Start by marking “The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles, #1)

The Outcasts (Brotherband Chronicles #1)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  18,569 Ratings  ·  1,091 Reviews
From the author of the global phenomenon Ranger's Apprentice!

They are outcasts. Hal, Stig, and the others - they are the boys the others want no part of. Skandians, as any reader of Ranger's Apprentice could tell you, are known for their size and strength. Not these boys. Yet that doesn't mean they don't have skills. And courage - which they will need every ounce of to do
Published November 1st 2011 by Philomel Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Outcasts, please sign up.

Dawn It's based off of the medieval world, I'd say around the 1400s (give or take - it's very loose about time periods and the key phrase is 'based off…moreIt's based off of the medieval world, I'd say around the 1400s (give or take - it's very loose about time periods and the key phrase is 'based off of').(less)

Cait (Paper Fury)
John Flanagan's Rangers Apprentice series: The Ruins of Gorlan was my FAVOURITE childhood series! I even reread the books now and love them to pieces. Naturally I thought I'd enjoy Brotherband. But HECK was I wrong.

But the reasons I liked John Flanagan's books are:
- humour
- medieval action adventure
- unlikely heroes
- awesome female heroines
- awesome and varied world building

I expected these things (normal, nice and awesome things) to carry onto the new series. They did not. In fact, Brotherban
Jonathan
As a fan of John Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series I was not sure what to expect with the first in his The Outcasts series. However I soon settled into this novel and came to appreciate and enjoy what he had written. Of course while his work is aimed predominantly at older children and younger teens it can be enjoyed by various age levels in my opinion.

There was a reasonable amount of various nautical terms floated around but nothing too technical. Flanagan does do an excellent job of helpi
Kit
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
HERE BE SPOILERS

Why, oh why, John Flanagan, must you create another wonderful book series and leave us on tenterhooks in a cliffhanger ending?

Ugh, I loved this book. It was very reminiscent of Ranger's Apprentice in the brotherly comradeship, and of course, some of the characters like Erak are recycled. Hal is very much like Will. Both are outcasts and have different talents than most people, but they find their place and turn out to have much talent. This is both good and bad, as I loved Will a
Kyle
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

I really enjoyed the Ranger’s Apprentice series and when I noticed that Flanagan had written a spin off series based on the Skandians I thought that I might give it a read. I have been so disappointed in spin offs before that I wasn’t expecting much.

I just finished The Outcasts, which is the first book of the Brotherband Chronicles, and I have to admit I was really pleased. The story revolves around a group of outcast teen boys and how they cope and compete in the Skandian society. If you’ve eve

Nannah
I'm sorry to say I didn't enjoy this book.

This is a young adult book, I understand, but I couldn't help but feel insulted by the writing. It was all function and nothing else, and worse than that it had so many repetitions and explanations of gestures that it made me think John Flanagan thought his readers would be idiots who didn't understand that when a character nodded it meant they agreed with something. Everything is told, nothing shown. I was TOLD that someone was angry or confused or happ
Clare Cannon
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 9-14 years (boys)
Shelves: 08-12yrs, 13-15yrs

Another brilliant adventure from the author of the Ranger's Apprentice series, for boys 9-14 (and anyone else who loves historical action-adventure... I thought it was great!). The scene setting in the initial chapters may be the only challenge for reluctant readers, but from chapter five the action begins when the boys are divided into brotherbands who must compete for the ultimate championship. Each challenge is bigger than the last, and among the unevenly matched teams we desperately hold ou
Katrina Ly
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP!

THIS BOOK WAS SO AWESOME!

i cannot believe he ended like that!!!!

no john flanagan! u must not do this to us!!!!!!!!!

nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how long must i wait for the next?! how long?! how long must i suffer?!

ok so anyway, i am calm now.

so to any who was just thinking about reading this book, let me give you a basic run-down of what to expect. the book opens to a scene where erak and his crew r raiding some village. it is ridiculously easy, which makes i
Tyrean
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Hal, an outcast mentored by an outcast, befriend by outcasts, is a well-written character in the midst of a somehwat expected plot. Yet, for all the familiarity of the plot, and even some of the characters, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Flanagan has a way of taking some familiar characters and giving them a new look and a new way of dealing with tough situations.

