Start by marking “Fox in Socks” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  60,867 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews
An alternate cover edition exists here.

This is a book you READ ALOUD to find out just how smart your tongue is. The first time you read it, don't go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble.

Dr. Seuss gives fair warning to anyone brave enough to read along with the Fox in Socks, who likes to play tongue-twisting games with his friend Mr. Knox
Published May 6th 2003 by Green Back Books / HarperCollins Children's Books (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Fox in Socks, please sign up.
Johnny 0h15m—About a quarter of an hour, per a brisk reading of the 1965 Hardcover edition with ISBN 9780394800387.
Johnny As of 2022, no, I don't believe there have been any. Not yet, at least.…moreAs of 2022, no, I don't believe there have been any. Not yet, at least.(less)

·  60,867 ratings  ·  1,605 reviews

Start your review of Fox in Socks
Tim
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does the fox say?

Incoherent nonsense that my daughter truly loves. I've given up ever trying to read this book without messing up at least once, my voice and brain are just not up to the challenge; if anything though, that is part of the charm.

Obviously based on her laughter, that adds to the book to her at least.

4/5 stars for one of the good doctor's classics.
Erin
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: may-2019
Mental Health Break!

I've been reading books dealing with really dark situations all day, so I needed something easy to read.

Super cute read!
Michael O'Brien
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
My youngest daughter (4 years) picked this one out from Books-a-Million for her bedtime story. She enjoyed and laughed at its amazing tongue twisters and humorous pictures. My second oldest son (19 years), severely autistic, also enjoyed it too when I read it to him and to his little sister. So a wide appeal in the O'Brien Family demographic! A great fun book for pre-school and beginning readers! ...more
Sean Gibson
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The only downside to this delightful Seuss joint, perhaps my favorite work of his, is that it lacks the greatest tongue-twister of all time: how many boys could a bag boy bag if a bag boy could bag boys?

(The answer is seven, incidentally, if you’re keeping score at home.)
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Either 1 Star or 5 Stars depending on how many times you've been forced to read it/how many glasses of wine you've had to drink

Palm Springs commercial photography

Any sportsball fans in the house? If so you’ll know that meme is 100% accurate. However, since today is Dr. Seuss’ birthday I’m here to talk about a different annoying sound – that which comes from discovering what the fox says . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

Wrong again, but it’s almost as aggravating. In case you are someone w
Willow
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is my favorite Dr. Suess book of all time. That’s because my mom couldn’t read it. I mean...she could read most of it. But when she got to the Bim bends Ben’s broom, she’d start tripping up. Then she’d start to laugh, and she laughed so hard a couple of times tears came to her eyes. I loved my mom’s laughter. Consequently, I used to pick up this book almost every night. I think she hid it for a while.

So can YOU read this out loud?

Bim comes.
Ben comes.
Bim brings Ben broom.
Ben brings Bim broo
Najeefa Nasreen
Apr 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A great tongue-twister loaded with too many rhymes.
Alex
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Poor Knox cringes and begs for mercy. "Please, sir. I don't like this trick, sir." But Fox refuses to relent. "Here's an easy game to play," he whispers - but his wordplay is more than games. It's an assault on Knox's very sanity, and as the book progresses he slowly, cruelly tears the fabric of reality away from the defenseless Knox. An unending series of nightmare images parade by, reminiscent of brainwashing scenes in dystopias like 1984 and Clockwork Orange.

sews
a giant crow sews Knox into a box

blue_goo
o
Calista
This is the tongue twister to end all tongue twister and of course it is a fox which makes it perfect. I heard an audio recording of this where the reader was extremely fast and I aspire to be able to say it that fast and it is difficult.

This is one of my all time favorite books and I love to get it out and read it fast to the kids, well, as fast as I can and they laugh and wonder how I do that. It's my one trick. I give this all the stars.
Dan
Oct 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021-books, 2021
When my son decides he likes a book, he likes you to read it so many times consecutively that the words lose all meaning. Fox in Sox is one of those books.

No two ways about it, this book is an endless series of fun tongue twisters. It's fun to read out loud but after the first ten times, everything blends together and your brain starts feeling like warm oatmeal.

Fox is Sox is some brain-melting, tongue-twisting good fun.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles....

What do you know about tweetle beetles? Well...

When tweetle beetles fight,
it's called a tweetle beetle battle.

And when they battle in a puddle,
it's a tweetle beetle puddle battle.

AND when tweetle beetles battle with paddles in a puddle,
they call it a tweetle beetle puddle paddle battle.

AND...

When beetles battle beetles in a puddle paddle battle
and the beetle battle puddle is a puddle in a bottle...
...they call this a tweetle beetle b
James
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
‘Dr Seuss’ being the pen name under which Theodor Seuss Geisel wrote (taking his middle name and making full use of his Oxford University PhD in English literature) was the American born grandson of German immigrants to the US.

Beginning his career in the late 1920’s as an illustrator and cartoonist, it wasn’t until nearly 30 years later that Seuss produced his classic series of children’s books that so many of us know and love.

