Jump to ratings and reviews
With her boss preoccupied researching the Founder Houses in Morganville, student Claire Danvers is left to her own devices when she learns that three vampires have vanished without a trace. She soon discovers that the last person seen with one of the missing vampires is someone new to town-a mysterious individual named Magnus. After an uneasy encounter with Morganville's latest resident, Claire is certain Magnus isn't merely human. But is he a vampire-or something else entirely?

335 pages, Hardcover

201 books17.9k followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,311 reviews
Profile Image for Emily.
28 reviews
December 4, 2013

That’s better. I was starting to feel like we should go shoe shopping or something.”

“Being a girl is not a bad thing!”

“No.” He took his hand out of his pocket and put his arm around her shoulders, hugging her close. “If I could be half the girl you are, I’d be—wow, I have no idea where I was going with that, and it just turned out uncomfortable, all of a sudden.”

“Jackass.”

“You like being a girl—that’s good. I like being a guy—that’s also good.”

“Next you’ll be all Me, Tarzan, you, Jane!”

i love this quote. hilarious.

Profile Image for Hannah-Linn.
268 reviews44 followers
November 9, 2011
11/8/11...update. I finished the book!!

8/24/11 update at bottom!!!!

Do you know what I love about these books? They come out about every six months!!! That's a pretty short time considering how long you have to wait for SOME books.
another thing I love about these books: there SSSOOOO many of them!!! I mean this is the eleventh book!!! Seriously??? And they NEVER get boring, even though it's pretty much just the same things happening in every book, it's SSSOOO exciting.
And for once I seriously love the protagonist. A lot of time authors make their main characters really hard to like, but I love claire. She's different :D

Update 11/8/11:
So, this time I finished the book. I actually finished it a couple days ago, but it's taken me a little while to get around to writing the review. I actually have a couple books I need to review...

So, this book was different. I can't exactly put my finger on it, it wasn't the writing. It was like the mood. It was different.

Everyone knows I love these books, but now I'm honestly just REEEALLY curious. Because, here I am putting my finger on that mood I was feeling, it was like hopelessness. They kind of had hope at the end, but throughout the book the feeling I kept getting was that everything was sort of coming to an end.
Which isn't true, there are going to be fifteen books apparently. So, I'm just curious.

Um, so, the characters are all there still. Everyones the same, they've got new problems though. And, there really wasn't a clif-hanger like a lot of people seemed to be wondering, you just really don't know what's going on by the end of the book.

So, I've read all the books up to this one and I haven't been dissapointed yet. Expect in the one where they go to dallas or wherever they were heading, that one was signifantly more boring than the others. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next four books, not that i'm looknig forward to the waiting
Profile Image for Hannah McBride.
Author 13 books814 followers
August 28, 2011
I’m honestly scrambling to find something other than “I FREAKING LOVED IT” to post right now, but I’m coming up somewhat empty. Rachel Caine’s 11th book in the Morganville Vampire series is everything a fangirl could dream of. Last Breath was filled with drama, romance, action, mystery, and a lot of suspense.

After eleven books, you pretty much know what you’re getting into with these books … or so I thought. Caine again kept me on my toes by showing us not only Claire’s point of view, but also Eve and Amelie. While I found Eve’s scenes all right, it was the insight into Amelie’s head that I simply adored. It was great to hear her inner monologue as she worked things out. She is a character I never quite know where to stand with, and now I feel like I know (and love) her a little bit more.

When this series debuted, I thought Caine was a genius. She gave a whole new spin on vampires and vampire lore that I hadn’t encountered yet. That her characters were loveable and multi-dimensional was an added bonus. In this book she adds another layer to the vampire legend and why Morganville itself was created in the middle of the desert. I was always curious as to why vampires chose to live under the hot, Texas sky and this explains it marvelously.

This book is a fun ride all the way around. I cracked it open as soon as I tore it out of the envelope in the mail and didn’t stop until I was done four hours later. Yes, it’s that good. Fans of the Morganville Vampire series will love this book. If you haven’t picked up any of these books, run (don’t walk) to your nearest bookstore. I promise you won’t be sorry.
Profile Image for Carolina.
121 reviews79 followers
Shelved as 'did-not-finish'
February 12, 2016
First I simply tought: "Last breath?? What the hell does that means?"

And then I was like: "OMG, will they turn Claire into a vamp or something?"

And then, I started wondering: "Wait... Eve and Michael... Marriage... Fangs... Accidents... Holy cow!"

I mean, what if

Marriage + Eve + Michael = Eve's Last Breath?!?!

Damn, why do I need to find out what happens so badly???
Profile Image for Literary Ames.
828 reviews393 followers
July 13, 2014
Gelatinous vampire goo. Gelatinous vampire goo. I can't get over it. This is so...wrong. I'm hoping this new enemy is part of Caine's endgame. We've had 11 books and perhaps she's running out of ideas even though the final book, #15 is due out in November 2013. It certainly feels like the end run.

