Start by marking “Dead Spell” as Want to Read:
Dead Spell

Dead Spell

Meet Harmony Wolcott. Damaged and determined, she'll take you to the wrong side of the tracks and you'll love it.

Harmony's darkest secret has clawed its way back from the grave and only her best friend, Brea believes her.

Adam, Harmony's boyfriend, fears for her safety. Her mentally ill mother is too busy tending her own demons to care. Brea's family, who has denounced Har
Published March 4th 2011 by Create Space (first published February 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Spell, please sign up.

Peter
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harmony Wolcott is a self destructing person. Harmony, lives on the wild side and loves to party. Harmony can't get any help from her mother, because she has her own demons to fight off. Harmony's father disappeared when she was very young and was raised by her mother. Brea Miller is Harmony's best friend. Brea's mother, does not want the two of them to hang around. Harmony's, knows one thing, that she can count of Brea no matter what time of day or night it is. Adam, Harmony's boyfriend, is afr ...more
Summer
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
...read Dead Spell. Then see if you can get to sleep. I couldn't. Every little noise jarred me awake, heart racing. I kept getting up to check the doors, the closets, behind the shower curtain. I lay awake, mind churning over a novel with a relentless and terrifying grip.

After three hours of nonstop reading, I felt like I'd stepped off a thrill ride that was part world's most bad-assed rollercoaster and part insane house of horrors. Dead Spell carved itself into my muscle memory and won't be sha
A.J. Brown
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to be up front about something before I go forth with this book review: I am not a book reviewer. There are reasons for this. One reason is that when I am editing others' work, I am often a bit harsh. On occasion, writers of those works at those moments didn't care much for how I went about explaining things. I used to be soft of folks so it took a while for me to be brutally honest about someone's work. I've found sometimes you have to be a little rough on folks to get their attent ...more
Sheri
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dead Spell ( Belinda Frisch)

Harmony is a misunderstood troubled teen. Her best friend Brea is quiet and shy and forbidden to hang with her, her mother does not like the wild and mentally unstable Harmony. When Harmony is convinced she is being stalked by a ghost, no one believes her. Her mother is a paranoid schizophrenic and it is assumed that Harmony inherited this disease.

But one thing Harmony knows for sure, she can count on her best friend Brea to help her solve this mystery that has been s
Peter Labrow
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s so hard to review a good book without giving the game away. For me, the pleasure in this book was being taken to unknown places: flawed yet endearing characters with broken pasts and hidden secrets and a plot that twists through a few unexpected curves. So, I don’t want to spoil someone else’s pleasure by taking away those unknown places. Dead Spell is a quick read – mainly because it pulls you in; you want to finish it, to not put it down. It mixes paranormal threat with the grim reality o ...more
Gef
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
In Frisch's debut novel, she offers a paranormal mystery/suspense involving two teenage girls, both with their own troubles at home--one far worse off than the other, though. Brea is shy, insecure, and under the thumb of a rather snobbish and intrusive mother. Harmony, on the other hand, is tormented by what she describes as a spirit named Tom, and has wound up with a reputation as a crazy bad-girl. Her schizophrenic mother and long-running depression don't help matters, either.

The focus of the
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been billed as a 'YA Horror Novella'..in a way I think that's selling it short. It's almost difficult to categorize. Are there horror elements? Yes as the book is partially a ghost story. Is it creepy? Yep. Some of the events and the reveals pretty twisted. In fact, most of the reveals and twists are just that: twisted. At it's heart though I think Dead Spell is more about mistakes, regrets and not being able to chose your family more than anything else.

Harmony is one of the most d
Thomas Amo
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Belinda Frisch's "Dead Spell" Grabs the reader by the collar from the start and never lets go!

Brea Miller is straddling the social lines of her small town high school. Her mother is a control freak, her father moved away under mysterious circumstances years ago, and her best friend, Harmony, is haunted by Tom, the evil spirit that came through her Ouija board.

