Start by marking “Quietus” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  384 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Moments before the crash of her chartered flight, Kylie O'Rourke sees a raven perched on the plane's wing, as still as death, staring at her. Regaining consciousness in a Boston hospital, Kylie finds herself haunted by unnerving memories of the crash, of the survivors, and the rescuers--and when her fellow survivors start dying one-by-one, she knows she's living on borrowe ...more
Published September 6th 2005 by Onyx (first published January 22nd 2002)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Feb 27, 2018
    From acclaimed author Vivian Schilling comes a psychological thriller that raises provocative questions about fate, mortality and what lies beyond. Of ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 35 copies available, 1250 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 03 - Feb 26, 2018

Countries available: US

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Quietus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quietus

Kayzee Jusayan
    Jan 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
    Did not like this book at all. I think it started out with a good idea and turned into a cheesy almost-romance novel. Plus it was just too long. It took forever to get to the ending.
    Cheryl
    Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I truly enjoyed the experience I had reading this book. From the beginning to the end I was transported into the story. My attention was there every step of the way. Kylie became more and more intriguing as the story progressed. As did the mysterious man that was haunting Kylie in her life. Who was he? What was his connection to Kylie? Was he good or a sign of death?

I read a comment by another reader who mentioned Final Destination movies. Yeah, I kind of saw a bit of a reference to the movies b
    Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
    This book was really interesting and actually reminded me a lot of the movie Final Destination. After Kylie and her husband Jack, along with some of her close friends are involved in a plane crash that almost kills them, Kylie wakes up very confused in the hospital with memories from the crash. Although Kylie has survived the crash, she can't seem to shake the feeling that something isn't quite right and she has some strange memories from her time in the mountains. She shares these feelings and ...more
    Zeek
    Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fiction, horror
    Scarey book- with a sad note.

As this was a suggestion by a beloved friend of mine, I was anxious to read it, and it wasn't disappointing. This read lent to the mystical/horror realm, although not obnoxiously so. (Not a huge horror fan here!)

Quietus is a sad story of one woman (Kylie O'Rourke) trying to come to grips with the fact that she's seeing ghosts and magical beings that others are not. After surviving a plain crash in which all died except she, her husband, her best friend, her best frie
    Kirsten
    Feb 22, 2008 rated it liked it
    Shelves: read-pre-12-07, own
    You know that movie, what's it called? "Final Destination?" Where the kids avoid death in a plane crash, but are then "stalked" by death because they were supposed to have died? This is book is kind of like that, except smarter.

After Kylie O'Rourke, her husband Jack, and her best friends narrowly escape death in a plane crash, Kylie can't shake the feeling that something weird is going on. Her psychiatrist tells her that the strange experiences she recalls having prior to their rescue from the w
    Hannah S.
    May 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
    The premise of this book was interesting, but I had to force myself through it. It's over 600 pages and could have been written in less than half of that. All the action happens in the beginning and the entire rest of the book is the main character and her friend being scared of dying while everyone else thinks they are crazy. There are completely unnecessary side stories that barely add anything to the plot or even the character development and the writing is horrible. The same descriptions wer ...more
    Laura Buechler
    Aug 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: unfinished
    Very intriguing story, but cripes, this woman can't write for shit. And her editor sucks too. I've spotted so many grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors ... this is the kind of thing that really detracts from the reading experience for me. It's also the reason (well, one of them) that I want to become an editor. A few examples of problems I've noted:
    'She didn't want to wear a straightjacket.'
    'The room was heavily gaurded.'
    And my favourite (look closely...)
    ' "Wait for me" she shouted.'

ICK.
    Jyv
    Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: fiction
    This book was annoying. It was way too wordy - several hundred pages in small font and much of it totally unnecessary mush. It was full of stereotypical characters, was predictable and ultimately unsatisfying.
    Lara
    Nov 12, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    This book had an interesting premise, but at 600 pages it was too long and tried to do too much. At the end, it didn't feel like the pieces all fit together quite right.
    Janet
    Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
    Where is the cell phone and what happened to Amelia's husband. Guess he didnt care enough to come to her funeral and just left the book? Serious writing flaws.
    Nancy Oakes
    Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a great story!!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend this book for people who really enjoy creepy stories...this one will haunt you totally.

