Start by marking “Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial” as Want to Read:
Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial

Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial

Describes the efforts of middle school students from the rural Tennessee town of Whitwell to create a Holocaust memorial based on a collection of millions of paper clips intended to represent all of the victims exterminated by the Nazis.
Published January 1st 2005 by Kar-Ben Publishing (Tm) (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Six Million Paper Clips, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Million Paper Clips

Start your review of Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial
Judy
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A great book--but don't stop there. This is just a tiny glimpse of an inspiring story about how two middle school teachers started a project that took on international dimensions. Whitwell is a small town in Tennessee with no ethnic diversity. As the teachers began teaching about the Holocaust, students could not grasp the idea of six million people being killed by Nazi Germany during WWII. So they began a project that lasted over several years to collect paper clips to represent those who lost ...more
Lisa  Skripps
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of A Children’s Holocaust Museum is the touching story of goal setting, human emotion, and determination. Peter and Dagmar Schroeder wrote this book after the children of Whitwell Middle School completed a project in which they collected over six million paper clips from around the world in order to represent all of the lost souls that perished in the horrific nightmare of the Holocaust. The project began when the teachers in this poor farm town began to teach ...more
Mallory
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: informational
I was so moved by this story. It is a detailed account of how the students at Whitwell Middle School in Witwell, Tennessee decided to create a Holocaust Memorial. I found the sequence of events fascinating, as I have heard of the Paperclip Project, but did not know many of the details. Whitwell Middle began learning about the Holocaust after a faculty member decided that it was time that the students learned about differences and tolerance. This is topic that I believe many communities need to u ...more
Chris
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book tells the inspiring and touching story of the teachers, students, and community of Whitwell Middle School in Tennessee, and their quest to understand and teach about the Holocaust. The authors, White House correspondents for a group of German newspapers, helped the school publicize the project to collect six million paper clips to show just how many people were murdered and obtained a German railcar to house them.

The book includes a lot of quotes and behind-the-scenes information. Foo
Lindsey Roath
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A super informative and quick read about the Tennessee children's project to collect one paperclip for each of the people killed during the Holocaust. Students at the middle school researched and brought this project to life in order to fully understand the impact of those 11 million deaths.
Cheryl Lykowski
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children’s Holocaust Memorial

What makes this book so good is that comes from the children. Middle school students that wanted to know more about a world before their time, researched and built a memorial to show the world the amount of lives lost during the Holocaust.
Kristen
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting and important story about how one town taught it's kids the reality of the holocaust. At times it was a bit didactic, but overall a good story with a good message. We can never forget that the Nazis murdered six million Jews and five million other 'undesirable' people.
Suzanne
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a moving story. Everyone should try to read this account if how a small middle school tried to understand how many people died at the hands of the Nazis. The roadblocks and challenges these students faced kept coming and coming, but they preserved because it was important.
Joyce
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juv-nonfiction
This nonfiction book tells the fascinating story of a middle school, with the help of their community, two German writers, and people from all over the world collected 11 million paper clips and built a Holocaust memorial in Tennessee.
Jaime
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Doug Heishman
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book to stir your emotions and build empathy for others.
Alana B.
For my non-fiction book, I read Six Million Paper Clips by Peter and Dagmar Schroeder. It is about a group of kids from Whitwell Middle School in Tennessee who are in an after-school class and started a world wide project to collect paper clips. They wanted to see what the number six million looked like because that was how many Jews died in the holocaust and they chose to collect paper clips because a paper clip was a symbol used by the Norwegians to show solidarity with their Jewish neighbors ...more
Liz
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on a recommendation from Susan. She said that she was going to visit this memorial on her way to visiting family through TN. I haven't heard about this Holocaust memorial, and this one is located fairly nearby in Whitwell, Tennessee. This is a children's book so it doesn't go into extreme details about what happened to the Jewish community during WWII. But, the story was still touching enough to bring tears to my eyes. I know that I can't even come close to imagining the horrors ...more
Skip
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust
Whitwell, Tennessee is a town of 1,600 located near Chattanooga. Most of the town's citizens are white, Anglo-Saxon and Protestant. Minorities can be counted on one hand. There are no foreigners there—and no Catholics, no Muslims, no Jews. There's a middle school, businesses, churches...and there is a German railroad car containing 11 million paper clips dedicated to the memory of Jews who died in the Holocaust, 1.5 million of whom were children under the age of 16.

How this memorial
Heather
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rls-520
This is a review for my multicultural title.

