Start by marking “A Belle in Brooklyn: Advice for Living Your Single Life and Enjoying Mr. Right Now” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
As the go-to girl for relationship and dating advice, this real life Carrie Bradshaw and editor at "Essence "magazine shares the what-to-dos and what-not-to-dos for fabulous single living. With an award-winning popular blog and an "Essence "magazine platform, Demetria Lucas has become a relationship guru to millions of young women with plenty of simple, direct advice. Acco ...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about A Belle in Brooklyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Belle in Brooklyn

I always, ALWAYS try and keep an open mind when reading. I also try and keep an open mind in terms of the differences and similarities of married and single lives. I try and read lots of books on dating and single life, because they truly benefit relationships as a whole, and not just new ones. With all that being said, this book was a perfect fit for me.

First of all, I have to admit that what I enjoyed most about Ms. Lucas' Ms. Lucas. I may not agree with each and every philosophy or
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Despite being a subscriber to the author's blog for over two years, I was a little weary to pick this book up. I'm not big on "advice" books or paying jacket price for books. That all changed after reading the teaser on iTunes. I LOVED this book. It's more of a coming of age story with good solid advice. I even had a small "a-ha" moment. If you're a upwardly mobile, black single girl living in or near a large metropolitan city, you're going to find yourself both laughing with and empathizing wit ...more
M.C. Walker
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best relationship book I have ever read. The writers voice is young, refreshingly honest, and relateable. I could not put this book down. I really enjoyed taling the journey with the writer as she chased her dreams, discovered herself, and hoped for love. Demetria is real life black woman Carrie Bradshaw, u got to read this book with your girlfriends and save it for your daughters. :)
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I consider myself a rare breed.

I’m an African American twenty-something woman who grew up in the suburbs of Boston. Though I currently live in NYC, my roots (no matter how bougie I may have become) are what made me, and I hold tight to those.

In looking for things to relate to, I found there was a wide gap between Sex & the City and Girlfriends. This gap also exists between Teri McMillian and Jeannette Walls. I was searching for someone like me represented in media and she was nowhere to be
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
LOVED it! This is the book "Bitch is the new Black" aspires to be. Demetria (30+) reflects on her life as a twenty-something and what could have easily evolved into a nauseating "self-help" book is instead a charming, witty collection of stories. The author shares several aspects of her life including love, career, triumphs and pitfalls all while navigating through the crazy place that is NYC. All women can relate to at least one storyline in this book and I greatly recommend.
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very entertaining and offered some life lessons that you can incorporate in your own life or even cause you to think about relationships and interactions differently. It also offers some tips as well.
Deuce Bigelow
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
It wasn't at all what it presented itself to be but it was still a decent, easy read. I think it's pretty crazy that she's a "relationship expert" for Essence magazine though. Girlfriend has some serious issues.
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but to me it reads like a memoir, not a guide on how-to maximize your single life. I love Belle's writing and storytelling, but if you're looking for dating instructions, dont pick up this book. Read this book if you want to read witty, entertaining writing.
Reecee Rae
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
it was a nice book. wasn't what I was expecting but a good read
Jessica Washington
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, I will preface this review with stating the fact that I don't read nonfiction books in my downtime. I definitely do not read relationship books. But, since I love Essence magazine so much, I thought that a relationship book written by a black woman and the Essence relationships writer would be a great choice. I also need to let you know that I am obsessed with the state of Black America and all of the relationship info and media about black people in relationships, especially black women. I ...more
MeMe Willz
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was very excited about reading this book and even more excited when I read the great reviews by mostly everyone on here. However, I was highly disappointed when reading and after. I felt like I read different short stories of an individual and to make matters worst there was no coherent flow. The reader mainly spoke about her experiences and not offering that much advice to empower women. Okay we get it you wanted to live up and you live up.. But what did you learn from this that you would wan ...more
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I give this book and F! Fast, Fun, and Fabulous! It totally confirmed that all of my fantasies of living it up in the big city are possible if only I weren't too cheap to move to NYC. Parties, upon parties, cute shoes and sexy men? Sign me up!

This book met my long awaited desire for 'black girl chick lit'. I read a lot of chick lit...A LOT. I love a lighthearted and entertaining read (or movie). And while I have no problem with a young white lead character I do wish that there were more options
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and wish I could give it like 4.5 stars (I'm taking half a star off because I didn't like the ending or the way she did Greg lol). I read it as an advice book based on Lucas's experiences (all of which I'd love to have, I'm completely jealous of her lol). Unfortunately, the book was not so much about enjoying your single life or enjoying Mr. Right Now. Lucas never seemed to enjoy being single and she never seemed to really enjoy any of her Mr. Right Nows, though sh ...more
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have been following Demetria's work in Essence and I love it! It was only natural that I read her book and it was AMAZING!! At last, I finally get the whole "Sex and The City" craze! I was able to see myself, my sister, my best friends and a few Facebook updates right on the pages of her book. Like many women who aspire to live the fab life of a Manhattan socialite, I have lusted after Brooklyn for as long as I can remember! Soo exciting to have my very own Demetria ( I read she's not too fond ...more
May 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
I didn't like or even enjoy this book. I finished it because I don't like to leave things incomplete. I appreciated how the author spent her twenties chasing her dreams and dating, rather than settling as many women tend to do. Other than that, the book offered little else. It was simply pages and pages of her chronicling her mild dating experiences. Other than a short guest appearance by Suge Knight, her story is pretty bland.
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Belle in Brooklyn" offers a fresh, new perspective on dating.Instead of providing a list of Do's and Dont's, "A Belle in Brooklyn" is more of a "coming of age" story about a woman in her 30's. She takes us on a journey from naivete to self-awareness and self-love. I appreciate the inclusion of males' perspectives also to present well-rounded ideals.

