Start by marking “Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking” as Want to Read:
Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

Finally back in print--the definitive volume on Indian vegetarian cooking. Created by a noted author and lecturer, Lord Krishna's Cuisine features more than 500 recipes, filled with fresh produce and herbs, delicate spices, hot curries, and homemade dairy products. All recipes are based on readily available ingredients and have been scrupulously adapted for American kitche ...more
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1987 by Dutton (first published March 28th 1987)

Start your review of Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking
melissa
Dec 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
This thing is HUGE. It's bigger than the giant Bible my parents kept on a coffee table during my youth to scare me & my brother straight. Also, I got tattooed & I drank & I kept a stash of pot in a cookie tin in my closet back then. I need to go to church. Like now. It's a good thing I outgrew my rebellious youth and now the most fun I have on a weekend is popping mustard seeds in a skillet. I learned that from this book! I have made many a fine recipe! All vegetarian/vegan/veganizable! And no m ...more
Becky
Aug 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received "Lord Krishna's Cuisine" as a gift, the year after it was published. I was just learning to cook seriously, and this book became my guide.

Not only are the recipes extremely good, but Yamuna Devi is a delightful teacher. Woven into the chapter and recipe introductions are stories about her discovery of Indian cooking, aspects of Indian culture, and her travels through the world cooking for Srila Prabhupada, her spiritual teacher. These stories and comments add context and charm to the
Plant Girl
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Hands down, the best Indian cookbook I have ever picked up. I have used this book to make countless meals (mostly for large groups, the recipes double, triple, quadruple easily) and I have had success with practically each and every recipe I have tried. I love that she explains things so thoroughly and oftentimes shares short anecdotes of where she learned how to make a particular recipe. I would highly recommend this to absolutely anyone wanting to learn how to cook Indian food, meateaters incl ...more
Loraine
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I cook with locally grown foodstuffs as much as possible, and I am also vegetarian. Those two facts preclude my getting into Indian cookery too intensely because I live in a northern climate where neither chickpeas nor adzukis nor lentils used in dahls are grown. Regardless, I was hoping to find more bean dishes like rajma. (No luck!) In Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison recommended Yamuna Devi's book as the best book for those interested in learning more about Indian vegetarian c ...more
Katherine Wolfe
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you could only have one cookbook, this is the one I would choose. It's easily my favorite, and without a doubt the definitive resource on Indian food for vegetarians. Since I am a vegetarian, I don't miss the meat dishes, but even before I gave up meat I loved the breadth of cuisine covered in this weighty tome.

I received a copy as a gift when a naturopath insisted I had a gluten sensitivity - I didn't, but there was a few months where bread was off the menu, and it was all the Vaisnava fest
Sara
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book lives up to its reputation as a definitive Western text on Indian cooking. The multitudinous recipes are complemented by discussion of the cultural relevance of various foods and food practices and a useful guide to Indian food tools and techniques. Novices to this cuisine (like myself) diving into this book will probably find a need to stock up on some specialized equipment, but that's not critical for each recipe. Used in-depth, this book constitutes a thorough introduction to cookin ...more
Prabhu
Considered by many Gaudiya Vaishnava communities to be the Gold Standard of temple cookbooks. Jamuna DD was a very high devotee of Srila Prabhupada, this book contains an intense collection of recipes, stories, charts and just really vast treasure trove of information surrounding the transformation of bhoga into prasadam. So many absolutely essential preparations of Indian and Bengali vegetarian food that is prepared as gifts to be offered to Deities of the Lord in various forms. Dals, Sabjis, S ...more
Cedar
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys Indian food.
This is by far my favorite cookbook. I have only had it for about two months, but have made quite a few dishes already. Everyone I have made these recipes for are in awe, and shocked when I tell them how easy making Indian food really is. The recipes are well written, easy to follow, and the author goes in to great detail about methods, ingredients, and everything you need to know about making Indian food!
Jocelyn
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I cooked my way through _LKC_ much of 1996, 1997, and 1998 and still turn to it with affection (though I often add onions and garlic). It's by far the most battered, stained, and annotated volume in my large cookbook collection.
Tiffany
May 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
The edition I borrowed from the library was formatted inconveniently for a cookbook. It was like a very thick hardcover novel-sized book. The book wouldn't stay open and there were no pictures. They could improve the book immensely by making it bigger, editing out some recipes, and adding some pictures of the dishes.
Cherie
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is an encyclopedia volume of EVERYTHING related to Vaishnava kitchens. Many things will be too involved for your basic cook, but the plethora of recipes and ideas and techniques are a must for any serious vegetarian Indian cook. Love the little Vaishnava elements.
barbecube
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This book is worth it just for the chapter on sweets.