Harmony is a bad girl who lives a life that is constantly out of control. She thrives on a destructive party lifestyle that she feels nu
Jennifer Rainey
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes going in reading Dead Spell by Belinda Frisch. I had heard a lot of good about it, and I have to say I was not disappointed! I could not put this book down!

Dead Spell follows teenagers Harmony Wolcott and Brea Miller as they attempt to figure out why a seemingly malicious spirit is haunting them, particularly Harmony. The deeper they go, the more confounding the mystery becomes. As I said, this book sinks its claws in and won’t let go, and it’s exciting to watch this mystery unf
Jeannie Walker
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Spell will likely beguile you from the beginning as you learn the dark secret of a tragic past is back from the grave. I believe you will look for the identity and search for answers of the ghostly monster just as Harmony (the main character did and almost went crazy doing so).
I thought Dead Spell was a good book and I encourage others to read it and decide for yourself.

Jeannie Walker - Award Winning Author of "Fighting the Devil" - A True Story of Consuming Passion, Deadly Poison, and Mur
M.L. Roos
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great, fast read. Very well written, the story moves along at a great pace and keeps the reader engaged and involved.

Dead Spell is a ghost story about a 17 year old troubled girl with a schizophrenic mother and a dark secret. Harmony is a troubled girl, does drugs, comes from a broken home and has a best friend and a boyfriend who tries to help.

Brea has a mom who does not want the girls to hang out and tries to keep the girls separated.

Throw in a ghost, a graveyard and a mystery and you have a
Meli
May 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book sucks you in from the start. I feel very honored to be one of the first to read it. Brea and Harmony are dealing with a violent ghost named Tom and neither knows why he is haunting them until one of them dies... I haven't read a horror book in a while. This book did have me scared and thinking about stuff for a while. Thanks Belinda, for such a great read.
Jennifer Smith
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won Dead Spell in a Goodreads giveaway and I am so lucky to have won such a great book. I couldn't put it down. Great mix of suspense and just good story telling. Love this book and can't wait to read more from this author.
Ashley
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good novella! The story was really powerful, and although I wasn't crazy about the way it ended, it kept me intrigued the whole time. Just a slight touch of paranormal, but that's not really what the story is about. Definitely recommended!
Denise
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book. The story was pretty good. The characters were great, despite their flaws. The story itself was well thought out. A very good read. Recommended
Vanessa
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Pretty good story. Fast capturing read.
Monty Wheeler
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
realism in her characters and fast pacing make this one good read and time well spent
Reggie Ridgway
May 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read with delightful prose. Watch this author.
Kimberly
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Loved this book! So many twists and turns I couldn't put the book down.
Jaime Horio
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
A captivating read. Once I started, I didn't want to stop. The story kept me pulled in and I had to just keep going until I finished. A great story of the paranormal
Debra Barstad
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow this book was incredible. A real page turner. I went through many emotions with this one, happy, sad, mad and it was so relevant to how this world is today. I would highly recommend this book.
My Little Book World
This was a really good story with lots of twists and turns to keep you on your toes. 17-year-old Harmony has a pretty sad life. Her mother suffers from schizophrenia, is a drug addict, and sleeps with men for money. They often have no power in the run-down trailer they live in. Harmony does not know who her father is and seems to be the parent in what little relationship she has with her mother. And now, Harmony is beginning to have issues of her own.

She is being haunted by a ghost named Tom, w
Resa
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harmony is hearing voices and as the daughter of a paranoid schizophrenic no one is surprised, but unfortunately for Harmony the voice she’s hearing is real. She is being haunted by the ghost of a man named Tom who seems to be trying to kill her for reasons Harmony just doesn’t understand. Harmony’s best friend Brea is the only one who knows what’s going on and she takes on the task of trying to figure out just who this ghost might be. As Brea gets deeper into the case she begins to discover tha ...more
Masquerade Crew
BEC'S REVIEW

Dead Spell is a bit of a strange book, for while the synopsis talks of Harmony, only half of the story is really hers. The other half is narrated by her best friend Brea who does not rate a mention on the synopsis for some reason. Dead Spell is a novel that is supposed shock you with its twists and turns, and yet I felt at times that the past and truth waiting to be dug up did not justify the events in the first half of the book. This is particularly true for Tom, one of the characte
Karen
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Dead Spell is the perfect book if you’re looking for a quick read. At just 197 pages of fast flowing spookiness, I finished it in just a couple of evenings.