Demetria comes off as personable, and readers can relate to her experiences. I would love to her more from Ms. Lucas!
B. Jones
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I bought this book because I love the relationship Demetria Lucas gave out through thousands online through her blog and other sources. Although the book really seems more like a set of short stories through out her life, it does offer some relationship and life advice. It's probably a book best suited for women with careers and living in big cities with lots of things to do. I'll probably be rereading it in the near future.
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
fun, light, casual read. at first, i thought Demetria to be pretentious, and was glad i borrowed this book from the library instead of purchasing it. however, she later showed some vulnerability which kept me reading. this book was definitely better than i expected and the stories made me laugh, say, "yes, girl" out loud, and gave me new cuisine for thought. considering adding it to my library. #notwastingmypretty
Maya Hollinshead
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great collection of short stories about Demetria's dating life, with some advice sprinkled along the way. My favorite short story was about her trip to LA, where she encountered a notorious music executive and a then up-and-coming NBA star (who gave her some wonderful advice). Great for those who are navigating their own adventures in dating.
Sha  Rhonda
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
A Belle in Brooklyn is funny, insightful and at some parts quite funny. For any of us who have had aspirations of heading to NYC to not only experience the thrive of the city, but to pursue our passions of fun and men, this book is a excellent read for that. It's also a great little dating 101 guide!
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read Demetria Lucas's blog of the same name. I find her funny and insightful. I didn't consider this advice per se. Although you could learn from her mistakes (as I am sure she did). I don't necessarily believe in getting dating advice from books. I'm sure most would agree trial and error is the way to go... That being said, I saw this book as a dating autobiography. I could commiserate.
Latarshia Mercer
Amazing read!

I thoroughly enjoyed and needed this gem! My only wish is that this guidebook was written earlier, so that I had the opportunity to benefit from these findings-life lessons in my early 20's. This book will be my gift to all younger nieces, cousins and friends, alike.
Amber Nofetari
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Long story short this book was awesome; a very juicy read. Lucas did a great job of recalling her relationships and experiences moving from a small town to the big city. This book is perfect for the young career girl trying to find love.
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: african-american
I really enjoyed this book. I didnt take it to be an advice book but moreso her adventures in dating and what she has learned thus far. Some of the lessons she has learned hit home for me. Especially the one, just because he is a great guy doesn't mean he is great for you.
Sep 17, 2011 rated it liked it
She’s no Carrie Bradshaw, but she has lived an interesting life with a few hilarious dating mishaps and adventures that most sociable Black women may... (check out for full review)
Cherisse L.
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I finally finished this book. I had been reading it on and off between my other fiction library books since I own this one. really enjoyed the last few chapters. great story, with sprinkles of advice inside.
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book's hilarious. She can be superficial and a bit vain at times when talking about her lifestyle, but the book is definitely worth the read. At the end of the day she's telling women to respect themselves, be open (and safe) when experiencing new things, and have fun. I loved it.
Pamela Sarratt
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of her daily blog; however, I'm not big on self-help books so I was a little nervous about reading this but I was happily surprised and entertained! This is definitely not your typical self-help/advise book. Great read!
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick, light and enjoyable read. I could relate very well to a lot of the stories as I think most of my girlfriends would. If you are looking for a beach read I think this is a great choice.
Jun 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Good read; well written. I just didn't feel like I was in the place in my life to read it yet though. It didn't have that much effect on me like I wanted it to have. That's why I gave it a lower rating, but it was in all a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Black Woman Redefined: Dispelling Myths and Discovering Fulfillment in the Age of Michelle Obama
  • Single Girl Summer
  • Super Rich: A Guide to Having It All
  • 51/50 The Magical Adventures of a Single Life
  • The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Eva's Man
  • Platinum
  • Girl, Make Your Money Grow!: A Sister's Guide to Protecting Your Future and Enriching Your Life
  • The Conversation: How Black Men and Women Can Build Loving, Trusting Relationships
  • Kinky Gazpacho: Life, Love & Spain
  • Satin Doll
  • City Chic: An Urban Girl's Guide to Livin' Large on Less
  • Nappy Hair
  • Unbought And Unbossed
  • Successful Women Think Differently: 9 Habits to Make You Happier, Healthier, and More Resilient

Nonfiction Deals