Start by marking “The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead

The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead (Sherlock Holmes Adventures #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  2,119 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Holmes attends a seance to unmask an impostor posing as a medium, Sebastian Melmoth, a man hell-bent on obtaining immortality after the discovery of an ancient Egyptian papyrus. It is up to Holmes and Watson tostop him and avert disaster...
In this fast-paced adventure, the action moves from London to the picturesque Lake District as Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson once mor
Published November 17th 2010 by Titan Books (first published July 1998)

Margaret
“The Scroll of the Dead” by David Stuart Davies was first published in 1998, and then republished in 2009 under Titan Books “Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes” imprint.

At only 172 pages (208 including excerpts from other books), “The Scroll of the Dead” is quite short, more a novella than a novel, but it is a great read.

I was reluctant to read it at first, as I had read “The Veiled Detective”, another of David Stuart Davies Sherlock Holmes novels, and had not enjoyed it. “The Scroll of the D
Monica Willyard
This book did not feel comfortable to read. It felt like when you wear shoes that don’t fit properly so that they rub a blister on your ankle over time. It didn’t feel like the flow and pacing of most Sherlock Holmes novels. I found the brief switching of viewpoints showing the villains jarring, and the foreshadowing felt very obvious or contrived. I can tell that this author has the ability to write and create moods and characters very well. It is the plotting that felt somehow off to me. This ...more
Bailey Marissa
It's mostly in character, but there are moments that Watson takes over as narrator when there's something happening away from where he is and it's a little weird.

The plot is interesting, but I did find that Holmes, when sharing about what he plans to do, is more talkative than what ACD had Holmes be.

Overall, not a bad pastiche and is fun to read.

Recommended 11/12+ for murder.
Nicole West
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-rules
My first every Sherlock Holmes book read.
I feel a celebration coming on.
I'm so happy the first one I decided to pick up
dealt with Ancient Egypt. I'm an Egyptologist at heart!
Andrea Engle
Reasonably decent pastiche, with appropriate, Conan Doylish asides ... a trifle melodramatic, but entertaining all the same ... deals with a burglary of the British Museum and the flutter among English-born Egyptologists ...
Bev

The Future Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Scroll of the Dead by David Stuart Davies is a much better Holmes pastiche than the previous Davies offering I read last year (The Veiled Detective)--better in the sense that it adheres more strictly to the canon and expectations of those who like their Holmes stories to have a bit of continuity. I don't mind twists--provided the Doyle stories have not already established precedent.

In this outing, Holmes is asked by his brother Mycroft to attend a seance
Carl
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Scroll of the Dead" - what an intriguing title! The book is an enjoyable read, but the plot disappoints a bit and gets a bit predictable near the end. Being a "sucker" for books and movies dealing with Egypt and Egyptology, perhaps I expected more of a supernatural aura to the book. The story was certainly adequate and even exciting and tense in spots, but it still left a bit to be desired. "The Scroll of the Dead" by David Stuart Davies, who has w ...more
James
Mar 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scroll of the Dead is a fast paced yarn that hits all the beats a Holmes and Watson story should. Some of the twists are a tad predictable, but don’t really detract from the story. The tale wastes little time getting started, assuming readers are already familiar with Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson; their relationship, and the world they live in. It’s a fair assumption considering the amount of Holmes material in the marketplace – be it books, film, and television shows – and that numbe ...more
Emmett
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A very delightful afternoon read. Though I found the style markedly different from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's (more dialogue than the traditional tales, for example), it's not a bad thing to come across a refreshing change. The pace was just right which made it enjoyable (and probably too much that it became a distraction of sorts as I couldn't put it down until the last page had been turned), with the original characters intriguing in their own way. Initially plot twists and turns were exciting b ...more
Peter
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, crime
As always, Davies provides an engaging and enjoyable new Sherlock Holmes story, which maintains much of the style, pace, and vigour of the originals.

In this adventure, Holmes is on the trail of some unscrupulous individuals who have something of an obsession with death and the supernatural. In his inimitable style, he cuts through the nonsense to expose them for who and what they are.

