Start by marking “Benedictus: A Book of Blessings” as Want to Read:
Benedictus: A Book of Blessings

Benedictus: A Book of Blessings

We have fallen out of belonging. Consequently, when we stand before crucial thresholds in our lives, we have no rituals to protect, encourage and guide us as we cross over into the unknown. For such crossings, we need to find new words. What is nearest to the heart is often farthest from the word. This book is an attempt to reach into that tenuous territory of change that ...more
Published 2007 by Bantam Press

Start your review of Benedictus: A Book of Blessings
Lucinda
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dominus vobiscum

‘There is a Quiet light that shines in every heart.
It is what illuminates our minds to see beauty,
Our desire to seek possibility and our hearts to love life…
This shy inner light is what enables us
to recognize and receive our very presence here
as a blessing.’

1. There is a kindness that dwells deep down within all things and often lingers in the unlikeliest of places..
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2. Each new day is a path of wonder. Oftentimes, it may seem as though we have taken the longest voyage to
Sheila Quealey
Jan 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a gift of a book. Written by John O'Donohue it is a book of blessings, as he calls them. For many they could be considered poetry. He captures the heart with these blessing because when reading them it is hard to imagine that he didn't write them especially for me. The moving ordinariness of his observations make them accessible to the confused or unsure believer. This book comforts and is not the kind that you read once and place on your bookshelf - this is a book that has a special ...more
Malene
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A delightful selection of reflections for any circumstance you may encounter.
Angela Joyce
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-in-general
This is full of spiritual comfort and a gentle challenge to love and bless others. I am so glad I read it, and I'm sending a copy to someone I know who is on her way to becoming a bereavement counselor. It's got a blessing for just about every situation one can think of, and they're all just wonderful.
Natalie Grueninger
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this! It's a book I will treasure forever.
Deirdre Keating
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I consider John O’Donohue my self-selected patron saint. A poem/blessing of his, A Blessing for One Who Is Exhausted, was the last thing I posted on my blog after almost 10 years of posts. And his was the best “On Being” episode I’ve heard. I bought this book last summer in Ireland. It is the UK version of the book known in the USA as “To Bless the Space Between Us.”

It took more than a year to finish it, but I’ll miss picking it up and hearing his voice in my head. So many dog-earred pages. I
Warren Cann
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful.
John Buchanan
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Uneven, but that may reflect where the reader is at. Last three chapters struck a chord. Great, great poem "For a Leader."
Skyluv
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you lose someone you love,
Your life becomes strange,
The ground beneath you becomes fragile,
Your thoughts make your eyes unsure;
And some dead echo drags your voice down
Where words have no confidence
Your heart has grown heavy with loss;
And though this loss has wounded others too,
No one knows what has been taken from you
When the silence of absence deepens.

Flickers of guilt kindle regret
For all that was left unsaid or undone.

There are days when you wake up happy;
Again inside the fullness of
V.J. Fadely
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've had a copy of this book for several years. The pages are dog-eared from reading and re-reading. In it you'll find profound and soulful blessings relative to nearly any situation written by a former priest and poetic philosopher, an Irishman from Connemara, John O'Donohue. I refer to it often for inspiration, calm and guidance, and as a reminder of the beauty and goodness of the world if only we keep our eyes open. It's a book I'll always keep at hand. (Note: after Mr. O'Donohue's passing, ...more
Kate
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great reference for blessings, useful in all sorts of situations, for marriage, for dying, for the artist at the start of the day, for the exhausted, for dozens of different situations. At the end of the book O'Donohue includes several brief essays on the art of blessing. So sad that we lost him so young. He gave us a great deal in his brief life.
Melanie Brennan
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A delightful book. I keep it by the couch and re-read sections regularly
Aideen Dunne
Jan 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very beautiful pottery book with a poem for all needs.
Clive Johnson
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of blessings for many common, as well as less common, life challenges. Inspiring and encouraging, this is a book to refer to again and again when facing change or crises.
Norah
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: John Yates and Mary
Recommended to Norah by: Suzanne Brown
A wonderful book to just dip into, which I do, so its not actually officially 'read' but is always at hand, and highly recommended!
Jennifer Osborne
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
John's book really are beautifully written and are food for the soul.
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Most beautiful book I have ever read. Precious, priceless, gorgeous - I re-read often. The author was a gifted writer lost to the world well before his time.
Judith
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of those books, written from the heart & speaking to the heart.
A very special book, which has earned it's place on my shelves.
Travel Writing
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single person in the world
This is a book you will return to again and again. For comfort, for succor, for those nights that sleep will not come easily.

John O"Donohue was a word master and a mystic.
Robin
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
A beautiful, insightful and inspiring collection. A book not to read, rather a resource for reflection and meditation.
Nicki

• Touching Spirit Bear
  • Ten Little Indians
  • Magnolia Table: A Collection of Recipes for Gathering
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost
  • The Torment of Others (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #4)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • Tú no matarás
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • The Cloud of Unknowing
  • Everything Belongs: The Gift of Contemplative Prayer
  • Twentieth-Century Catholic Theologians
  • The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective
  • Contemplative Prayer: Traditional Christian Meditations for Opening to Divine Union
  • Silent Compassion: Finding God in Contemplation
  • The Foundations for Centering Prayer and the Christian Contemplative Life: Open Mind, Open Heart; Invitation to Love; The Mystery of Christ
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.
“The most subversive invitation you could ever accept is the invitation to awaken to who you are and where you have landed.” 1 likes