Start by marking “Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Deepwoods  (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)

Beyond the Deepwoods

(The Edge Chronicles (chronological) #4)

Abandoned at birth in the perilous Deepwoods, Twig Verginix is brought up by a family of woodtrolls. One cold night, Twig does what no woodtroll has ever done before – he strays from the path.

So begins a heart-stopping adventure that will take Twig through a nightmare world of fearsome goblins, bloodthirsty beasts and flesh-eating trees. Can he discover the truth about hi
Published August 1st 2006 by Corgi Books (first published 1998)

Start your review of Beyond the Deepwoods (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #1)
Phrynne
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
One thing I will say for this author is that he is very good at making up magical creatures with amazing names and his illustrator is equally good at drawing them! The picture of Mag, the terrible termagant trog, straight after her change has to be seen to be believed:)

This is a great read for all ages but especially for those younger readers who like to read something with a bit of bite to it. Not enough to give you nightmares, but plenty to think about. The story is good and follows young Twig
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my god, what an entertaining and enjoyable read about adventure, hope and never giving up even in the most dire circumstances.
I don't really know where to start with the story, there is so much going on and you as the reader really feel like you're right there in the adventure with Twig (who is a lovable little character), you follow him through impossible situations that he always manages to get out of because he's so filled with hope and spirit.
This is one of those wild imagination books,
Cindy
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
I was really surprised about this book. Not because of the fact that it was bad. It was actually better then I thought it would be. The thing that surprised me is that this is considered a children's series and the rather disturbing stuff that goes on in here. I did love the fact that there was so many different creatures and adventures going on. Not one problem lasted so long.

I do agree with the person that said they were surprised that the story got wrapped up so neatly with so much random st
Christina
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those series, like the famous Harry Potter, and like the Chrestomanci series of Diana Wynne Jones, that I used to fervently and desperately wish were real. Or rather, that felt so real incredibly real that I simply couldn't believe they weren't. Yes, my 11th birthday was somewhat spoiled with the absence of a letter from Hogwart's, but it's no time to dwell on that.
I remember first reading this aged 11, at a very unhappy time in my childhood, and it was the very best escape into f
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

Book #1 of the series The Edge Chronicles

I fell in love with Twig. Forever thinking he was a Wood Troll, when he finds out he is not, he starts a journey to find out who he is. Always in fear of the Gloamglozer, Twig navigates the woods full of nasty beasts and man eating trees. He encounters Hover Worms, Slaughterers, the Blood Oak, the Gyle Goblins, Rotsuckers, and Termagant Trogs, among others. Along the way he buddies up with the Banderbear and the Caterbird, who help him when most n
Ryan
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The Good:
Very imaginative and moody. The setting is dark and colourful and a little bit twisted, with frequent gross-out moments to appeal to the target audience. There is an extremely diverse cast of characters.

The Bad:
Many of the scenes appeared to randomly follow the last one, a theme repeated in the setting – a lot of bizarre stuff occurs for no given reason. The chief antagonist doesn’t play a significant role (view spoiler)
Saeed Mohamadi
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Saeed by: Roya
3 stars for the story and so many characters that beautifully described in so much details, wonderful graphics in the book and 1 star for the ending. It was a good end to the story, finishing first book with an appropriate plot for the main character to be introduced and leaving the reader in a position that they know it's the beginning of a great journey for him . Definitely going to read the next book in this trilogy.
The best thing I enjoyed in this book was the vast numbers of metaphors that
Charlotte May
This book was thoroughly unexpected! I was thinking I'd picked up a light-hearted children's fantasy that I'd whiz through without too much emotional attachment.
So imagine my surprise when the characters and creatures were so gruesome, inventive and frankly sometimes scary! I had a lot of love for Twig - he was a lovable character, a relatable little guy who doesn't fit in with his Woodtroll family and so sets off to find himself and his destiny in the Deepwoods. What he finds is a magical array
Arielle
Every time I read this book I remember again how much I absolutely adore everything about it. The Edgeworld, the Deepwoods, the creatures and characters, the gorgeous sketches, the plot - EVERYTHING. I will, at some point, write an actual review but for now I'll just say (like a little kid) IloveitIloveitIloveit IwantitIwantitIwantit!
Love of Hopeless Causes
Mythical critters info dumping things about their world that they already know.
Daley
Feb 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Beyond the Deepwoods (Edge Chronicles, Book 1)

After beginning this book, I figured out that it is actually written for children. At the time, I had no book to read. This book has been on my shelf for a few years. It was given to my partner as a gift and he was never interested in it. So, out of necessity to have something to read, I grabbed it.

