Start by marking “Hung by the Tongue” as Want to Read:
Hung by the Tongue

Hung by the Tongue

A study of the words of your mouth presenting in serious simplicity the truth of: what you say is what you get
Paperback
Published January 24th 1995 by Francis P. Martin Pub. (first published August 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Hung by the Tongue, please sign up.
Marty Sell A understanding of how your words can hurt someone,
just like a sword can pierces a heart.
Direct sarcasm can hurt, even if you're just joking.
This book…more
A understanding of how your words can hurt someone,
just like a sword can pierces a heart.
Direct sarcasm can hurt, even if you're just joking.
This book helps me control my tongue.(less)

Start your review of Hung by the Tongue
Iona  Stewart
When I ordered this book from the library, despite the strange, old-fashioned title, I was unrealistically expecting that it would be a modern book, recounting numerous examples of people paving their way to success by insisting on maintaining positivity in their speech. However, I was much mistaken,

It turned out to be an older book (or at least seemed to be – there was no publication date), couched in religious language and propped full with biblical quotes; though the main point of the book
Dec 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: business
I like reading books about the power of words and how it can impact your life. This book has a religious perspective on the Law of Attraction, which I thought would appeal to me. However, it contains phrases like, "a particular line of reasoning can be started by the devil placing a thought in your mind" and "FEAR IS DEVIL FAITH." Its absurd bluntness should have caused me to put the book down right away, but my curiosity wanted to see what else this guy would say so I finished the book.
Adam DeBoer
Dec 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anyone wholoves hearing the preacher at church.
Recommended to Adam by: blackopal21@hotmail.com
Intended to be a tool for leadership, this book is a very long sermon. I don't mind going to church, but I can only handle so much preaching. The basic gist of the book is: Be careful what you say, mindful of others thoughts and feelings and don't speak when you can't add anything valuable to the conversation.
Anna
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
A biblical perspective on the Law of Attraction, this little book has some really helpful ideas. One of the first things that stood out was that "fear" is "devil faith." Satan roars like a lion on the earth to call us out. He can only find us and work on us when we exercise his faith. I recommend this to anyone interested in the Law of Attraction, aka, faith.
Erika Kreher
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reiterates the power of your words. Made me think about certain things differently. Time to make a change.
Mary Speight
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
The words that come from our mouths are powerful beyond measure. I enjoyed this read very much. Its an old book, so the wording was a little difficult to grasp, at first, but, then I was able to read through and complete. Every once in a while I will have to stop myself and pray, May the words from my mouth and the meditation on my heart, be acceptable in your sight, oh Lord.
Arielee
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book because so often we don't realize how are words effect our lives. I am and have always been careful to what I say about myself as well as to others. It's a really good book!
Tiffany Smead
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
A biblical teaching/growth book on how your words affect reality. I read this book years ago and remember it as a fun read (from a Christian perspective) and directly applicable to my daily life.

*warning* If you can't stand blunt bible references, I wouldn't recommend it for you.
Becca
Apr 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Interesting book on the power of the words you say and how they impact your life for good or bad. Took the basic truths and adapted them to my knowledge of what is true. A Positive thinking book.
Tim Cook
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The power of our words. This is a great book that is backed by Scripture the whole way through. Use the most powerful tool you have!
Nadine
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book I'll reread and reference the rest of my life!
Abbie
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
You tounge ( by the words you speak ) is what gets you in trouble. Read and see.
Robert Day
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Did I really go through this Bible Teaching Book highlighting my favourite lines all those years ago? Seems that I did!
Michael Coletta
Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for more out of life
Recommended to Michael by: LTD
A very quick and must read. You gain a great understanding of the power of our words by reading this book.
Amber Schamel
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-have-s
A great little book that really got me thinking. I was challenged to use my words to build up instead of tear down.
Renee Pat
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good and it really hit home. You really need to think before you start talking.
Jason
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
What you say, is what you get! My goodnss this is an excellent read!!
Crystal Dawn
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The wisdom in this book is very powerful and effective if applied
Jack
Jan 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I agree with the basic idea of Martin's that what we say leads to what we get out of life, I feel that his argument that because God has ordained this is not based on any clear reasoning. It is little more than his using the Bible as a rationalization for his faith.

Just because the Bible contains a great amount of practical and useful information to guide anyone's life does not prove that it is the "word of God".
D Strong
Great Read

The only reason I gave this book 3 stars is because my expectation of the lesson I would learn was a little different. The does focus on the power of the tongue in the beginning but kind of fades away from that towards the end. I wanted a little more content surrounding the power of words. Great read though
Nicole
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: wwdb
I enjoyed the first couple of chapters (the anecdotes were easy to relate to), but the rest of the book was challenging to get through. Much of the book relies heavily on scripture without much explanation, which makes for a difficult read.
Jim Firzlaff
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very powerful

A great book with solid biblical background of what we say and how we think that either distances us or moves us closer to God's great destiny for each and every one of us
Nicky Billou
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had a profound affect on me. It's making me watch what I say, and even what thoughts I allow myself to entertain. That has helped me enhance my life and extend it by 20 years.

Thank you Francis Martin!
Sandy
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I am reading this again. I read it first around 29 years ago!
Saara Arulaane
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The idea is great, but for a non-Christian quite hard to read. Would recommend for believers though.
Chanel
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Life starts with your words. Words can speak life or death. Speak wisely, follow readers. ...more
Jessica
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read! Completely changed my thought process about what I think about and what I say.
Juli
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Besides the Bible NIV,probably 2 or 3 best books ever written to me.
Geeta Rajkumar
Information we need to walk through life being positive and speaking life to your self and your family.
Rhonda
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS BOOK! I owned a copy 30 years ago and i was so happy to find another copy!

• Acres of Diamonds
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • The Dream Giver
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses
  • How to Have Confidence and Power in Dealing with People
  • The Magic of Believing
  • Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others
  • Tough Times Never Last, but Tough People Do!
  • The Magic of Thinking Big