Start by marking “The Morville Year” as Want to Read:
The Morville Year

The Morville Year

The Morville Hours won widespread praise from critics and readers alike for the crisp beauty of Katherine Swift's prose as she described the birth and development of her garden at the Dower House at Morville in Shropshire. Now Swift, one of the most-admired gardening writers of her generation, returns to describe a year in the life of the garden in The Morville Year.

From t
Published October 18th 2011 by Bloomsbury USA (first published February 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Morville Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morville Year

Penny
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardens
I loved The Morville Hours, and this book is every bit as good. It takes you through a year in the garden at Morville, starting in the Spring. However, it is not a gardening diary as such and the subject matter can lead to a variety of different places and topics, always interesting.
I'm no gardener (trying to learn) but knowing next to nothing about the subject makes no difference to the enjoyment this book brings.
I'm deeply impressed by the fact that Swift could 'talk through' the garden in th
Jill
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Katherine Swift is a beautiful writer evoking many happy memories and senses of the seasons in the year.
Carmen
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: house-gardening
I quite enjoyed this book. It was divided into chapters that described various gardening things by the month. Several years were listed under each month. The entries were some information, but lots of feelings. It felt a bit like opening a good box of chocolates and choosing which one to eat between all the good choices. We do have one difference. She writes that she enjoys the winter and the cold days. I don't. I learned that a drink called sloe gin fizz is actually made from a fruit called slo ...more
Nikki
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a compilation of Katherine Swift's gardening columns and an absolute delight to read. She is a gifted writer and her reflections on gardens, plants, weather, clouds, cats and relationships is enchanting and engaging. I have just ordered one of her other books to read as I really enjoyed this. I only feel guilty when I look outside at the jungle that is my garden. I wonder if she fancies having a go at it.....
Bowerbird
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful book from Katherine Swift. A slower read than the Morville Hours, it centres more on gardens than her first book. Maybe I should have given this four and three-quarter stars but reading this on a dull February day conjures up such delightful pictures I can dismiss my marginal preference to her earlier book.
Swift's prose brightens the dullest days in the same way as sunshine and a bunch of flowers. Long may she continue to garden and to write about it.
Simon
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I have been reading the Morville Hours throughout 2014 enjoying Katherine Swift's reflections on her garden as they kept me company through the year. I found I share many of her interests, enthusiasms and reflections to the extent this book has deepened my pleasure in my own garden. My only regret is that the year has now come to an end and with it her constant companionship.
Suzie
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want beautiful writing about a garden (and other people's gardens, and books, and cats, and bees, and food), I thoroughly recommend both the Morville books.
Robin_R
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was a pleasure to read! ... and a lovely education in gardening.
Grab
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The perfect balance between garden account, history and philosophical musings.
Chavelli Sulikowska
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book kept me cosy through the chill of winter! A fun romp through the seasons of an old English garden and the delights, reflections and frustrations of every gardener is captured perfectly!
Steve
May 14, 2013
Deb Bell
Jan 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Katherine Swift lives at The Dower House, Morville Hall in Shropshire. She worked as a rare book librarian in Oxford and Dublin before becoming a full-time gardener and writer in 1988. She was for four years gardening columnist of The Times, and has written widely in the gardening press, including an acclaimed series on the gardens and landscapes of Orkney for Hortus. She is the author of The Morv ...more