Start by marking “Shine (Shade, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shine (Shade, #3)

Shine

(Shade #3)

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her p
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Shine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shine

Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,527 books — 15,743 voters
YA Novels of 2012
1,323 books — 10,714 voters

More lists with this book...

SℓιM
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Shine (Shade, #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready by Jeri Smith-Ready

Spoilers (Kind of)

I finally finish this book; it took me almost three years to finish this book LMFAO. Like I bought this book in 2014, started on it in 2014 and stopped reading the book and bought it on Audible still bored. Lol! Because the book was so LONG I wasn't able to finish it and here in December 2016 the day after Christmas I finally finish it. Smh!

Good book, though, I felt so bad for Zachary because he been through hell and
Jan 18, 2012 added it
Shelves: dnf
description

So is Logan in this one or what?!?!?!??!?!?!

Please would one of my lovely goodreads friends let me know once they read it? If it is Aura & Zach the whole book I'll pass...I don't feel like barfing into a bucket the entire book! Thank you!

So far from what I've heard I'll be passing on this one. It won't be good for my health. In fact I think eating glass and nails would be better for my health than the pain this book would cause.
Frankie Diane Mallis
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love--obviously!

Merged review:

LOVE LOVE LOVED this book! One of all my time favorite series, favorite characters and stories. You guys are going to adore SHINE. And trust me, the love story is better than ever!!!
Jen
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So I'm at a loss. What do you say about the ending to a series that has provoked tears from experiencing every possible emotion that exists? (And possibly some that don't even have names yet.) What is there to be said about a book whose characters have infiltrated your heart and mind and made you sigh wistfully and reflectively at a song that sparked a memory or a moment that didn't happen to you but DAMNIT, you feel like it did. What do you do when you know how it ends? And now there's no more ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
As much as I have loved this series, and loved Logan, I was super excited to get a chance to have a book with just Aura and Zach in it. I adored Logan, but I have always loved Zach and his Scottish brogue.

It has taken me forever to finish this trilogy and I couldn't even give you a good excuse as to why other than in the madness of blog tours, ARCs, and everything else, I had completely forgotten about it, which is s shame because this is a fabulous series. So well written and so much fun.

Even
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Quick review:

Cover: Eye catching color
Rating: PG-17
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: A satisfying conclusion to a series!
Characters: Very Well Written
Plot: Hearth Thumbing, can’t breathe at times and emotional story.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Series Ender
Recommend: YES
Book Boyfriend: Zach but I might to Dylan for my pic?

SUMMARY (60 words or less)

Oh man, I’ve been disappointed with YA series sequels and enders in the last year. But finally someone does it right. After the first chapter, I couldn’t
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars The story is back on track after the messy affairs in book two, though I didn't enjoy this quite as much as book one. Although there are interesting developments, some genuine surprises, and all the icky scenarios of the last book are a thing of the past, I think I just disengaged myself too much from the story to really enjoy this one. An overall satisfying conclusion to the trilogy, however. I just kind of wish book two didn't exist.
Andrea
Oct 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
** I think this review is spoiler-free. If there are any spoilers, they are purely unintentional. **

So...I know what you're expecting. Those of you who know me, at least. You know how much I love this series, and author Jeri Smith-Ready. And I'll bet you're expecting me to "Squee!" and flail and freak out about how much I loved SHINE. But I'm going to attempt to remain coherent, because, truly, my flailing and shrieking wouldn't do this book justice.

For starters, I could hardly look at SHINE wi
Eunice
I'm seriously not good at writing reviews for the final book. It's like I don't know what to say even though I enjoyed and loved it. I just wanted to sit down, think of everything that happened and let out a contented sigh and a satisfied smile. Then be at peace. lol! But for Logan, Aura and Zachary who had all been a very fascinating and lovely characters, who made me swoon and grin so much it hurts and who provided me so much entertainment and happiness I guess it's just fair to share everyone ...more
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
The first two books had amazing covers, this one....sucks.

