Start by marking “It's Not About the Horse: It's About Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt” as Want to Read:
It's Not About the Horse: It's About Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

It's Not About the Horse: It's About Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt

Wyatt Webb is the creator of "The Equine Experience". This unique form of therapy blends horse sense with common sense. Wyatt uses the horse as a metaphor, explaining that how you relate to this animal will tell how you relate to all living things, hence the title "It's Not About The Horse". Using this analogy and case studies Wyatt shows the reader how to understand what ...more
Published September 15th 2003 by Hay House (first published August 2002)

To ask other readers questions about It's Not About the Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Not About the Horse

Start your review of It's Not About the Horse: It's About Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt
Neil Hepworth
Sep 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
My Prologue
Part of me feels bad that I’m going to rip into this book because, I mean c’mon, the dude is just trying to use horses to make a the world a better place. And I’m sure that he and his horses are wonderful at his job. But darnit, someone out there is is paying money to read this book! And so, here comes a review of this book that is so very filled with horse apples.

My Review
These 200 pages are not a book but a brochure. There is no actual wisdom dispensed here - just a few shallow, su
Karen
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On my fifth trip to Miraval last month, I finally got to do the Equine Experience - it always fills up fast. My last encounter with a horse landed me in the hospital with three broken ribs and a collapsed lung, so I was a little nervous about being so close to one (it wasn't the horse's fault, or mine) as well as what I might learn about myself.

I got Leo, a 27 year old brown beauty. The tasks are to get the horse to lift it's leg by squeezing the lower leg, clean the hoof, groom, then walk the
Sandra
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
I had the incredible privilege of being in Wyatt Webb's Equine Experience class, and It's Not About the Horse" class in Arizona. First of all, if you have an opportunity to visit Miraval in real life, sign up for these experiences. They are life changers. So of course I had to read Wyatt's book upon returning home.

Wyatt is a crusty, hard-talking, horse-handling, big-hearted guy, with the wisdom of Solomon. Originally from Georgia, he was a musician for years, wrestled with the twin demons of al
Janet
Author [[Wyatt Webb]]'s life went seriously off the rails as he was trying to become a professional musician. Although he had some success, he never got the big break he so badly wanted – instead his life spiraled downward with drugs and alcohol.

After completing a rehab program he was given a chance to be a councilor there. He became quite successful and at one point, ran a very large program.

But his heart was with horses, and he realized that horses reflect back the attitudes and blocks of the
Leslie Groberman
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to have someone recommend reading the book BEFORE I went to Miraval. Negative reviews of this book are people who simply don’t get it and there are other books out there more suitable for them. It was unbelievable how my horse experience paralleled by life - what I was doing that was “right” and what needed to be changed! I will always be thankful for the privilege I had to participate in the Equine experience
Amanda
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
It describes decently how horses are a mirror and can reflect back the emotions and thoughts of a person. There are a few nuggets of wisdom contained in the pages but it mostly boils down to “you give what you get.” It lost me when manifesting was discussed.
Connie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this book after doing a workshop with him. Not sure it would have the same effect, if you hadn't met the guy. I liked it!
Belle Meade School
Jan 14, 2020 marked it as 600-699-applied-science
616.89
Margot Note
"What you always find on the opposite side of fear and self-doubt is joy. Joy is our birthright--we're born with it. But it gets taken away from us and we have to go back and reclaim it" (7).

"'Whether or not you get what you're looking for depends on one thing and one thing only,' he said. 'It depends on your willingness to do something different'" (70).

"I heard famed writer and therapist Jacquelyn Small proclaim years ago that we're not human being having a spiritual experience, we're spiritu
LizG
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of down-to-earth, meaningful insight and incredible examples of what it takes to change our lives. Per Wyatt Webb, it's not that complicated: if what you're doing isn't working, do something different. I have to say, that approach always works for me (when I finally figure out that I'm hitting my head pointlessly against the wall).

