Start by marking “La muerte de Superman: ¡El fin de una leyenda!” as Want to Read:
La muerte de Superman: ¡El fin de una leyenda!

La muerte de Superman: ¡El fin de una leyenda! (The Death and Return of Superman #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  13,451 Ratings  ·  314 Reviews
La Muerte de Superman: ¡El fin de una leyenda!
Edición de 150 páginas que incluye el material correspondiente a los ejemplares americanos MAN OF STEEL 19, SUPERMAN 74 y 75, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN 496 y 497, ACTION COMICS 683 y 684 y JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 69. El PVP original era de 995 pesetas.
Published February 1993 by Editorial Zinco (DC Comics) (first published January 1993)

Alejandro
The Earth's Greatest Hero has fallen...

WHICH IS THE MONSTER THAT EVERY COMIC BOOK TITLE FEARS???

There is a monster even more terrifying and powerful than Doomsday that inflicts fear into the heart of any comic book title...

The Low Sales' Monster!

The four Superman titles selling at that time were suffering low sales, and the editorial team thought that if "nobody" was reading them, then it was better to kill off the character.

This is something hardly new in the business.

The Batman titles, ba
Andy
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It's no wonder that this is the best selling comic book of all time. "The Death of Superman" combines everything I love about WWF pro wrestling with the tight plotting of a Michael Bay film. Forget all the psychological nuance of Frank Miller's "Dark Knight" comics, Superman is GOOD and that's all you need to know. And who is Doomsday? Where does he come from? Why does he want to kill Superman? Does it really matter? You might as well ask why Hulk Hogan needs to body slam his opponents or why Go ...more
Sam Quixote
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now that you’ve read the title you can say you’ve read the book because that’s all this comic is: the title. Superman dies. The end.

If you do decide to read this you’ll be introduced to the most one-dimensional and worst villain of all time, Doomsday. Forget that post-Death of Superman we learn more about his “character”; in this book we know nothing about him besides the fact that he’s a monster who’s been imprisoned beneath the Earth for some reason, is now free for some reason and causing ha
Mad Tom
Sep 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Superman and shitty comics

(Spoilers.) What a load of horseshit. This is the most preposterous, shallow, unexplained, pointless story arc ever told. You want to kill Superman? You first need to think about everything that hasn't killed him yet. Every villain like Luthor, Brainiac, Mongul, Batman in his crazy mech suit, Anti-Monitor, all the crazy shit of Crisis, going through planet cores and stars and dimensions. I'm envisioning something incalculably huge and powerful, something I've never seen before. But no. Knowing t
StoryTellerShannon
Superman may have met his match as some indestructible being (simply named “Doomsday”) filled with hate marches to Metropolis and obviously creates a path of destruction in its wake. Other JLA superheroes try to stop it but even as a group they are no match. Then Superman joins one JLA group and after they are defeated he's the only one left standing.

See Lois Lane with red hair. Watch Superman give his all against an impossible foe. See other JLA member get “pwned” even if they're third tiered s
James DeSantis
One major advancement for comics after the 90's is writers decided to write characters like actual people. Before that we had a lot of "My Golly G we gotta stop the bad guys!" and "Holy Molley geez what we gonna do?" Instead of them actually SPEAKING like NORMAL people. This "Death of Superman" arc is known as one of the biggest things DC ever done. This wasn't the first time they killed off a main character, they just knew killing off SUPERMAN would bring in headlines.

So what's it about? Well
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Cult Classic Graphic Novel READ!

But am I impressed?

Not really because I know Superman is not really dead.

I think I was in 10th grade when Superman died. Then I think it was the very next year that they brought him back.....

I've never been INTO Superman until recently when I started watching Smallville. I've always liked the idea of Superman but never have been too thrilled with him.

The Death of Superman was just that. It was ok but I wasn't thrilled.

I was shocked to see that Lex Luthor had been
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry for days after I read it. Heroes are not supposed to die!
Javier Muñoz
Le doy un 3 por su importancia en la historia del cómic, en realidad mi nota sería un 2,5 o un 2.