I was shocked at how much I liked it. It wasn't incredible, but it was very well written and the story was well thought out. It had a few twists and turns
Lör K.
I remember when I first found this book, nestled away in my local library. I was around 10-11, and my dad pulled it out and said, "Ethan, this one sounds a lot like Harry Potter, why don't you give it a try? You love your fantasy and magical creatures".

Almost reluctantly, I got it out because, really, I didn't want to be reading young adult books when the crime and gore section was right there, but I decided to settle down and give my dad's pick a chance.

Oh. My. Gosh.

I was taken on a whole ne
CalebCW
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From Banderbears to trees that eat you this one was a blast for me and the kids. This book follows a young one by the name of Twig, who has been raised by woodtrools since he was a babe. When he's old enough it is determined that he needs to go make his own way somewhere else. So he hops on the path in the deep woods and then loses it. Upon losing it he is set upon by a vast array of different creatures that to even mention them would be spoilers heavy. This is a book to be experienced and I rec ...more
Tilly
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Middle-grade fantasy books are probably the best way to get out of a reading slump, especially when they are as magical, whimsical and creative like this one. First of all I absolutely loved Chris Riddle´s illustrations through the whole novel, they were a great way to bring Paul Stewart good description of the creatures to life. I also think that the world-building is great and very detailed, especially for a children´s book. All the different places on the Edge which were described in the begi ...more
Mikayla
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved every aspect of this book, it was just as enchanting as the first time I read it, and can at least say that it's as good as all the previous books I've read.
Alexis
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was actually pretty good; I'm just angry about the ferocious beast on the front of the book. The beast on the front is called a banderbear, it's a timid creature and nothing messes with it except these little, evil, ferocious, fur balls called wig-wigs. The main character had met the banderbear while looking for food. It was sitting on the ground holding its had up to its face while whimpering. It turns out the banderbear had a rotten tooth in his mouth, so the main character pulled it ...more
Maddie
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well this book was completely full-on throughout! Awesome! So fast-paced, never a dull moment. So much happened. And the same moments stand out to me every time. It's been years since I read it the first few times, and I'm extremely lucky to have met one of the authors and the illustrator, Chris Riddell :D He's so charismatic and I can totally see him imagining and creating this world with Paul Stewart.
The little illustrations definitely helped with the speed I read it XD But they're essential t
Katie
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wish I had this good of an imagination and/or drawing ability
Badiss
May 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is about a 13 year old Twig who discovers that he was abandoned at birth by a unknown person. Twig goes on a long journey through Deepwoods to try to get back his family. He makes his way through goblins and trogs and beasts who drink blood for fun.

