Start by marking “If You Give a Dog a Donut” as Want to Read:

(If You Give...)

If you give a dog a donut, he’ll ask for some apple juice to go with it.

When you give him the juice, he’ll drink it all up.

Then, before you can say “Woof” . . . Dog is off on a backyard adventure!

The exuberant dog who first appeared in if you give a pig a party is now the star of his very own book. Written in the irresistible “If You Give…” tradition, if you give a dog a
Published October 4th 2011 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about If You Give a Dog a Donut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Give a Dog a Donut

Start your review of If You Give a Dog a Donut
Jon Nakapalau
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really nice book about a boy and his dog.
Lisa Vegan
I really like the “If You Give a…” books, and I love dogs and (vegan) donuts and alliteration. I do like the books in this series where the animal and the item start with the same letter, and so far my favorite of the books is (I think) the first one I ever read: Moose/Muffin. So, I love Dog being coupled with Donut.

I’m not sure this deserves a full 4 star rating, but I really liked it. The anthropomorphizing of the dog to the extent it was done didn’t really appeal to me. But, I love the way
Kayla Edwards
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Finally got around to reading this one. It was okay - if I had never read Numeroff's other books, I feel that I would have enjoyed it more. Unfortunately, this just pales in comparison to If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. That said, it's still a cute book that my kids enjoyed.
Amy
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great consistency as with the other "If you give" books. Sometimes I wonder if this pattern has been over done by Numeroff, but kids love the silliness of the needy animals as main characters. And older ones like me can try to figure out how Numeroff will trace the reader back to the original problem of giving the character something only to have him want more. Personally, I think I would be a great main character for a new story entitled "If you give your wife a $20.
Hákon Gunnarsson
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, dogs
If You Give a Dog a Donut is a playful, sometimes funny book, with nice illustrations, but I can’t say I like it very much. Giving a dog a sugary donut, (okay, it doesn’t actually say sugary in the text, but most donuts have some) is not a good idea. The sugar is bad for their health. And even if this idea is presented in a playful, fantastical story I still think it should have been better to stick closer to what actually is good for dogs.
Julio Bonilla
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it
If you give a dog a doughnut...

If that were so, the dog would first sniff it then eat it. Dogs will eat ANYTHING!

It’s my first time reading one of these books. Talk about with ADHD! Dog needs to go on a walk to get distracted.

Sara C
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Summary: This book was very cute. Gives you step by step what happens when a dog asks for a donut. It starts with the dog asking for a donut and that leads to something else each time which eventually leads you back to donuts. It is a fun book that will keep you guessing!

Activity: This book is for younger ages and I would do a sequencing activity. In this book, everything the dog does leads to something else. After we finish reading the book, I would ask them what the dog did next. For example,
Hannah
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This cute, sequential tale tells how a simple request for apple juice can lead to an adventure. In typical Numeroff style, an easily distracted dog takes the boy through a sea of seemingly unconnected activities. From playing baseball to treasure hunting, the exuberant dog jumps from one activity to the next, until finally ending back where he started, with a donut.
The cute, cartoonish illustrations bring to life the fun and chaos of the dog's day. The craziness of the situation is seen more
Brandon Colligan
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think it was a good book but found it a little too simple even for a children book. The book starts out with what would happen if you gave a dog a donut? It eventually leads to other events after giving a dog a donut. After all these things are given to the dog, the story leads back to him wanting a donut. It had a charming but yet dull form of events that kept on leading on to a simple concept. "What a dog would want if you give him a donut" Besides that it is a very entertaining read!I would ...more
Hannah
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once again, I am such a dork. I LOVE LAURA NUMEROFF's BOOKS! Haha. Okay that's out. Needless to say when my mom showed my sibs and I that she got this from the library, we all jumped for it, more like competed to read it. Well, being the big sister that I am I was able to wait while my sibs read it in like a minute, but I loved it. Haha. These books are the cutest. I think I'll write a tribute. If you give and Iguana an Ice Cream Cone. :D
Steph Sinclair