El cómic es entretenido, pero pierde mucha potencia hoy en día, en los tiempos en que fue publicado por primera vez ya solo el concepto de la muerte de superman era increible, la gente supongo que lo leería pensando hasta el final que tenía truco, que al final se solucionaría de otra forma, que sería una portada engañosa más como tantas otras de la historia del cómic... pero como digo, hoy en día si
Jake
It may be grossly unfair, on a literary level, to grade The Death of Superman as a graphic novel. More than any previous compilation-turned graphic novel, the serial nature of this publication seems explicit. That being said, DC Comics ultimately packaged and sold this multi-part story as a single work, which is how I encountered it this weekend. Special thanks to the group of local public libraries that diligently engage in inter-library loan, making it possible for me to read this work at no c ...more
Kirk
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most comic book fans know the story. DC was scheduled to do a Superman wedding run, but Louis & Clark was already going in that direction on television, so they figured killing Superman would be the next best way to boost sales.

So they set out to kill Superman (boost sales). But hey, DC had a bunch of titles that were selling like shit cakes dredged from a city gutter, so they decided to have the story arc cut across every shitty title they had in a desperate attempt to boost sales.

And it w
Michael
Things to know before reading this book:
1. Supergirl in this one is not kara Zor el. its actually matrix, a shapeshifter from a pocket universe(yes you read that right) who was created by the lex Luthor of that universe to defend their world but ultimately got destroyed. DC comics at the time wanted superman to be the last son of krypton, which ment no kara Zor el, no krypto, no zod and the phantom zone criminals.
2. Lex Luthor in this book is actually lex Luthor junior, a clone of lex Luthor w
Scott
Aug 29, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The story here is simple: This crazy strong evil monster who's REALLY REALLY ANGRY arises from somewhere and beats up the Justice League, beats up America, and then beats up Superman until they both die. The end.

That's it. I'm totally serious. I mean come on! This was the Man of Steel. The Man of Tomorrow! Krypton's ichiban ass-kicking muchacho!! And the best death story they can give him is "a big monster punched him really hard"?!?

And Lex Luthor's like: "Punching him! Of course! Why didn't I t
Nicolo Yu
At one time, this was the biggest event in comics. DC Comics killed the world’s first and greatest superhero in a crossover event that drove a record number of units out of newsstands and comic shops and probably made the biggest bubble among those who speculated in comics at that time... That bubble busted eventually, driving the entire comic industry to its knees.

Superman returned in another crossover event, but it proved that DC Comics was willing to gamble on such a risky gambit. At that tim
Scarlet Cameo
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rc-15
Este cómic tiene muchas cosas que no me gustaron, pero creo que el principal es el papel de Supergirl (view spoiler) ...more
Paul
I can't imagine how big this must have been in the comic world back in the early 90's. I can slightly remember it being a huge deal but back then I wasn't reading comics. I am a Doomsday fanboy. I loved him in the Smallville TV show, in the new Rebirth Action Comics, and now in the original story. Anyway, I loved this, and definitely need this for my collection. Some great art and really solid writing at times.
Mike (the Paladin)
The heading on this says it's the best selling graphic novel of all time. I can see that.

I've noted before that when young I was primarily a Marvel fan. Still, till I was 12 or so DC comics were the only ones I'd run across. Superman was the small boy's hero...as a kid I tied a towel around my neck and jumped off the porch. I ran through the house hands out "flying". For my 4yh birthday I got a "Superman suit".

And I watched the Superman TV series with George Reeves.

So of the DC heroes Superman i
Logan
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS FOR THIS BOOK AND FOR BATMAN V SUPERMAN!

Re-Read 2016

This is one of the best superman stories ever! This was one of the first graphic novels I ever collected, heck it was the first! So spoiler Superman dies, although that was kinda obvious... But anyway per the ending of batman v superman, i decided to give this a re-read, and its still as good as when i first read it! One compliant of this story is that there's not much story, mostly correct, but Its not really suppose to, its a story
Jedi JC Daquis
Obviously, Superman dies here. But how? Even without reading this book, you'd certainly know that the Man of Steel would die getting beat up by an outrageously strong villain because Supes dying by flying a bomb away from earth seems to be less climatic. The Death of Superman is a compilation of devastation, earth-shattering punches, and deaths. Some of the issues are a struggle to read but the last one's a visual treat - Doomsday and Superman is giving each other hell! And for us that's colorfu ...more
Nikki
Dec 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how something so important in the world of comics is kinda... ehhh to read. I mean, the final issue has impact, but before that there's not a lot going on other than senseless punching and destruction. Any sort of actual story would have made a lot of difference. Oh, and Superman is hecka concerned about doing damage to the city and stuff, unlike some OTHER incarnations we've seen. *cough* Snyder *cough*
Charles
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought it was pretty weak. I might have liked it better if I'd been keeping up with reading comics but it's been a long time, and this sort of reminded me of why I don't read them much. The action parts were OK. But not much in the way of any kind of deeper story or justification for what was happening.
Andrew
Some pretty good action here, but no real plot or character development or much of anything except a long, drawn out fight with Doomsday.
Ashly Lynn
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Superman fans. Comic fans. Those looking to get their heart ripped out.
Recommended to Ashly by: Found at the Library.
5/5 Stars

