Start by marking “The Charmer (Darklands, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Charmer (Darklands, #1)

The Charmer

(Dark Lands #1)

Jasmine didn't realize her friend Wiley was special until they were drawn into another world. Here Wiley is betrothed to the ruler of the Haunt, a wererace both dangerous and proud.

Keilor is the master of soldiers, a man few would cross, yet he'd never met a menace like the little brunette his princess calls friend. Will Jasmine find the portal home, or will she find a we
Published February 5th 2011 by Autumn Dawn (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Charmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Charmer

new_user
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
I'll say it: I judged this book by its cover. I was expecting the writing in the novel to be as amateur as, admittedly, the cover art is. Much to my surprise (and happily so), I found that my doubts were unfounded and that this book by one "Autumn Dawn" wouldn't let me go until the end.

Don't be misled by the label; the world constructed in Teasing Danger is more similar to an alternate universe or fantasy world peopled by intelligent shapeshifters, albeit leading their lives by older traditions
Cheesecake
On second read I enjoyed this just as much as the first, but I do find the men a bit too 'know-it-all' for my taste.
.............................
Jasmine the human Charmer and Keilor the know-it-all.

Jasmine goes into the woods looking for her friend Wiley. Instead she finds a pack of wolves and another world; the Darklands. They came to take her to Wiley, but it's not like it's a choice.
Jasmine and Wiley have been fast friends since they met as little orphans. But, it turns o
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
What started out as a promising beginning to what I thought was going to be an interesting twist to the wolf/shifter genre quickly became boring and awkward with flat poorly-drawn characters and mediocre writing.

Jasmine and Wiley are two best friends who grew up together in an orphanage. Now adults, they are on a camping trip in the Alaskan wilderness when Wiley disappears. As it turns out, Wiley is not even human, but a missing princess from another dimension who accidentally stumbled through
Amanda
Apr 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Different and very Interesting! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and didn't even realize that there are several more in this series....like finding money in your pockets that you didn't even know was there:) Anyway, the story is about two girls who go camping and while in the woods get captured and taken into the gates of a different world. A world ruled by haunts (similar to werewolves), who have been searching for one of the girls for several years because she is a haunt too, who disappeared as ...more
SheLove2Read
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This was a strange read for me. Its listed as the 1st book in the Darklands series yet I couldn't help but think it wasn't, due to so much backstory for other characters. I also felt at times I was missing pages of the story, like I was reading an unedited version or something, which would make sense since I found a few typo's.

The characters I liked well enough but the story was just odd. Jasmine is transported to another world with alien beings, and finds out her best friend is also
Leyla
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Leyla by: Ailin Borquez
Elizabeth Ayala
May 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and I loved the characters. Was not aware that this had sex scenes in it when I purchased it but I loved it. I have to agree with someone else when they said the ending disappointed them. I do not like the ending and the other books in the series have different main characters so I'm not sure if I will read those books. I really wished the ending left off better.
A.R. Norris
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm really confused by this read. Overall, Autumn Dawn's writing really sparkled and I'd lose myself in this story, but then a paragraph or scene would derail me. The core of the story is fantastic, but could've used a good scrub by an editor. For both content and technical aspects.

Before I delve too much into this review, fair warning to readers, this is a super steamy read. I didn't realize this fit more in the genre of erotica and don't usually don't go for that genre but had already started
Mojca
Jasmin never realized her friend was different until her best friend since the orphanage, Wiley, disappeared...Only to be found again in another world, about to ascend as the queen of the Haunts, the people inhabiting the strange dimension.

Which wouldn't be that bad if they let Jasmine go. Unfortunately she's one of the rare creatures the Haunts despise. She's a Charmer, her scent rife with pheromones ready to snare any unsuspecting (and unmated) Haunts out there.
Lucky for her,
Sandy Vaughan
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The proof reader should be shot at dawn for about 3 glaring mistakes that made me have to reread the sentence 3 times to figure it out! It's a problem with my dislexia.

