Start by marking “Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out” as Want to Read:
Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out

Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out

From the bestselling coauthor of Chicken Soup for the Womans Soul and a leading contributor to The Secret comes a fresh, new, and practical program for finding and maintaining true happiness.
Published January 1st 2008 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy for No Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy for No Reason

K.D. Absolutely
Quite an inspiring book. Marci Shimoff is the woman's face of the biggest self-help book phenomenon in history, Chicken Soup for the Soul. Her six bestselling titles in the series, including Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul and Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul, have met with stunning success, selling more than 13 million copies worldwide in 33 languages and have been on the New York Times bestseller list for a total of 108 weeks. Marci Shimoff is one of the bestselling female nonfiction autho ...more
Yaya
Feb 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My mother read this and recomended for me to read it after she was done.
When I came home from school, my mother was reading this on the couch.
I anounce my return and head for my room, my mom calls me so I turn around to look at her.
"I LOVE YOU SWEET HEART"
smiling
that was just odd in a non-flatering way
"ok...."
she giggles in my response, which makes the hair on my arms to stand up.
Whats gotten into her?
Is she sick? Did she just lose it while I was at school?
I ask her and she goes on about ho
Kristal Cooper
I truly believe that ANYone with ANY level of happiness could read this book and end up a genuinely happier person. The author gives a couple dozen techiniques for making small paradigm shifts that will very casually lighten your load and outlook. If you do all of the exercises with a different issue in mind for each, you'll be amazed at the difference in your heart and soul when you finally close the book. What's great about her comprehensive approach is that something that works for me may not ...more
Diane
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books-read
Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out, Marci Shimoff is an audio book that arrive recently from Paperback Swap.

“According to the World Health Organization, the year 2020 will see depression become second only to heart disease in terms of the global burden of illness”. I was shocked by this statistic, and was anxious to learn more. The book combines research studies with the case histories and practices of many individuals and cultures

Studies show that each of us has a "
Kara Lane
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Marci Shimoff has written a great book on how to be unconditionally happy. Using stories from her own life and from the 100 genuinely happy people she interviewed, she demonstrates how it's possible to be happy regardless of external circumstances.

She provides 21 "happiness habits" that can be practiced by anyone to help them achieve deep and lasting happiness, rather than the fleeting kind based on external things that so many people experience today. Some of my favorites are:
- Focus on solutio
Karen
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book contains a number of suggestions/exercises to help you see and appreciate the good things in life, along with stories of people who embody the principles discussed. Many of these are things that I already knew, however, this book brings them all together and gives steps to practice these. I enjoyed the stories and have been trying to be conscientious about practicing the actions outlined in the book. I find that they really help lift me out of a bad mood. I like having so many practica ...more
Sophie
"When you’re Happy for No Reason you bring happiness to your outer experiences rather than trying to extract happiness from them. You don’t need to manipulate the world around you to try to make yourself happy. You live from happiness, rather than for happiness..."

Through the seven areas of personal power, mind, heart, body, soul, purpose and people Marci Shimoff walks you through happiness habits you can work into your daily life to help you achieve a state of inner peace and well-being. She sh
MK
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
I remember skimming the library self-help section in a brain-dead daze. I was twelve? no, thirteen-years-old? when I read this book.

As hard as it is to believe, I was suffering from severe depression. No, it was not your typical "teenage blues". It wasn't just a "phase" instigated by hormones and other bullshit that adults tried to drill into my head...I just felt like my life was lacking meaning and purpose, and well...who doesn't want to be ultimately happy?

So I checked this book out from the
Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Life is filled with ups and downs. Every so often, we have those wonderful, almost magical, moments that are particularly sweet. In one instant, we are completely filled with joy. Everything is right with the world.

Then, something happens. The moment fades. We are back to just being ourselves. The joy is quickly forgotten. We go back to our mundane lives.

I think we've all wondered what life would be like if we managed to keep that wonderful feeling. We know, of course, that happiness brought o
Kim Olver
Jul 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't say enough great things about this book. I LOVED this book. What attracted me to it initially was the subtitle--talking about being happy from the inside out. My avid readers know Inside Out Empowerment is all about an inside out transformation of your life. So, I picked up the book and read it in record time.

I loved it because Marci used research to make her point. She interviewed 100 people she determined to be happy from the inside out to learn their secrets to success. She then summa
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book. If you have not gotten to the point in your life of, "How can I be truly happy?" than this is NOT the book for you. This book is for the one who is dedicated to fulfilling their own life, and willing to take the necessary steps to get there. I have, and this book has helped me in so many ways. All 2008 I was searching for happiness, and finally turned to books that I thought would help, in turn found this book, and also was led to the study of Kabbalah, which is so awesome! ...more
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book to read over the holidays when life can make you blue.
Marci wrote this book to try to coach people to find happiness in life.
For no reason.
Many of her suggestions I took to heart and it helped me through a heard time. She co-authored “The Secret” and “Chicken Soup for the Women’s Soul”.
Her advise taught the reader to find good in bad situations, how to NOT be the friend who complains constantly and the power of attraction. You attract people like you. If you are a downer, d
Victor
Mar 20, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Fans of transformational speakers
Shelves: nonfiction
There may be nuggets of wisdom in Happy for No Reason, but finding them requires a high level of tolerance for new age psychobabble, mysticism, and motivational/transformational speak. (Not to mention unnecessary capitalization of Common Concepts and copious references to other transformational speakers, programs, seminars, and books.) Although the first three chapters were relatively tolerable, it was downhill from there. I think Chapter 7 was when my gag reflex really kicked in and I had to st ...more
Melissa Wadsworth
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Marci Shimoff searches the world of joy seekers and discontent mendors to offer up an amazing array of techinques and tools that can help raise your happy meter. This is one of those books that offers something for everyone. If one tool doesn't work or resonate another one will. She has done all the foot work to bring you her own personal transformation and journey toward increased happiness. Needless to say, it's a happy, hopeful read.
Hava
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people battling depression
Recommended to Hava by: patrons at the library

