Start by marking “Diamond Spirit (Diamond Spirit, #1)” as Want to Read:
Diamond Spirit (Diamond Spirit, #1)

Diamond Spirit (Diamond Spirit #1)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Jess's beloved pony has a terrible accident and thinks her best friend Shara had something to do with it. So she feels that she has lost not just one best friend, but two. New friends and new horses come into her life along with the chance to complete in the Longwood campdraft. And does Walkabout help to heal her broken heart?
Published 2011 by Allen&Unwin

Mango
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series is so special to me. They were the first horse books I found aimed at young teenagers that didn't revolve around pony club and eventing, a world I didn't understand or relate to. Instead, it is a series about Australian cattle stations, dusty stock horses, camp drafting and cattle dogs- the world I belong to.
It is fast paced, perfect for gripping the reader in its absorbing storyline. The characters, including the horses, are vibrant with unique personalities that captured my heart
Deanna
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I believe that this book is the beginning to an excellent series about horses, competition and friends. This book is ideal for teenagers and 10 year olds being the minimum age limit considering some language that may not be appropriate for younger audiences. Other then that, a splendid start to a splendid series.
Clare O'Beara
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this one five stars for great setting realisation, with a caveat that not everyone will love it. Some fairly mature themes are handled, including serious accidents and death.

A horse-mad girl in Australia has to overcome losing not only her beloved mare but, due to a fight, her best friend. I admire the way Jess gets to work with an old stockhorse and teaches herself a new style of riding, while trying to resolve a conflict.

I'm not so keen on the way that Jess goes from thinking she
Katrina
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book great! As a very horsey person it is so hard to find horse stories that aren't either childerns books or non-fiction. But this series is one of the few that is not in those two genres. Really enjoyed it!
Katelynn
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horse Lvers!
I finally found a horse book for TEENS! There is no magic, no mystical castles or dashing princes; just the good-old outback and stud horses.

Ronny
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The love of horses and good firends

I have this book five stars because the author seems to know about horses and describes what you have to do if you own and love them. Jessie finds out what it feels like to love a special horse and how it feels to lose a best friend, human and horse. A very great book about friendship.
Lara
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed it. The detail in the setting made it very clear. I felt like it was me waking up to each morning to the heat of Western Queensland and me who felt the heartbreak of finding Jess's horse stuck.
paula
Ok first - anybody who knows me even a little knows that I would NEVER pick up this book on my own to read. I reviewed it for Booklist, sure. And it was unexpectedly good! Or unexpectedly better than ok at least. Not my thing, sure, but also not goopy or overwritten or formulaic.

I am feeling like I see a pattern. Everything I've read from Australia for as long as I've been paying attention (like, "Oh!" this is an Australian book!) has been kind of unusually well-written. Do we have better editor
thewildworldofbooks
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I discovered this series a few years ago and they were my favorite books for ages!

Growing up I always wanted a horse, therefore being the bookworm I am I read HEAPS of horse related books.

I haven't read this book in a long time so this may not be the most accurate review. From what I remember this is a incredibly good well written book for horse and animal lovers in there early to mid teens. It is much more realistic and intelligent then a lot o other similar books.

Overall I really loved this
Emma
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i was so happy with finding the diamond spirit series...i spent so long trying to find a good horse book that wasn't childish and was actually good! but when i found this it was amazing full of drama and also full of horses i really enjoyed it... but i do think the first book wasn't as good as the others so if you enjoyed this book i do recommend reading the others as this is just the start to the wonderful series.
Emily
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. I haven't read a horsey book in a while so it was good to get back to them. This book was about 2 friends, horses and some camp drafting. i would recommend it to ages 13+. the good thing about this book is that it is part of a series.
Lucy Trueman
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really liked these books and recommend it to anyone who loves horses it's got just the right amount of everything and whenever I don't have a book I always pick this one up even though I have read it a million times!!!!!
Niamh
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, ya
A nice read. It progressed well and for those not familiar with the campdrafting circuit it was a nice introduction.

A story not just about horses, but about loss, courage and friendship.

Would definitely read the next in the series.
Maddy
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love it.

I did cry in it but is a good book.
I want to read the rest of the series
Nova
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls
Although I am not a horse lover, there was enough drama, mystery and interpersonal conflict to keep me reading. I would recommend it to 10 to 15 year olds who enjoy horse stories.
Gabrielle
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IT!! :D
Kelly Gleeson
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Apart from bawling in the first few chapters - this was a great book.
A newer version of The Saddle Club Series, but with more depth to the storyline. A great teen novel.
Megan
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
AMAZING!! This is the book that started my obsession with the series!! I love all the horses and adventure!!!
Carlie
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
not what i expected, very good. Not a saddle club story at all. A bit of romance
Christine Bongers
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-childrens
One for girls who love horses with plenty of plot and strong characterisations.
Jess Howe
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great Book made me cry poor Diamond :(
Book Bazaar
A story of friendship and horses that will be perfect for young girls 8-12. This is book 1 of a new series and the first book is only $9.95 to encourage people to try this new author.
Joanna
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book with a great mix of horse, romance and also a sense of Adventure. I highly recommended this book I loved it.
Zoe
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this book sooooooo much and is there going to be more or even better a movie:)!!!!!!!
Christine Meunier
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Educational and entertaining. A great Australian horse novel. More at http://equus-blog.com/diamond-spirit-...
DarknessIsUponUs
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
it was a pretty good book
SofieAlexandra
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series is great! Love it so much!
Jess
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved the entire series worth a read
Jesse Thompson
Jan 15, 2018
Erin
Jan 23, 2018
  • The Ivory Rose
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Meet Grace (Our Australian Girl - Grace, #1)
  • Only Ever Always
  • Ishmael and the Hoops of Steel
  • Triple Ripple: A Fabulous Fairytale
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • Riding Star (Pony Club Rivals, #3)
  • Violet Mackerel's Remarkable Recovery (Violet Mackerel, #2)
  • The Jewel Fish of Karnak
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks (Verity Sparks, #1)
  • Being Here
  • When We Were Two
  • Angel Creek
  • The Friendship Matchmaker (The Friendship Matchmaker #1)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
Karen Wood is the author of the five Diamond Spirit books. She has an Arts degree majoring in communications and a diploma in horticulture. She has syndicated a gardening column in several newspapers throughout Australia, has published feature articles in various magazines and has published photographs in bushwalking guides. She is married with two children, a few horses, some dogs, chooks and a v ...more
More about Karen Wood

Diamond Spirit (5 books)
  • Moonstone promise (Diamond Spirit, #2)
  • Opal dreaming (Diamond Spirit, #3)
  • Golden Stranger