The Villains
A type of ultimate vampire, the Draug have a seductive call like sirens, need water to survive and breed, can reduce themselves to vampire goo which if you get any on you, will suck the blood/life out of you. They can remain invisible to the naked eye and easily traps their prey, human or vampire, storing them in water until they're dead. On top of this, these guys are hard to kill.

Due to past encounters, Morganville's vampires are so scared they plan to abandon the town and run. Of all things, I did not expect them to run from something they'd spent decades building. I understand a new foe was needed after the long awaited and much required death of Bishop but I did believe they'd learned to stand and fight rather than to submit to fear and flee. I was severely disappointed by Amelie's response.

Amelie + Oliver
I didn't expect Amelie to lose IQ points in the process. Killing Claire and Shane -not a good idea. I can't believe Oliver had to step in and change her mind. Her manipulation of Myrnin when it came to this was appalling. Her actions destroyed previously strong relationships. Shane and Claire have been huge assets and her fear of this new enemy has turned her into a coward. That's not what we've come to expect of her.

Oliver has always been in favour of fighting and in that respect he's very like Shane (they wouldn't react kindly to that comparison) but he balances out Amelie's need to protect and retreat. They make a good ruling pair.

The Wedding
Oh, the melodrama. Why do they have to get married right this minute? I understand the tenuous nature of their relationship due to Micheal's undead status: unable to give Eve children and will most likely outlive her, remaining 18 forever but no one is stopping them from "living in sin". I really didn't care about the drama and political fallout from this mixed marriage between a human and a vamp. It ate up too many pages, boring me so much I kept putting the book down and avoiding picking it back up. If anything I'd have preferred someone kidnap Eve to try and turn her to end the prejudice, arguments and tears.

Main Character Death
I instantly knew this was a temporary predicament. A cheap move. A quick and quiet death with no one around to witness it. A few character's reactions were notable though.

It also became obvious why we get multiple POVs in this book which I think was done to better effect when it was just Claire and Shane in Bite Club. Here it added little in terms of character development but is required in order to get every side of the story.

Claire + Michael
Michael admits he once thought about Claire in a...romantic sense.

Claire + Myrnin
Claire discovers Myrnin does feel more than just friendship. It may or may not be love but he wants her as a permanent companion.

Claire + Shane
We leave them in a strong position. I can see these two marrying and spending the rest of their lives together. They have staying power. They work at their relationship, really work at it, and I think this makes them good role models for the teenage audience this is aimed at. Too many couples these days are only too willing to walk away when things get tough. However, I'm not a fan of the cringe-worthy mushiness Caine keeps shoving in our faces. They love each other, it shows. Please, don't go overboard.

The Usual Humour, Excellent As Always
Myrnin pumping a sawed-off shotgun 'with unsettling enthusiasm' and calling "Let's go hunting, shall we?"

Michael to Shane: "And you know if you screw it up with Claire, I'll rip your throat out and drink you like a juice box."

I admired Eve's willingness to cut a bitch (i.e. Monica): "Micheal is missing. He may be dying. I am not in the mood for your shallow bullshit right now. If you get in my way, I will cut you, because you are nothing but a speed bump on my way to saving him. Are we clear?"

To Conclude...
Although I am a long term fan of this series this is the lowest rating I've given and the closest I've come to DNF-ing one of these books. I find this troubling considering we have four more books before the end.

I believe Caine's heavy reliance on Bishop as a villian to bring ultimate fear to the residents of Morganville has left me distinctly unimpressed by this new foe despite their obviously lethal attributes.

For me, I think perhaps a threat from within would've provided more intrigue because we've done the "invasion by outsiders" thing with Bishop and to be honest it was done to death. Magnus appears to be Bishop with a new name.

In my opinion, Caine has taken the easy road by using predictable devices such as killing off a main character and magically reviving them, taking past situations and reusing them. If an author can't come up with fresh stories then it's time to stop producing them.

I still love the series. I'm determined to see it to the end but I hope Caine can inject fresh ideas into Black Dawn.

Included Short Story
In my UK edition there was a short story, "Anger Management" set between Bite Club and Last Breath from Shane's POV, detailing Shane's mandatory counselling with Dr. Theo Goldman, where he's challenged to refrain from becoming angry and use non-violent methods whenever possible for 24 hours. It's not a necessary read but it was enjoyable, especially his encounter with Monica.

____________________________________________

Sample chapters available HERE.

“Marriage is a big word for all guys,” Shane said. “You know that. It’s kind of an allergy. We get itchy and sweaty just trying to spell it, much less do it.”
Profile Image for Arlene.
1,155 reviews643 followers
November 9, 2011
Holy floating Moses! That was insane!

…every story’s tragic somewhere along the way. You just have to know where to stop telling the story to make a happy ending…

I cannot agree with that more! Rachel Caine sure has a way of creating a roll-a-coaster of a ride for her Morganville fans. She puts us through an ongoing adventure of turbulent ups and downs with crazy twists, insane events and fierce action that doesn’t quit. Call me crazy, but I don’t want this wild ride to end.