Again, her ending was complete so this could be read as a single. For those of us who started in the middle, there was not problem except the joy of learning a bit of the back stories of some of the characters.

The men are strong, built like gods of old and sexy as they can be. They are warriors but generally quite sen
Kami Dodson-Perry
This was a freebie when I downloaded it but I quickly was made a fan of this series. I have since read all of the books in this series thus far & will continue as new ones come along. Hopefully I will not spoil anything for the readers but basically the main character is Jasmine whom you love right away. She gets taken through a gate (think stargate) to another planet while looking for her best friend. At this point she finds her friend & has a journey of her own. Jasmine finds romance, ...more
Germaine
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
i'm gonna be fair and start by saying that i enjoyed some of it, jas is funny and i ended up laughing with her on some of her stunts. . .

BUT!. . .

the begining was bad. they just dropped me unexpectedly right into the middle of the story. i had hard time finding out wtf was going on the first 20 pgs or so, but i was fine with it until i started getting more irritated by jas the more i read about her. the characters are stereotyped (me lord! you weak human woman!) and just
Sara
May 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
For some reason I was under the impression this was a YA novel. I think I got it from Amazon either for free or close to it and I thought it was in the YA category? Needless to say it is NOT a YA novel. From what I read it didn't flow very well and lacked a lot of world building and character development. I was hoping this was going to be better just because the plot had potential but it really fell short. I mean, Jasmine was taken to another world with three moons and barely blinked an eye. I a ...more
Diana
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it

This story should not be classified for children or youth. There is a lot of sexual content, I would not want my young daughter reading. I would not recommend it for children under 16 years of age. Ideally, they should be 18.

This book is good. I was disappointed in the lack of finesse used by the author to wrap the novel up. The ending was bland & disappointing for such a promising novel. additionally, I felt at times certain dramatic events took place without much build up or
Eya
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I like the story, despite the horrific editing. BUT every time I come to Keilor demanding Jasmine acknowledge him as her lord, I freaking feel like hurling my reader against a wall, that's how much of that bullcrap there is in the book. Just on principle, I'd like to say I don't like this one, but that wouldn't be quite true - I do keep coming back for more.
Monica
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
How can you end a book by telling us the would-be killer escaped and then not give us a sequel? Did i miss something? Who sent the poison lizard down the chimney? And they lived happily ever after???? I honestly dont think ive ever read a more disappointing ending!!! The rest of the book was great... Sigh.
Mskychick
Jul 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
I would have given this book a 3, but halfway through the book it started going downhill. Then the ending was so abrupt. It's as if she had 100 pages of plot left to write, but then decided she had something else to do, so she wrapped in up in 2 pages instead. I literally said to myself, "wait, that's it?!l" when I reached the startlingly truncated end of the story.
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
You can download this for FREE in Kindle edition at amazon.com here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004...

Be quick guys! No idea how long it lasts....
Tom
Feb 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Would love to give a better rating. The story line was good enough that I read the rest of the series but editing was so poor that I have trouble recommending to anyone.
Aurialis
I need to stop reading this types of books. It only wants to make me pull my hair, regret wasted time and needle me in a bad mood.

There are so many things wrong here, that I could fill pages and pages.

There are so many..... and I mean, so many inconsistencies and discrepancies, that if I were editing this book, I would tell the author to rewrite the book. So many immature decisions made, so many senseless things done..... AAAAA!!!!

If I went on a fact finding mission rega
My Yorkshire Litmosphere
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I will start by saying this book was a freebie I found on Amazon about 8 years ago - I had never heard of it or expected much yano, but its a freebie and bitches can’t be choosy! Especially as I was a student!

Little did I know it would become one of my favourite books...like EVER!

