Start by marking “Writing Movies” as Want to Read:
Writing Movies

Writing Movies

To break into the screenwriting game, you need a screenplay that is not just good, but great. Superlative. Stellar. In Writing Movies you'll find everything you need to know to reach this level. And, like the very best teachers, Writing Movies is always practical, accessible, and entertaining.
The book provides a comprehensive look at screenwriting, covering all the fundam
Published September 19th 2006 by Bloomsbury USA (first published August 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Movies

Ricard
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sobre-escribir
A nivel técnico sobre creación y construcción de argumentos, es muy bueno. Quizás el libro compañero "Escribir Ficción" va más al detalle de las formas y maneras de expresar cosas, y este radica su interés en el análisis de como ir enlazando escenas y eventos, el ritmo, los personajes, etc.

Me dejo, como siempre, los últimos dos capis de corrección y mundo de la publicación, puesto que aún no he escrito nada.
Pero lo recomiendo igual de encarecidamente q "Escribir Ficción". Más, incluso, si te gus
Jefferey Spivey
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an extremely comprehensive guide about writing screenplays.
There's a great balance between the art/craft of creating a great story and understanding the formatting guidelines (which are very specific). Each chapter uses crisp direction and analysis to explain concepts in a way that's understandable and applicable. Additionally, purchasing the book gives you access to 5 classic screenplays to see these concepts in action.
I appreciate that the chapter on selling your screenplay is realisti
Jonathan
Generally speaking, this offers a lot of helpful advice. And the films focused on are high quality screenplays. However, since each chapter is by a different person, offering more variety in the screenplays covered would’ve been great. I mean not every writer necessarily agrees on the quality of another’s work. And different writers also have different inspirations into what got them into writing. Having a bit more of a dynamic focus would’ve made this a 5-star book for me.
Gonzalo
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on writing movies, a must-read for anyone who is delving into screenwrting.
Virginia Jacobs
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
This book is written by several different authors. I would have liked some information on the authors so I'd know how to value what they were saying.

The tone of the book was very literary. For example, on p. 25, in discussing Orson Welles and his dedication to the craft of storytelling, as well as his daring choices in Citizen Cane, Alexander Steele says: Orson Welles wasn't a know-it-all. He was a student, a human sponge who absorbed everything around him then let it rain down in a fresh way.
Jerjonji
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
In the past five years, I've read most of the important books about screenplay writing, but this one clicked with me. From the opening sentence, I got it. It was so helpful that I am mourning returning to it the library! Written simply, with useable exercises, it forces you to look at your work, piece by piece, as if you were actually taking the screenwriting workshop with the authors- practical, insightful, critical for anyone learning to write screenplays on their own!
Jamie
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. After reading Robert McKee's "Story" I really didn't think any other book on screenwriting could come close. This book is awesome. It is wonderful to get different perspectives, plus "Writing Movies" fills in some gaps left by my study of "Story." I didn't know about the format of a screenplay and what to do once you have written the darn thing. Well, now I do. Thanks to the Gotham Writers' Workshop, and to my friend Huy for recommending it.
Elliot Richards
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best screenwriting books I've read by a long shot, it's full of practical advice and very well put together. It's a great read too, and I enjoy dipping in and out. I like the fact that each chapter is written by someone else and they all have their own style which keeps it interesting. I borrowed a copy before buying my own, there are so many books out there that it's hard to know which ones resonate with you and which ones are complete rubbish.
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are several typos in this book, which is a pet peeve of mine, but it's a solid resource that uses five iconic and diverse films -- Die Hard (the blockbuster), Thelma & Louise (the character dramedy), Tootsie (the comedy), Sideways (the indie) and The Shawshank Redemption (the wild card) -- to illustrate how fundamental screenwriting principles can be adapted to a wide variety of stories.
Andrew
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: screenwriters
I read a few books on screen writing before I dived into it, and this one stood head and shoulders above the rest. Easy to follow, with plenty of clear examples, I not only learned from this book, I enjoyed reading it. Buy this book and a copy of Final Draft and get writing!
Andrea
Lo he usado como bibliografía para mis clases de guion de ficción. La verdad es que me gustaría haber tenido bastante más tiempo para leerlo tranquilamente y poder hacer bien los ejercicios.

Lo recomiendo no solo a guionistas sino a cualquiera que quiera escribir historias.
Eric
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
An awesome book on how to write screenplays. I used this book in/for my screenwriting class in college, it's very thorough and helpful, a definite must for anyone curious or pursuing a degree in film or screenwriting!
Raul Duarte
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: escritura
Un gran libro que nos introduce al guión cinematográfico, muy claro y con consejos útiles. Cada capitulo esta escrito por una persona diferente, por lo que hay variedad en cuestión de puntos de vista.

Recomendado para los que quieren empezar en este mundo.
Cindy Lapeña
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lots of useful information. Because each chapter is written by a different writer, you get different perspectives. Provides jargon that would otherwise stymie the newbie.
Rachel
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Persistent of Vision...
Be patient & persistent! Eventually everything you learn will blur together in your mind as a wondrous and flowing whoe reality, it will." page 28

love the reading.

Diogenes
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for script writing.
Tom
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly helpful, and pretty awesome
Jane
Jul 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great guide. Straighforward, clear, practical.
Robert Monroe
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Screenwriting: The Sequence Approach
  • The Complete Book of Scriptwriting
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style
  • The Screenwriter's Workbook
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Creating Short Fiction: The Classic Guide to Writing Short Fiction
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • Historia del cine
  • The Career Novelist: A Literary Agent Offers Strategies for Success
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • Inside Story: The Power of the Transformational Arc
  • Iterate And Optimize: Optimize Your Creative Business for Profit (The Smarter Artist Book 3)
  • Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script