After I finished book

What Aura knows could end the Shift forever...will she Shade out? Or will she Shine?

Before leaving for his flight to Scotland, Zachary is detained by the DMP and taken to Area 3A for unknown purposes. Aura fights to break him free, and when he finally is, something about him has changed. Something that haunts him and he refuses to talk about.
As the DMP start putting out drafts for kids over 18 years old, Aura and
Ferdy
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

Things are finally looking up for Aura - Logan has said his final goodbye and is at peace, she and Zachary are officially together and Aura finally knows the truth about her father and the part she played in the Shift. Aura’s brief period of happiness is shattered when she finds out that Zach has been taken into custody by the DMP/government for being a suspect in the bombing of a plane. Aura is unable to visit Zach, so she starts to investigate the bombing in the hope of freeing Zach.
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
This review is also available over at my blog.

_________________________

Actual rating is 4.5 stars.

So. That's it then. This series is over. You know, before I read the first book, I never had high hopes for the series. I thought it would be like all those other overrated paranormal romances out there in the YA world, and I thought this would be a "meh" series at best. But I will say it right now: I. Love. This. Series.

I so loved how this book wasted no time and just jumped right into action at th
All Things Urban Fantasy
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

From the beginning, the Shade series has had a strong sense of direction, a clear endgame that has allowed readers to fully immerse themselves in Aura’s ghost filled world. In a word, Jeri Smith-Ready established trust between herself and her readers, and in SHINE, she rewards that trust with a completely emotionally and intellectually fulfilling conclusion. I loved every single moment.

One of the many things that makes the Shade series so fantastic is t
Claire
A book full of danger, intrigue, pain, isolation, anguish, friendship, determination, sacrifice and love. A wonderful end to an amazing trilogy.

Stepping into the book was like taking a trip with friends. You feel the emotions rolling around like thunder hitting the world, the need to solve the riddle keeps the book glued to your hands, the want to heal the wounds has you reaching for the emotional first aid box and all you really want to do is wrap your arms around the book to hug them and keep
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single reader I know!
There will be spoilers! This and other reviews can also be found on my blog : (un)Conventional Bookviews

Oh my sweet goodness! The first chapter almost killed me!

Shine is the perfect finale to the Shade series! Oh my sweet goodness! The first chapter almost killed me! I was sitting on the edge of my couch, my eyes as big as saucers, my reaction the same as Aura’s : ‘No! No, that just can’t be true! Not Zach! No!!!!’ *sob* I almost did a Joey and put my book in the freezer, but that just wouldn’t
P.T. Michelle
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jeri did it again! You're going to love, love, love SHINE! Wonderful conclusion to the trilogy.
Kayla
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a great finale, the author prioritised the story over the romance I feel and I really appreciated that.
I think it was so important that Aura let herself open up to Zachary about how special Logan was to her and I really feel that was such an important part of the story and that it's okay to move on from your first love.
Amy
(Warning: I normally try really hard to keep my reviews brief, but I completely abandoned that philosphy in the following review. You have been warned.)  *deep breath*

SHINE is one of those books that, while you are reading it, the rest of the world disappears. While you are reading, you keep thinking to yourself that there has never been a book this good written before, ever. It is books like SHINE that keep us readers breathing.

One of my most favorite things about SHINE is Aura. She felt even
Janette
May 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A few weeks ago, the best thing happened. I was stalking twitter, minding my own business (or everyone else’s), and the very best person offered to share her ARC of Shine. (You know who you are, and YOU ROCK.) I couldn’t believe it! Here was a chance to read this book that I have been anticipating for an ENTIRE YEAR. How could I pass that up? It arrived while I was in TX looking for a place to live. I was DYING because I couldn’t put my hands on it right then. I got home and immediately had to l ...more
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
It's been quite a long journey for readers of this series and the wait for the final book in the trilogy has been a long time coming. I dove right in the second I received SHINE, and I wasn't satisfied until I had finished it all. Words cannot express how absolutely perfect SHINE is. It far surpassed my expectations.

