Start by marking “Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace” as Want to Read:
Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace

Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace

John O'Donoghue turns his attention to the subject of beauty - the divine beauty that calls forth the imagination and all that is noble in the human heart and soul. As he explores the post-modern world's spiritual hunger, he focuses on the Celtic tradition, on nature, language and art, to lead us to a greater understanding of how true beauty is an ancient and continuous ...more
Published December 31st 2003 by Bantam Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Divine Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Divine Beauty

Start your review of Divine Beauty: The Invisible Embrace
Monica
Sep 25, 2009 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is an author that came Highly recommended to me, so now I'm waiting to read the book. But here's an excerpt from his "Reflections":

"Once you start to awaken, no one can ever claim you again for the old patterns. Now you realise how precious your time here is. You are no longer willing to squander your essence on undertakings that do not nourish your true self; your patience grows thin with tired talk and dead language. You see through the rosters of expectation which promise you safety and
Ryan Greer
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book filled with wisdom. Overpowering at times, but saturated with thoughts meant to pierce the soul. I read it like a devotional, which worked much better than trying to power my way through at a regular pace. If you're looking for deeper insight into the nature of beauty, I would highly recommend it.
Riya
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mystically beautiful book.. it sometimes transported me into a different state of being and urged me to question myself about various things. This book will always embellish my bookshelf, and I will probably come across as cheesy saying this but I will always turn to this gem of a composition. "When we experience the beautiful, there is a sense of homecoming"
Mary Karpel-Jergic
John O'Donahue writes beautiful prose. The words all sit in lines like strings of lustrous pearls. This book is no exception to his style and offers the reader a glimpse into an enchanted landscape beyond the everyday.

If you are a materialist and consider consciousness as simply a by-product of brain activity then this book is not for you, but if you have a nagging sense that there IS something more, something precious and wonderful about life and death then John's words will be be a balm to
Andrew
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about pretty much everything. Wonderful, wonder-full. One of those works where you could underline virtually every word and which you wish you could meld with to transform your way of seeing. So many invitations and gifts.

I now need to go back over all the bits I marked, process them, divvy up O'Donohue quotes and scatter them all over my various projects. Appropriate the depth. Make it us.
Stefan Grieve
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theoligy
An expansive book about all kinds of idyllic beauty, (the deepest kind, far sinking beneath the skin) that is beautifully written and expressed through a myriad of carefully chosen poetry and qoutations.
A book of wonder, contemplation and love, It's a book that I may even think of recomended to people that aren't so stricly religious, as it in delves sometimes more into the spiritual, and encompases of schools of thought such as the practictal and scientific.
Divine.
Zita
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a long time to read. There are very deep concepts expressed and I had to put it down and come back to it regularly. I found I had to be in the correct mindset to read it.
Richard Ryan
There were times I got lost in the beauty of O'Donohue's words, and there were times when I just got lost!
Ken
Oct 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read [Anam Cara] and [Eternal Echoes] I have been looking forward to reading this book. The problem with O'Donohue is I read his beautiful prose and then have to read it again to savour taste the words as you would a fine wine. Also his quotes and references send me to read other books and poems.
Ade Bailey
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
Simply, as a text contemplating beauty the book is beautifully written and a portal into the fullness of a beauty that can be expressed, demonstrated but cannnot be neatly described. Itself, an object for the contemplation of divine beauty.
Robyn Yeary
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A treasure I picked this up in Ireland and it accompanied on my trip, what a gift to have found it. I have gifted many friends with it.
Diane Stavrum
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this book many times; I keep picking it up and reading it more. It is as wonderful as all O'Donohue's books.
Stephen Morrison
Good moments, but mostly just okay. Nothing special or to interesting.
Aine MacAodha
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading Anam Cara by John O' Donohue over the past few weeks, I could'nt wait to read his next book, Divine Beauty which I'm currently reading and it's uplifting.
Andrine Morse
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-culture
Not to be missed. Beautifully lyrical ... filled with memory and longing.
Janice Macpherson

• The File Note
  • Three Bullets
  • Toujours Provence
  • Outpost: A Journey to the Wild Ends of the Earth
  • Häxan (Patrik Hedström, #10)
  • Hideaways
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols
  • The Underground
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter
  • The Pocket Rumi Reader (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • The Trick to Time
  • The Moon's a Balloon
  • Fish For Friday and Other Stories
  • Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
  • House of Sand and Fog
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.
“Grace is the permanent climate of divine kindness; the perennial infusion of springtime into the winter of bleakness.” 29 likes
“Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground. RUMI IN” 5 likes