Start by marking “Winter Wedding” as Want to Read:
Winter Wedding

Winter Wedding

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Clara Christopher had met Lord Allingcote several years previously at a houseparty, when he had chosen her as his flirt. But he'd disappeared from her life, and now reappeared escorting the outrageously beautiful Nel Muldoon to a wedding for his cousin. Though his lordship still had eyes for Clara, she had no intention of ignoring the troublesome Nel.
Mass Market Paperback, 219 pages
Published October 29th 1990 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about Winter Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter Wedding

Linda
Miss Clara Christopher was a rolling stone. Orphaned ten years earlier and poor as a church mouse, she charted her life amongst relatives and friends. Clara visited only those people whom needed her. At two and twenty, she felt she had roughly three years left before she would have to find work: perhaps, as a paid companion.

At present, she was temporarily residing at the Lucker residence: Branlea. Her cousin, Baron Oglethorpe, was marrying Lady Prissie Lucker. Clara was helping prepare for the
Lyuda
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
After reading dark, angst books lately I wanted to re-read one of my “comfort books”. The book is one of my favorite books by one of my favorite regency writer. It takes place in the country estate right after Christmas. The main characters are wonderful, with great chemistry and delightful banter. There are a lot of funny, satirical moments with secondary characters.
Nefise
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was very enjoyable and plain story that I had good time.
Amy
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Once I started I was up until 4 am to finish it. So I'm giving it five stars for being awesome and making me happy. Now for the disclaimer - it's not great literature. It's happy fluffly fluff with extra fluff. I highly recommend it if you are interested in well written fluffly fluff.
Luli
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can find this review in English below.

Entretenida y tierna historia de amor y de segundas (según el punto de vista) oportunidades entre una chica sin apenas familia ni recursos y un Lord que perdió la cabeza por ella a primera vista.

Me ha encantado Clara, la heroína. Es una mujer paciente, inteligente, amable…y me encanta el mote que Lord Allingcote le pone: tumbleweed. Muy apropiado.

También me ha gustado Lord Allingcote. A pesar de Nell. Me gusta cuando es él que está enamoradito perdido
CatBookMom
Found this to be quite good, very enjoyable. Just squeaks into a 4-star rating.
Pterodactyl
I swore I would read less HR when I created this account so that my dignity would be spared under public eye but nope.

Story was cute? MC was too... plain? She's described as a pretty orphan, but her personality and characterisation feels one dimensional. Does she enjoy mindless tasks that she never complains? How did she feel when her parents died? She's so... generic--frustratingly passive at times, but likeable enough--that you can literally put anyone on her position, and things would still m
Maren
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 * A fun, light novel with some good characters and funny lines--a nice diversion for the dead of winter. :) Recommended for anyone who loves Georgette Heyer.
Let's start with what I liked about this book. It is completely clean, both in content and language, which is very appreciated by me. There was also no real ow/om drama, and the H was true to the h, (view spoiler). This was a very sweet story.

Now to move on to the things that I didn't entirely enjoy. This was an entirely quiet book. The plot was quiet, the h was calm and, you guessed it, quiet, and even the ending was quiet. Even the angry or joyous
Mela
This time Joan Smith gave me a sweet love story. To be precise, she gave me a hero who made me swoon ;-) His love is so romantic. The novel would have been even more romantic if it had been written in a different way. If it had described chronologically the whole romance, instead of recollections of the first part of the romance. But still, it is hard not to want to be loved in a way like Allingcote loved.

So, for me Allingcote was the most important element of the story. Next to him were other (
Chamrie Andrews
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have been on the hunt for another good regency novel. Unfortunately, the regency time period is a favorite for trashy authors. It was quite refreshing to come across this cute and sweet little love story. It was clean and fun, and I hope I will like her other books as well.
Felicitas
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clean regency romance. Just like good old Georgette Heyer, though not really, because no one is quite like her. Good maybe (though often enough not, if one is honest), but always different ;P
I very much enjoyed reading this book.
Because:
The heroine and hero are very likeable. Clara is very sensible but not dull, self-assured but not pushy, not angsty although her social and economical position depends on her relatives' goodwill, and has a nice sense of humour. (Most of the story is tol
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok, let me start off by saying that I normally very much enjoy Joan Smith's Regency era stories - the heroines are likable and sure of themselves, the heroes are interesting and not always the same cardboard cutout duke or earl or marquis. And this time around those attributes were all there BUT I was bothered with the way the male and female characters were too informal with each other and how they were ok with being alone together in a carriage or a even dark room, ha. It pulled me out of the ...more
Kitcatscratch
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute as can be...

I really never review a story as cute. In fact "cute" is typically what you say when you don't care to say much. But in this case I felt the story to be a good solid read. Nothing overly stressful or emotionally draining which I confess I sometimes need. But not a shallow story either which leaves you unsatisfied.

