Start by marking “Maverick's Mate (Brac Pack #1)” as Want to Read:
Maverick's Mate (Brac Pack #1)

Maverick's Mate

(Brac Pack #1)

[#342 Siren Everlasting Classic ManLove: Erotic Alternative Paranormal Romance, M/M, werewolves]

Published February 25th 2011 by Siren-Bookstrand, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Maverick's Mate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maverick's Mate

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
1,104 books — 1,495 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonFatal Shadows by Josh LanyonA Matter of Time Book I by Mary Calmes
M/M Romance Series
674 books — 570 voters

More lists with this book...

Sans
Apr 25, 2011 rated it did not like it
Gods damn it. I had a lovely review that clearly delineated my multitude of problems with this "book" and I lost it. Excuse me while I break something.

Ok, short version then. Avoid at all costs. The plot was thin-to-non-existent, the characters were flatter than my singing voice, the conflict was cringe-worthy, the sex was either highly disturbing or laughable (often both), the pairings made me very uncomfortable, the writing made me want to cry and take a large red marker to fix all the mistake
Jess
May 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Myristica Myristica
Mar 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Myristica by: No one
M/mromanceaddict
May 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Prett soon I'm going to stop buying any books put out by Siren Publishing because they seem to all be cut from the same cookie cutter. This book's plotline was signature Stormy Glenn and Joyee Flynn if I've ever read any books of theirs(and I have, around 30 total). It's like they write for straight profit and not pleasure.
Mistral
Sep 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Mistral by: I have only myself to blame
This is one of the worst books I've read this year: plot non-existent, characters not well developed, poor editing.
In the first chapter Maverick hypnotizes his mate and claims him while the other man is sleeping... mate or not, this scene is really disturbing!
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Okay! Before all my friends start throwing rotten fruits and vegetables at me, hear me out, okay?! ROFL.

This story wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I mean, it takes some serious, and I do mean serious, shit to make me hate a book enough to give it less than three stars and to be completely honest, it wasn't so bad. There's one word to describe this book and it's fluff.

My best advice to anyone looking to read this one is to not expect much. If you're looking to read something with an extravagan
Allybaba
May 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
The one star is generous...This was pretty bad and I can be pretty forgiving of poor editing, strange plot twists, etc., but this went beyond that and into the realm of - formulaic plot, forgettable characters, bad dialogue and the list goes on...

This was so bad I actually bought the 2nd book in the series because I thought it was a fluke...the 2nd book had to be better...give the author a chance...maybe it was just 1st book inexperience.

Ha...what a joke that one made my eyes bleed - it was eve
Susan
Jul 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, shifters
I was really set on liking this entire series. 33 books, oh yeah!
But I can’t do it.

I have no idea why the author thinks RAPE is okay. And yes, I do consider it rape when wolf shifter, Maverick, has sex with Cecil while Cecil is asleep. They haven’t met, but Maverick knows Cecil is his mate. He follows him to his home and has sex with Cecil while he is asleep.

I have no idea why this scene was even included because it’s not important to the story at all.

And Cecil, who has been in an abusive relat
Deanna
It's so bad that I have to keep reading the series
Ann
**Audiobook Version**

I had to work on a mind numbing project for work so I wanted something to listen to that didn't require a whole lot of brain power on my part. Maverick's Mate fit the bill there. It follows all the clichés of this trope to a "T" with a healthy side of cheese.

That being said I did have a hell of a fun time listening to it once I embraced the cheesiness. I liked it for the same reason I LOVE SHARKNADO. Not that this was SHARKNADO level awesome, nothing can be, but I have to re
adrienne
typical lynn hagen serial romance. nothing fantastic, nothing so bad it can't be finished. what is typical lynn hagen? imagine a shorter harlequin romance but with no t&a (see, i was going to write no surprise pregnancies, but... yeah.).

out of sheer laziness, i will be using this as my template for all books by :
lynn hagen
stormy glenn
scarlett hyacinth
carol lynne
gabrielle evans

unless otherwise noted. i'd apologize, but i'm not sorry. i figure it's about as much time as they put into their bo
Absynthe
Jan 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m, werewolf
This is more a statement on the whole series than this one book.

The reason I keep giving this series mostly 2s:

1) Plot inconsistencies. Huge, gaping ones that you could sale a catamaran through. This is probably what drives me craziest because they're so blatant.

2) Things that are never explained. For example, it works one way for all the members of a species but a totally different way for the one member living in Maverick's house. Why?!!? I get the feeling the author wants the characters to li
Phaney
May 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
2011 Review:

… Guh!

It’s just entirely skipping events. (view spoiler)
These sorts of things are irritating because they destroy t
Aղցela W.
This was a short quick read that was the first book in a new series too me. Maverick Brac is a 300 year old wolf-shifter who formed his pack. Maverick's life has gotten boring. Cecil Walter is living in his worse nightmare he is in an abusive relationship that he doesn't know how to get out of. When Maverick goes to a café to get Chai tea he smells his mate when he looks around he sees Cecil he follows him home Cecil thinks that he dreamed the sex that he had with Maverick. When he goes to his b ...more
Andre
Nov 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was the first book of the Brac Pack series I read and so I was pretty much a blank slate back then. I doubt that I would read it again since it wasn't really interesting. Furthermore I already thought back then that the whole mate-warrior relationship is rather romanticized and Maverick's attitude towards mates rather abusive (demanding his mate to be standing next to him and be silent), which makes me think how the average mate is actually treated in this universe. Sure it was stated that ...more
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Left with a smile.

This is what my mother calls a vegetable book. When you don't really want to think about anything, just escape with something easy, and fun. You don't go in expecting literary genius. Just escapism.
If you came to this book, expecting an amazing plot, with twists and turns and depth, you came to the wrong spot. If you came to escape the world with a fun little fluff, that doesn't make you examine anything...then you might enjoy it.