In Last Breath Morganville is at the precipice of an apocalypse. The vampires are facing an enemy that has defeated them time and time again throughout history. Vampires are disappearing and the Glass House residents along with the rest of Morganville face an unknown danger like never before. No one is safe and humans and vampires must ban together to save their town.

Wow! This installment had one of the most tragic moments in all of the books combined. I didn’t know if I was going to be able to get past Chapter 11 with my heart intact. GAWD! That scared the bloody vampires out of me. My brain was in a clusterfuck as I was frantically anticipating how Caine was going to fix the madness that was happening. AGGG!! What a tumultuous scene that goes down as Morganville’s finest moments yet!

It’s no surprise that I absolutely love.love.love this cast of characters! Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have a chemistry and bond that really carries this book to a new level of awesomeness. Is it crazy that I worry like hell over them? Well I do! I think that’s called truly vested. I love Claire for her quiet strength, I adore Shane for his reckless loyalty that just won't quit, Eve tugs at my heart with her raw power and Michael pulls my emotions in all sorts of directions with his fierce determination to keep his friends together and safe.

There were a couple of reveals in this book that had me shouting I.KNEW.IT!! I don’t want to spoil anything, but it has to do with Michael and his initial feelings for another character close to him. I called that at least 7 books ago! ~happy dance~ Just because I was right, not because I want anything to come of it. Also, there was a scene where Claire has to make a choice that will affect her relationship with Myrnin and Shane. I expelled a sigh of relief and I guess I could claim I knew what she’d choose, but it was nice to see it confirmed in this book. Oh and that last scene!! Woah! Did Caine have to stop there???? I want more!!!

Overall, there was not one moment that didn’t grab my attention and have me biting my nails in anticipation. This book was intense, wild, crazy and true Morganville style addicting! Next one please!

Favorite Quotes:
“Do you think I want to visit Crazy McTeeth in his liar of insanity?”

“Claire.” A very faint curve of a smile touched his lips, and his eyes shown, not with happiness, she realized, but with tears. “You got in my head, you really did. And my heart. And I’m sorry.”

"So please, stop following your usual extremely useless agenda of jabbering questions and put the needle in your arm!
Profile Image for Natasa.
47 reviews28 followers
December 5, 2011
I really don't know why I read this crap.

These books are like those movies where you just go to switch your brain off and have a good time. Except the difference for Last Breath is that you switch your brain off and have one heck of a bore-a-thon.

Even the action scenes have gotten boring.

OK, that's not entirely true since I was into it while I was reading those sequences, but even so there was this "get on with it" feeling all over it. After eleven books you kinda figure out no one's gonna die so you got no one to root for. The peril factor drops below zero and then you're waiting to get past the action kinda like this.

But the action's just the build-up to the drama stuff. That's how lame this is. In normal books the action constitutes as the juicy stuff. In Morganville this is the other way around, because everything's topsy turvy and upside down and inside out. Wouldn't expect anything less from the brilliantly ingenious mind of Rachel Caine.

Ms Caine, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT IF IT'S YOUR JOB. If you're going to be paid almost a million dollars (source) for writing crap, get your head screwed on right and write something with a little more meaning.

Then again, we're up to book eleven. And still reading crap.

I'm only holding out for Myrnin and Claire to get together, but obviously that's not going to happen, not now or anywhere in the future.

My feelings over Shane & Claire's relationship are completely and accurately summed up in the following image.

I'm still going to read Black Dawn because I'm a hardcore Myrnin and Claire shipper and because I'm too invested in this series to give up now. But I know I'm in for a boatload of crap with an extra boatload of crap and make no mistake.
Profile Image for ~Tina~.
1,092 reviews159 followers
November 7, 2011
Everytime it comes to writing a review for these books, I find myself sounding like a broken record. But then again every time it's worth the repeat. These books are highly addictive and purely entertaining. It kills boredom and cures readers-block. It's nevah dull and it's always filled with the most delicious intrigue, not to mention sizzling-sexy chemistry.

How is it possible that these books just gets better and better? Eleven books in- and I'm still having an absoute blast in this world. In fact, I think this might be my favorite one. I love them all mind you, but I loved loved loved the new threat lurking in Morganville. Magnus! How awesomely unique is he? The entire draug concept is nothing short of brilliance. Great move for Caine to bring in something actually worse then Bishop. We also got a lot of great moments between Shane and Claire. I think it's safe to say that Caine totally made up for it after Bite Club. Shane and Claire seems more...close, strong, united in this book compared to all the rest and oh GAWD the emotions!! My throat felt so tight during a few scenes, really really choking me up.

Last Breath would have been the second to last novel, but I'm so thrilled that Caine is extending this to three more books, bring it to number fifteen. I could slightly see where she was going with the next book...if it were to be the last, but I think that with the new danger in Morganville the story line has room to be stretched and that's fine by me. You'd think that after all these books we would all be ready to just let them go, but oh hell no, all it does is make me crave the next installment that much quicker! I don't know how she does it, but just when you think everything been done in Morganville we get something entire new and unexpected. I should have known better being in a Rachel Caine book, and yet, the color of happy shock is still splattered on my face. Dame she's good!