At first, it seems that Hal is up against his entire society, but we find that he has unexpected allies, and his wits serve him well
Allison
Aug 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Haley
Have I reviewed the Ranger’s Apprentice series? No?! Wait! What? Seriously! I can’t believe that I haven’t reviewed Ranger’s Apprentice. I really really need to review that series. It is like the best series ever! But, I am not reviewing that series right now. I am reviewing the first book in the Brotherband Chronicles, The Outcasts.

I really enjoyed this book. It was super good and intriguing. Hal was a great main character, but do you know who I liked even more? Ladies and gentlemen, please we
Kathy Davie
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First in the Brotherband Chronicles children's adventure-fantasy series revolving around eight young men of Hallasholm who are anxious to prove themselves to their peers and countrymen. This story is set several years after the events in The Battle for Skandia , 4, in the Ranger's Apprentice series.

In 2012, The Outcasts was nominated for the The Inky Awards for Gold Inky.

My Take
The prologue is half-finished which made a reveal later in the story a bit confusing. I'm not really sure why Flanagan
Bregje (B a Reader)
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This review was also posted at Books are stories.

The Ranger's Apprentice series is one of my favorite middle grade series. Although I loved that series I was a bit hesitant to start the Brotherband Chronicles, because this series would not have rangers as main characters and because of that I didn't think I would like this series as much. I did indeed enjoy the first Ranger's Apprentice book more than I enjoyed this first book, but it was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. Like the main ch
Tim Roast
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think Vikings on boot camp then that's pretty much what this book is.

The book begins with a guide to sailing terms with definitions to terms such as starboard and yardarm. Well, personally I would have put this at the end. Anyone picking this up and reading from the beginning might plough through this technical bit before giving up because it is a little bit of a chore, or was for me at least, and that would be a real shame.

After that false start the book follows 16-year-old Hal, a thinke
Brandon Slade
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sammy
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medieval
I was hoping John Flanagan would never end The Ranger's Apprentice and was sad when he did, but then I saw this book was coming out and I immediately thought, "I have to read that." I am somewhat learned when it comes to sailing which made this book all the more enjoyable, with the sailor-term dictionary at the front of the book helping me along the way.
I love the way Hal is portrayed, he reminds me of Will. I think these new characters will definetly take some more getting used to, after all, i
Lou Anders
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids and Adults
John Flanagan's The Outcasts is a wonderful book. It's great for boys age around 10-13, but I enjoyed it very much as an adult reader and plan to continue with the series. I'd previously read the first Ranger's Apprentice novel, and enjoyed that very much, but skipped ahead to The Outcasts rather than stay with that series. I will go back and read the other Ranger's Apprentice at some point too, I'm sure. These are great adventure stories in a fun (so far) low magic fantasy world. Recommended.
Eimear
Oct 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, have
I received this book as part of GoodReads First Reads

This book was so slow to start. I think it took me a year to get anywhere interesting in the storyline because I kept putting it down out of boredom. Once the story gets moving though it's really good and it's much easier to read. The characters are interesting and are easy to stick with.
Although the story ended up being very good the slow start really ruined my view of the book and that's why I've knocked off two stars.
Annemieke
In Skandia worden alle 15 jarige jongens ingedeeld bij een broederband. Hal leidt de broederband van de outsiders, de jongens die niemand in zijn team wil. Spannende teamopdrachten volgen.

Het boek begin met een aantal losse passages, die later netjes op hun plek vallen, maar waardoor het verhaal wel erg traag op gang komt. Het einde is echter veelbelovend: op naar deel 2!
R-kyuu
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is about "Skandians", basically it's a tribe that is almost immortal and deadly (wielding Dangerous axes!) Which makes it a very good book, it's another series by the author that wrote Ranger's apprentice! I thought this book was very adventurous and exhilarating. I hope to read more of it's series later!