There's great stuff in every section, although it's so dense and so comprehensive that the gems are hard to find, and its reliance on hing as a substitute for alliums (pursuant to a religious restriction) is unappealing to me and demands that some recipes be adapted to revert them. I treasure this document and it will serve me well for many years.

But, the sweets.

Indian sweets are laborious and tricky to make, often involving long cooking times
Samantha
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Veg heads, Indian food fans
Shelves: cook-books
One of the best Indian cook books ever written. Devi's book is a compendium of vedic vegetarian recipes. And to be honest, I didn't even realize that the recipes had no onions or garlic until an Indian friend pointed it out. I am a HUGE fan of garlic and onions (HUGE HUGE!) but still, I absolutely love this cookbook. The recipes are exquisite, though admittedly they are often very complex. But if you want to cook a vegetarian feast some weekend, check this book out from your local library and sp ...more
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love cookbooks, but don't usually review them. However, I went out today and bought my fifth copy of this book--the other three having been given to friends who liked some recipe or another. This is the only cookbook I cannot do without--and I am not even a tiny bit Indian. It's a cook's education in a single volume, with more information about basic techniques, the blending of flavors, and cooking with whole, natural foods that I've ever found.
Rose
Feb 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
very good instructions on making sweets and dairy products like chenna and paneer, although i think the vedic style of indian cooking sometimes overuses the known digestive spices. not EVERYTHING needs ginger. geez. but other than that, excellent. good index and hindi-english ingredient list. this lady apparently doesn't like onions, which i think is weird.
Tim
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have this in an earlier large format paperback edition.
I am not vegetarian, I am not Indian, however this book encapsulates everything that makes vegetarian Indian cuisine exciting to a carnivore.
A fabulous book, filled with great recipes and everything you need to know about preparation of all vegetarian foods.
Hope
Dec 04, 2007 marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbooks
I read cookbooks more than I read fiction. This is the scariest cookbook I own: hardly any pictures, about 1700 pages long, and no bacon. This is why I haven't tackled it yet, but it has a lot of promise.
Jamie
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, reference
Haven't tried many recipes yet, but what I have tried I liked.

I stumbled across it at a discount book store and grabbed it because it was cheap and looked interesting.

It's a huge cookbook with tons of recipes.
Alicia
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Indian food and cooking
I'm not sure you ever finish reading this book but I love Indian food and have learned to cook several dishes because of it. All dishes are vegetarian and most ingredients can be food at your local Whole Foods or an Indian grocery store.
Neha
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Excellent vegetarian cookbook. Many of the recipes are traditional, home-style cooking that I grew up learning how to make. Each one turns out great if you follow the recipe exactly, which is awesome.
Ash
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very Americanized, even the spices are not normal ones that we use in our Indian kitchens. Also common simple recipes are not there in the book. Most of them have weird names, just to make a commonly made recipe sound exotic.
Karen Aleta
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you follow the recipes carefully, you can make restaurant-quality food. The curried cauliflower and potatoes is now part of my repertoire. I also learned to make Raita that was out of this world.
Vali
Jun 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
This cook book is definitely impressive. But although I have managed to make some delicious meals from its recipes, this book is not for the beginner cook. Perhaps when I become more accomplished I can give it more stars.
Constance Hood
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding reference. We had to cook a wedding feast for 85 in August, and the food was fabulous. Best part is that without dairy or egg, I didn't have to worry about food poisoning. These recipes are now new family favorites.
Emily
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily by: Nancy
Yum. Finally a recipe for Lemon Rice that I love almost as much as my host mom's. That recipe alone changed my life.
Caroline
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is not only beautiful to look at, it is absolutely filled with almost any Indian vegetarian dish you could ever hope to make. So far everything we've made out of it is fabulous.
Melissa
Jan 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great guide to cooking beans, lots of new types of recipes for me. I love the text interspersed with helpful tips - I kind of like how they are sort of poorly organized.
Ailsa Ek
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
The most useful cookbook in my collection, even rates above my vintage Joy of Cooking.
Theresa
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Not just a cookbook, but a comprehensive manual on Indian cooking. The recipes are delicious, if sometimes complicated, but the explanatory notes are worth the price of the book.
Leigh
Jan 17, 2010 added it
Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi (1987)

• Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • The Moosewood Cookbook: Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant, Ithaca, New York
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
  • The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science
  • Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
  • The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs
  • The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom
  • Vegetarian Epicure
  • The Art of Simple Food: Notes, Lessons, and Recipes from a Delicious Revolution
  • The New Laurel's Kitchen