I freaking adore all of these characters!! Shane, Claire, Myrnin, Michael and Eve. Each and every single one of them keep bringing in the crazy as hell fun that I've come to expect from them. But we see a different side to some of these characters in this one. The more intense and raw emotions that are usually hidden, surfaces in a moment when everything is at it's worst and some of the suspected unspoken revelations start to come out (Myrnin and Michael, I'm looking at you). Shane and Claire have reached a new level of yum. Not only were some of their moments sweet as sin or comically amusing, but you actually feel the extent of how they feel about one another.
It took my breath away.

All in all, this was another Morganville win!! I love the new plot arc and I'm so looking forward to seeing how Caine will play this out in Black Dawn!!!
Oh and one more thing. A shout out to that ending. What an amazing moment for Shane and Claire fans!! ~la sigh~

Gimme Gimme More!!!
Profile Image for Maria V. Snyder.
Author 64 books16.8k followers
September 12, 2012
Book #11 - I've never gone this far with an author or series before - Harry Potter the only other series I finished with 4 + books. I just love these characters and situation and am still engaged :)

I finished last night and enjoyed the story. It ended with a cliff hanger as Rachel does sometimes and I'm going to start Black Dawn tonight. I must say I was shocked by .

I talked to Rachel last year in Texas and asked her about writing so many books in one series. She mentioned how hard it is and that she has to keep "upping the stakes" (pun intended). After reading Last Breath - she certainly raised the stakes and as I said I was shocked :)

As for the story - I liked reading from the other character's POV - I'd have liked more indepth sections than the few that's there, and Shane, Micheal, and Eve only had one section each. I also thought it was interesting that while Clarie's POV is close third person - the others are first person, which seemed...odd to me - She did this in Bite Club, but it didn't stand out as much. Not anything to stop me from reading and it didn't distract from the story - I just noticed :) And I'm sure if you're on book #11, then you're all in - like me :)
Profile Image for Hajar Y,.
90 reviews154 followers
September 30, 2014
Last Breath, the eleventh chapter in the Morganville Vampire series, proved to be a HUGE disappointment. This far into the series, I expect that any events that happen in it need to have reasons to really be there, instead of just acting as fillers. Nevertheless, that is the exact thing I get: two supposedly "huge" dramas that didn't have any consequences molded into a storyline that fit into the exact pattern as the previous books.

Nothing new is really there other than the villain and even he doesn't really have any depth. Another thing that I don't get is why must everything happen to or has to be about Claire? There are three other members in the Glass House that I think deserve to be put on the center stage. Let them steer the story, let it be about them rather than about Claire. After all, it is The Morganville Vampire Series NOT Claire Danvers series. This is the kind of change that this series need - something that work against the pattern - not just the alternate chapters that the author featured in this book.

In my opinion, the predictability of the story clearly shows that the author is using an easy, lazy way to create something that is "suppose" to be new, but the truth is, in the end of the day, all we get is the same old story with some minor changes and that clearly is not enough. Cheated, that is how Last Breath make me feel as I graduated to its final page.
Profile Image for MISS VAIN.
200 reviews496 followers
November 27, 2011
Myrnin wasn't listening. He was muttering under his breath, something in a language I didn't know, but from the sound of it, he was cursing like a drunken sailor as he stared murderously at the black portal. Then he switched to English.

"All right," he said. "Kill me, then, you faithless pile of lumber and nails. Kill me if you have to, but I am coming through."

So everyone that knows me knows I'm completely obsessed with Rachel Caine and her dark gritty world of Morganville Vampires and especially my insanely brilliant vampire Myrnin.He's to die for, literally. ;)

"Frank." Myrnin said, and all the fussiness was gone from his voice, leaving it flat and cold. "If you wish to be insulting, I can just mute you for a few days until you learn manners. These are my guests. Granted, I don't really like your son, but I tolerate him, and you can do the same."

Okay so, to those of you that have not succumbed to my begging recommendations of this series, shame on you because you're missing out. Big time! ;) It's the eleventh book already, and this series has yet to get boring.

So usually these books are told from Claire (a human prodigy) POV, and she's courageous, and lovable, and fearless, but when I discovered this book would be told from several other POV's although Claire is awesome, I must admit I was curious. We get to explore inside The Ruthless Founder of Morganville Amelie (vampire)), as well as deliciously devoted Shane (Claire's bf) did i forget sexy?, Our favorite Morganville Goth Princess Eve (Claire's best friend), and our gorgeous guitar playing vampire Michael (Eve's gf).

Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin,Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin, Myrnin

Although I found it fascinating inside their minds, my only wish is that we can get inside my absolute favorite Morganville residents mind;Myrnin!!!!! Every page he appears in the book I'm glued instantly, yes I'll admit, I'm not ashamed I have a huge embarrassingly shameless crush on a sometimes insane, though nonetheless absolutely brilliant vampire who keeps a pet spider named Bob as a companion, a human brain in a jar so he can have instant scientific access to the city, Hawaiian shirt wearing, bunny slipper sporting, pompous, arrogant, handsome twenty something frozen in time vampire named Myrnin. ;)

Wow! A lot happened in this book, and it took a dark and grittier turn in a new an exciting direction. In the middle of the book I was heartbroken and found myself crying along with everyone......I was wishing that obviously Rachel Caine decided on the alternative to what I was eagerly anticipating, but it was still very enjoyable in the end. :)

Men are always rescuing women, but sometimes they're the ones needing saving too!

