Start by marking “9 Summers 10 Autumns” as Want to Read:
9 Summers 10 Autumns

9 Summers 10 Autumns

Di kaki Gunung Panderman, di rumah berukuran 6 x 7 meter, seorang anak laki-laki bermimpi. Kelak, ia akan membangun kamar di rumah mungilnya. Hidup bertujuh dengan segala sesuatu yang terbatas, membuat ia bahkan tak memiliki kamar sendiri. Bapaknya, sopir angkot yang tak bisa mengingat tanggal lahirnya. Sementara ibunya, tidak tamat Sekolah Dasar. Ia tumbuh besar bersama e ...more
Published February 22nd 2011 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 9 Summers 10 Autumns, please sign up.

Start your review of 9 Summers 10 Autumns
Iwan Setyawan
Feb 22, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Can't rate my own book:)
Nicko Arya Dharma
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actually I already finished read this book a couple weeks ago. And suddenly, I wanted to write a review about this book now. The reason I wanted to read 9 Summers 10 Autumns so much was so simple. The reason is the book was placed on a bookshelf with tag “national best seller”. Finally, until someone special gave me the novel as my earlier birthday gift. It was make me more excited to read this book.
9 Summers 10 autumns. Judging from its title, maybe we will think “It should be the plot of this
Mark
Sep 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
First of all, I want to apologize for comparing this book with David Sedaris' works. No, this is NOT a compliment. With David's stories, you know they're facts that are intentionally blended with fictions. So you can only find them being displayed on Literature section at any bookstores. You accepted David's stories, even though they're based on his own experiences, as fiction(-alized).

Now Iwan Setyawan's book, well, I don't know. I also have no idea why it won certain award as best fiction. Bu
Inunk
Feb 21, 2013 added it
great! tears of celebration
Alfi Khoirina
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
i want to read the novel
Suffah Feey
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Good
Andrea Salma
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Light yet inspiring...
mutiara
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is filled with stories of hard work and persistence, fueled by warmth and strength of a family of 7. It is inspiring indeed to read about the struggle of a boy brought up in Batu, Malang in reaching his dream in education. When finally he got his way to attend university and graduate, all the efforts that his family made were paid off. He was hired by a good company in Jakarta, moved once, but then recruited again by his first office, which is a US-based company, to work in New York. W ...more
Tika Sukarna
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a story of growing up and making peace with your past, it's childhood memories that becomes the constant in face of inevitable change, it's about staring fear in the face against all odds, it is about hope and unravelling simple beauty with a few simple lines, a rarity in Indonesian prose. This book is best read in the quiet night while rain is pattering down the roof, or early morning while the sun have yet to peek out of your blanket. Inspiring but something is still missing? Yet as this ...more
Ardita Çaesari
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a story of a man, coming from a poor family in Indonesia and came out as a "winner" in New York. I would say his break and what fueled his success were not only his brilliant mind, but also his family. Iwan Setyawan is very lucky to be born into one closely-knitted family, whose main function is safety net. It has kept him safe and sound throughout his life and taken him to where wanted to be. It's a rarity in Indonesia's social reality.

This writer has a heart. A big one, that is somewha
Maya Notodisurjo
May 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Intrigued by the impressive movie trailer (or Alex Komang's acting to be precise), I finally bought and read this book. My comment? To be honest I think this book is overrated.

Iwan Setyawan indeed has a rock solid story. The kind of story that will touch the readers' heart, and engulf them into the psychological dynamic of the characters. This is the kind of story Andrea Hirata's "Laskar Pelangi" has. Alas, Iwan narrated this book as if he were writing a textbook for statistic. Throughout the b
Zaza
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
I got this book when I won a quiz held by Gramedia a few months ago. But I already wanted to buy and read this book everytime I went to a bookshop. So that time, besides I won the book, I was also invited to the book launching event.
So, before I read the novel, I somewhat already knew what's the book about, straight from the author.

this book is really inspiring. it encourages us to dream, even a small dream. It's the effort that counts, not the dream, that's what mas Iwan told us during the even
Randy
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
The story is inspirational indeed. I'm not going to protest the content in which it is quite good. But there is one part of Iwan's writing style I found it kinda disturbing me. It is the imaginary little boy whom he told his whole stories to. I know he wanted to make the story different from others'. But in the book, the way he talked to the boy was always the same and kinda monotonous: that he didn't want the boy to go too soon, and while they waited for something (e.g. food in the cafe, singer ...more
Agus Jakarta
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
A good novel that shows about how important the role of our family, education and a focus mind can get us to achieve our dreams.
I also liked how Iwan used to remembered his past memory to reconsiliate with himself and not becoming weak and be a person who clings to his past but to become strong and become a person who always gratefull especially to his parent, sisters and all the people who had helped him till he become a person like now.
A really recommended novel to read !
Dinendra Karani
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
I saw this book lying around, desperately clinging for attention. So I grab it, give it another chance and open a random page. Chance took me to Chapter 11.

