Start by marking “Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?” as Want to Read:
Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  43,389 Ratings  ·  667 Reviews
Moo moo! Hoo hoo! Cock-a-doodle-doo! Oh, the wonderful sounds Mr. Brown can do. Now see if you can do them too! This fabulous book is ideal for teaching young children all about noises!

This delightful book forms part of the second stage in HarperCollins’ major Dr. Seuss rebrand programme. With the relaunch of 10 more titles in August 2003, such all-time favourites as How t
Published August 4th 2003 by Harpercollins Childs (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?, please sign up.

Evan
Mr. Brown can make sounds like nobody's biz
His mouth is a cacophony of auditory jizz

He can grunt like a hippo or buzz like a bee
Or mimic the pee stream of a hum-a-dung Dee

He puckers and blurts out sounds like a psycho
Wheezing more noise than a Cajun doing zydeco

He putters and sputters so much aural effluvia
He's developed a callous on his poor poor uvula

He puckers and blurts out his onomatopoeia
His irate neighbors equate it to sonic diarrhea

Like crazed Mr. Brown, Dr. Seuss is sans peer
But this bo
WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

This one is a read out-loud book! I LOVE THOSE! I want kids just to read to...
...that aren't actually mine.
Because I'm not ready for someone else to depend on me.

ANYWAY, another win for Dr. Seuss and all his rhymes!

Sorry again for the mass update on these books. I just love Dr. Seuss.

WrensReads | Twitter | Instagram
Jillyn
Jun 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jillyn by: Emily
This book follows Mr. Brown as he makes noises.

It is annoying for kiddos
And adult readers too
I do not need a book
To tell me to moo.

This is a book I will not be getting for my children in the future, lest I get headaches.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a fun little book (literally - this edition is a very small board book), about all the noises Mr Brown can make and how wonderful he is at making noises, and encouraging readers to make them too. The babies/toddlers (they're around 18 months old) aren't yet at the stage of making animal noises (except for one who can make a dog noise), but they love hearing me make them and I'm sure it'll be only a matter of time before they're joining in.

Some of the onomatopeias are fun to make, like t
Angie
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Mr. Brown, lifelong resident of Whoville and local Dr. Seuss celebrity, was arrested early Monday morning on charges of sexual harassment.

A woman, who goes only by Lala, alerted authorities last week that she had been cat-called by Mr. Brown everyday for the past week as he was leaving his house around 6 o'clock in the morning.

The Whoville Times had the chance to question Mr. Brown on the accusations.

"I did nothing wrong," he explains. "I was merely mimicking the beautiful bird in Lala's rose bu
Duke L
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book leaves me cold and traumatized. It is sickening and chock full of indoctrinating messages to the most susceptible of readers. Adults, please do not read my review to your children.

Now, rather than review the book properly, I will suffer and read the book again and post my reactions to each page. By the end of this, you will understand. Oh god you will understand.

We start. Mr. Brown is odd. Not just in a quirky, "makes noises" way, but on a subconscious level. His necktie has three ends
Courtney
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Now, I typically like Dr. Seuss' works due to the fact that they are cute with adorable rhymes, and "Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You?" is no exception to this rule. If I had one complaint to be made, it would be the fact that it was a little long and complicated for the age range that it falls under. I feel like this story went completely above and beyond my children's head, some of the sounds that were made could not be reproduced- there was just no way for them to be.
Marshall
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, right off the bat let me set your straight: we own the hardback edition of this book with paper pages and the small board book edition. You NEED to have the hardback version. Why? Because the board book version pails in comparison. Entire pages with great sounds and illustrations are omitted, and you don't get to repeat the sounds Mr. Brown makes at all until the end. In the hardback edition, you do several times - and you get to do a hippopotamus chewing gum. Grum! Grum! Grum!

But I get ahea
april
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Mykle
May 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Yes, I can fucking moo. Thanks for asking.
Neda
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I see the influence of his book on many of our writers for children..
Chad Ryan
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Fine concept, I s'pose; nice wrap-up ending, I s'pose.
Amanda Hoffman
This book does well with rhyming and sounds. I chose this book because this book always gets kiddos to participate in reading. It is a great book to open up kids to reading and showing them they can read some of the words as well.
Louise
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read with lots of sounds for little ones to join in with
Stacey
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Seuss-a-phobics
Recommended to Stacey by: Liam Ocker
Shelves: picture-books
After reading Mr. Brown Can Moo for the 105th time today, I deemed it Worthy of a goodreads (my wannabe blog) review. In the time I have spent reading Mr. Brown, I could have read War and Peace.