Webb hits the nail on the head when he says fear and self-doubt are the source of our troubles as humankind. I've noticed that with a lot with coaching clients -
Brandi
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
After attending The Equine Experience at Miraval, I knew I wanted to read more about the work the Wyatt and his co-workers do. I was incredibly touched by the Experience and think of the effect it had on my daily. Reading Wyatt's own story and how he survived and triumphed makes me believe in the process even more. I enjoyed the stories he shared of past clients and the successes. I think I would have liked to read a few stories of those who struggled with the process, who didn't find immediate ...more
Lorna
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is helpful and interesting if you are looking for ways to overcome fear and self-doubt. The style is a woman tryingt to write the words of Wyatt Webb in his voice. It is about the content not the style of the book. It is a quick read and I did it in two sittings. I picked it up because a few years ago I went horseback riding because I knew I was afraid of horses and I knew that I wanted to connect with these animals. I knew it would shift my fears to courage. Working through your fears ...more
Jennifer Ricker
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a great book! There's a story in there for about every type of person. Wyatt actually makes one feel okay to be dysfunctional! His stories with his patients interacting with the horses are amazing! This is one of those books though, that anybody, horse-lover or not, could read and get something out of the experience! Wyatt writes like a real person standing next to you talking. Great book!
Krissy
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

I started reading this book in hopes it would help me get my confidence back after a horseback accident a few years back. I have been looking at my issues with my new horse from purely a training perspective. This book helped me reevaluate myself and my approach to ultimately develop a better relationship with my mare. After 30 years of equine experience I've never had such a good relationship with a horse - thank you, Wyatt.
Beth
Dec 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
I'd probably gfive it 2 1/2 stars. Quick read about a guy who developed a horse therapy to replace conventional therapy. Not sure I buy it, but it was interesting. Again, it all comes back to The Secret. You get what you give.

I could have skipped the first half of the book which was about his drug ridden, booze laden first 36 years.
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book doesn't really go into the therapy. Rather, it provides several examples of how horses can mirror what someone is feeling, which provides the person insight. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't exactly what I expected it to be.
Louise
Apr 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This a great book about accepting responsibility for your own life. He's straightforward and no nonsense! Ny friend met him and did his Equine Experience and said it was one of the best experiences of her life.
Jodi
Aug 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Reminded me of my experience at Miraval, but wish this book had delved a bit deeper into Wyatt's work. It was more about his experiences growing up and how he came to start working with horses, so it was more autobiographical in nature.
Julie
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it

Pretty good self help book. Mostly stories and some Bio. If you are a horse person, you might enjoy. He went through alot and still gives only a little detail. I did take away some good things from this book.
Letecia
Had some pearls of wisdom.
Tiffany
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I found this a very helpful book...a book giving me some personal growth and perspective of my own inner being. It brought me healing.
Tamilyn White
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Funny...it's not about other people either...
Olivia Kendell
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good. Good message.
Lisa Davis
Sep 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to follow a path of personal growth, this book will have some tools for your toolbox.It may not be the book everyone needs but it certainly was the one I needed.
katymoo
Kinda repetitive and poorly written, (and the typos in the Kindle edition! Shocking) but still an interesting story about the healing powers of man vs horse. A fast read, and it was worth my time.
Patresa
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Informative and entertaining exploration of therapeutic relationships between humans and horses. Wyatt Webb is a different kind of crusty cowboy. Refeshing.
Katie
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I meet and participated in one of his programs at Miraval retreat center in Arizona. It was a fabulous experience!! The book is interesting and a fairly quick read.
Jill
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
I work with the author of this book and teach the tenets of this book on a daily basis and I think it is a straightforward, no BS guide to decreasing stress and increasing joy in anyone's life.
Lindathrashercox.net
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good, food for thought
Carla Myers
Feb 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Just starting 1 2 May 23, 2008 09:17AM

• Inside Out
  • The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
  • An Unfinished Life
  • The Lion Tracker's Guide to Life
  • The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
  • Shackleton's Way: Leadership Lessons from the Great Antarctic Explorer
  • Alexandra David-Neel: Portait of an Adventurer
  • Buffalo Girls
  • The Tapping Solution to Create Lasting Change: A Guide to Get Unstuck and Find Your Flow
  • The Way of Abundance: A 60-Day Journey into a Deeply Meaningful Life
  • Happiness Is the Way: How to Reframe Your Thinking and Work with What You Already Have to Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Tao Made Easy: Timeless Wisdom to Navigate a Changing World
  • The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor
  • You Are What You Think: 365 Meditations for Extraordinary Living
  • In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox
  • Wild Mercy: Living the Fierce and Tender Wisdom of the Women Mystics
  • The Path Between Us: An Enneagram Journey to Healthy Relationships
  • Cowboys Are My Weakness: Stories

News & Interviews

“Whether or not you get what you're looknig for depends entirely on one things and one thing only. It depends on your willingness to do something different.” 4 likes
“But like most dreams, they end and you’ve got to wake up the next morning.” 0 likes