Start by marking “Gladys Goes Out to Lunch” as Want to Read:

Gladys Goes Out to Lunch

At the zoo Gladys eats
bananas for breakfast,
bananas for lunch,
and even bananas for dinner.
But one day Gladys
smells something even
better than bananas.
Could it be pizza? Ice cream?
Or something altogether better?
Published June 1st 2005 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published May 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Gladys Goes Out to Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladys Goes Out to Lunch

Brina
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This book is such a favorite in our house. The kids love the different voices I make when reading it eg pizza parlor and ice cream truck. It's lasting power is true because last week when my husband and I went to our youngest daughter's class to read books and brought bananas, I pointed out that we totally forgot about Gladys. If you have kids under the age of five or even older, definitely get this book for them.
Jackie
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Gladys the Gorilla only thinks she is tired of bananas...so when Gladys Goes Out for Lunch, she is tempted by many, many delightful, enticing aromas. But it isn't pizza or French food that she craves... it is (Silly Gladys) Banana Bread!

Used for "Going Bananas: Fruit" Storytime-April, 2010,
SouthWestZippy
I truly enjoyed this story. Wonderful illustrations. At the end of the book is a yummy recipe, nice touch.
Jill
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun book. Gladys loves bananas more than anything until one day she smells something even more amazing and follows the smell....to pizza. I was like, of course! pizza! Who wouldn't like that better than bananas? (it's probably my favorite food) But no, that was not what she smelled. We follow Gladys as she tries a few more things in her quest. And we are not the only ones following her--two zookeepers are in the background, following her to presumably to take her back to the zoo ...more
Kary
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prek, storytime
Love it!!! There is also a banana bread recipe at the end which would be a cool story extension.
Shannonmde
Story time Klondike branch (monkeys)
David
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OK, let me get this out of my system. This book answers the age-old question: Where does a two hundred fifty pound gorilla go? Answer: Whereever she wants to go for lunch! It's a really appealing book about food. Don't let this tasty treat slip past you. Ah, now I can continue...

Gladys Goes Out to Lunch by Derek Anderson tells the tale of a banana-loving gorilla who follows her nose on a trek to discover something to eat that smells delicious.

Anderson's bright, cartoony illustrations are rendere
Tam
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute book for my 6-year-old. At the end of the book you'll find a recipe for Banana Bread.

Excerpt from the book:
Gladys loved bananas. She ate bananas for breakfast, bananas for lunch, and more bananas for dinner. One day the most delicious smell came drifting through the zoo. It smelled even better than bananas. So Gladys went out to lunch.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gladys, a gorilla, lives in a zoo and eats bananas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and while she loves it, she cannot help but be intrigued by the smell of something different to eat outside the zoo. This brightly illustrated book follows Gladys as she tries to locate the smell that caught her attention.
Miss Sarah
Jun 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: purple, gorilla
Gladys the gorilla smells something delicious but can't figure out what it is. She eats her way across the zoo but can't find the smell. What could it be? Cute but for older audiences to get allt eh humor.
Katherine
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: elementary
Gladys (the purple gorilla) wonders if there is something better for lunch than just bananas. After sniffing out various options, she stumbles on the source of a wonderful smell. Recipe included so you can have the same wonderful smell at your house. Cartoon-y.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
I've been reading this for years at storytime and it is a classic to me; one of my favorite storytime books. Funny story, great colorful and engaging illustrations. Works best for toddlers (as the first/longest book) or preschool/family storytime groups.
Tricia
May 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
could this be my new favorite book, even though it is old? gladys goes in search of food, drawn by scents. preschool groups will enjoy the illustrations of the adorable gorilla on her quest beyond bananas.
Valerie
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-td-ps
Really cute toddler and preschool storytime book. Excellent pictures, delightful story for: food, sensory, animal, zoo themes
Susan
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
The kids at storytime really enjoyed this book.
Jaxon
May 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Fun
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Storytime possibility for food or zoo theme.
Brooke
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: food, monkeys-apes, zoo
I like this book, but the kids' reactions vary.
Amberly
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would make a great read aloud for K-2 when talking about the zoo.
Paula
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Gladys the gorilla is tired of eating nothing but bananas, until the day she smells something wonderful that lures her from the zoo in search of a new treat.
Emily
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Good read-aloud for preschool story times on fruit/food. Funny ending that kids will have fun guessing.
Chuck Knudsen
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute book about a gorilla who smells something delicious and tries to find it for lunch.
Frank
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Frank really loved it, and was even ask to make Banana Bread after reading it. I think we read it 4 or 5 times this week.
April
Nov 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storyhour-books
Cute book to read for a storyhour session on bananas.
Chrystal
Mar 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Mmmm....banana bread does smell good! This was a fun quick read.
Amanda
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
Cute story with fun, bright illustrations. Don't read when hungry!
Kid
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
The kids loved watching the zoo-keepers chase Gladys in the background.
Kathryn
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute story! Great pictures! Both mother and son enjoyed it!
Missy