I have been waiting so long for Aura's happy ending and for all the mysteries surrounding the Shift to be solved, but the way it all played out just made me beyond happy. After SHADE
Karen
Mar 09, 2012 added it
Full disclosure: I am friends with the author.

Shine, the conclusion to the Shade trilogy, will leave your heart breaking one moment and have your heart soaring in the next.

Your questions will be answered, and your heart will melt when fans get their long awaited castle scene.

As a rabid Logan fan I was so happy with his overwhelming presence throughout this book. Jeri handled Logan's journey in a way that had me in tears but left me completely happy & satisfied.

There are a few new characters
Lauren Goff
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
::POSSIBLE SPOILERS::

~I received a finished copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review~

Shine is the conclusion to the Shift series by Jeri Smith-Ready. It follows the continuing journey of Aura and Zachary on their search for the truth behind the event known as the Shift, which gave everyone under a certain age the ability to see and communicate with ghosts.

I am very pleased to say that this book was much, much better than Shift. I read this book in two days, half one
Jordan
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to say that I absolutely loved the first two books of this series the first one more so than the 2nd. I loved Aura and really connected with her. Her relationship with logan was relatable and I cried in the first book so many times. I have to say that I really liked Logan more than Zachary so since she ends up with Zachary I could never have given the final book 5 stars, but to only give it 3 had to do with the fact that I feel like Ready created unneccesary problems in the book that she ...more
E.V. Fairfall
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. The whole series was wonderful.
The only thing that made me like the book less was the details about Brigit Murphy - the entries seemed so "spot on" and detailed that I found it hard to believe. Also I really wanted to understand Anthony and his relationship with Gina. Other than that the romance in the book was very nice, the book felt very complete and wrapped up a ton of loose ends. I think Jeri Smith-Ready has a wonderful writing style and I love her characters.
Karla
Aug 09, 2011 marked it as to-read
Summer 2012? Ughhh!
Sam
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Good conclusion to the series. The start sucks you straight back in to the series and holds on tight. I read the first 150 pages in one sitting, I couldn't put it down.

I liked that all the questions were answered and there were no more love triangles.

It also made me want to travel to Ireland and Scotland even more than before.
Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom)

My review can also be found on Reading Lark: http://readinglark.blogspot.ca/2012/0...

I can easily label this book one of my favourites because I cannot stop thinking about it. Jeri Smith-Ready wrote the most PERFECT ending to an already awesome trilogy!

Shine begins literally 5 minutes after the conclusion of Shift with such intensity and emotion, I honestly didn't think I could deal with so much drama so soon. No easing into it... just BOOM! With my heart in my throat, I just had to keep remind
nick
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

Shift, the sequel to Shade, was an utter disappointment for me because I really did enjoy Shade. I was a little wary to start the final book in the trilogy, Shine, but I still decided to give it a shot. I'm happy to say that Shine was a vast improvement from the disaster that was Shift.

(view spoiler)
Deena Graves
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, since Shine does not officially come out until May Uno, I will not be giving away too much here. I love surprises and refuse to blow it for those who have not had the pleasure to read Shine yet.

Those of you who have read the Shade Trilogy, from the uber lovely and infinitely talented Miss Jeri Smith-Ready, already know the master-crafter she is with story-telling. Shine is no exception. Since it had been eons after reading Shift--- Okay, so maybe not that long, but sure felt like it. Have
Charliy Fox
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Well this is defiantly the best book out of the series for me, Shine is pretty action packed and is the right pace in my opinion. I loved how Aura and Zac finally have some alone time together, even if it isn't for very long, and how sweet they are together. It wasn't my fave series by far which is unfortunate but i did enjoy the concept.

In Shine Aura and Zac go to Ireland for their birthday, MX-1 give them fake passports and identities. Zac finds an encrypted video chat app so they speak freel
Alicia
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I know I’ve reacted to a lot of books like this, but… OH. MY. GOSH.

