Start by marking “Epigrams of Oscar Wilde” as Want to Read:
Epigrams of Oscar Wilde

Epigrams of Oscar Wilde

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  197 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about', said Oscar Wilde more than a hundred years ago. But this remark seems perhaps even more relevant to our present world where so many seek publicity at any cost. Wilde's well-turned phrases and spontaneous insults still cause much amusement and admiration. Most of us miss ...more
Paperback
Published April 5th 2007 by Wordsworth Editions (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Epigrams of Oscar Wilde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epigrams of Oscar Wilde

Rachel Davidson Schmoyer
I picked up for free a beautifully vintage copy of this book. Unfortunately his witty quotes were too disparaging against marriage, religion, and telling the truth for me to want to keep the awesome vintage find.
Ines
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: oscar-wilde
I use this book quite often. Nearly every week, I read a couple of Wilde's witty quotes.
Avinash
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
witty .... realistic
Every quote of wlide written some yrs back stills feels right on the mind and heart at present as well.
THE MOST WITTIEST AND SARCASTIC WRITER ever in the history of English literature
Joeffison Andrade
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some epigrams were duplicated.
If you are also a fan of Oscar Wilde, it is nice to have a book where you can find some of his pearls and specially to have some epigrams from his conversations.
Dean Brickland
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
took me a little bit of reflecting on this book to gather my thoughts on it. some of the epigrams are nothing special. some of them come across as nothing but a contrarian statement. other times he tries this: ''young women are x and young men are y. older women are y and older men are x.'' he tries this mirror technique so many times. it's throughout the book. it just seems to fall flat on its face often but other times it works. in his own words ''Between me and life there is a mist of words a ...more
Branden William
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dandyism
Every great dandy must keep a journal of quips, gags, aphorisms, and epigrams. I know that I do. I figure that by the time I completely fill a few of these journals, I won't be speaking anymore-- I'll just be quoting myself and paraphrasing Oscar Wilde, Sebastian Horsley, and Quentin Crisp.

Of all the great dandies, however, Oscar Wilde was a master of life's epigrams. Whether the subject dealt with women, marriage, art, or gastronomy, Oscar Wilde had a mouthful to say-- all of which were witty
Advaita
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We live in an age when only unnecessary things are absolutely necessary to us. - Oscar Wilde

Epigrams written by a truly genius author. One can only be amazed at the accuracy of his observations and excellent use of sarcasm. It's been more than a century since he passed away, but he truly managed to capture the essence of modern society. Must read for those who appreciate quick wit, sarcasm and dark humour.
Aleya
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Wilde's epigrams are fantastic. I just want to share them all with the world. Maybe I'll just start by toting them around and reciting them randomly when conversations get dull. Wilde would love that. I'm so glad I found this little book in a used book store.
Lin
Apr 12, 2008 added it
Shelves: owned
A bit of a pointless book, but fun to own if you're a Wilde fan.
Godka
I couldn't get a better surprise gift.
Amy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was a gift -- it's a great reference and reminds me of just how wise and pithy Wilde was. The gift was purchased in Dublin, Ireland at the Irish Writer's Museum.
Dave
Rozerin
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Oscar Wilde: A Certain Genius
  • сърцето ти нося (в сърцето си го нося)
  • The Secret Life of Oscar Wilde
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Biographia Literaria: Biographical Sketches of my Literary Life & Opinions
  • Saints and Sinners
  • On Heroes, Hero Worship and the Heroic in History
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99