Eve leaned forward. "I've learned a lot of things, Monica,"she said just enough to be heard over the wind and the music. "Michael is missing. He may be dying. I am not in the mood for your shallow bullshit right now. If you get in my way, I will cut you, because you are nothing but a speed bump on my way to saving him. Are we clear?"

I love that Eve will move mountains to save Michael and he in turn will always protect her, even if it means going against his own species.

"I want you to promise me one thing."

"What?"

"Promise me you'll marry me. Not now. Someday. Because I need to know."

Well what could I possibly say about deliciously devoted bad boy Shane, except for........Can I have my very own Shane???!!!! ;)

I absolutely Loved, Loved, Loved, Last Breath!!!! I can't wait until the next installment.

Lately I haven't had much time to read, and luckily this book was exactly what I needed to get me back into my reading grove. ;) As usual The Morganville Vampires have yet to disappoint me. Fortunately Rachel Caine writes these about every six months so the wait is short compared to other series.

I am thankful for my lovely friend Christen mailing me her ARC since she hasn't had the opportunity to become a devoted Morganville follower.....yet....;)

Like what you see here, check out more of my reviews at http://missvainsparanormalfantasy.com/

Profile Image for konneko ..
100 reviews3 followers
February 5, 2012
GOSH!!!!!
waiting sucks!!!

November will be a really important month =P
Profile Image for Tatiana Vila.
Author 11 books193 followers
December 23, 2011
I only have a few words to say about Last Breath: best book in the whole Morganville series. This was a true roller coaster of emotions, and the ending...well, it was the perfect cherry to top a delicious cupcake of stirring scenes. Definitely worth reading.
Profile Image for Kayleigh {K-Books}.
1,002 reviews7 followers
October 24, 2011
Last Breath Review on K-Books

I was so excited to receive this for review from Allison & Busby Publishers and I just had to start to straight away. Morganville Vampires is without a doubt my favourite vampire series ever. I am always torn between this series and Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series but after reading Last Breath this is definitely the best vampire series I have ever read. The writing style is amazing and the storyline is shocking and beautiful all at the same time. This is the only series that has captured my attention through so many books and still has me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book 11 books down the line.

Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael have come to terms with a lot of weird things in Morganville. It being ran by vampires and having to work with them in order to survive. But one thing Claire doesn't know and can't stop thinking about it why vampires would settle in a town in the middle of the desert in a very hot, sunny location when they have major sunlight sensitivity. What Claire doesn't count on is finding out this little bit of information may put hers and her friends lives in danger because little did they know they are bang in the middle of a war; one that has been a long time coming; and one that has finally caught up with them and the Morganville Vampires.

The only think that came to mind when I had first finished Last Breath was OMG I cannot possibly wait until May for the next book in the series. After having a break and coming to terms with all the things that happened I can honestly say that for me Last Breath is 100% without a doubt my favourite book of the series so far. I think it was the best one and I couldn't put it down. I know, I know I say this with every book in this series that I read but that's how I feel. That they just get better and better with each book. This series is like a drug to me, I am so addicted I can't put it down and then when I'm finished it's torture waiting for the next book because I need my Morganville fix straight away. There is not one boring moment in this book, everything is fast paced and I cannot wait for book 12.

Last Breath is definitely the most emotional book of the series so far. Rachel Caine successfully turned me into a blubbering baby as I just could not stop crying through a number of chapters. I could not believe the storyline and the twist and I was crying to hard I had to stop reading for a little while I calmed myself down. My mind was a mess and I was thinking why would Rachel do this to the characters and the readers? I can't believe that happened. But I kept reading and the ending was explosive, amazing and phenomenal.
I am super excited that there will be 15 books in total in this series and I am not quite ready to let this phenomenal series go. I have complete faith in Rachel that the ending will be phenomenal and I cannot wait to see how the series ends but I will 100% enjoy every step on the way before we get there. This is a series I will re-read again and again and no matter how many books I have to-read I just want to re-read them.

A phenomenal chapter in the Morganville Vampires and definitely the best. I can't wait to see what will happen next.
Profile Image for ♥Rachel♥.
1,801 reviews829 followers
November 19, 2011
Wow, I think this was my favorite of the series! These books just keep getting better. I don’t know how Rachel Caine manages to keep us invested in this story even after eleven books, but she does. Once you start reading one of these books you find the pages just fly by. This has always been a fun series with a lot of action, romance, and snarky/humorous dialogue. This book in the series however, is a game-changer, and felt a bit more serious than the others.