Honestly, this was on crazy ending to one crazy series. Like, I don’t even…

I read this book about two months ago and every time I think about it, I can feel my mind blowing again.

Before I get to the novel though, can we just talk about this cover, because… WHY!? Not only does this new cover NOT match the other two original covers, but it’s not that pretty, I’m sorry. I don’t like the girl’s make-up and I’m honestly just not parti
Lisa
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first two chapters tore me up - how could Jeri Smith-Ready do this?! Because I avoided all sneak peeks at chapter one, it caught me off-guard and I'm glad. It would had been too nerve-wracking if I had read it months ago and had to wait to find out what happens. It's strange, because I even speculated on something like this happening near the end of the previous book, 'Shift' and wrote it on a sticky note which I transferred to 'Shine' with "!!!!".

I loved this trilogy for the uniqueness and
Millie Dixon
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazing-books
Check out more of my reviews at Millie D's Words

Peeps, do you guys know how much I love Zachary? Honestly, he is my fictional boyfrannn. I love his determination and his hidden ninja skills. (He's not like 'WA-CHOW!!!' ninja, but he's decent.) I love his accent and how...ahem...patient he is.

And, while the YA Crush Tourney was in full swing, I was a full supporter of my Captain Patience.

Do I have to show you more about how far my love for Zachary goes? When Aura would push him away, my heart wou
(;Missy.Lala;)
Meh. Not one of my favorite series'... And
To not like a conclusion in a series? Thats bad. Very bad.

This series I actually found myself, because it was about ghosts, and had romance, and had high ratings; so i decided to try it out! But guess what? This series was filled with non-stopping conversation, almost no action at all (amd when there was acfion, it was like pointless to read), i didnt understand a songle thing about the equinoxs and such, and the funny thing is... I love astronomy. Sp w
Chloe Brown
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There's nothing like a satisfying ending to a series.
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I absolutely loved the first two books in this trilogy but due to uni work and a stack of review books to get though, I only bought this one in January, months after it was released. However, I couldn’t wait to start reading it once it finally came though.

Jeri Smith-Ready hasn’t been afraid to give us some exciting but also heart breaking plots in the previous books in this trilogy and she definitely doesn’t stop with this one. Things with the DMP are heating up and they’re hot on the trail of
Yuliza
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finshed Shine, the conclusion of the Shade Trilogy. And OMG. WOW. I loved it sooo much!! Like wow! I just.. I love every single part of it. I love Zachary♥♥ But I also l loved Logan.. I was so sad after he passed on. I missed him. And just all the events that happened.. I fell in love with the whole story. In my opinion it started as just another ghost story... but it turned into something much more than that. Shade was excellent too! It was because of the first book I fell in love with t ...more
Joy
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is the last one of the Shift series. I liked the first book of the series, Shift, above the others. Shift as more appropriate than this book and it was more interesting because there were more ghosts involved. This book however was talking more about Shades and how they ended the Shift. I am actually very scared of ghost, surprisingly I did not get any nightmares reading the series. At the beginning of the book I was really sad that Zachary was not apart of the book anymore, but it tur ...more
E.
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Shine” by Jeri Smith-Ready is the fantastic final chapter in her ‘Shade Trilogy’ series, a young adult series that explores a somewhat chilling reality that has very active ghosts. The series is best appreciated if one starts with the poignant tale of “Shade” as the reader is introduced to a world that is divided between ‘Pre-Shifters’ and ‘Post-Shifters’. Those born after the Shift are able to see and communicate with ghosts unlike those born Pre-Shift. Technology in the form of Black Boxes ha ...more
Alicia Evans
Aura and Zachary think that they'll simply be working through a long distance relationship (which is tough enough) when he's kidnapped by the DMP and held hostage. Aura worries that they'll torture Zachary and that they'll discover the secrets of the First and Last. She must use her knowledge of their two governments, as well as everything that she knows about the Shift to help Zachary and get him somewhere safe. Aura also must continue on with her initial mission--to know more about the Shift a ...more
Amy Jacobs
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melissa A.
Shade ha sido la trilogía que he leído mas rápido, así que no me sentí tan desesperada por saber como evolucionaba la historia, ademas de que los finales de cada libro eran de alguna manera bonitos y no tan trágicos como para comerte las uñas y pensar ¿¡Que $%&/#% paso aquí!?, sin embargo los tres fueron emocionantes, la trama es realmente buena y los personajes aun mas. Ame que Smith-Ready mezclara la historia con la música, en cada libro encontré bandas y canciones geniales por lo que esta ...more
Becca
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Wow. That one word describes how I feel about Shine, the conclusion to the Shade trilogy. I devoured all three books in about a week and a half and I can honestly say I already want to go back and re-read it all. Shine absolutely blew me away. I was expecting to have a few loose ends not tied up because that's what happens generally; the author likes to leave the reader hanging because they can but not Jeri. Every little loose end, everything, had closure.

