Start by marking “Secondhand Heart” as Want to Read:
Secondhand Heart

Secondhand Heart

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Conrad Muller’s heart is the center of a web of friendships, fights, and love lost and found in a close-knit group of gay men in Orange County, California. Six months ago, Conrad died, and his organs were donated for transplant. A month later, Conrad’s lover, Christian, receives a letter from the recipient of Conrad’s donated heart.

Christian can’t stop thinking about the l
Published March 14th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published March 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Secondhand Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secondhand Heart

Simsala
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I`ve read in 2011 that goes to my favorites shelf.
I loved every word,every page and read several chapters twice in this achingly beautiful novel.
I could(almost)swear,that Secondhand Heart has been written just for me.;-)

The story of love lost and found involves grief,angst,cheating,promiscuity,lying,desperation,passion,hot sex,a ghost,a letter and many,many tears.So it may not be to everyones taste.
Nonetheless - highly recommended!

Edina Rose
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: angst
This book should have come with a warning! I'm in tears. I still see the scene where Eban reads Conrad's letter, and it still makes me cry to see the love, the lost opportunity, the regret, the infinite pain... Aaah. When Eban cried, I cried with him. His story, his pain, his choices, everything about him made me emotional. Sure, I hurt for Christian, Damien, Conrad ... but Eban touched me more than the other characters.

This book is poetic in a dramatic way. I am a fan of Greek tragedies, and i
Feliz
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Only one word: DRAMA. Spelled out in blinking, capitalized neon letters three feet high with sparkling stars flashing all around. Boy, all that swinging and bed-hopping made my head spin! If I’ve counted correctly, there are ten men more or less entangled in this web of relationships, love affairs, friendships and or/ fuck sessions, all orbiting Conrad, who seems to have been the center of their universe – still is, actually, even though he’s dead. Perhaps all the more for it. And to top it all, ...more
agirlwithoutwings
I normally don’t approve of books with multiple couples in it, the problem I presume is that I find it hard to keep track of every one of them, and their separate drama and other stuff. There were many things here though that compensated for that. For instance some of the troubles the characters were coping with sounded real to read about. On the other hand, regarding the plot, yeah I believe many of the coincidental events didn't seem real.

The book includes many important issues regarding rela
Neet
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say that this though this book is filled with sex,violence, and angst ,it also has a realistic depiction of how death can affect everyone differently.The dearly departed in this case is Conrad, lover of 10 years to Christian and best friend of eban both who are emotionally drained by his death for 6 months. Also throw in eban 's angry ex, Damien who always felt second best to Conrad and friends and coworkers jack and Marcus.I loved how conflicted each of these characters were Christia ...more
Gwengwel
Ami
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
T.A. Webb
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dont let the slow pace put you off. This book SINGS. It is really Ebans story that shines the brightest. The grief of Conrads death paralyzes Christian and Eban and how they and the whole group of those who knew and/or loved Conrad grieve and find closure and release is beautifully written. Ms. Blackwell doesnt exactly pull any huge surprises out of the bag but her understated characterizations make this story quietly heartbreaking. I found myself moved to tears several times as the book drew to ...more
Judith
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
6 stars!!!! Haunting and powerful! I dont think I'll ever be completely over how intense this novel was for me! I have never read a story as emotional as this. Eban... man, my heart bled continuously for him. It bleeds still!!Thank the Gods for Marcus!!!
This story should come with a warning label:
"This read requires 2 boxes of tissues. This read also requires some quiet time for reflection, recovery, and mending your shattered heart during and afterwards!"
Nile Princess
4.5 Definitely not for everyone. This one put me through the wringer. I think I pretty much know what the one and two star reviews will say and they'll be right, but I couldn't put this down.

Ok, so this book is pretty much Queer As Folk meets Melrose Place. Everyone is sleeping with everyone else and every new character that's introduced knows one of the original characters in one way or other. It's like one degree of separation.
  • Too Soon For Love
  • Tono (Basque, #2)
  • Back Home
  • These Haunted Heights
  • Tuareg
  • Stolen Summer
  • City Falcon (Falcon, #2)
  • Broken Wings (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #4)
  • Paper Planes (Queen City #1)
  • A Red-Tainted Silence (Red-Tainted Silence, #1)
  • Blood Pond (Blood Pond, #1)
  • Yakuza Pride (The Way of the Yakuza #1)
  • Everything Under the Sun
  • Caregiver
  • Red Skies
  • Breaking the Mirror
  • Home Work (Life Lessons, #3)
  • The Wish (The Wish, #1)
Scarlet writes erotic romance.

Scarlet would rather stick pins in her eyes than go on Facebook but now sees the necessary evil of it. Please join her there for useless writing-related ramblings and hot men musings and ease her in gently. Bah.
More about Scarlet Blackwell...
“It’s been so many years since I actually had a date that I’ve forgotten how to act. You don’t mention your ex when you’ve finished fucking your date; it’s poor protocol” 8 likes