Never having the benefit of the books of Dr Seuss when I was a chil
Mohsin Maqbool
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Seuss will drive you crazy with his silly questions. But then they might be clever too in a wicked sort of way through the mouth of his cool-as-cucumber characters.

image: description

Once again a book full of wild, wild, wild tongue twisters. Read and go mad. Make your children go mad too for a day. Nothing wrong with it.

image: description

Truly Rocks.
Socks on Rocks,
Box in Socks,
Rocks in Box,
Socks on Fox.
This is one book that is richer
Than Goldfinger's Fort Knox.
If you say right each tongue twister
You
Peter Meredith
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Because Mockingjay was so intellectually vapid and emotionally bland I have to work my way back into books. Thus: Fox in Socks! He's a clever fox you know.
If you enjoyed this review you'll probably like my Youtube reviews--be warned, I enjoy some good snark! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6D...
Sophie Crane
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, poetry
Tongue twisters that'll make you stumble and chuckle as you try to read this insane book aloud.
Brilliant.
Rebekah
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, children-s
one of my kids favorites, they love having me try to read it and then read it fast. TONGUE TWISTERS!
midnightfaerie
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of our favorite Dr. Seuss books. One of the best tongue twister books I've ever read. We've read it several times and for some reason the six sick part always messes me up. I'm pretty smooth up until then. The more I read out loud to my kids, the more I realize I read ahead. I see a word and digest it, then as I'm saying it out loud, I'm already reading the next couple of words. With this book, that's difficult to do, because I often have to go back a word or two because I've forgott ...more
Jerry
Oct 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Every time I shelve this book at the library, I laugh to myself.

Why?

Back in the day, our local Fox affiliate got into a debacle with our local cable provider, Cox. So, every day for over a month, "Fox on Cox" was all over the local news and in the newspaper. My mom always said that it sounded like a Dr. Seuss book, and she wasn't the only one who thought so; somebody wrote a Ted-Geisel-style rhyming poem and submitted it to our local paper.

The tongue twisters were fun, too; still, I'll always as
Josiah
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book will either help emerging readers be better able to pronounce potentially confusing words, or drive them insane. I experienced a little of both! I remember having fun while Fox in Socks was read to me, though.
Andre Gonzalez
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
fun tongue twisting read!
Adam
Jul 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: evil-kids-books
This is an evil kid's book, for sure. Pick it up and you'll be condemned to a near eternity of grueling tongue twisters. And your kid will love it... Not because it's one of Seuss's masterpieces, but because he or she will enjoy watching you sweat like a hog as you labor from page to page and go purple in the face while you silently (with any luck) curse yourself for buying the thing.

[shelf: evil-kids-books]
Philip
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
The Seuss I read tonight...

I'm going to start reading this every night. And I'm going to time myself. My new goal in life is to always beat my previous best time. Ambitious, I know. I read it to my daughters 3 times tonight, each time faster than the last. What a rush.

I'll tell you what's messing me up... It's those brooms that Ben and Bim are carring around. They're REALLY bugging me.
Allison
I don't know what to rate this book!!!

I read this aloud to a 3-year-old I was babysitting, and I died.

At the beginning of the book, it says "danger." I should have been warned... "Fox in Socks" is a book full of tongue twisters, and long too. My mouth died. 62 times for 62 pages.
Brad Meltzer
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A true classic, this children’s book engages the imaginative minds of young readers with its rhyming, tongue-twisting story. Still the best.
Erth
Oct 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The irrepressible Fox in Socks teaches a baffled Mr. Knox some of the slickest, quickest tongue-twisters in town.
Robu-sensei
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
In Fox in Socks, Dr. Seuss poses a treacherous, but delightful linguistic challenge for adults and children alike. It is also the only work by the famous children's author prefaced with a warning: "This book is DANGEROUS!" Through a series of vignettes on diverse subjects, Dr. Seuss melds his trademark silliness with near-lethal tongue twisters, including a variant on the infamous "The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick."

Fox in Socks offers lots of opportunities for grownups. Read it in bed w
Meghan
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My mom just read this to me over the phone when she spontaneously picked it up in her bedroom. I am 8 books behind my 2020 reading goal, lacking motivation to read because of the stress and lockdown here in NYC. I think this is the perfect way to increase motivation and catch up.
Faith-Anne
This book could be my childhood. I remember many evenings that my brother & I would choose "Fox in Socks" for our nightly bedtime read. ...more
Diana Godwin
Mar 19, 2010 rated it did not like it
Reading this book out loud is torture. Reading it 18 times in a row to a 3 year old is unspeakable. I think he wrote this book as a cruel prank toward parents.
Helena Henriques
This may be a children’s book, but it definitely makes you want to keep reading and see if you can make it to the end! 😂 I struggle with the s’s and b’s.
2019 Roe Reading ...: Fox in Socks 1 3 Sep 16, 2020 12:32PM

• Bears on Wheels
  • Are You My Mother?
  • In a People House
  • Llama Llama Red Pajama
  • Inside, Outside, Upside Down (Berenstain Bears)
  • The Poky Little Puppy
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Clifford the Big Red Dog