Start by marking “An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)” as Want to Read:
An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)

An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper #4)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  1,111 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
In the fourth novel in the New York Times bestselling series, Marine sniper Kyle Swanson finds himself in the sights of a man he once idolized—a true American hero turned traitor

Swanson and his beautiful girlfriend, CIA agent Lauren Carson, are on a mission in Pakistan when their world is turned inside out. Kyle is captured and thrown in prison. Lauren is accused of b
Published March 1st 2011 by St. Martin's Press

Glen
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Swanson is betrayed by his mentor,who sells his allegiance to a rogue political party in Pakistan, for really, no good reason.

Swanson has to stop him before the leader can get his hands on the nukes.

Diverting, but not very memorable.
Wendy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In “An Act of Treason” Kyle Swanson is sent on a mission not only to rescue the survivors of a military unit wiped out in Afghanistan by the Taliban but to bring justice for their brutal slaying of one of the soldiers filmed on a cell phone camera. With legendary CIA agent Jim Hall, a trusted friend and his associate Lauren Carson, Kyle travels to Pakistan freeing the soldiers only to be betrayed as the city of Islamabad explodes around him in his dash to reach the rescue helicopter. Delayed whe ...more
Paul Pessolano
“An Act of Treason” by Jack Coughlin, USMC (RET) with Donald A. Davis.

Category – Mystery/Thriller

This is the fourth novel in Kyle Swanson, Marine Sniper series.

Kyle and CIA Agent, Lauren Carson, have been sent to Pakistan to avenge the beheading of an American soldier. The mission seems simple enough because they have been basically handed over two Taliban fighters. They have been set up for Kyle by al-Qaeda warlord, Muhammed Waleed. Kyle supposedly completes the mission when he kills the two;
Nick Brett
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the series and the best so far. A massive improvement on the previous one to which I gave a tepid three stars.

This hits a few high points with only one significant low point. Our sniper hero, Kyle Swanson, is betrayed by a former mentor (also a sniper, what were you expecting?) and left framed for an attack in Pakistan. Helped by his chums in the Trident black ops team, he escapes capture and takes the fight to his former mentor.

I enjoyed this, the balance of plot and action i
Jim Thomas
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
A good solid political thriller filled with action, adventure and a little romance, Coughlin has written another Kyle Swanson sniper novel that satisfies. Rarely a dull moment, I may have to read all his Swanson novels. This is my 2nd and I can't recall at this moment why I gave the other one a full 5 star rating but seems it may have been better although I couldn't tell you the 1st thing about it now. Recommended. Sometimes I hate guns and think there should be tighter restrictions and laws con ...more
Alexander
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Marine Core sniper Kyle Swanson finds himself as a man he once always dreamed of being, a true American hero. Swanson and his gorgeous girlfriend, CIA agent Lauren Carson, are on a mission in Pakistan when something very unexpected happens. Kyle is captured and thrown in a local prison where he is confronted with others, and feels very unsafe. Lauren is then accused of sharing information for both countries to cause havoc. Now Jim Hall was the person who sent them there, so they are bound to b ...more
Ed
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marine Sniper Kyle Swanson is betrayed by his friend and mentor Jim Hall. Jim is set to retire from the CIA (after 12 years in the Marine Corps) and betrays his country for a big payday to finance his retirement. He sets up Kyle to take the fall for a terrorist bombing he engineered to cover his exit and frame Kyle. Released from jail in Pakistan, Kyle allies himself with a lovely CIA agent he trusts and supported by the Trident Group, they pursue Jim Hall around the world by following the money ...more
David Dalton
This is one of my favorite action/spy series. I need to catch up on all the Kyle Swanson books. I already have the next book in line: Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5) by Jack Coughlin on my Kindle. But I will wait several months before I get back to this series. Well written with good characters that you either love or hate. This is the old mentor turns evil storyline. Do all mentors turn bad? Either that or they get killed and our hero/heroine then go out and avenge them!
Chris
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Swanson is like Jason Bourne in this one. I read this in less than six hours. Couldn't put it down. Kyle is in Pakistan where he is betrayed by the man who mentored him. He has a new girlfriend too. No mention is made of what happened to the last one. I enjoy meeting the character from Kyle's PTSD induced dreams, "The Boatman." I think it's time Kyle did some narcoficantes in Colombia or Mexico. Why confine his skills to Europe and Asia?
Ron
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Act of Treason was a very interesting and thrilling book, it was fully action-packed and I could not get my eyes off it. The book made you think about those people keeping their home country safe. I thought that the book was absolutely amazing and kept me at the edge of my seat. There are other books written by the author that are related, and are thrillers, I am going to be reading them as soon as I can get my hands on them!