Today I’m talking about a comic that was meant to be the end of Superman, but, as it’s now over 20 years down the road, we know that wasn’t the case. The time was 1993, the sales of Superman comics were down, and DC was convinced that it was time to pull the plug. So, I’m going to go a bit Lemony Snicket on you here and advise you not to read this comic if you’re expecting a happy story. You won’t find it. Doomsday has broken free and he’s out for blood. Will Superman be able to stop hi
Helmut
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Also bitte...

Wie kann man dieses Comic als das beste Superman-Band beschreiben? Es ist letztlich nichts anderes als eine recht lahme Aneinanderreihung von Schlägen. Ein einziges Splash-Panel, sozusagen. Die Zeichnungen geben kaum etwas von der in den Dialogen stehenden Dynamik und Schnelligkeit, in der der Kampf geführt wird, wieder. Der Mann, der Planeten bewegt und Atombombenexplosionen überlebt wird verwundet, weil die Knochen von Doomsday so scharf sind? Wie bitte?

Laaaaaaangweilig. Und eines
Eric
Wow. First it's funny to realize that without obsessing over this arc... and/or the internet (it was 1993!) how much you actually missed. There was a lot to the story that I hadn't realized I never got the first time around.

Sadly it takes a hit because no one has the balls to actually kill off a character. There's always going to be some absurd method for bringing the top tiered characters back to life... hell even some not so top tiered but at the end of the day this could been epic. Truly epic
Hrishi
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd read bits and bobs of this a while ago, so came to it thinking it'd be epic. And it was, right? Quite epic... in places. Some panels were just great, the writing passable, with some glimmers of above average... and the art in general fantastic, and less dated for my taste. But...

Maybe it was that I knew they brought him back to life soon after.. Maybe it was that the whole thing was just one long fistfight, without reason... Maybe it was the complete lack of back-story or motivation for Doom
Jason Jordan
Pretty bad! Which results from the lack of Doomsday's character development. Where's he from? Don't know. Why's he so powerful? Don't know. What's he want? Don't know. The characters explain that his motivation is to destroy, but that's not nearly enough information. Also, the Justice League B-team takes him on, too, but naturally I wanted the, ahem, A-team (consisting, primarily, of Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman) to see the action instead. The art and coloring are ...more
Eric
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I don't know, for the best-selling graphic novel of all-time, there wasn't much here besides the fact that superman died (note: he did come back). There wasn't much of a narrative, just watching this creature (whom we knew nothing about) destroy the city until it and Superman fought till the death. I've never been much of a fan of the Superman comics anyways, but I did expect more for, perhaps, the most shocking incident in comic book history.
Koen
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a let down, no? Ok, the title says so "death of superman", so we know what we could have expected - But still.. Kind of a shallow story in all.
Great to see "Lex" Luthor shacking up with Supergirl though :p
It's good to have read it, but it certainly won't leave a lasting impression on me..
Greg Strandberg
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This was a very good collection of 7 comics. The pace was very fast for the last 3 to 4 issues. I really liked the last issue where they had a lot of full-page scenes. Overall, a good story line that leaves you wanting more. Not much of an origin for Doomsday, but I guess that can come later. Wish my library had the sequel to this...but they don't (drats).
Iggles' Comic Boo...: July 2016 Trade: DEATH OF SUPERMAN 1 5 Jul 04, 2016 11:27PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: # 83 The Death of Superman 1 1 Dec 09, 2015 11:10AM
  • Batman: Under the Hood, Volume 1
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 8:  Finest Worlds
  • Superman: Peace on Earth
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more
More about Dan Jurgens...

The Death and Return of Superman (3 books)
  • World Without a Superman