Start by marking “Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy” as Want to Read:
Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy

Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy

The Medical Basis for the Healing Power of IntimacyWe all know that intimacy improves the quality of our lives. Yet most people don't realize how much it can increase the quality of our lives -- our survival.

In this New York Timesworld-renowned physician Dean Ornish, M.D., writes, "I am not aware of any other factor in medicine that has a greater impact on our survival tha
Published February 17th 1999 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Love and Survival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Survival

Start your review of Love and Survival: The Scientific Basis for the Healing Power of Intimacy
Licia
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
I am reading the 1998 version of this now. After studying the latest in interpersonal neurobiology this comes as no surprise. But I think it is a great beginner book to affect a paradigm shift with valid points on how our medical system operates and I mean operates. The system works to allow complicated surgeries and mecdications with devestating side-effects as remedy to pain and suffering when it is proven that relationships,love and caring improve our hearts and our lives. Give me a hug, anyd ...more
Kathleen
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has sadly sat on my shelf for over 15 years. I finally picked it up and boy am I ever glad I did. The author provides an easy to read book about the importance of love and especially intimacy on the power of healing. It is more than just feeling loved that contributes to healing, it is about having intimate connections that allow you to be your true self. He touches on many different connections - marriage, religion, counseling, and self. Great read!
Amiel Loiseau
Jan 03, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amiel by: no one, just found it.
I loved this book. The intimacy between two human beings has the power to heal. By the same token, if a person has no real connection to another caring person, sickness and death are much closer. Trying to quantify the health benefit of having close, loving relationships is a tough task. This book did it. This book shows to me, without a doubt, that having a person who really loves you, and who shows it, is the best medicine, and laughter is a distant second.
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars because of how important I think the message is. Devaluing love and relationships within a culture has disastrous consequences for both our emotional and physical health.
Susan Basanjav
Jan 15, 2011 is currently reading it
interesting topic..i love Dr. Ornish work so i think it will definitely beneficial.
Teri Temme
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
People need people.
Mark Valentine
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved surviving Ornish's book. It's a pastiche of love literature but love--think about it--is also a reworking of sorts. At best, love is a re-wiring.

Specifically, Ornish's second chapter was an overwhelming summary collection of peer-reviewed studies of the benefits of love and intimacy in maintaining healthy living. And his final chapter was also an overwhelming chapter of some such stuff (I skimmed it so well, I don't remember here what to write). But his other chapters have the pith.

I t
Rick
Apr 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Thought it went a little too hard to hammer the main point about the connection between love and intimacy with health and well being. Echoed what I've read of Brene Brown regarding vulnerability and ones ability to achieve intimacy. The biggest takeaways were one the breakdown of communicating around feelings which is huge because it is an area I struggle. In addition defining purpose as growing in wisdom and learning how to love better.
morrrtza
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتابی شایسته برای دریافتن اهمیت مهرورزی و ارتباط اصیل انسان، که از جنبه ی علمی و تحقیقاتی تجربی مورد بررسی قرار گرفته و تاثیر آن بر سلامت انسان به نمایش گذاشته شده.
برای کسانی که طرفدار تنهایی ،انزوا ، تفرد و دوری از مردم هستند و همچنین کار های علمی و آزمایشات تجربی در کنار صرفا فلسفی و روانشناسی در این زمینه برایشان اهمیت دارد، کتابی مفید و تفکر برانگیز و چالش زا خواهد بود.
Vineeta
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book linking intimacy, all kind of relationships and our survival in this world. Provides a different perspective how it is beneficial to us practically. It has enough examples from different studies. A good guide where we can think about ourselves and relate to it.
Munirah
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having the science and life experience to then prove that love and Survival go hand in hand. Many things I realized and learned by reading this book. Awesome and would recommend to others.
Taniusha
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
I understand the prayer related stuff from a scientific perspective, but at times the religion was too persistent in the book.
I took some good points from the book though!
Brenda
Mar 12, 2008 rated it really liked it

This book helped me to understand my relationship with myself and with God.

I think if more for understanding all kinds of relationship that we have.
Jay
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
To live a life that is full of love is the only way to live life...thank you Dr Ornish for this lovely honest look at living a life with full of love.
Christine
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the emphasis on research in the second section, but it the style didn't work for me.
Nancy Mramor-Kajuth
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dean Ornish explains how it isn't just what we eat and how much we exercise, but who we love and how. And this is from a heart doctor whose first books were about nutrition! Very good.
Carolyn

• Reader, Come Home: The Reading Brain in a Digital World
  • Radical Resilience: When There's No Going Back to the Way Things Were
  • The Road Ahead
  • The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
  • Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology and the Business of Keeping Us Hooked
  • Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster
  • Showdown at Little Big Horn
  • Whistling Vivaldi: And Other Clues to How Stereotypes Affect Us
Dean Ornish is an American physician and researcher. He is the president and founder of the nonprofit Preventive Medicine Research Institute in Sausalito, California and a Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco. He is a well-known advocate for using a plant-based diet and healthy lifestyle changes to treat and prevent heart disease.

Dean Ornish earned a B.A. i