Start by marking “Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Teaching the Shorter Catechism has never been easier. This book of daily readings . . . aids memorization by devoting six days per question. explains the catechism in simple language. Provides six different meditations on the main points of each question. Includes key Scripture readings. Takes just a few minutes each day, allowing time for discussion and review. Is useful ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by P & R Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Training Hearts, Teaching Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Training Hearts, Teaching Minds

Kara and I started reading this together more than two years ago, when Kate almost 1. She turns 3 tomorrow.

Overall, it's a useful idea. I like the concept of reviewing one catechism question and answer a week, and I wanted to give it more than 3 stars. Unfortunately, much of the text sounds awkward when read aloud.

Question 102 on the second petition/request in the Lord's prayer focused on the (purely?) spiritual nature of God's kingdom (within people's hearts and in churchy stuff). Makes sense t
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
There are lots of good insights here to explore and apply all angles of each particular topic. I just wish they had used the original language of the 1640s Shorter Catechism rather than a less memorable modernized version.
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book provides the guidance needed for consistent family devotions. The Shorter Catechism questions are broken down into daily, bite-size segments that are small enough to keep the attention of younger children, but meaty enough to engage older children and adults. The only thing that I would change is the updating of the language; we prefer the original.

If you're looking for a devotional resource to use with your whole family, Starr Meade has written an excellent book that will keep your fa
Silvia  Tjendrawasih
Nov 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Erika, Nora
This book has a very good approach of sharing catechism. It is arranged per topic per week. Thus, you will find yourself have a better and thorough understanding on each topic of the catechism. I would recommend this book to all families..

It is best to start reading the book in groups among family members or friends. Read and grow and share together. It's excellent.

I have no idea which are the available spots for you to get this book. But in Medan,ID, you can definitely get the copy of it in my
Jeff McCormack
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, doctrine
The devotional side of this book is very good and useful. My only complaint is that I had always taught my children from the original Shorter Catechism, and this books lessons use and quote from a more modern translation which was totally confusing when we tried to use it because they had memorized the original. I found that to use it, I had to have this book open, and the regular catechism, and that was tiresome to have to always do.
Rob Block
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Currently going through this book with my wife in preparation for our son. This book is very family friendly as it goes through the basics of the reformed faith by asking questions and giving answers. Each question is focused on for six days through short devotionals with scripture proofs which allows for good conversation and discussion. Still going through, but as of now, I am thoroughly impressed.
Kara Larson
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Have been reading this nightly with Jeremy since right before Kate turned 1, and we finished it the night before she turns 3. I really liked the idea of a catechism a week with 6 daily devotionals--each with a supporting scripture passage. It did feel forced at times. Maybe we will go through it with Kate at sometime in the firitre?
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Excellent in explaining the Shorter Catechism to children.
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This is well written and we enjoyed as much as we were able to read until it became too difficult for a child of six or eight. I think we will pick it back up when our children are a little older.
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Great way to be introduced to the WSC. Recommended.
Brian Tanner Tanner
Jan 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I use this with some of our High School students I interject the questions and do a study!
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Andy and I read this at breakfast each morning. It's a good explication of the Shorter Catechism and a good way to do a short devotional before everyone heads out the door.
Becky Pliego
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, devotionals
Very good. Great help.
Oct 07, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: family
3.2 - Family/Devotion
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great for family devotions working through Westminster Shorter Catechism.
Sean McGowan
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Standing on the Promises
  • Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
  • Successful Christian Parenting
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • Gospel-Powered Parenting, How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
  • The Westminster Confession of Faith: For Study Classes
  • When You Rise Up: A Covenantal Approach to Homeschooling
  • The Exemplary Husband: A Biblical Perspective
  • A Method for Prayer: Freedom in the face of God
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • Praying Backwards: Transform Your Prayer Life by Beginning in Jesus' Name
  • God in the Wasteland: The Reality of Truth in a World of Fading Dreams
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • Christian Living in the Home
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God: Old Testament
  • The Mystery of Providence
Starr Meade served as director of children’s ministries for ten years at her local church and taught Latin and Bible for eight years in a Christian school. She is a graduate of Arizona College of the Bible and has authored a number of books, including Training Hearts, Teaching Minds. Starr and her husband live in Arizona where she currently teaches home school students and is mother to three grown ...more
More about Starr Meade...

Nonfiction Deals