evening. And I though my reunion sucked!

Gardiner's k
Kathleen Hagen
Crosscut, by Meg Gardiner, B-plus. Narrated by Tanya Edy Sirois, produced by Brilliance Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

Evan Delaney is a journalist. This is apparently a series and I’ve started with the last book first. Evan’s boy friend is Jamie, who now uses a wheelchair because of a car accident which permanently paralyzed him and killed his best friend. Evan decides to return for her highschool class reunion in China Lake, a military base, and Jamie goes with her. They decide as a lark t
Phoebe
I was reminded of this book when I started to re-attempt reading _The Nightmare Thief_, a book in the Jo Beckett series that has a crossover appearance by Evan Delaney from Gardiner's earlier series. It seemed like I was missing some backstory for Evan so I put _Thief_ on pause to finish the Evan Delaney series first. So next up was _Crosscut_, which I located in print and placed on hold at a local library.

It was strange to read a book in paperback again. I'm so used to lazily tapping on a word
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never flipped to the end of a book to read the last page just to make sure everything turns out ok... Until now. Meg Gardiner is a master of suspense, and no one keeps me on the edge of my seat like she does.

This is the fourth book in the Evan Delaney series and it's a nail biter. (And by the way, flipping to the end and reading the last page made me no less anxious.) Evan and Jessie are finally back on solid ground, but the ground is being pulled out from underneath them. Evan has been
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I really enjoyed this 4th book in the Evan Delaney Series. As before Meg Gardiner grabbed me from the first paragraph and kept me turning the pages, reading furiously until the last word. Although I was a bit put off by one of Evan's decisions in the novel, and that is why I deducted a full star in my rating. That one decision, I'll keep to myself.

Evan Delaney and Jesse Blackburn return to China Lake for Evan's 15th High School Reunion. Many of her classmates are dead - too many. And in the co
Shiela
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
When returning to China Lake, a desert military base for her fifteen year high school reunion, Evan discovers that a startling number of her classmates have died young in seemingly unrelated ways. As the reunion festivities begin, the body of an organizer is found brutally murdered…and that is just the beginning. Evan suspects the death of her classmates has something to do with their shared past.

This is the fourth book in the Evan Delaney series and I wish I had started at the beginning. Althou
Selina
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
2018
2019 Reread-

Maybe not the best book to read while 8 months pregnant, but still one of my favorites from the Evan Delaney series. Even though I have read it several times and know how it ends, I still find myself anxious and guessing what is coming. Meg Gardiner writes in such a skillful way... I really grew to appreciate the changing POV from first to third person. It adds a certain level of emotional depth to Evan with a great sense of dramatic irony for the overall storyline.

Previous revi
Shona
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This was a slightly odd book full of unexciting information leading to an all too small climax.

Someone is gradually killing off members of an old high school class and it is up to one class memember to find the killer. Having back ground information about the reasoning of the killings and the possible suspects Evan decides to try and stop the killings before more of her old class and herslef get killed. Of course this can only lead to one thing: she ends up right smack bang in the middle of thin
Chris Longmuir
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a brilliant book. I'd never read anything by Meg Gardiner before so wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a book full of action and suspense with a likeable character in Evan Delaney. In Crosscut a serial killer is targeting Evan's former schoolmates and she has to find him before the rest of her friends are killed, and of course, she is also on the killer's hit list. The reason for the killings is hidden in the past when Evan and her classmates were in the vicinity of an explosion ...more
Kurt
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Well, Crosscut certainly made up for my somewhat tepid response to the previous Evan Delaney thriller. This one definitely lives up to the name. The action is ratcheted up to a fever pitch, and the killer is a great creation. Gardiner does a great job of interleaving the various threads of the story (Evan's POV, the killer's POV, and others) and dragging the reader along wanting to know what is going to happen next. The scenes where the killer kills his victims are vivid and grisly. They're defi ...more
Pr Latta
[audio] Fourth in the Evan Delaney suspense thrillers, Evan and Jesse's relationship is more firmly established and her parents play a significant role. Once again, NAWS China Lake is the site where it all began. The action in the story (and violence and bodies and chase scenes) takes place between Santa Barbara, LA, and China Lake (about 4 hours drive). On audio, I sometimes found it difficult to orient myself wanting a map and colored pins. I find Gardiner's books compelling and the main chara ...more
Debra
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stephen King recommended book and author. He says: "Full of classic Gardiner one-liners...but mostly there's a serious freezerload of scare-you-silly chills."

King says this about the Evan Delaney series: "Simply put, the finest crime suspense series I've come across in the last twenty years...your basic can't-put-'em-down thrill rides."

4/12/13 I agree with King. This is the finest series I've read in a while. What a thrill ride. This kept me reading all day and into the late hours of the night.
stephanie
Sep 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
the body count keeps increasing. man.

i liked the beginning of this much better than the ending. i just - why the body count?

i still love evan. i don't love jesse as much, but he's still great. evan's parents on the other hand were really a bright spot in the book.

i don't want to spoil anything, so i feel like there's not a lot i can say. but.

let's just say i need to get a hold of Kill Chain about yesterday.
Graham
Not bad, decent page turner. When I picked this up, I didn't realize it was part of a series... Apparently there's already been substantial character development on "Evan Delaney" et-al in previous novels in the series, so the first 100 pgs or so, names kept popping up that an avid reader would already know.

Reminded me very much of Lisa Gardner, which is another suspense/action series.

I'm sure I'll pick up more Meg Gardiner in the future.
Alisa
Sep 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Powerful thriller about what happens when your high school classmates begin to die and the common threads are linked to federal government black ops. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that I guessed the ending half way through, but that is probably more from the fact that I've read all of Meg Gardiner's books is in less than two months -- patterns do begin to repeat themselves adn she's still more skilled than many in the genre.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Law of Innocence (Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe #34)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • The Theory of Death (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #23)
  • A Reasonable Doubt (Robin Lockwood #3)
  • Daylight (Atlee Pine, #3)
  • Murder 101 (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #22)
  • Fair Warning (Jack McEvoy #3)
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • Without Mercy (Body Farm, #10)
  • See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Sphere: Blackwood Security Book 9.5
  • Serpenti (The Royals #2)
  • Tails From A Dog Rescue
  • The Third to Die (Quinn & Costa Thriller, #1)
  • Name of the Devil (Jessica Blackwood #2)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
Meg Gardiner is the author of fifteen thrillers. Her latest is The Dark Corners of the Night, the third novel in the UNSUB series featuring FBI profiler Caitlin Hendrix. Stephen King says, "Don't miss it. This is a great one." It's been bought by Amazon Studios for development as a television series. The first novel in the series, UNSUB, won the 2018 Barry Award for Best Thriller.

Meg was born in

Evan Delaney (5 books)
  • China Lake (Evan Delaney, #1)
  • Mission Canyon (Evan Delaney, #2)
  • Jericho Point (Evan Delaney, #3)
  • Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)