Yuki
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in 2 days it was so good. It takes place in Skandia 2 years before the tenth Ranger's Apprentice book. It features Hal a half Araluen boy who is bullied because of it and is cornered into leading those who share his fate in Hallasholm. If your looking for an exciting book to read this is it.
Morgiana
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good book - for 13 years or below.
So - I didnt like it - you can imagine, why:)
But I'd really recommend it for adventurous kids.;)
Li'l Izzie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: RA fans, whoever likes ships and training montages
Recommended to Li'l Izzie by: my uncle

It was okay. The thing is, it feels like Ranger's Apprentice fanfiction. Some authors can use the same formula for every book they write and it works. But this time, I just kept thinking how similar everyone is to the RA characters. I kept thinking about when this took place in relation to RA (I found out yesterday. This is two years prior to book #10). I’ll be comparing to this to RA. Probably not the best idea since I should be judging this for what it is. But I can’t really do that.
Kaleb Lockhart
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who read the entire Ranger's Apprentice series, I enjoyed this book immensely and plan to read the others as well. It is similar to The Ranger's Apprentice in many aspects, but contains a completely different style of life, as it takes place in Skandia and not Araluen.

From the very beginning we see Hal, as he is the main character, and his mentality on life. He is sort of negative due to the fact that he stays away from the other kids and tends to keep to himself, Stig, or Thorn. At
Cthemighty
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, I thought it was very well written. I read a lot of books, and this one isn't the best I've ever read, but I really liked the plot and the characters. Bit of a cliffhanger though, but that just means I'll have to read the next book too. I would recommend this to Boys ages 10-16.
Moriah
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
So excited to be reading another series by Flanagan!!!!
Grantma
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Was a good read, but the first half of the book was slow and uneventful, but it set up for a great end and makes you want to read the next book.
Anke Sietinga
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4,5
Annesofie
dont have time at all to reread this actually rip
Denlillebogblog
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4 stars. ...more
Allison
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The Outcasts, written by John Flanagan, was published on November 1, 2011. It's in the fantasy genre. The setting is sometime in the past. The time period isn't clear but the Skandians are the book’s version of Vikings. The main characters are Hal, Stig and the rest of the brother band, along with Thorn. These boys are outcasts. Hal is half Araluen, Stig can't control his temper, all the boys have something ‘wrong, with them that sets them apart. They end up on the same brotherband team, a camp ...more
Review 1 4 Jun 25, 2017 07:17PM
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • The Truth About Verity Sparks
  • Word of Honour (The Laws of Magic, #3)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Seeds of Rebellion (Beyonders, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
  • Bamboo People
  • The Coming of the Whirlpool (Ship Kings, #1)
  • Blizzard of Glass: The Halifax Explosion of 1917
  • The Ring of Wind (Young Samurai, #7)
  • The Golden Door (The Three Doors Trilogy #1)
  • The Paradise Trap
  • Song of the Slums
  • Crow Country
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
  • Boys Without Names
  • The Starkin Crown

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It
More about John Flanagan...

Brotherband Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Invaders (Brotherband Chronicles, #2)
  • The Hunters (Brotherband Chronicles, #3)
  • Slaves of Socorro (Brotherband Chronicles, #4)
  • Scorpion Mountain (Brotherband Chronicles, #5)
  • The Ghostfaces (Brotherband Chronicles, #6)
  • The Caldera (Brotherband Chronicles, #7)
“It's a sword, not a fairy wand, you know.” 39 likes
“One thing' Erak said. 'Tell your men to keep their noses clean while they're in Hallasholm. I don't want any trouble.'
Zavac nodded and smiled. 'I understand. This is a quiet town and you don't want the peace disturbed.'
Erak smiled back, but it was like a smile on the face of a shark. 'No. This is a very violent town and if your men cause trouble, my people will break their heads a for them. I don't want to be paying any blood money for damage done to your crew. Understand?'
Zavac's smile faded. He looked for some sign that the Oberjarl was joking, but he saw none. He nodded again, slowly this time.”
30 likes