The plot is reasonably clever, although after one particular twist about half-way through it starts to become a l
Elisa
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Assolutamente meraviglioso. Questo libro mi ha lasciata a bocca aperta: una lettura più che soddisfacente, dopo la discutibilissima qualità del romanzo della Thomas. Ma non è questo il punto. Il ritmo incalzante, crescente, la trama di un mistero apparentemente semi-trasparente, capace di ingannare anche un lettore ferrato in materia: è tutto ciò a rendere questo libricino una perla luminosa da custodire con gelosia sullo scaffale della libreria. Il magistrale lavoro dell'autore è una conferma d ...more
Lillian Carl
The Scroll of the Dead, by David Stuart Davies, is a Sherlock Holmes pastiche, part of a
series of what are basically Holmes fan-fic novels published by Titan Books, a British
publisher. This one deals with a slimy character, sort of an Oscar Wilde gone bad,
searching for an ancient Egyptian scroll. The writing style imitated Conan Doyle's quite
nicely, but, as is usual with most pastiches, the plot and Holmes's deductions weren't
nearly as puzzling as the original.

No matter. I enjoyed it.
Donna
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess I love any thing Sherlock. Have read the original books and stories over and over. Loved all the movies and TV shows ( Jeremy Brett still my favorite) As a key chain my daughter gave me says I am Sher Locked.
all that said David Stuart DAVies is said to be one of Britain's leading Sherlockian writers. The book is well written but not extraordinary
Cait
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperback, crime
Liked the writing style - was very close to Conan Doyle's style (with the exception of the bits added in 'later').

Found the actual plot a little tricky to follow in places.

It was all well set up, there were some jumps which made it tricky to work out the case alone.

Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Morgan
Extremely predictable, even clunky at times. Certainly not anything to write home about, but it was by no means deplorable. It was short, it was fun, and anything involving Sherlock Holmes and ancient Egypt will undoubtedly win me over in no time. I'd rate it as one of those quick summer reads you enjoy while floating in the pool.
Pamela
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Sherlock Holmes Stories,and this one was very good. I would give it a 4.5 at least.I loved the plot, and of course the way Sherock deduces all the tangles, and clues. It has to do with a stolen scroll,and some very deluded people. A great mystery from one super writer, and one supberb sleuth.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
I must not read anymore of these until I've read some of the original novels. How can 3 different authors have such different views of such an iconic creation?

As an admirer of Egyptian history I was rather looking forward to this story, but that's all it was - a story. Not much substance at all. But it passed the time!
S. J.
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Noone
I can't do my regular review as I have attempted (with some success) to delete this book from my mind. What I do remember was disappointment, mediocre(at best) writing, and a pitiful mystery. As one incarnation of Sherlock Holmes says: "Bored, Bored, BORED!" I got rid of it practically as soon as I finished reading it.
Amy
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I was a little reluctant to read this, as I have read others in the 'series' and they have been poorly written and disappointing. But this one was quite enjoyable to read. I liked seeing Holmes and Watson working on the case.

My only complaint is that the plot wasn't terribly engaging. But the characters more than made up for that.
Fred Hughes
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I polished this one off in one sitting.A great story involving Egyptian scrolls and mythology. The bodies start piling up and the race is on for Sherlock and Watson to get to the bottom of it all.

This entire series gas great stories by great authors. Recommended
John
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
This Holmes novel reads as much like one of Doyle's originals as much as any other of the newer novels. The story keeps you interested throughout the book and it is quick read much like Doyle's earlier works.
Twodogs333
This book was pretty good. I love Sherlock Holmes so it was fun to read a story in the Holme-sian (my word) vein. I think it's a good read for fans of Sherlock Holmes and new comers alike. The dialogue seemed authentic as did the plot. A quick, entertaining read.
Caidyn (BW Book Reviews)
I very much enjoyed this book. Then again, I love Egyptian history and this immediately caught me. The writing was superb. Characters interesting. Mystery engaging. I would definitely reread this book one day.
Salvatore
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like the Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I can't wait until I have read them all.
Adam
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the least strongest of this series so far, The Scroll of the Dead is a fairly decent Sherlock Holmes novel.
Calvin Daniels
Top drawer Holmes, and that is good enough for me anytime.
Alan Brindley-Taylor
It was ok. Not brilliant but not poor either just ok.

Caitlin
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holmesian
An enjoyable read while you're between books, but the plot seemed to be a bit slapdash at times; very fast paced toward the end, but very predictable (especially with the little split narrative).
Mike Barresi
Certainly not the best in the series.
Katie
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best Holmes I've read.
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Man from Hell (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Ectoplasmic Man
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Whitechapel Horrors
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
David Stuart Davies was born in 1946. He was a teacher of English before becoming a full-time editor, writer, and playwright. Davies has written extensively about Sherlock Holmes, both fiction and non-fiction. He is the editor of Red Herrings, the monthly in-house publication of the Crime Writers' Association.
More about David Stuart Davies...

Sherlock Holmes Adventures (8 books)
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Hentzau Affair