Kylie and Jack, two of their friends are part of a group on a charter plane leaving a peaceful ski vacation. The pilot takes off in a storm and the plane crashes. The wreckage is found by a local and the four friends and one of the other occupants are pulled out and rescued in the nick of time.

In the hospital, Kylie is the worst off of all of them, and remembers
    Gina
    Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
    This book was nowhere near as scary or compelling as the blurbs on the back claim. At least the beginning was exciting. The plot immediately throws you into a brutal plane crash, which our protagonist and her friends barely survive. Things get even more tense when she begins to suspect that they weren't supposed to make it after all, and maybe something is trying to correct that mistake. Yes, it's the rehashed "Death will get you no matter what" plotline evident in half a dozen Final Destination ...more
    Nancy
    I loved the paranormal aspect of this book, and how fate and destiny were a very big theme. It was creepy, too, and I actually had disturbing dreams and nightmares every night after reading it, so although I enjoyed it, I am glad it's finished! I did feel that the part involving Amelia and Kylie was a little too long, and I almost lost interest when it began to feel like a suspenseful romance novel .

The ending was unexpected, which is always a plus for me. All in all, I'm glad I finally read it
    KimberlyDawn
    Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites, paranormal
    I didn't realize how good of a read it was until I tried reading other books. Nothing has really compared to the psychological intensity and sanity questioning that Schilling portrays in this novel. I had a hard time putting it down and then - due to it's length - made it my mission to finish it. Schilling could have ended the book a couple of different times but decided to move on. At first I became frustrated because it didn't end then she had me flipping through pages with an intense desire t ...more
    Redrosevertigo0
    Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: own
    This felt like two or three books smashed into one long wordy one. Parts were interesting but more parts long winded and repetitive. And I don't care how lonely you are and how hot the ghost is; you wouldn't knowingly sleep with a dead man.
    Jessebree
    Jul 15, 2010 rated it did not like it
    Lovely Loveday
    Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A creepy thrilling novel that is sure to haunt you long after you read the last page of Vivian Schilling’s Quietus. When Kylie and Jack plan to go on a peaceful ski vacation with their friends, the last thing they thought would ever happen did!

The pilot decides to take off in the middle of a nightmarish storm and the plane crashes only to be found by a good samaritan that manages to rescue them just in time. When flashbacks and memories do not add up sounding more strange than real. A doctor de
    Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
    This is a long but quick, paranormal read centered around the interconnectedness of all things.

Kylie and her husband Jack's small chartered plane crashes in a snowstorm in New Hampshire. With them are Kylie's friend Amelia and her husband Dix and a couple Boston attorneys. Amazingly, recovering from this crash is the least of Kylie's problems.

It's by this plane crash that some supernatural door is opened and through it walks a man from Kylie's repressed childhood past. When she was young Kylie
    Ana T.
    Nov 03, 2009 rated it liked it
    I am a bit at odds with most of the reviews I read of this book. While I enjoyed the story I thought it lacked the creepiness to keep me up at night and the fast pace to make it a successful thriller.

Kylie, her husband Jack and friends Amelia and Dix are all involved in a plane crash. They survive with some injuries but none of them has any special recollection of the event except for Kylie - who remembers waking up in the snow with the others, arriving at a cabin and meeting some supernatural p
    Mimi
    Mar 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    My rating of this book is slightly deceptive. The story itself I give 2 stars, but I added an extra star for quality writing, page-turning suspense and interesting historical information. It's just that the story made me think more about death than I really wanted to!

I guess I should have known from the very beginning by the title -- Quietus is defined as "1. a finishing stroke; 2. discharge or release from life; 3. the moment of death". It says so right on the front flap! ...And she really mean
    Virginie
    I truly have a problem here, I don't know how to rate this book...I cannot say that I did not like it, I really did enjoy reading it but it was so dark, so gloomy , so heavy an atmosphere, actually it made me very uneasy at times.......It had a very , very strong impact on my mood.My husband told me I was much agitated at night ,kicking in bed , moaning, evidently having nightmares !!!!!