After the whole drama played out in Bite Club, Shane is determined to make it up to Claire, Michael, and Eve. Michael and Eve are planning their wedding, well mainly Eve is. Michael doesn’t seem as enthusiastic. Pretty much the whole town, vampire and human, are against the wedding, and Michael is feeling the pressure. Oliver has even gone to Claire to get Eve and Michael to stop the union. In the midst of all this, an unknown “person” has shown up in town. Claire keeps spotting him, he’s non-descript, average in every way, but every time she sees him she has a weird sensation come over her. She know he must be more than human. Trouble is she seems to be the only one who spots him. Add to this, vampires start disappearing from town, left and right.

This book is different from all in the series because up until now the stories were told in Claire’s POV. We get the perspective of: Shane, Michael, Eve, and even Amelie in this one. It was a nice change. I do wish that we would have a chapter from Myrnin’s POV too. Myrnin even with his crazy and volatile personality manages to become a hero when needed (and boy was it needed in this one!). The different POVs made it possible to confirm suspicions many have had for a long time. Whether or not this will have any bearing on the story in future remains to be seen (I hope it doesn’t, thank you very much. I like the way things are!). Claire and Shane’s relationship is so very sweet, inside-melting sweet!! Man they have some great moments in this one, and the ending scene with them………well, made me all warm and fuzzy inside!! I think I’ve never loved Shane more than in this book! There is also a rip-your-heart-out chapter or two!!! Intense and heart-breaking does not cover it!!

One of the best things about this series is that Caine always leaves you wanting more without leaving you on a painful, violence-inducing cliffhanger! I think Rachel Caine stepped it up a notch with this one!
Profile Image for Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey).
1,372 reviews471 followers
June 4, 2013
Quick review:

Cover: IDK
Rating: R
Overall: It was pretty good
Characters: Well Written
Plot: A new bad boy is in town and everyone is in danger
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Sure
Recommend: Yeah
Book Boyfriend: Shane

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
Well, I didn’t love this book, but it was pretty good. There was some world building as something new has come to town. We also get some more answers which is always good. And can I say that was the best ending ever. It was. It really was.

For a full review and yummy pic, see my blog post at:

Audio Review
Cynthia Holloway continues to do a good job with this series.
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,277 reviews42 followers
November 28, 2019
Just when we think Morganville is going to erupt into another civil war over Michael (a vampire) wanting to marry Eve (a human), a greater evil comes to town. Turns out that even vampires have predators. Amelie makes some tough decisions to keep everyone from knowing that the vampires aren't the top of the food chain, and Claire is at the center of the repercussions.

I liked this storyline. I was intrigued by the idea that there was something worse than the vampires out there and I liked the explanation behind the evolution. I also liked that the author took some risks with regard to what happens to some of our characters. Of course, there was not an ending exactly; the monster has not been defeated, so the storyline must continue in the next book. Yes, of course, I'll be reading it, because why not?
Profile Image for All Things Urban Fantasy.
1,921 reviews611 followers
October 27, 2011
Rachel Caine is an evil, wicked author for what’s she has done to her characters—and by extension her readers—in LAST BREATH, the eleventh book in her crazy fun Morganville Vampire series. Not since GLASS HOUSES—which ended with with the decapitation of a main character—have I been as shocked by a book in this series…and yes, that means someone else very important dies.

I am continually amazed at how after so many books, the stories about Claire, Shane, Eve, Michael, and Morganville still feel fresh and exciting. What’s more impressive is that the stakes—pardon the pun—escalate with each book too. How Rachel Caine manages to top herself with each book, I’ll never know, but the reader in me is just thrilled that she does.

Vampire politics have become an increasingly pivotal plot point in the series overall, but like in previous books, there is a very personal storyline in LAST BREATH too, involving Michael and Eve’s impending nuptials. Not to mention the ever volatile relationship between Claire and Shane, who actually didn’t make me hate him even once this time. That’s a new record. There were also some very difficult realizations that Claire had to make about a different relationship. I am extremely excited about what this could mean for the future of the series.

As in the previous Morganville book, LAST BREATH isn’t told exclusively from Claire’s perspective. We get chapters from Shane, Eve, Michael, and even Amelie, the last of which was a little odd. I think I prefer her as the mysterious and aloof Founder rather than knowing her thoughts. But these new perspectives did provide TONS of answers about Morganville and it’s citizens, so I’m not complaining. I can only hope that we get a chapter from Myrnin next time. And there will be a next time. Rachel is under contract for at least three more books in The Morganville Vampires series. Up next is BLACK DAWN, which will be published in May 2012, and after the end of LAST BREATH…the series may never be the same.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. References to sex.
Profile Image for Elizabeth.
338 reviews90 followers
July 14, 2021
The Morganville Vampires

Last Breath

Rachel Caine

Book eleven…

Wedding planning.

Claire keeps seeing creepy dude, who keeps disappearing.

Eve and Michael have an engagement party with both Vampires and Humans.

Shane and Claire hand out flyers, then get ordered to Myrnin by Myrnin.

There's a vampire at the border, with a letter for Amelie saying 'RUN.’