And this poem captivate my attention:

Sepi.
Tambah ini menanti jadi mencekik
Memberat-mencekung punda
Sampai binasa segala. Belum apa-apa
Udara bertuba. Setan bertempik.
Ini sepi terus ada. Dan menanti.

Sold! I am going to re-read this book!

But as soon as I finished page 6, it's over.

Crap...
Noor Titan
I heard this book was a best-seller in Indonesia, and shipping the Indonesian version to the States was quite expensive. So, I was really happy to find this book on Amazon, although it was in English.

I set my expectation really high, and was a little bit disappointed by the translation. The translation was good, but there is a lack of depth in the words compared to Indonesian version.

If your native language is Indonesian, I would recommend you to go with the Indonesian one.
Zuhria Husna
Dec 30, 2012 rated it liked it
It's sort of an inspiring book for a dream catcher like me. I have a dream to conquer NYC someday by achieving shcolarship in USA. By reading this book, I get self-motivated that every single dream can be achieved if we have passion on it. Limitations we have in life are the mood booster for all us to be better and better human being.
Linna Amanda
Feb 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hmm sorry, but i think that you should start to learn how to write, your lines are just to choppy and vulgar so it doesn't give any feelings and atmosphere to the reader. It's just like a friend told me her fake experience, the story just seems emotionless and the words that you chose are just to vulgar.
Fadly Uzzaki
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of inspiring books that i read in the early of this year. I feel the warm and the struggling that the authors tell us in the book.
Thanks for the authors to remind me to be strong while I am away from my family and thanks to remind how grateful live that god has granted for us.
Pampie
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like a flash back to my own journey at some parts, Iwan taking my emotion, with his imaginary friend, ups and down while contemplating my own past, current and future life.

Can't stop reading it to the last period.
Linda
Jun 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
it is an amazing book, amazing how he tells the story. the melancholy yet artsy. the way the author tried to understanding his life. at the end the very good thing is when the author following his own life and destiny. he makes me think about Dostoevsky's as well. seeing life as an artwork.
Henings
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it
i love the ending!

we can't choose our fate (things that already happened). but even the worst thing could be the best reason to boost ourselves to work harder, toward a better future. that's how we can change fate.
Septiara
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great story! when family have their power, when a man have his passion, full of eagerness. strongly described what life for and how you-as a human do your best thing in your life, ready to catch your dream and you were a person who was fullied by a million of parent love, God plans, and faith.
Franky
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
....most of all it is a story of dreams come true, sharply focused by a person who knows what he wants. Certainly very relevant in today's world which needs the dose of positive energy that Mr Iwan Setyawan delivers. --Wimar Witoelar
Ira  Marby
Jun 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A kinda soft book with a strong tittle. Make us so "want-to-know" what is the story inside.
This book teach us how to keep fighting and survive whatever what in condition we are and wherever our feet are standing.
Happy reading.. :)
Ruth Malau
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well written story about a man and the reflection of himself in his younger years. Love to see how he finally decide to go back to Indonesia after spending 9 Summers and 10 Autumns in America. This is a story of dreams come true!
Crypto Code CG
May 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
a wonderful true story about life, passion, hope and dreams, and the most important: family.
Monasisca

• Tentang Kamu
  • Antologi Rasa
  • Bumi Manusia
  • 5 cm
  • Wizard's Curse (Dragonlance: The New Adventures: Trinistyr, #1)
  • Daily Dose of Shine
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth
  • Total Habibie
  • Growing Up Asian in Australia
  • Ties That Bind, Ties That Break
Penulis lahir di Batu 2 Desember 1974. Lulusan terbaik fakultas MIPA IPB 1997 dari Jurusan Statistika ini bekerja selama tiga tahun di Jakarta sebagai data analis di Nielsen dan Danareksa Research Institute. Ia selanjutnya merambah karir di New York City selama 10 tahun. Pencinta yoga, sastra. dan seni teater ini meninggalkan NYC Juni 2010 dengan posisi terakhir sebagai Director, Internal Client M ...more

News & Interviews

“Menulis kembali kenangan masa lalu butuh sebuah keberanian.” 58 likes
“Impian harus menyala dengan apa pun yang kita miliki,
meskipun yang kita miliki tidak sempurna, meskipun itu retak-retak”
54 likes