Start by marking “Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children” as Want to Read:
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children

Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children is the fruit of decades of development and innovation in the Plum Village community's collective practice with children. Based on Thich Nhat Hanh's thirty years of teaching mindfulness and compassion to parents, teachers, and children, the book and enclosed CD covers a wide range of contemplative and fun activities paren ...more
Published June 1st 2011 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Planting Seeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting Seeds

Erica
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
(5) Practical applications aside, this is an easy read and even easier to incorporate into daily life. Highly recommend for anyone who is struggling to gain an understanding of mindfulness and anyone who works with children and teens. I will definitely buy a copy for my personal collection!
Shannon
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of good mindfulness exercises to do with wiggly kids; visualizations; explanations were helpful for talking with kids too
Molly Westerman
I'm not a Buddhist, but I do find meditation and mindfulness practices really helpful, and I particularly got a lot out of Thich Nhat Hanh's book The Blooming of a Lotus waaaay back when I was an undergrad. I remember the simplicity of the practices, and the way they helped me ground myself during some angsty periods of my life. So when I saw Planting Seeds, I hoped it would help me figure out ways to start passing these tools along to my two young children.

There's a lot to like here, and a lot
Sara
Jun 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a great book written like a lesson plan for a group of kids (little ones to teenage). I plan on starting one where we coul get together once a week and go through the book. It deserves 5+ stars! I checked this out from the library, but I am planning on buying my own copy. There is an option to get this for a kindle, but then you don't get the CD, which not only is great with the book but could be used as a background music for a kids yoga class. This book is wonderful and I hope man ...more
Megan
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found the exercises to be really great. I saved them to use with my girls. This has more information for classrooms than individual families, and more for little kids than bigger ones. It also has more of a Buddhist focus than I use with mindfulness, but it's thoughtful and helpful.
Mandy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love all things Thich Nhat Hanh. That being said, this is a lovely tool for raising mindful, present children. I enjoyed reading through this slowly, taking time to absorb the material. It's a book I wouldn't mind having on my shelf as a reference.
Amber
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great guide with lots of practical activities. A real pleasure to read.
Matt
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Handy book for practices involving children and staying present --
Amy Makortoff
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this book.
Halden
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Some great exercises for working with children.
Michaela
I love how this book is like a little lesson plan for mindfulness. It shows us how we can instill mindful thoughts and self reflection into children.
Bllu Catalano
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children by Thich Nhat Hanh is essential reading for those who work with children or who wish to help their own children learn meditative practices.

This is for all spiritual backgrounds and traditions. Don’t get hung up on this being Buddhist. These practices are not specific to any religion. They are a system. Every human, however young, has the power to develop their spiritual self, the teachings say. Some commune with god or God, some with nature.
Megan
I will edit this review when I have finished the book.

But, I absolutely relate to the idea of firstly taking care of myself, then my children/family and then my community.

This book answers my need on how to model mindfulness to my children, while learning the tools of taking care of myself.Ad nourishing and sustaining my relationships.

I enjoy the CD. The music is very calming for me, and the guided meditation is helpful.

I have been looking at how to combine Buddhism with family life. I am a pare
Carly
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book. I think all parents and educators should read it. If not to follow it's lessons precisely, at least to get a feel for the idea of increasing mindfulness in our children and our teaching. Do not let the idea that it is based in Buddhism fool you into thinking that any other religious person could not benefit from it. I have found that most Buddhist teachings I have read firmly believe that no one should convert to Buddhism, but they feel that some of their practices cou ...more
Alexis
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think it speaks to the state of my mindfulness practice that I skimmed the rest of this book before returning it to the library. I don't think that skimming a mindfulness book is really what it's all about, but it was a good read. I incorporate a lot of mindfulness into my therapy practice with anxious, depressed, and inattentive kids. I'm also doing it myself and am really appreciating any attempts that I make in that direction. It's the gift that immediately gives and keeps on giving. I'm al ...more
Sps
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 200s
Most of the practices and ideas in here were familiar to me from Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices, but they are all tailored for adults who want to bring mindfulness practice into children's lives. Some of it feels like dopey New Age blather, e.g. most of the songs on the included CD. But the practices are real, and the questions and answers with Buddhist teachers are illuminating. I bet a child raised with lots of mindfulness practice would have a wonderful, unshakeable source of stre ...more
Kathryn
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, spirituality
First sentence: Mindfulness helps us recognize what is going on in the present moment.

Favorite quote: You cannot transmit wisdom and insight to another person. The seed is already there. A good teacher touches the seed, allowing it to wake up, to sprout, and to grow.