Amelie doesn't want anyone to know, so Myrnin is ordered to kill Shane (but she allowed Claire to live because Myrnin liked her.)

Though Oliver is ordered to stop him.

People hate Eve.

The party.

There is a fight, and have to make a run for it.

Vampires are going missing.

Creepy man keeps popping up.

So Eve, Claire, Shane, and Michael stay inside, safe.

But they need food, ect.

Claire sees the creepy man take Oliver, and makes her pass out.

It starts to rain (important.)

When home Eve goes to dry of BUT… Creepy Man is in the house… and Kills Claire…

Yer.

Shane is deviated! Eve and Michael are upset.

Shane blames Myrnin, but it is not him.

IT GETS REALLY DARK 18+

Claire is now a Ghost like Michael was, but it is much harder for her to communicate.

The others must find a way to bring Claire back to life.

Myrnin can help but Amelie is evacuating the Vampires to flee.

Michael gets kidnapped too.

Myrnin, Eve and Shane manage to bring Claire back to life.

They now need to save the kidnapped Vampires.

The creepy dude is a Draug(?) - water Vampire -

Which has invested the town.

Amelie and Myrnin go super badass Vampires.

They save Michael, Oliver, and a lady Vampire.

Amelie is bitten by a master draug (deadly.)

They are at war!

Claire, Michael, Shane, Amelie POV.

Amelie and Oliver kiss!

5/5*
Profile Image for Alaina.
5,919 reviews216 followers
November 6, 2017
I feel like this is probably my favorite book out of the entire series. I don't really know how to explain it but mostly I didn't end up hating anyone that much or think any of the main characters were annoying as fuck. So that is always a plus in my book.

Last Breath was an okay book with a dash of interesting twists and turns.
Profile Image for Amber I..
335 reviews69 followers
September 6, 2011
After 10 books in the same series you might think you can know what to expect. But Rachel has a way of throwing things at us we would never see coming. And this 11th book Last Breath is topping all that! She stunned me at what she came up with! You will never see it coming!!If you have come this far in the series, then you know its going to be awesome. I would recommend reading these all in order so you can really get to know these characters and to see how much they have all been through together.

Last Breath has to be one of the best books in the series. Its action packed, very romantic, heart breaking, mysterious and everything you have come to love about this series. It has one of the craziest twist turners this series has ever seen. I could not believe it when it happened. I never saw it coming and was just shocked! I was heart broken! I can not wait for everyone to read this so we can all talk.

You are going to go on a roller coaster of emotions and you will be shocked! All the characters we love are there and we get to go inside of a lot of their heads. We get POV's from Claire, Shane, Michael, Eve and Amelie. We see a lot of Oscar and Myrinin. The group is facing one the biggest battles ever and no one is safe! It could be the end of Morganville!! You are going to want to rush to the bookstores to get a copy of this!!
Profile Image for Naomi.
393 reviews
October 31, 2011
Wow! Eleven books into The Morganville Vampires series & it's still as exciting as ever!! I think this may actually be my favourite one so far!
Profile Image for Andy.
2,354 reviews176 followers
October 29, 2017
This was a pretty crazy installment. And now there's going to be a shit more trouble to deal with.
Profile Image for Aly.
2,463 reviews
November 26, 2019
This had way more craziness than I've seen in the last few books. Poor Claire is always getting the bad end of things and goes through so much, yet she remains positive and tries to help everyone even when it seems hopeless. Shane is such a good boyfriend to Claire and it broke my heart to see him so down. I'm glad they have each other and their friends. Eve sometimes really annoys me, especially when she thinks she can just do whatever she wants and then causes problems for the rest of the group. Sometimes you have to stand down and rethink your plan, not just shove it in everyone's face.
This was a different enemy that we haven't seen before and I'm looking forward to seeing how the cliffhanger plays out.
Profile Image for Emily.
135 reviews7 followers
February 8, 2020
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I did the last one. But I'd still only give it 4 stars because it isn't as good as the earlier books in the series. However, I enjoyed the story from different viewpoints, it was intriguing to know the thoughts of the vampires as well as Claires.

The majority of the book revolves around a mystery. One that Claire doesn't know how to resolve. This kept me HOOKED on the book because I wanted to know more and solve the mystery. This book drove me further away from Amelie and closer to Oliver - which took me by surprise because I disliked Oliver in the previous books.

Myrnin is still my favourite character by far, he is just oblivious to normal behaviour but he knows just what to do in a crisis. During the whole book there were drastic changes to how Morganville is run and you need to read this book just to read the process of these changes and whether they will be resolved. I can't wait to read the final books in the series, I just hope they keep getting better!
Profile Image for Patti TheLoveJunkee.
715 reviews150 followers
October 13, 2011
Claire Danvers is an extra-ordinary girl living in the extra-ordinary town of Morganville, Texas. What makes Claire so special? She's super-smart, having started college early, and, among other things, works after school in a lab with Myrnin, who's a little crazy...and a vampire. In Morganville though, that's no so unusual - there are lots of vampires in Morganville.