Gwengwel
I'm not going to repeat what I already wrote while reading the book.
However I'm going to add thatthe fact that Maverick rape Cecil and it's doesn't seems to bother him and add to that that it's never mentioned again, it's not something that I can accept in a personage.
Alvaro Landin
Sep 15, 2017 added it
Shelves: lgbtqia
This was... something.
Kerry  sullivan
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gblt, shifter, romance
This is the summary off the back of the book.
Maverick Brac has formed a pack of his own, naming them the Brac Pack. With fourteen men under him, they all have one thing in common, the preference for men. Cecil Walter was living a life no one would wish on their enemy in an abusive relationship with his partner with no way out. Getting away from pack problems and a migraine, Maverick indulges in his one secret love, Chai tea. While in the coffee shop trying to forget the world outside exists
Serena Yates
Mar 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
I liked this book as a start to a new series. While the werewolf Maverick and his human mate, Cecil, are clearly the focus characters, a lot of the others in their "gay pack" are also introduced, and we get some background about the world these particular werewolves live in.

Maverick is, in many ways, a typical Alpha. Domineering, insisting that his rules be obeyed, and feeling responsible for the men in his care. He is also vulnerable when it comes to his mate, but is not willing to compromise.
Candice
3rd Read 1-1-16
Agree with everything from the last 2 times.

2nd Read 1-1-15
I didn't read this last again last time around because I didn't like it. I decided to read it on my 3rd time around and I have to say I agree with my first review. Now, I am SO glad I decided to stick with this series because it quickly became my addiction. I mean, I am reading the entire Brac Pack series including all the spin-offs for the 3rd time.

First Read October 2nd, 2013

Ummm...no.

Sorry, but there was so much missing
Asteropê
I did not like the first encounter Maverick had with Cecil. Honestly, if someone did that in the real world, they'd be charged with sexual assault and/or rape.

I can understand following Cecil to see where he lived so he could find his mate later and send Sentries to protect him. I get that. What I don't get is why Maverick had Cecil in a "trance" as the book said and had sex with him. I don't care if Cecil said "more" or gave encouragement. He didn't know what he was doing! After it was done an
Karen K
Dylan St. Jaymes
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was my introduction to Lynn Hagen stories and The Brac Universe (Brac Pack, Brac village, Christian's Coven, Demon Warriors, Zues's Pack and The Exiled) and it got me hooked. If you're a fan of paranormal shifter stories in general and the mate trope in particular there really aren't going to be any surprises here: There's the recognition of a mate by scent, the over protectiveness, the possessiveness, the Alpha male shifter and his less dominant mate and all the things a fan of the ge ...more
Shintia
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m-bad-romance
1 star because I had to make the rating go down and that 0 doesn't work...

Sometimes I like to torture myself with bad series (mostly paranormal romance), I still wonder why. Maybe it is that almost any book seems better after (if I don't give up reading for months because of the trauma).

Anyway, classic paranormal romance : badly written, bad romance, rape is perfectly acceptable if they're fated to each other (yes, there is a scene I considered to be rape and I almost gave up the book at ithis t
Lizzie
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Alright, I don't know what I was thinking rating that at 5 stars. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. The first two sex scenes don't even mention if Cecil had an orgasm. And all the stalking talk. The timeline was jumpy at best and it could have used better editing. I think reading the Manga edition colored my opinion on this a little. I remembered it a little differently or it may have been my imagination adding in the missing parts.

Still, I liked Cecil and how much smaller he was th
Trish
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotic, m-m, paranormal
This writer has potential, the story set up has potential but it was lacking in editorial review and the writer rushed through many story arcs, so much so that i actually had to go back a page many times to make sure i didn't skip one scene...

however, i loved the characters... she really has potential and i may , at some point in the near future, try book 2 and see if there is an improvement in her writing and edits.

V
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading the reviews, I didn't have great expectations with this book. But, I wanted to read it as it is part of the series. Shocking beginning, I must say the no consent sex was a killer for me, and Cecil ..Oh boy he needs to grow some balls

Nicole
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: were-shifter
Breaking into a stranger's house and having non-consensual sex is rape. Let's not sugarcoat it with excuses of belonging together because they're mates. I skipped through most of this book. This was just another bodice ripper for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Lynn Hagen!!! 1 13 Jul 15, 2015 11:27PM
reading order 2 18 Sep 17, 2013 01:45PM

• Leap of Faith (Moonlight Breed #1)
  • Love, Always, Promise (Wolf Creek Pack #5)
  • Victor (Marius Brothers #4)
  • Determined Mate (Holland Brothers, #2)
  • Collared with Ink (Marked, #1)
  • Devoted Alpha (Twin Pines Grizzlies #4)
  • Smashed into Pieces (Clear Water Creek Chronicles #2)
Lynn Hagen loves writing about the somewhat flawed, but lovable. She also loves a hero who can see past all the rough edges to find the shining diamond of a beautiful heart.

You can find her on any given day curled up with her laptop and a cup of hot java, letting the next set of characters tell their story.

Brac Pack (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • Hawk's Pretty Baby (Brac Pack #2)
  • Sunshine’s Savior (Brac Pack #3)
  • Remi's Pup (Brac Pack #4)
  • Stormy Eyes (Brac Pack #5)
  • Oliver's Heart (Brac Pack #6)
  • Keata's Promise (Brac Pack #7)
  • George's Turn (Brac Pack #8)
  • Loco's Love (Brac Pack #9)
  • Lewis's Dream (Brac Pack #10)
  • Mark's Not Gay (Brac Pack #11)