Start by marking “Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide” as Want to Read:
Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide

"The best guide to the Metasploit Framework." —HD Moore, Founder of the Metasploit ProjectThe Metasploit Framework makes discovering, exploiting, and sharing vulnerabilities quick and relatively painless. But while Metasploit is used by security professionals everywhere, the tool can be hard to grasp for first-time users. Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide fills th ...more
Published July 22nd 2011 by No Starch Press (first published July 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Metasploit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metasploit

Michael
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: security
Where to start? The Metasploit Framework (MSF) is a very popular penetration testing tool used by security professionals the world over. It was previously written in Perl but underwent a complete rewrite for version 3, where the developers switched the project to Ruby. The tool unifies the various stages of penetration testing in convenient interfaces (“msfconsole” for interactive use and “msfcli” for scripting purposes): information gathering and storage, exploit and payload configuration, IDS ...more
Timo
Jan 20, 2012 rated it liked it
A good introductory to the different ways of using Metasploit. Since I had already some previous experience using Metasploit my favorite chapters were the one covering usage of Meterpreter and how to create your own module or how to port your own exploits to Metasploit framework. In the end of the book there was also a nice chapter how to set up a small and vulnerable network for testing different attacks which I also found a good addition to the book.
M. Cetin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is not just about Metasploit. It is also a great InfoSec and Pen. Testing book. A must read for anyone who wants to get into or master the field. No repetitions, well written, full of examples.
Ben Richards
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great, easy to read and follow along with introductory book for Metasploit. As someone who had previous knowledge, I still enjoyed reading this book from start to finish in order to cement Concepts I knew and learn things I didn’t.
Mahendra
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
i want to read this.
John Nye
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infosec
I have gone through a paper copy of this book (that is exceedingly rare for me) that was much marked-up, dog-eared, and falling apart before I bought the Kindle version. Still one of the most useful reference books I use as a go-to whenever I get the pleasure of using Metasploit again. Lately, I have been doing more speaking and writing. But anyone who is a penetration tester looking to add to their library should absolutely have this book. Not only is it terribly informative, Dave does an amazi ...more
عَبدُالكَرِيمْ
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: penttest, hacking
Probably one of the best penetration testing books I have ever read. You will need basic linux knowledge and a backtrack distro to be able to get most of this book. It first teaches you the basics of Metasploit then you go deeper and deeper.

some of the commands are outdated however I am pretty sure a hacker like you can manage to get him/herself updated.

And remember: Hugs are always better than handshakes !!;-)
Allyn
Aug 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I have occasionally played Metasploit with friends and recently started playing at home, so this seemed like a good guide. The first chapter adds some interesting commentary to the storyline but can be skipped by those not completely interested in the thin plot. Other than that, this book is a standard walkthrough with some hints and easter eggs. My biggest complaint is that even after reading this book cover to cover, I'm still trying to figure out how to beat this game.
Eric Gragsone
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I mainly picked this up for the chapter on the Social-Engineering Toolkit, but I felt much of the content for both SET and Metasploit was already well documented online (http://www.offensive-security.com/met...). But if you prefer serial content over hyperlinked, then this is a decent version.
Alex
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Its too short, mostly novice tutorials.

Last chapters on exploit development / adapting side exploits for Metasploit Framework and scripting were best but still too thin.

This book is more like introduction articles on Metasploit / SET / Fast Track / etc. Such famous authors could write multiple thousand+ pages volumes on each topic for good I think.
F
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hacking
it's the best book that's i ever read it .. it's open my eyes to sea everything that's i wasn't sea it before ..
i really enjoy to read all the book and i was so sad because the book is finish ! ..
and know i recommend every one to read this book to know how thing work and to sea the world in really life ..
thaks to u Devid kenndy FOR the writting the book and shared whit us !
Charles Bellefleur
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book serves as an excellent way to learn the Metasploit framework. Very clear and detailed information, well explained and a great structure makes it easy to follow and assimilate. Only chapter that could have been better is the "real-life example of a complete pen test".
Randy
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Along with nMap and Burpsuite, one of the indispensable tools of the trade. So much more to learn - the firehose never turns off, one just learns to take larger gulps at a time. Waving, not drowning.
Jason
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although the principles within this book are still relevant and very helpful, the book is outdated and a revised version hasn't been published. An even newer version of Metasploit is being released at DEFCON 23 which will further make this book obsolete.
Joe Visconti
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it
A very technical book that can get you up and running on metasploit; if you are patient
William
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Covers everything you need to know about the Metasploit framework. No more no less. I liked it.
Richard Wall
Jun 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very informative book. I'm a system administrator and found the information very helpful when trying to secure a network from outside attack.
Justin Andrusk
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: security
Great starter book for the MSF.
Sien
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Its david kennedy you really can't say any thing else. Your going to get the best from the best.
Patrick
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fantastic resource. I think that if I worked in the field, I'd make this a book to reread regularly. Each time you'd pick out more useful details.
Wolfgang Barthel
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Metasploit books out there. It covers the basics but also some more advanced stuff very useful in my daily pentesting live out there :)
Pranshu Bajpai
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: info-sec
Awesome book for anyone new to Metasploit framework. Also check out the Metasploit unleashed tutorials on official website.
Billy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is great for anyone trying to pick up advanced metasploit methodology. Great as a reference and for first timers that want a complete walk through.
Ankit
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A must read for all exploit development enthusiasts and penetration testers. More of a handbook to keep by your side.
Tom
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was great but it is quickly dated. A lot of the information is now online but that is ok its still a great place for a beginner to start.
L3ghost
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book but, it is outdated. For people wanting to read this book, I recommend reading the manual thats in Kali(new bt5).
Kenneth Miller
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bought this with IASP scholarship money. Read it front to back, was not required by any class.
Ahmed Alkatheeri
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good book for beginning to learn penetration testing from gathering informaiton to covering tracks. Also it has many examples of how to use Metasploit framework on hacking scenarios. However, if example not work you can find alternative tutorials for specific section using Google.
Patrick Vinge
Jan 12, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
Good reference. Little dated now
Dan
Dec 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: calibre
"The best guide to the Metasploit Framework."\nHD Moore, Founder of the Metasploit Project
\n\n

The Metasploit Framework is a powerful suite of tools that security researchers use to investigate and resolve potential network and system vulnerabilities. Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide shows readers how to assess networks by using Metasploit to launch simulated attacks that expose weaknesses in their security.

Not understanding the Test Network 1 5 Dec 24, 2014 09:41AM

• Nmap Network Scanning: The Official Nmap Project Guide to Network Discovery and Security Scanning
  • Practical Malware Analysis: The Hands-On Guide to Dissecting Malicious Software
  • The Practice of Network Security Monitoring: Understanding Incident Detection and Response
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Practical Packet Analysis: Using Wireshark to Solve Real-World Network Problems
  • Gray Hat Hacking: The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
  • The Rootkit Arsenal: Escape and Evasion in the Dark Corners of the System
  • Violent Python: A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • The Shellcoder's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Holes
  • Malware Analyst's Cookbook and DVD: Tools and Techniques for Fighting Malicious Code
  • Backtrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing Beginner's Guide
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy
  • Counter Hack Reloaded: A Step-By-Step Guide to Computer Attacks and Effective Defenses
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“be creative, adapt quickly, and rely on your wits instead of automated tools.” 0 likes