Caleb loves Mr. Brown. In typical boy style he loves sounds (not real good about putting them together into words, but he can boom right along with Brown).

This book is significant because it has impacted my life on various levels. In addition to saving me from War and Peace, it allowed me once again to en
Lstirl
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Mr. Brown is an expert at imitating all sorts of noises. There isn't a sound Mr. Brown can't do, from a hippo's gum chewing to a goldfish's kiss. The noisemakers are graphically illustrated and the "sound effects" are printed in big lettering.
As a fan of Dr. Suess, I loved this book. I feel that young children and infants will love the rhythm and rhyme of this story as well as identifying with the items that are creating the noise. It would also be engaging to make the noises with the child.
Ho
Jay
Mr. Brown can make any number of sounds with his voice except, evidently, human speech. But who cares? It's a story. Along with such Seuss classics as "Hop on Pop" and "Green Eggs and Ham," this is one of those "must reads" to children. It's short, the examples of sounds are fun and varied, and the illustrations are engaging. The "Can you?" part of the title is really an invitation to the child or children to whom the story is being read to imitate Mr. Brown and/or the sounds he mimics.

Any deep
Tandie
Finally, the third top requested nappy time book. Mr. Brown can Moo. I know these 3 are not the most popular Seuss books, but we loved them. There really is something about the repetition of familiar stories that comforts kids & settles them down. Is Mr. Brown annoying? Yes, but only the first 20 times or so. Then it just becomes a bunch of familiar sounds. The Cat in the Hat was just nightmare creepy for us. Green Eggs & Ham? For some reason, Sam I Am never stopped being annoying.
Jason
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-to-cass
Not sure what the fuss is about this book, my daughter proved very loudly that Mr. Brown isn't special and in fact she can do all the sounds he can do, I did like the sound a butterfly makes, but she soon went back to impersonating thunder.

The book is quite short, very basic stuff, I guess it is teaching young children sounds, but in the style of Dr. Seuss he soon moves on to sounds other than animals.
Elizabeth
When I introduced this one at toddler story time, about half of the kids excitedly announced that they had "that book" at home. (This always makes me nervous, because a) they know when I miss a word, and b) I know that I probably won't read it the "right" way.) But they were really into it until the very last page, when one little girl (who, yes, had this book at home) spoke up and asked if I could read the next book now instead. Eh, 26 (enthusiastic!) pages out of 27 isn't too shabby.
Heather
This has been a favorite since the first little guy was a baby. Who can resist listening to your parent moo or buzz?

We've enjoyed this book throughout the years and even the bigger boys like to listen to it now. It can get really loud, and long, with all of us making the sounds.

I think it would work as a beginning reader book as well, but some of the words are a little harder than the other Seuss books.
Gerry
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just a bit of fun as I love Dr Seuss.

Written apparently so that children would be able to learn about onomatopoeia and the sounds that they hear every day - well, almost every day!

Cows mooing, bees buzzing, trains choo chooing, goldfish pipping (apparently when they kiss!) and so on.

Delightfully illustrated as always and a pleasure to peruse.
Alexander The Triumphant
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was about sounds, and he did "noo" and that was the easiest one. But people that know how to do sounds don't need to read it. I liked this book because it teaches us the sounds, and it helps us learn the sounds. -by Alexander
Carter Harrison
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Our little sister is 2, and she loves this book! Reading it to her is really fun too- we all make the sounds together!
Eric
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Brown is a fantastic poem with silly sounds and words for kids to learn how to read. It is such a good poem, you can't help yourself but to sing the text.
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, american-20th-c
I think this is the first one I read to my son because of all the onomatopoeias in it. It is so much fun to say Klopp klopp dippity dopp. And I could go on…a must.
Casey Braden
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
perfect
Shauna
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Shauna by: Catherine
Shelves: bug-s-books
A gift for my newborn son, Bug, at his Book Club Baby Shower. He especially likes the pages about rain and thunder.
Adam
The only one I can't do is the "knock knock."
Dee/ bookworm
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kids laugh through this if you do the sounds. :)
Seuss Lovers: Mr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? 1 3 Dec 06, 2012 06:47PM
  • Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
  • Doggies: A Counting and Barking Book
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • No No Yes Yes (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Little Blue Truck
  • Baby Animals
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Tails
  • Big Red Barn
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
More about Dr. Seuss...