- Happy Reading
Keith
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good! Has the ring of truth of somebody who's been there and done that.
Bec
Feb 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bec by: Picked it up in library
Really enoyed this, was very fast paced and entertaining with very likeable characters. Makes you wonder how much goes on out there that we have no idea about!!
Bill
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical Gunny Kyle Swanson story with lots of twists and turns. The plot kept me engaged and the CIA's imcompetence once again resonated throughout. I look forward to the next book in the series.
Jil
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boek 4 en ik vind de Sniper serie nog steeds geweldig!
John A Cunliffe
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keep em coming!

Another cracking story from Mr Coughlin,well done gunny.Looking forward to the next one.Amazon get ready here I come.Absolutely brilliant!Onward ever onward.
Joseph
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book great characters and plot development
Salsadancer
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrorism, sniper, CIA, defection, beautiful girl, Pakistan make a pretty good story.
Tariq Mahmood
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pakistan, terrorism
This is a straight crime thriller based on counter islamic terrorism plot set in Pakistan, Europe and of-course Europe. It has all the right ingredients like the perfect sexy girl brandishing a pistol, an all American hero who is tough but romantic, and a cruel and selfish villain. I read this book with one reason only, to find out about general perceptions of Pakistan and Pakistanis. 'Pakis' are on the take from both sides and are very devious. They seem to be very religious with most of them p ...more
TJ Creamer
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th book in an 8-book series, referred to as the Kyle Swanson Sniper series. I've previously reviewed the first 3 books, and I've finished the series as well:

1. Kill Zone
2. Dead Shot
3. Clean Kill
4. An Act of Treason
5. Running the Maze
6. Time to Kill
7. On Scope
8. Night of the Cobra

Simply put: awesome escape, all throughout the series. Done well. Truly portrays the "operational aspects" of critical operations. I have thoroughly enjoyed going through this entire series.
Wayne
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was book four of Jack Coughlin's series with Kyle Swanson as the lead character. In this book Kyle's original Marine trainer, Jim Hall, had a career similar to Kyle's until he turned bad. He went into the CIA after the Marines but he turned rogue and tied in with a terrorist group that had evil intents of overtaking Pakistan and it's nuclear weapons. This plot included pirating a bunch of money from secret CIA hordes so he could live richly with his money stash. This is a good book worth re ...more
Melody
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced thriller that will make you think that there is definitely more that goes on in this, the real world, than meets the eye. There is an "authority, a knowledge" in Mr. Coughlin and Mr. Davis' writing that I very much appreciate. I will look forward to reading more of their works. If you are into thrillers involving terrorism, world politics, military, and a touch of friendship and love aspects, this is for you. Nice work!
Paul
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has become an addiction to read Jack Coughlin's books. Every book is better then the last. Mr. Coughlin puts a real human touch into the character Kyle Swanson. Though I am curious to what happen to his Iranian expat girlfriend, noting again Lauren Carson. I am starting the next book this evening!!!
William Crosby
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrorism, weaponry, politics, and greed. Sometimes the enemy is us.

Fast read, realistic plot. Except the ending is slightly lame because it does not fully appreciate the character's extensive experience and life long caution (which would be a habit and not neglected with time).

I would have preferred that the woman have a stronger role.

[Iowa mention]
Cynthia
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it, but whatever happened to his romance with the girl he rescued? She was Lady Patricia's aid, and in this book, there is no mention of her, at all. Otherwise, another great Swanson outing! I'm on to the next...
Linda
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far the Kyle Swanson series are great action thrillers. Jack Coughlin does not get bogged down in the middle of the book waxing prose about the main character like so many other authors do. If you want a great action novel with a main character you can stand behind, read this series.
Fraser Cook
Jun 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A highly enjoyable page turner. Its not fancy literature, but my goodness its fast, its exciting and its fun. Pure escapism. Whens the next one!!!!!
Eric Molicki
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Again, I found this one a cut above in the genre. Fun, fast-paced, and current events worthy plot.
Mark Lykken
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than his last effort. Enjoyed this almost as much as Mitch Rapp by the late Vince Flynn
Simon
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
Easy read, full of action, not to difficult to work out whats going on but a good read none the less.
Mikel Rhodes
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read!

a good story that ties to today's world of terrorism & greedy people complete with double crossing & a hero who follows a code of honor.
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • Domino Theory (Rogue Warrior, #15)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Seal Team One
  • Tiger's Claw (Patrick McLanahan, #18)
  • Diamondhead (Mack Bedford, #1)
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to
More about Jack Coughlin...

Kyle Swanson Sniper (10 books)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • On Scope (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #7)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Long Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #9)
  • In the Crosshairs (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #10)