The aircraft crash scene at the beginning terrified me,I mean absolutely terrified me , probably because of my
    Chrissy
    Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
    Kylie and her husband, along with another couple catch a ride on a small chartered flight with a group of lawyers. When the plane heads into a storm and crashes in the mountains, life takes a bizarre twist for the occupants. Memories of a raven sitting on the wing of the plane as it crashed, a long trek through the forest to a cabin and coming upon her own body in the twisted wreck haunt Kylie as she comes to grips with her experience. When a handsome stranger who is vaguely familiar shows up, t ...more
    Anita
    Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
    Shelves: paranormal, suspense, nde
    Wow, what a strange book. I give it stars for the effort towards originality, and I can appreciate its darkness; however, I take away stars for the long-windedness of the descriptions, the emotions, and a whole lot of repetitive detail. It's kind of like "Final Destination" -- some passengers on a plane that crashed are really supposed to be dead, but then get rescued -- but the horror of it all gets muted in excessive rumination. There are some really bizarre sub-plots too, and those don't alwa ...more
    Louvaine
    Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it
    Well this was a weird one-and not like what I usually read at all. Unsettling tale of angels taking those who have survived death (Final Destination, anyone?). Curious to see how it ended, relieved when it did. The thing that sticks with me is the description of the angel sculptures she acquires. I imagine they have the same presence as the sculpture shown in the train station in Witness (only a little more chilling).
    Clariesse Jami
    Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it
    Bought this when I was in HS. Read it again now. It was kind of "Final Destination-ish" (I'm not sure which one came first). It had a mix of supernatural and religious themes. There were also a lot of side stories which made the book all the more interesting (and long). Although dark and somewhat depressing at some instances, it was still a good read.

Unexpected twist at the end but the epilogue was still a tad disappointing.
    Tipsy Pixy
    Aug 01, 2009 rated it liked it
    I really loved this book, I really did...at least until I read the ending....the last two chapters are horrible. The book goes from being chilling and well thought out to super happy, to the point that it is sickening. I hated the ending and wish she would have not written it. So, my suggestion is: read it, enjoy it, but leave out the last couple of chapters and make up your own.
    Christine
    May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    I have a love/hate relationship with this book. It had me all over the place emotionally! One minute it's a weird, almost Stephen King-like feel, then it was a romance drama, then it went all final destination on me. If a book really rocks you to the core than it means something. This book did that for me!
    Brian
    Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A good story overall, but this book needed a better editor. Not only was it frequently repetitive and the plot needlessly circular, but the author's inability to properly use commas and other common writing devices was distracting.
    Randy
    Aug 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
    This book was very interesting. It was a tad too long, but I liked that it kept you involved. I would classify it as a drama meets horror. People who like the idea of the final destination movies would be interested in this book.
    Lisa Greer
    Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: thriller lovers
    I wish Schilling would write some more. :) This novel was gripping. I finished it in a day and a half. It's horror and mystery. A woman almost dies but the novel doesn't end there. Can she really cheat death, or will it come for her again soon?
    • The Return of the Earl (Botany Bay, #1)
    • Softspoken
    • The Last Boy
    • Discipline
    • The Intimate Enemy: Loss and Recovery of Self Under Colonialism
    • Park City: New and Selected Stories
    • Information Anxiety 2 (Hayden/Que)
    • From Modernism to Postmodernism: An Anthology
    • Ghosts/Aliens
    • A Candle in Her Room
    • Plenty Enough Suck to Go Around
    • At the Mountains of Madness, and Other Novels
    • All the Beautiful Sinners
    Vivian Schilling is the award-winning author of the novels Quietus and Sacred Prey, as well as a screenwriter, producer and director of independent films. She recently completed work as co-writer and producer of the documentary "Bonobos: Back to the Wild" and is currently at work on her third novel. She divides her time between Los Angeles and the Ozark Mountains where she often retreats to her ca ...more
    More about Vivian Schilling...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
    • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
      $7.99 $1.99
    • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
    • The Whiskey Rebels
      $12.99 $1.99
    • The Honest Spy
      $4.99 $1.99
    • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
      $5.99 $1.99
    • We Are All Made of Stars
    • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
    • Mercer Girls
      $4.99 $1.99
    • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
      $5.49 $1.99
    • Very Valentine
      $10.99 $2.99
    • The Cellar
      $3.99 $0.99
    • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
    • Ireland