I was wondering how Shine was going to b
Stephanie
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shine unfortunately was the last book In a very nice trilogy.
When I started reading shade I loved it from the begging. Jerri Smith Ready had a voice to her writing that I fell into immediately it was captivating, and witty. This series started with everything I could hope for!
I then got a arc of shift from the book store and devoured it falling in love with the characters all over again. This leads me to shine the conclusion. I loved it personally and found it satisfying even though I had the
Kelly Hager
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am so in love with this series and everything about it! I'm upset that this is the last book but at the same time, it was perfect. From the beginning (which made me cry so much!) to the answers to the mysteries to Zachary and Aura...so, so perfect.

I love how the mythology in this series keeps changing but in a completely realistic way. For example, in Shift, we learned that Zachary and Aura could exchange powers (in a way) and while that could come across as a jumping the shark moment, it made
Rickey Russell
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shine is the third and final novel in the Shade Trilogy from Jeri Smith-Ready and a powerful ending it was. The story of Aura Salvatore is truly on epic adventure with some very intense and terrifying exclamations which suck the ready in completely. Where book two takes a calming breath with minor fluctuation in drama book three goes full out suspense in it’s approach. There are only a few moments were this story takes pause to allow the characters a moment of emotional reflection. For the most ...more
Hiba
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
this was really cool! finished it in now time!
such a sweet happy ending it had. But what I loved the most about the shade series I mean other than Logan and backpipes -ha! sorry I couldn't help it- anyway this series opened a whole other door for me: I never new how much fascinated by stars and myths I am until I read this. I've always been a scientific kind of girl, but while reading this I don't know I guess it brought up my geeky side more? :P
Furthermore other than the constellations and all,
Music 3 13 Jul 30, 2012 07:04AM
Jeri Smith-Ready ...: Shine Discussion......what do you THINK will happen in Shine? (or want to happen) 8 51 May 06, 2012 08:13AM

• Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Dreaming Awake (Falling Under, #2)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Taken by Storm (Raised by Wolves, #3)
  • Betrayal (Haunting Emma, #2)
  • Body & Soul (The Ghost and the Goth, #3)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • A Touch Morbid (The Sider Series Book 2)
  • Unraveling Isobel
  • The Blood Keeper (The Blood Journals, #2)
Jeri Smith-Ready has been writing fiction since the night she had her first double espresso. A steady stream of caffeine has produced twelve published novels for teens and adults since 2001.

Jeri lives in Maryland with her husband and two cats, who often play tag-team "sit in the author's lap and keep her from writing." (The cats, that is, not the husband. Though, actually...)

Shade (3 books)
  • Shade (Shade, #1)
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
“I don't need to see you to know that you're beautiful.” 49 likes
“His soul's fabric was weaving itself with mine. I loved the frayed ends where it came unraveled, and I loved the strength at its firm, solid center.

I loved every thread.”