"Happy for No Reason: 7 Steps to Being Happy from the Inside Out" by Marci Shimoff is one of the better self-help books that I’ve read (although, I’ll confess, I really haven’t read that many). She’s down to earth, funny, and self-deprecating. She even uses cartoons...

Click here to continue
Hayley  Brentmar
Jan 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
update- Too up'ity self helpy. Glad it was just a library freebee!
I've just skimmed the beginning, but so far this lady REALLY wants you to know that she was a contributor to Chicken Soup for the Women's Soul and that she had something to do with the book The Secret. Oy... not a good way to build credibility with me. At least it's a library book. But, it got such good reviews that I'll give it a little longer.
Luís
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When i bought it i had a different idea how it would be. I don't like this kind of "help" book. I thought it would be a fun reading but instead give us a list of instructions to be happy. Not my thing. Write things that make us feel unhapy, etc. But reading the reviews from here, maybe i need to give it a second chance.
Synthia Green
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When you're Happy for No Reason, you bring happiness to your outer experiences rather than trying to extract happiness from them. You don't need to manipulate the world around you to try to make yourself happy. You live from happiness, rather than for happiness.
Vicki
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Do not judge this book by its cover. Littered with personal stories from the "Happy 100", this book shows the depth of research and understanding the author has on the subject of being happy for no reason. If you are looking to be that person, then this book is for you.
Pattimaris1675 Aolcom
This book is outstanding. It not only is good reading, but it tells you how to be happy. Great read!
Maria Gross
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Happy is good. Why not be happier!? I figured that this would be a good read. She does mention meditation a lot which I recently started practicing this spring. She does reference looking at the "workbook" materials a lot which I feel like these should be available online instead of having to load a CD and accessing PDFs hence 4/5 stars. And like most self-help books, it mentions strategies for dealing with negative people which I found helpful.
Donna
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a book I needed to read in order to check off a box on a book challenge I'm doing this month. I liked the positive foot this started off on. But then it started to feel long because there was no variation....it was the same all throughout. I don't think I'd feel this same way, if I had actually read the pages. Since I did the audio...it sounded like so much of the same.

It was positive, and the basic message was happiness is attitude. So 3 stars.
Pamela Fernandes
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I listened to the audio version of this book and the author's interviews. The sound's not that great but there were parts I liked and parts I skipped.
Marci who also co-authors Chicken Soup for the Soul says don't wait for x or y to be happy. It's a choice and you have to choose to be happy for no reason now. Some points that I liked:
Happiness first, money will follow.
Whatever you are, be a good one.
Happy people knew the what and why about their purpose but not the how
The myth of now!
Anchor yo
Boomers Gems
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book awhile ago, just wanted to document it on Goodreads now. Written in 2008, Marci appears in the movie, The Secret, which is probably why this book stood out to me. Lots of good info inside. If choosing to being happy is a struggle, she offers lots to think about.
Margaret A. Sweeney
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good mental kick in the pants to think positively and
live life with intention and to pay attention to things that really matter.
Who knew Goldie Hawn has been meditating since the '70's?
Quieting the mind, sending lovingkindness to the world, loving yourself.
That about covers it.
Amani
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 STARS. I think when I go back and also use the PDF's, my rating will increase.This is a good pop on a growing topic. Enjoyed it. Thanks Jack!
Sonia
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-better-me
Good read with short memoirs injected. Enjoyable and thoughtful
Tiffany
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Informative and inspirational. A great read to increase perspective and awareness.
Lovviner
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This a great book to show you how to look at the positive side.
Lina
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun easy to read and very inspirational !
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book listed multiple times 1 17 Feb 05, 2014 11:00AM

• Life Makeovers: 52 Practical & Inspiring Ways to Improve Your Life One Week at a Time
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
  • Follow Your Passion, Find Your Power: Everything You Need to Know about the Law of Attraction
  • Harmonic Wealth: The Secret of Attracting the Life You Want
  • Getting Organized: Improving Focus, Organization and Productivity
  • The Joy Diet: 10 Daily Practices for a Happier Life
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World
  • Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life
  • Berjalan Menembus Batas (Man Jadda Wajada Series, #1)
  • Be Happy!: Release the Power of Happiness in YOU
  • The Power of Decision
  • Do What You Love, the Money Will Follow: Discovering Your Right Livelihood
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • Job Interviews For Dummies
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • 501 Decorating Ideas Under $100
  • Thresholds of the Mind
“Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine. —Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher” 4 likes
“Who is rich? He who is happy with his lot. —The Talmud Most” 2 likes