I did not read every word, or every page of this book. I certainly would have when I was a young parent. There is a calmness that came over me while reading this book and I learned a great deal about practicing mindfulness. I will no
Elyse
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked the tools shared in this book for helping children visualize mindfulness. All the tips I've tried have been successful - my children (ages 2 and 4) seemed to get a kick out of mindfulness activities, and my 4 year old has definitely caught on to the idea of mindfulness thanks to this book. That said, I think I'd recommend this more as a reference to have on hand when wanting mindfulness activities for kids vs as a good read. Other than the children's mindfulness activities, I thou ...more
Marcy
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a unique and wonderful book that anyone involved with children--whether as parents or teachers--should read. It's both practical and imaginative. There are wonderful activities that range from artistic to thoughtful to meditative. The activities centering around food are quite terrific in the way they help to inculcate an awareness about food, health, and agriculture. There are great ideas for helping teach kids to concentrate, to be considerate, all sorts of important lessons that they ...more
Dixie
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book should be in every teacher and school administrators bookcase. There are so many pressures on teachers due to testing requirements that the psychological health of our children is often disregarded. The thing we are forgetting is that psychological well being is directly linked to performance and you cannot have one without the other. This book offers really simple solutions for incorporating both into our children's lives.
Tory
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was really excited to find this book, but was disappointed. I heartily agree that children are capable of practicing mindfulness and the benefits to such a practice are huge. I gave this book a low rating because it is poorly organized. It lacked a much needed "how to use this book" chapter, as well as an explanation of to use the CD that was included.
Apr 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really great book about helping children live mindfully. I have already started implementing some of the ideas with my kids, such as breathing when they hear the bell, and while a few of the activities were a tad hokey for me, I think this is a great resource for helping parents raise thoughtful, compassionate kids.
Alison Steiner
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd have loved to see the content organised in a more logical, user-friendly way. Bits of it tended to be 'waffley' and repetitive. Some good, simple activities however I would have preferred for this book to have been co-written with a classroom educator as not all of the concepts, as presented here, translate well into a contempory, secular classroom.
Miriam Grinshtein Eber
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The methods are simple and easily accessible. I really like the attached cd so many wonderful songs that work well to communicate mindfulness both to children and adults in a fun and light way. My favorite song from the collection is on this plate are many hands. For those that are instrumentalists the book includes chords for all the songs too.
Molly
Jul 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an awesome collection of anecdotes, ideas, meditations, and activities to introduce children to the practice of mindfulness!!! We have integrated the food contemplations to our dinners every night, made a mindfulness corner for the girls, among other things. It really helped Buddhism become a family practice. Loved it. Will come back to it again and again.
Michelle Karow
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a mother, behaviour and yoga therapist, I got this book to share with children in my yoga classes, mindfulness will help create peace in all. My 10 year old son appreciates the poems and asks to read them daily.
Ampersand Inc.
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: morgen-s-reads
I really enjoyed this book. It has easy and interesting things to keep in mind while talking to kids, and exercises to do with young kids of different ages to help them quiet their mind and live in the moment.
Stephanie
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is beautiful book has so much encouragement for incorporating mindfulness into the home or classroom, for young children to teenagers to adults, and it is easy to work into any spiritual or religious (or not) setting. The accompanying CD is a lovely bonus.
Tara
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mindful
A must have for anyone ages 3-100! The book is put together in an inviting format and is a great resource for parents and teachers, as well as for anyone practicing mindfulness and teaching mindfulness ... There are so many unique and wonderful ideas in this book!
Thais
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It is a good resource. I just wish it was better organized in terms of content, with a little bit less of the same.

• The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Anh's Anger
  • Little Flower Yoga for Kids: A Yoga and Mindfulness Program to Help Your Child Improve Attention and Emotional Balance
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Buddha at Bedtime: Tales of Love and Wisdom for You to Read with Your Child to Enchant, Enlighten and Inspire
  • Moody Cow Meditates
  • Waking Up to What You Do: A Zen Practice for Meeting Every Situation with Intelligence and Compassion
  • My Mother Wears Combat Boots: A Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • Angry Octopus: A Relaxation Story
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
  • The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • Being Upright: Zen Meditation and the Bodhisattva Precepts
“Smiling is a kind of mouth yoga. When we smile, it releases the tension in our face. Others notice it, even strangers, and are likely to smile back. By smiling, we initiate a wonderful chain reaction, touching the joy in anyone we encounter. A smile is an ambassador of goodwill.” 1 likes