I didnt really like this book, because of it's plot. It's a fairy tail book and I'm not a fan of books of that kind. The only reason why i never put it down was because i was waiting for something good to happen, by the time i realized nothi
Paul Ringkamp
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great (re)read for me, i read the entire series years ago and as this book was chosen for our January readalong in the book club it was the perfect opportunity to read them again.
As i have read the pre- and sequels, even if half a decade ago, the memories slowly returned as i read. Not enough at ones to lessen the fun but so that i would wait with a grin for Twig to stumble into the next problem.
A great book, a great series.
Highly recommended.
Jessica
Mar 19, 2009 rated it did not like it
I usually like books in this genre, but this book was just too out there. The main character, Twig, is constantly having bad things happen to him, and when something good does happen, something worse comes that just cancels it out. That really bothered me. Also, there were some really gross parts.
Sanaa
[4 Stars] Just as whimsical and enjoyable as the first time I read it.
Sanja_Sanjalica
Full of suspense and imaginative...after the Quint trilogy, I'm happy to go back to the world of The Edge Chronicles. Twig has such incredible (mis)adventures in Deepwoods and it's a great contrast to the city adventures plot of Quint. Can't wait to read more.
Ramsey Meadows
Jul 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun Kids book I can see why my son enjoyed it.
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will at this point reveal my English major roots and tell you that this book reminds me very intensely of The Faerie Queene by Spenser and The Divine Comedy by Danté, and in fact, reading it in this way is really the only way to read it. Largely because otherwise, the endless danger that Twig finds himself in seems pointless rather than another step on his heroic journey. The end is a little frustrating for me, considering the circumstances of how Twig came to be with the woodtrolls, but I'm h ...more
Sonja
Mar 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book instantly. Maybe even before I started reading it. The cover is way cooler than this pic they have.
The art of the book is so amazing. The map of The Edge is amazing. I want to go there. After the first chapter I could hardly put it down. What an amazing adventure story. Its a kids book-i saw it in the childrens section at the library and was drawn to the fancy cover. It reminds me of Bilbo's adventures in the HObbit but not so hard to read. A very quick easy-fun read. I loved i
Marie
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books I devoured when I was a child and still remember quite clearly today. The inspiration might have been Red Riding Hood: Don't leave the path. Never. But well: When does any character in any book follow that advice? The story then winds through the forest and suprises us with the most unexpected beasts, dangerous situations and escapes. As if that wasn't enough, it also treats topics like familiy, belongig, growing, mourning and search for identity.
One more thing that's m
Denae Christine
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I could not care about Twig or anything he was doing. The book had no direction, until the last chapter or so. I didn't care about the random plethora of creatures he met. Twig seemed utterly useless. His friend getting attacked? Hide in a tree. See a pretty girl? Chase her and get made a slave. Find pirates? Let them catch you. He didn't have goals or a personality beyond "Don't get eaten."
Miko
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF at about 50%

I am really sad that I had to DNF this book. I've been wanting to read it for a long time and I was disappointed. It started out interesting, but as I continued reading it, the book began to drag on and nothing new was happening. I understand that the book needs to take place in the Deepwoods, but it was the same sort of thing that happened every single time the character met someone new or interacted with something. It became boring after a while, too.
Brian
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
I found this merely a sequence of fantasy unfortunate events. The main character, Twig, finds himself in a series of life-threatening encounters with fantastical creatures that left me exhausted and frustrated. The world Stewart has created is marvelous and the illustrations of Chris Riddell are amazing, but I won't be reading the rest of the series.

• The Dilemma Deepens: A Box of Unfortunate Events, Books 7-9 (The Vile Village; The Hostile Hospital; The Carnivorous Carnival)
  • A Box of Unfortunate Events: The Situation Worsens (The Miserable Mill, The Austere Academy and The Ersatz Elevator) by Lemony Snicket (Sep 19 2002)
  • Feather Boy
  • The Truth (Lionboy Trilogy, #3)
  • The Empress's Tomb (Kiki Strike, #2)
  • The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy, #2)
  • Твердиня
  • Часовой ключ (Часодеи #1)
  • Swordbird (Swordbird, #1)
  • The Gloom Looms: A Box of Unfortunate Events, Books 10-12 (The Slippery Slope; The Grim Grotto; The Penultimate Peril)
  • Blackstone Fortress (Blackstone Fortress #1)
  • Dungeon Master's Screen Reincarnated
  • El vicario que hablaba al reves
  • Ключ
  • Quicker Than the Eye
  • The Akhenaten Adventure (Children of the Lamp, #1)
  • Boogiepop And Others
  • The Keeping Days (Keeping Days, #1)
Paul Stewart is a highly regarded author of books for young readers – from picture books to football stories, fantasy and horror. Together with Chris Riddell he is co-creator of the bestselling Edge Chronicles, which has sold more than three million copies and is available in over twenty languages. They have also collaborated together on lots of other exciting books for children of all ages. The F ...more

The Edge Chronicles (chronological) (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Curse of the Gloamglozer (The Edge Chronicles: The Quint Saga #1; The Edge Chronicles #1)
  • The Edge Chronicles 2: The Winter Knights: Second Book of Quint
  • Clash of the Sky Galleons (The Edge Chronicles: The Quint Saga #3; The Edge Chronicles #3)
  • Stormchaser (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga #2; The Edge Chronicles #5)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • The Edge Chronicles 7: The Last of the Sky Pirates: First Book of Rook
  • The Edge Chronicles 8: Vox: Second Book of Rook
  • Freeglader (Edge Chronicles, #7)
  • The Edge Chronicles 10: The Immortals: The Book of Nate