Start by marking “Poems Bewitched and Haunted” as Want to Read:
Poems Bewitched and Haunted

Poems Bewitched and Haunted

A delightfully ghoulish array of specters and sorceresses, witches and ghosts, hags and apparitions haunt these pages–a literary parade of phantoms and shades to add to the revelry of All Hallow’s Eve.

From Homer to Horace, Pope to Poe, Randall Jarrell to James Merrill, Poems Bewitched and Haunted draws on three thousand years of poetic forays into the supernatural. Ovid co
Published September 13th 2005 by Everyman's Library

To ask other readers questions about Poems Bewitched and Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems Bewitched and Haunted

Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really enjoyed this collection. The poems definitely gave me eerie and spooky vibes. I loved how there were sections of poems about witches, ghosts, spells, dangerous lovers and other apparitions. A great variety. There were many poems I really enjoyed, particularly those by Madison Cawein and "Spectral Lovers" by John Crowe Ransom. This is my favorite Everyman's Library Pocket Poets collection so far!
Alice Lippart
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2015
A good poetry collection with a nice variety of styles and authors.
James
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect poems for Halloween.
Madame Jane
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
When, like a lunatic, all bare
The moon lets awn its mystic hair
Of cold, enraging light,
You wrap your features in the hide
Of animals, and smoothly glide
Abroad into the night

~ Pierre de Ronsard "Invective Against Denise, A Witch"

Bought at the Salem Witch Museum in Salem, MA
Claudia DL
Oct 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Some truly set the mood, some are not even about the holiday but just spooky and others seem off the mark. But it's worth it for the gems. Reading level is high and challenging, and I'm the one who enjoyed Homer and mucked through most of the Aenied in college. I read Edgar Allen Poe for fun. Think academic and old-school. Most of these poems needed two reads to just get a base comprehension. You should read each twice or even thrice, in order to first get the words and movement of the scene, th ...more
Olivia
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Anyone who knows me, knows I would gladly live in a land where it is fall all year round! When I cam across John Hollander's anthology of fall and macabre themed poetry, it was a no brainer that I would pregame the coming season by indulging in its pages.

While reading the collection I made note of the poems that stuck out to me (for various reasons), and out of the sum total, 29 stood out. I will list them at the end of this review, for future use and for other's interests.

But one line, in the
Sonatajessica
This book is just the cutest little thing to have lying about over the month of Halloween with its pumpkins and orange design. So cute. It might have been a cover buy which I never do, and technically my husband bought this during a Halloween trip to New Orleans, so I am still good on my claim to not do cover buys.

It took me two whole Octobers and a few extra days to finish it, it is more of a dip-in/ dip-out type of collection of classic poetry with spooky themes. Old fashioned poetry is not a
Lisa Lynch
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this up to give me a little taste of Halloween in July. I was unhappy with the selection of poems here. There are far too many ancient and/or translated poems and far too few from poets I've heard of. A majority of the poems here barely fit the "Bewitched and Haunted" title. I can't deny that there were some good poems here, but I was really surprised at how old most of them were. Worst of all, this collection did not give me that taste of Halloween I was looking for.
Crystal
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just love this little book of poems celebrating the season! Some authors included are Edgar Allan Poe, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Shakespeare, Keats and numerous others. It's very entertaining whether you are alone or at a gathering. Great for sitting around the fireplace on a chilly evening! This little book has something for everyone! A definite to include in your library if you're a fan of the haunted and bewitching!
Stacia
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-physical, poetry, 2017
Despite being a visually stunning book, I'm still just not a big fan of poetry. As I read it, I marked my progress here to note any poems I particularly liked. It took me 106 pages to find the first one.

Highlights for me:

The Fearful Traveler in the Haunted Castle - George Moses Horton
The Erl-King - Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
The Ghost's Petition - Christina Rosetti
The Haunter - Thomas Hardy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-don-t-own
Odd collection. Some really good poems and then some random ones and a lot of translations.
Rachel Earling-Hopson
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Little Orphan Annie will getcha if you don't watch out!!
Kari
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-drama
I bought this collection on a Halloween whim a few years ago. It's packed with a whole array of spooky poems from a great variety of writers such as Emily Dickinson, Thomas Hardy and Robert Graves to name a few. Like most poetry collections it's the kind of book perfect for dipping in and out of whenever the need for a ghostly tale is upon you! It was also a pleasant surprise to find a couple of my favourites in there, particularly 'The Apparition' by John Donne which follows the idea of Donne r ...more
Oswego Public Library District
Poems Bewitched and Haunted is a creepy little book of verse. This amusing collection is made up of many different poets including: Homer, Shakespeare, Thomas Hardy, Dickinson, and of course, Edgar Allan Poe. Poems about witches, haunted places, ghosts, and more are separated into categories making this book easy to browse through. Definitely recommended to those who love a good scare. - JM

Place a hold on Poems Bewitched and Haunted.
Molly
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of poems. A very wide range of authors, and I liked how they were sorted by subject. Some of the poems are very eerie while others are quite humorous, so there's certainly a wide range here. I'd recommend this to the Halloween fan (and reader) as well as to anyone who very much enjoys poetry overall.
Ever
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun, little (very little) book of poetry that gets brownie points for including classical Latin and Greek authors. I especially enjoyed the section on "Hags and Beauties", and have a list of new poets I need to check out.
Janet
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Even non-poetry lovers will find something to enjoy in this volume. I’m not a huge poetry nut, but these poems are right up my alley. Already plotting to purchase my very own copy for next All Hallow’s Eve.

Tressa23
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely little book with a nice selection.
Holly
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good for Halloween time!
John Geddie
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It was actually sort of a fun read, but the dominance of old English and translated works probably means I won't be returning to read it again.
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection and very fun to read.
Maggie Millus
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A nice collection of spooky poems. A good book to read on Hallow's Eve with a glass of wine.
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
i didnt like the olde writing too much but i did enjoy the majority of the poems
Suzanne
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite rereads every Halloween season.
Ashley Wheeler
Feb 24, 2019
Randa Mathias
Oct 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Krampus and the Old, Dark Christmas: Roots and Rebirth of the Folkloric Devil
  • A Christmas Story: Behind the Scenes of a Holiday Classic
  • A Taste for Nightshade
  • The Cosy Christmas Teashop
  • Layered: Baking, Building, and Styling Spectacular Cakes
  • City of Secrets
  • Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams (#2)
  • The Christmas Promise