Start by marking “Changes at Fairacre” as Want to Read:
Changes at Fairacre

Changes at Fairacre (Fairacre #18)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  498 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Times are changing in the charming downland village of Fairacre, and Miss Read isn't certain that it's all for the best. The new commuter lifestyle has caused a drop in attendance at the local school, and officials are threatening closure. Miss Read worries about the failing health of Dolly Clare. Vegetable gardens have given way to trips to the Caxley markets, and the tra ...more
Published November 9th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Changes at Fairacre, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Teri-K
Miss Read books are lovely stories about simple people living in a simpler time. I especially love the Fairacre series as they revolve around the village school teacher and the children. But all of her books are quiet and sweet. Some people say nothing happens in them, and that's true if you always have to have big events in your novels. These books are more episodic in nature - which makes sense as the first one was written like the teacher's diary. (Miss Read is also the teacher's name.)

Anyway
Peri
Apr 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have been reading and re-reading a few of these over the weekend. I have to be in the mood for them but when I am in the right place - I love them. So relaxing and easy, that time passes and what was to be a 10 minute sit down with a book soon becomes an hour+.

I love the sense of village life from the past - slowly changing but not quite at the pace you get in towns and cities. I really enjoy the portraits of her characters that don't change much on the surface but then suddenly come out with so
Shannon
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an especially good one of a wonderful series! Will they or won't they close Fairacre Village School? This question hangs over the whole book, with many side diversions ranging from international embezzeling to hurricane-torn devastation! For Fairacre, it's a pretty wild ride! At the center, as always, is witty, wry, but basically unflappable Miss Read, steering a steady course through the roll of the seasons.
Miss Read books (in all their settings, but the Fairacre ones are the best of al
yexxo
Es war mein erstes Miss Read Buch, und ich glaube, auch mein letztes. Es liegt nicht daran, dass nichts Aufregendes passiert. Mir ist es einfach - zu beschaulich, zu einseitig.
Miss Read, eine Grundschullehrerin auf dem Lande, erbt ein Haus und zieht um. Neben diesem Umzug beschreibt sie das Leben - ihr eigenes wie auch das in ihrer Umgebung. Alles wirkt wie mit einem Weichzeichner wiedergegeben: Friede, Freude, Eierkuchen :-). Die Menschen sind alle liebevoll und freundlich zueinander und die e
Jane
May 22, 2011 added it
I like to think of Fairacre as sort of a British Lake Wobegon - a place where things don't really change.

But change is coming to Fairacre, like it or not. First there's the death of Dolly Clair and Miss Read's move to Dolly's old home. None too soon as it turns out, because a storm damages Miss Read's old home by the school.

The demographics of Fairacre are changing, too. There are far fewer children enrolled in Fairacre school and there is an overriding fear amongst the townfolk that the school
Sukhi
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, I found it difficult to get into this particular installment of the Fairacre series. It could be because I have been distracted by other books, but it could also be because the book deals with the difficult theme of changes. I don't want to see changes in Fairacre. I want it to always be a place of peace and contentment. I think with my life always being in flux and changing, and with recent events in the world at large, it was difficult for me to read this book. I am going to t ...more
Amanda Arra
I have read almost all Miss Read's books about a country teacher in an English Village. She has a gentle sense of humor and there is a lot of local color in these books. It is not a book for people who like action, as there is almost no action at all. These books are like comfort food, you can read it and take a breath and slow your life down to the pace of an English country village about 50 years ago.
Melody
Apr 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another delightful Miss Read book. This one has more of the same, only a little bit extra. Don't start with this, of course, as it's nearly the end of the series. There are some heart wrenching bits here, and as ever, it's worth the time to read.
Gwen
What fun! Very pleasant after the "heavier" reads of late. Just enough of life's events to keep it interesting and the author gives wonderful profiles of the participants. A breath of fresh air!
Cathy Houston
a charming story of the simple life on a small English village; a feel good read
H Mitzelfeldt
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me. I had not read it in years. This time, I could relate more to the change of seasons Miss Read has in this book.
Cathy
Everything a gentle read needs to be. Jan Karon fans might want to go back and read these.
Andria
This is what I need to read when I am in the need for peace and a simpler way of life.
C.G.
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-book-list
Enjoyable... as are all Miss Read books, though sad to say farewell to a long-time character.
Jenalyn C
Nice book but it was dull.
Janice Williams
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a lovely comforting book to read. I would love to live in a village like fairacre or beech green.
Patti
Iona Bauer
Jul 12, 2016
Denise
Jan 08, 2016
  • Music In The Hills (Dering Family, #2)
  • Laughter on the Stairs
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • Christmas Cake
  • The Listening Eye (Miss Silver, #28)
  • The Other Side of the Dale
  • The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #10)
  • Waltzing at the Piggly Wiggly (Piggly Wiggly, #1)
  • Around the World with Auntie Mame (Auntie Mame #2)
  • A Wish and a Prayer (Blessings, #4)
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Fairacre (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Village Diary (Chronicles of Fairacre, #2)
  • Storm in the Village (Chronicles of Fairacre, #3)
  • Miss Clare Remembers (Fairacre, #4)
  • Over the Gate (Fairacre, #5)
  • Village Christmas (Fairacre, #6)
  • Fairacre Festival (Fairacre, #7)
  • Emily Davis
  • Tyler's Row (Fairacre, #9)
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)