Premise is: Jasmine is a human girl looking for her best mate Wiley in the wilderness. What she doesn’t know is that she will be taken from her world to another and discover that her best f
Magdalena
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I actually wasn't sure how to rate this book. I was going to give it a 4/5 because it was really good for a little over the first half of the book, but then it took a downturn. There became many inconsistencies in the storyline and the story started to jump from scene to scene without any plot development in between. The biggest inconsistency: I could swear that I read earlier in the book that when a charmer is mated, she would no longer be attractive to other males. However, that was not what w ...more
Autumn
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
As I first started to read this book I liked it. The character and world building were pretty decent. As the book went on I found the main characters, Jasmine & Keilor, to be very shallow characters with very simple motivations. I found most of the scenes of intimacy rather trite. About 1/3 of the way into the book I was able to start guessing the plot scenes and scenarios. There was so much going on towards the end of the book that I thought this book would be the first in a series. The aut ...more
Genny
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book was awesome, couldn't stop reading

Book was great can't wait to read the rest of the series. Story line has romance, suspense, and was funny. Jasmine and Kellie #1
°мαggιє°  (っ⚈ᴥ⚈)っ™
Really no plot at all.
Sarah-Jane Langdon
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read this series about 20 times and love it even more every time. It is one of my all time favourite series.
Kami
I didn’t expect to like this book at all after reading the first few chapters. In fact, I had to utilize a lot of will power so that I wouldn’t put the book down somewhere, forget about it and happily abandon ship.

After dredging through several more chapters I found there were certain aspects of the story that I could appreciate and sufficiently piqued my interest enough to keep me reading and consider the possibility that I might like the book to some degree by the time I finished.
Kerr
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
description

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would, considering it's been sat on my kindle for an age! I've really enjoyed the world it's set in - the Darklands - and I'm looking forward to learning more as the series progresses. There's a lot more to this world than it first seems and I think it's going to be pretty amazing when we have all the facts.

I thought that Jasmine was a pretty good character, she didn't quite go with it but she did se
Madeline
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
It starts off with a girl, Jasmine looking for her BFF in the woods while camping, only to find she was kidnapped, when the 'kidnappers' come for her and take her back to what turns out to be another world of some kind of 'shifters', similar to werewolves. Her BFF, Wiley, whose real name is Rhilia (and this part got a bit confusing when talking about her, since the characters kept calling her by both names), is the daughter of the Queen of this clan of 'shifters' in the world they call the Darkl ...more
Leona Woolfolk
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
It looks like I'm revisiting all of my favorites, and The Charmer by Autumn Dawn has definitely made that list.

Before I even knew what goodreads or paranormal romance was I was hooked into this series by Autumn Dawn. All it took was for me to read The Charmer and I knew that I would binge this entire series, or what I could get my hands on at the time.

I don't know if it was the unique world that Dawn created that hooked me in or maybe it was the uniqueness of her characters, but I've re-read The Charmer more-readreadand
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Amber Moon (Moon Trilogy, Part II)
  • Fresh Blood
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Howling for My Baby (Cannon Pack, #1)
  • Between Faith and Fear (Captive, #2)
  • Mandy's Story (Fang Chronicles, #4)
  • Warriors of the Cross (Warrior, #1)
  • Deadworld (Jackie Rutledge #1)
  • Immortal (Clare Point, #3)
  • The Bite of Silence (Biting Love Series)
  • Fire Dance
  • Scent of a Vampire (The Evolved, #1)
  • Seduced by the Wolf (Heart of the Wolf, #5)
  • In the Garden of Temptation (Garden, #1)
  • A Lesson in Passion (Lesson, #1)
  • Improper Pleasures (Pleasures, #1)
  • Graveyard Games
About me:

I'm a stay at home mom with three kids, a dog and an active imagination. I spent the first 34 years of my life in Alaska, land of the midnight sun, but these days I'm located in Washington, and am enjoying a much warmer sun :) I'm married to my high school sweetheart, John, who is known to bring me flowers "just because".

My leisure time is filled with gardening, cr

Dark Lands (6 books)
  • Homecoming (Darklands, #2)
  • Scent of Danger (Darklands, #3)
  • The Golden Bell (Darklands, #4)
  • Ghost in Her Heart (Darklands, #5)
  • Dark Lands: Beast Wars (Darklands, #6)