While there is usually an uneasy truce between the humans and the vampires, things are currently a little strained. Someone's planning a wedding, and as the countdown ticks down, it's plain that the wedding is one thing that everyone in town seems to agree on: no one thinks it should happen; not the vamps, and definitely not the humans.

But while the town is focused on the approaching nuptuals, Claire and the gang learn that vampires are going missing. Just a few at first, but as the days go by and there's no sign of the missing vampires, things start to get weird weirder than usual. Claire sees something she shouldn't but can't remember what it was, Amelie gets a cryptic message that leads her to the decision to close down Morganville, and Myrnin has a decision to make. Will Claire and her friends solve the mystery and save Morganville? Do they even want to save Morganville? Or is this their chance to be free of the vampires forever?

My thoughts:
Last Breath is a can-not-miss installation to The Morganville Vampires series! As I've come to expect from this series, the story is fresh and the players are like old friends. As an added bonus, in Last Breath, we are treated to viewpoints from not only Claire, but also Amelie, Eve, Michael, and Shane.

Fans of Myrnin will love Last Breath: he continues to be one of my favorite anti-heroes. Even faced with the possible demise of Amelie, Morganville, and possibly himself, he steps up and does what needs to be done. And Shane...oh Shane...*sniffs* Shane faces possibly the most heartbreaking section of the book.

Without giving anything away, we do learn why this book is titled Last Breath; and believe me, you're going to be holding yours. After 10 books in this series of characters we have grown to love, Ms. Caine continues to captivate the reader with jaw-dropping scenes like this:

I lifted my head, and I knew my eyes were flaring with white power, driven by my rage, my revulsion, my desperation. "Silence them Myrnin. You know you must."
He stared back at me for a moment in mute horror, and shook his head. "I can't," he said. "God witness me, I cannot do it. Not to her. The boy, yes, but not her. Amelie, there must be another way."
"Jesu, you think if there was, I wouldn't take it?" I shouted it at him, fists clenched against the need to strike. "You will do it. You must." And I put my will on him, pushing in a way that I so rarely did these days. That I so rarely had to do.
~page 74, Last Breath

Last Breath was impossible to put down; every time I thought I knew where Ms. Caine was going to take us, I was wrong. This new villain in Morganville is dangerous and scary; so terrifying that even the vampires are panicking. And it's stealthy, sneaking up on us while we're busy looking somewhere else.

I have one complaint...usually Ms. Caine ends her stories nicely and things are as wrapped up as they can be, without ending the series of course, but that's not the case in Last Breath. Last Breath ends with a definite cliffhanger, and I felt like the story was left unfinished.

Last Breath is probably the most emotionally-charged installment in the series to date; fans of the books will not be disappointed. Between the surprise twists and the seemingly impossible challenges Claire must overcome, Last Breath left me gasping for breath.
Profile Image for Jade.
248 reviews33 followers
November 8, 2011
5 stars plus, a round of applause, a standing ovation and an "addicting as crack" warning label.

I love this series. It's book 11` and yet it was fresh, awesome and left me wanting for more. Some series begin to wither as they go along. They seem to be written as fan service and for the publishers'/author's pockets. I don't mean any disrespect, but at times the quality and sincerity of the writing seems forced. In OTHER SERIES, NOT, NOT, this one.

OMG! How does Ms. Caine does it? She really knows where she wants her characters to go. Each book I read I expect it to not be as good as the last. Not bc of any fault of the books themselves, but the disappointments I've suffered, like I said, from OTHER series. But no, each book I end with a: "wow, it was so good. I really liked it!". Well, I did not just like this book, but LOVED this book. There were so many levels to it. Not only as a well told story itself- it had all the great points that make good book, good- but as a part of a series, part of characters one's familiar with, and care about as though they were real. It was simple perfection.

By page 5 I was smiling bc I got into the tone of the characters right away. By page 17, I was hooked and did not want to put the book down. By page 60 my heart was beating so fast. By page 150 I was numbed into disbelief and could not bring myself to panic, worry, cry. I felt like I had to have faith. By page 200, I just had to stop and remind myself that this was just a book. But if you read books to suspend you from reality- this book does its job like a pro, heavy weight champion. It does not just hook you in, it absorbs you.
It's witty, even in the direst moment. Not gratuitously, but bc, you know what, that is precisely what this kids would say at that moment.
There is a mystery, there is love and heartbreak.Loyalties are tested, lost and renewed. There is so much packed in less than 350 pgs, I again wonder, how Ms. Caine does it?
I cannot say this book was actually good-no, this book was GREAT. If possible the BEST from the series.
If this is your first time picking up this book, don't start here, you will miss it's impact. Start from book 1, "The Glass House". Believe me it's worth it. Also pick up the next, say, 10 after that because you will not want to put this series down. I was wondering about the title, "Last Breath", now I realize, that is what you are left with after reading this book and hyperventilating in select passages. Absolutely worth reading.

Edit: Did a re-read on this book and feel like everything I felt the first time, stands even more strongly the second time around. Now, on to read book #12.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 1,311 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.