I really enjoyed the main characters, Brea and Harmony and their boyfriends, Jaxon and Adam and I loved reading about the girls lifelong friendship. Both girls were struggling with different aspects of their life and helping each other through with a little help from the boys. Adam, Harmony’s boyfriend was such a great guy. He was the kind of
Dierdra McGill
Dead Spell is about a troubled "broken" teenager that is seeing a ghost Tom who makes her cut herself. I believe it is supposed to be a horror book but I didn't find it the least scary.
This book could have been really good but it just fell flat for me. I never was able to connect to Harmony and I wanted more of her background, which you do get a tiny bit more at the end but still not enough.
Dead Spell was not a true horror for me I would say it was more of a mystery but some reviews said it did
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book automatically started with a punch. Opening scene of a crazy girl was just grabbing at you. As I continued to read I saw the world in a whole new way.

I think the craziness of this book it was got me hooked. Seeing ghosts, going crazy, is a great plot line. But I had a hard time connecting with the main character Harmony. I saw that she had a troubled life but the way she went about it made me shake my head. I understood that she is trying to get away from certain things, but still some
Dannie Hill
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Spell by Belinda Frisch is a story that comes from a writer’s dark heart. There is a light in this tale but it is like the sun trying to shine through a curtained window in a slight breeze.

Harmony, Brea, Adam, Jaxon and the others join in trying to discover a secret that has the potential to destroy many lives as they try to survive life itself.

Belinda Frisch has written an urban tale so real, hard and dark it will have you cringing, wide-eyed and looking over your shoulder. I wonder with a
heather - NightlyReading
This is a great book that pulled me in from the beginning pages and would not let go until the end.

This book was gripping. I felt all of the pain that Harmony had to go through. There were some very graphic parts, but they were very pertinent to the story. The ghost story added another obstacle for the characters to overcome.

I could not believe the shock toward the end! I so was not expecting it and totally blew me away…twice! Harmony and Adam must have really been meant to be together after all
Angelle
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harmony is a bit of a "bad girl" due to her sad home life and mentally ill mother. Her best friend Brea is a good girl with an overprotective mother. Harmony is being repeatedly harassed by a spirit she released from a Ouija board, named Tom. When she tries to find out more about Tom and the reasons behind the haunting she starts to uncover secrets of the past that that were meant to stay buried. Suddenly she and Brea find themselves in more danger than they ever imagined.
I really enjoyed this b
Supernatural Fict...: Dead Spell by Belinda Frisch 1 9 Mar 03, 2011 05:06PM

• The Grave Artist
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • Haunting Obsession
  • An Apple For Zoë (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Dark Spells: Four Books
  • Dark Revelation
  • Loss
  • Near Death (Life and Death, #1)
  • I Wish... (The Witches of Desire #1)
  • Cry for the Moon (The Last Werewolf Hunter, #1)
  • Dark Corners
  • Meany
  • Hacienda Moon (PathSeekers, #1)
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Nephilim Genesis of Evil
  • The Harrowing
  • Asylum (Birch Harbor, #1)
  • Vampire in Distress (Family Blood Ties, #2)
Belinda Frisch is a lifelong reader whose love of the printed word inspires her to write her own stories.

Honorable mention winner in the New York Book Festival 2014 (Better Left Buried) and runner-up in the 2012 Halloween Book Festival (Cure), Belinda’s work has appeared in Shroud Magazine, been acquired by Thomas & Mercer (Fatal Reaction), and was once optioned for film (Cure).

When she isn't