Reading this book to my kids brought back found memories of my mother reading If You Give a Mouse a Cookie to my brother and I. She'd read it to us over and over, as many times as we asked. We loved that book just as much as my kids enjoyed this. I'll definitely be buying this one soon.
Susie
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't know if this book really adds anything to the "If You Give a __ a __" series, but it is pretty darn cute. The illustrations are joyous, and, like the others in the series, it would be a delight to use with kids. The first time through it would be great for making predictions, and later readings would be fun for having kids recall what is next. And, as always, students can write their own stories, aiming to make them circular as well.
Rashanda Ravenel
This book introduces cause and effect by telling what will happen if you give a dog a donut. It encourages creativity and the release of imagination by showing many different activities all done in the backyard. I would use this book to talk to children about what dogs should eat and things that can be harmful for dogs. Students can share if they have a dog or pet at home. We can then write our own stories about what would happen if we gave our pet a donut, a waffle, or whatever they want.
Megan Craig
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Primary
Genre: Picture book
Book Share: Have you ever been on an adventure with your pet, a friend, or a family member? This book is about a boy who gives a dog a donut, and the dog takes the boy on an adventure! If you love funny stories and dogs, you would love this book. Read this to see what kind of adventure you could go on if you give a dog a donut.
Jen
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I just got done reading this book to my 4K class that came into the library. They really enjoyed it! They couldn't wait to find out what the dog would want next. This book brought up some great conversation about what dogs can/can't eat. Their take on the world is so cute! For those younger readers, books like this never get old.
Dan Crist
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was good book for all ages. I read it with some students in my class. The pictures were nice, detailed and caught the reader's eye. If you like picture books and a nice easy read this book is definitely for you. The main theme of this book is that the dog gets the donut, but afterwords he wants other things. This book can definitely relate to people in real life.
Lesley Looper
This book was okay, not as charming to me as earlier installments, like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
Hapzydeco
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This wonderfully illustrated book is part of our local library StoryWalk program. It is with a smile that we have observed the children as they walk around the pond and read the dog's quest. Donuts and apple juice - what a great combination.
Kiera Turner
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs
I love the Laura Numeroff book series! I think this book could be good when you have doggie lovers in your classroom or if your teaching a lesson on alliteration. You could even bring in donuts and apple juice to share with the children for snack!
Jessie Drew
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wolfie-and-me
“I loved it because I love donuts. I love it because the dog is greedy and I’m greedy, haha!” -Wolfie
Joy Gerbode
Oct 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another fun read. Mostly just about how we get distracted by so many things ... and that's part of having fun!
Stephanie
A cute addition to the series, though not quite as funny as the originals.
Monica Roy
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, I guess.
Brittany McCarty
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Laura Numeroff
Scholastic Inc., 2011, 29 pages, Children’s Fiction, grade level 1, Lexile Level 430, GR level: I
This book is another book in the series of “If You Give a…” written by Laura Numeroff. This version begins with a young boy giving a dog a donut and having the dog ask for juice to accompany it. The book then continues with the dog connecting the apple juice to apple trees and wanting to go pick more apples to make juice. When the dog is outside, it will want to
Lauren
Dec 01, 2016 added it
This book is about a boy who shares a donut with a dog and the outcome of that one donut opens a door of adventures. From apple juice to apple picking. From apple picking to baseball. Everything turns into another fun adventure. Once his kite gets tangled in a tree it reminds him that he wanted apple juice.
Pre-k-4th grade
Any subject area is fine with this book
Any student would benefit
Small group work would be fine
You can use the whole class as well
Similar books would be the “If you give”
Jade Nichole
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
If You Give A Dog A Donut is a cute and funny picture book. It talks about different sequences of events that will happen if you give a dog a donut. It is a very easy read and I highly recommend it to anyone of any age or gender. It has very detailed cartoony pictures that really give an explaination to what the story is telling. It is a short and sweet book that anybody would enjoy, just as much as I did.
Tatiana
Dec 16, 2011 rated it liked it
My tutoring students were sleepy and distracted this morning, so I opened the session with a story. I like the "If You Give/Take a..." series by Numeroff, even though they are very commericial, because they demonstrate bringing a story full circle, and If You Give a Dog a Donut was no exception. This was definitely at my students' independent level, though; I heard them reading along with me under their breath. A cute story.
R
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Donuts and apple juice don't go well together. Lightly sweetened apple donuts with apple cider is pretty good, but not white chocolate with sprinkles and apple juice. The sweetness balance is all off. Also, this book encourages the use of questionable logic. The pictures were lovely though.
Samantha
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
Meh. Maybe I'm just bored with this series, but it felt like Numeroff just needed to publish another book to please her publisher and grease the money wheel. Even the illustrations by Felicia Bond were lackluster, though I love her previous drawings in the Mouse and Pig books.
Meg McGregor
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Absolutely our favorite in this series as Lexi and I both love dogs and she couldn't take her eyes off the pup in this book!

You can't go wrong with this tried and true formula. Miss Numeroff has definitely got herself a winner here!

Read again on May 20, 2014.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Llama Llama Home with Mama
  • Llama Llama and the Bully Goat
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • Pete's Big Lunch (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • Pete the Cat: Construction Destruction
  • Bear Feels Sick
  • Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
  • Click, Clack, Peep!
  • Click, Clack, Moo I Love You!
  • I am Going! (Elephant and Piggie, #11)
Laura Joffe Numeroff is the New York Times bestselling author of author of If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, Raising a Hero, and What Mommies/Daddies Do Best. She was born in Brooklyn, New York and graduated from Pratt Institute. Laura grew up as the youngest of three girls, surrounded by art, music, and books. An avid animal lover, Laura has always wanted to write a book about service dogs. She now ...more

If You Give... (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Cat a Cupcake
  • If You Take a Mouse to the Movies
  • Time for School, Mouse!
  • If You Give a Mouse a Brownie