Six Million Paper Clips is an excellent look into how students in Whitwell, Tennessee learn tolerance. Through their endeavors, students develop a project that gained world-wide interest. This non-fiction piece is a wonderful supplement to any classroom studying the Holocaust. It can be used in conjunction with other non-fiction titles such as Surviving Hitler or Hana’s Suitcase. The authors Peter and Dagmar Schroeder produced a wonderful r
Euna Lee
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Six Million Paper Clips: The Making of a Children's Holocaust Memorial is a motivating story about the students, teachers, and community of Whitwell Middle School in Tennessee. Together, they learn about the atrocity of the Holocaust and build a memorial, collecting six million paper clips from near and far, representing each Holocaust victim. What started as an after school tolerance class project became a lifelong lesson how diversity and acceptance can be learned. It was most compelling to re ...more
Kristen
When I hear that 6 million Jews were killed during the Holocaust, I am horrified. But such a large number is hard to wrap my brain around. 6 million - so many people. When a small town in Tennessee sets out to teach their children tolerance, the students want to know what that horrible fact of the Holocaust really means.

They collect paper clips, one for each life lost. A paper clip is so small, seems so insignificant. But think: 6 million paper clips together weigh about 6 metric tons. The boxe
Tena Edlin
I had heard of the paper clip project, but I didn't know details. The English 8 class I co-teach is in the middle of their Holocaust unit, and I saw this book on the shelf. I read it in one sitting. Six million really is just a number to most kids. I love how this school found a way to put a life behind each little part of that number. Six million really means something to the kids in that school. Now I want to go and see the memorial!
Vicki
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
We saw the documentary, Paper Clips, several years ago and fell in love with the story. We cried with each discovery. This book is a wonderful companion to the video which tells the story of all the miraculous things that happened to help the desires of this small town to come true. If you haven't seen the video, you should. Reading this book by any age group will make anyone realize we all can make a difference for good.
Mike
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having had a chance to see the memorial while traveling with my family made reading the story of how it came to be that much more inspiring. I hope people everywhere will do what it says on the plaque before you enter the car : "We ask that you pause and reflect on the evil of intolerance and hatred."
Amy
Dec 21, 2009 added it
Excellent book for older children about not just the Holocaust, but also how a small group of students, anywhere in the world, can make a huge, far-reaching impact in the lives and hearts of others. If we're ever near the memorial in TN, I hope to stop.
Kathy
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very moving recounting of a middle school in Whitwell, Tennessee, who because they couldn't fathom the number 6 million (number of Jews killed during the Holocaust), collected 6 million paperclips and ultimately created a Children's Holocaust Memorial.
Katie
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Just bought this for my work library. It's a kids' book - read it in a few minutes, and cried lots of times. A great and inspiring read that reminds me that there IS goodness in this world, and that we have a lot to learn from children, I'm looking forward to watching the docementary soon.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Children in Whitwell, Tennessee, use an authentic railroad car used to transport Jews to the concentration camps to create a memorial to the Holocaust, with one paper clip for every person who was killed by the Nazis. Pair this with the documentary!
Cathy
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's amazing how such a simple things as collecting paper clips can make such an impact on millions of human beings. An outstanding object lesson that educated students on the horrors of World War II. I want to visit the train car memorial some day.
Laurie
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Powerful true story of a teacher/school that wanted to teach their students about the impact of the Holocaust. Lots of teacher resources/teaching ideas to go with this are on the web. Can be used to teach about the impact of hate when we let it live in our hearts.
Judy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
An incredible story of a small town 1600 people, who decide they want their children given diversity info... and this develops into a Children's Holocaust Memorial.
Easy & fast read.
Mandie
Oct 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
there are no words to describe this level of awesomeness
Sheryl
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A must to all lists of Holocaut literature for children.
Tracy Holland
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicely written, inspirational book about a memorial to the 11 million lives lost to the Holocaust.
Holocaust books for juveniles 1 3 Feb 17, 2008 07:57AM

• Anne Frank: The Anne Frank House Authorized Graphic Biography
  • Winter Sky
  • Crime Beat: A Decade of Covering Cops and Killers
  • Senile Squad: Adventures of the Old Blues
  • Click
  • You Go First
  • The Christmas Mystery (Detective Luc Moncrief, #2)
  • Threads of Suspicion (Evie Blackwell Cold Case #2)
  • The Giver: Graphic Novel
  • The Last Jew of Treblinka
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • Epidemic: Ebola and the Global Scramble to Prevent the Next Killer Outbreak
  • The Journey of the Lost Boys
  • New Kid
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1)
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King