The heroine C!are is truly likable. A woman of little to no means she must rely on the charity of re!ations. You don't feel sorry for her because she doesn't feel sorr
Sarah Cosentino
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and sweet!
Really enjoyable read...I so loved the interactions between Clara and Ben throughout! But, I did feel the ending was a little abrupt, I would have liked to have seen more of them as a couple; when the last page came, I didn't want their story to end!!
Cindy
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love these old regency romances if they're good, and this one was. These are what make a good rr for me: Witty dialogue, amusing supporting characters, h and h spend lots of time together, clean romance. Read most of this sitting on a cruise ship balcony in the Bahamas. Heaven.
Saadia Mo
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Light fun read! Great as an "in between book". I like that Clara wasn't silly enough to excuse Nel's nonsense just because she's young and an orphan. I'm not a fan and of excusing bad behaviour just because of "ones circumstances" in life.
Holly
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of Joan's Best

This was a delightful read. Both the hero and the heroine are likable and the plot revolves around a wedding on the cheap and a hoyden. Lots of fun!
Sandra
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
Cute basic traditional regency. You kind of have to ignore the whole bit about them only meeting for 3 days, two years ago though...idk how 3 days would be enough to fall madly in love and then hunt for a woman across the country for two years.

Aside from that, it's a light read. Has fun moments, has moments you want to strangle secondary characters (who never do get what they deserve grrrrr).

I really enjoyed Clara, who is the poor relation who shuffles from household to household, but she never
Kym Licup
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was really lots of fun. The banter was witty, supporting characters well done. The males protagonist was portrayed so human--with insecurities, misperceptions, but I rooted for him the whole time. The heroine was also well-done. She wasn't portrayed as bitter despite her tragedies and life's bad luck. She spoke of her host's quirks, but still said, despite all those, Clara liked her a lot. We all have friends like that...where you aren't quite sure why you like them-- but you do!
As a p
P.
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
While it was a bit interesting to have the main characters already in love then lose track of each other for two years [not the actual instance, mind you, but the concept] neither character is even mildly charismatic and I didn't care whether and then when they connected again.The hero is a bit odd and the heroine bland. There's also and amazingly spoiled heiress, but she's just not credible. Not worth the read unless you are in the grips of total boredom, although this one might just intensify ...more
Miriam
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kindle
Mikka Azores
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I think a person can relate to Clara Cristopher if they knew a flirt or even flirts that was part of their special someone's life. The flirt, Nel Muldoon, annoyed me which only proves that Joan Smith wrote the character well.
Monique
Feb 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the most ridiculous I've ever read.
Half the time, the guy came off as a creepy psychopath who, after knowing the girl for three days, decided she must not look at any one else but him. The other half of the time, he was much too familiar and emotional on such a short term of acquaintance.
ladydusk
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kindle. 3.5 stars. A pleasant Regency era romance between more serious reading. Nice diversion, worth watching for others.
Marisella
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
A sweet, nicely written Regency piece. I loved Clara and Ben, especially the rogueish Ben at the end. very good read
Jane
4.55 stars - pg13?
Elen
Jul 08, 2016 rated it liked it
It's not bad, maintained my focus the whole time reading, but there's something significant lacking.
Sarah Bean
Apr 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is one of Joan Smith's better regencies. And available, like all of hers, on Kindle.
Johnna Cornett
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
silly fun. I think I've been reading one 1970s regency romance a day for the last four months, as etext on my phone. This one is more charming than usual.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lady Whilton's Wedding
  • Fallen Angel
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • The Wooing of Miss Masters
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #2)
  • Lady with a Black Umbrella
  • Marrying Harriet (The School for Manners, #6)
  • Miss Whittier Makes a List
  • The Tyrant (The Golden Chronicles, #3)
  • Never Love A Lawman (Reidsville, #1)
  • The Phantom Lover
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • The Gypsy Heiress
  • Red Adam's Lady
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
Joan Smith is a graduate of Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, and the Ontario College of Education. She has taught French and English in high school and English in college. When she began writing, her interest in Jane Austen and Lord Byron led to her first choice of genre, the Regency, which she especially liked for its wit and humor.
Her favorite travel destination is England, where she res
More about Joan Smith

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Trouble (St. James, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Fire (Dragonfury, #1)
  • Absolution
    $3.99 $1.99
  • My Dearest Love (Longing for Home)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Choices (The Love's Valley #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fury of Surrender (Dragonfury, #6)
  • Secrets in Summer: A Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Walkin' on Clouds (Angels & Outlaws, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Best Kind of Broken (Finding Fate, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unbreak My Heart (Fostering Love #1)
  • The Secret Wife
  • OBSESSION
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Chances (The Love's Valley #3)
  • Nearlyweds
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Sweet Resolve (Lucky, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Promises (The Love's Valley #5)