Start by marking “A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #1)

A Killing in Antiques (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  253 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Treasure hunting is not for the faint of heart. Luckily, Lucy St. Elmo, owner of the Cape Cod antiques shop St. Elmo Fine Antiques, has more than enough heart. What she needs to improve are her tracking skills-or else the wrong man could be convince of a one-of-a-kind murder.

It's time for Brimfield, the largest outdoor antiques and collectibles show in all of New England.
Published July 5th 2011 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about A Killing in Antiques, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing in Antiques

Fred
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it
First in a new series from a new author. One doesn't have to love antiques or collecting to enjoy this book/series. Certainly wouldn't hurt. The author provides the reader with a very insightful look at an antique fair, both from the dealer and buyers view.

Lucy St Elmo owns an antique shop in Cape Cod, MA and is heading to Brimfield for the biggest antique show in New England, to find some treasures for her shop. Before the official opening, Lucy, with her Supercart are scouring the booths for t
LORI CASWELL
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lucy St. Elmo owns St. Elmo's Fine Antiques in Cape Cod. Treasure hunting is the mainstay of any antiques business and Lucy excels beyond many when it comes to finding just the perfect piece.

This week the hunt takes Lucy to Brimfield, the largest outdoor antique show in all of New England. She has her strategy all worked out, her custom made cart and money at the ready. She is ready to make a killing at this show and bring back treasures she has been dreaming about.

Lucy was not the only one wit
Paula
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a fun story. I loved the whole buying, selling and ins and outs of an antique fair. The author did a good job bringing the eccentric characters to life.
Denise
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
It's the market of all markets and Lucky of St. Elmo Antiques is prepared. Superchart as she calls it hauls her finds away to the van she has parked and arranged to move and return for more. However there is an event to put a damper on the deals, death, a murder of one of their own. Not one of the most liked in the field, he had a way of rubbing you wrong, but in the end your heart found a spot for 'Monty'. While Lucy is not, NOT going to get involved it just happens, like buying that next find ...more
Vickie
A fun book to read and kind of learn how the antique business is done. I would love to know someone who knows the antique business like Lucy and tag along on her hunts and haunts.
I liked the setting, the characters, the premise and the mystery. Lucy getting involved was pretty seamless and it made sense. It was the death of someone she knew well and there was a lot of mystery surrounding the death as much as his life and livelihood.
Everything kept me turning the pages quickly and getting aggra
Amber Gray
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: june17
This was a cute book, I would consider buying more in this series. The only thing that felt off was, they kept referring to something that happened to Lucy in the past, it almost felt like there should have been a book prior to this one.
Nan St.Michael
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
This may have turned out to be a good story, but I just could not finish this book. Way too chatty, writer tries too hard.
Nancy
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Light reading. I enjoyed it because collectibles/antiques is an interest of mine. Also, I know the area that is the setting of the book which makes it interesting to me.
Cathy Cole
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
First Line: Most treasure hunts are fantasies.

Lucy St. Elmo, the owner of St. Elmo's Fine Antiques, looks forward to the annual Brimfield Antiques Show; it's a major source of the stock for her shop. When a friend and mentor is killed at the Brimfield show, Lucy has to stop looking for merchandise and start looking for a killer-- because she knows that the police have the wrong man in jail.

There is a lot to like in this book. Moody has a lot of information about the antiques trade to share. I l
Carol
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2014
I am torn in deciding on a rating for this book. There is not much mystery in this cozy! The emphasis is really on buying, selling and collecting collectibles. Sometimes I felt like the main character, Lucy St. Elmo, owner of St. Elmo’s Fire Antiques forgot that there was a murder.

Lucy goes to a wonderful antique fair at Brimfield, Massachusetts and a longtime friend, Monty Rondo is strangled with a piece of lace. His silent partner “Silent Bill” is arrested. It is evident at the start of this b
Amelia-Irene
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
For the first book it is interesting on beginning collecting of collections or antiques - a lot of good information there. It has a late middle aged woman or early senior aged woman as the heroine. Her husband, is one that would be driving me crazy(myself anyway) but that she seems to be crazy about - even tho to me he seems to be a bit self centered when they have in a scene (or thought)with him in it. The murderer was a little obvious (to me anyway) and the meandering was driving me a little b ...more
Suspense Magazine
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brimfield Massachusetts is to antique lovers and collectors what Camelot was to King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table—the place to be. A few times a year, the town hosts the Brimfield Antiques Show, the largest outdoor antiques and collectibles show in all of New England. Massachusetts author Mary Moody has chose Brimfield as the setting for her debut mystery, “A Killing in Antiques.”
Lucy St. Elmo, owner of St. Elmo’s Fine Antiques on Cape Cod, heads to the week-long May Brimfield show
Brittany
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
2.5 stars really. It took me almost two months to read this as I set it aside for quite a while. Readers are introduced to Lucy St. Elmo, who is an antiques dealer, but also has a husband and five children. One of her fellower dealers, Monty, is murdered at the Brimfield Antique Show. While I liked Lucy's character, I thought she was too blunt at times and knew that the killer would go after her because she was too obvious. I liked the addition of her daughter-in-law, Monica, and I also liked Mr ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my first introduction to the "Lucy St. Elmo Antiques" mystery series and I really enjoyed the book. The mystery was complete in itself, although, it did frequently refer to past episodes with a bullet in the sleuth, Lucy's, hip.

Lucy is a wife, mother of 5, mother-in-law and owner of a high-end antique store. The book is told from her viewpoint and was very realistic. The dialog in her thoughts and with other characters was authentic and not overdone. I like Lucy.

I found myself intereste
Dharia Scarab
Not a fan, spent too much time being bored in the main character's head while she bored you with all sorts of information about the characters life prior to stumbling into this mystery series.

2 stars... This book was not very good, and I wo
Kwoomac
4 stars not because of any literary merit but because it's about stuff I like. It's a mystery (!) that involves an antiquer from Cape Cod (!), who is at the Brimfield Antiques and Collectibles Show (!) when she solves a murder (!). I am particularly happy that at no point did the protagonist do anything ditsy or foolhardy. She never went anyplace alone, or entered a dark room, or tried to follow the murderer... This always drives me crazy. Not a brilliant plot, I knew who the killer was pretty e ...more
Susan
Antique dealer Lucy (not Arnez, though you have to wonder) is attending her favorite open air show, Brimfield, when she's shocked to learn that a good friend has been found murdered. She's even more upset to learn his notoriously taciturn assistant is the chief suspect. It's true that Lucy has promised her husband not to meddle in police matters, but surely nosing around a little to help Billy won't hurt--especially if she can avoid mentioning it. Lucy enlists stray helpers and long-time friends ...more
Grey853
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
If you like antiques and want to know the inside tricks of the trade, this might be a good book to read. The mystery itself isn't all that great, but there's plenty of detail about how dealers work and gather their inventory.

Personally, I could never be a dealer because it basically demands that you take advantage of ignorance to get a bargain. Lucy, the main character, has no problem with it, though, because it's part of the job. Apparently, it's routine to rip people off and have huge mark ups
Celia
Oct 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
This was a very strange book. It's the first in a series but references past events like it's book number 4. There is no introduction to the main character at all. Then you're thrown into her problems with her husband (no explaination given), her problems with her super weird "best friend" (talks like a crazy person) and critical family. She came across as controlling and bossy but with no redeeming qualities to balance it out. I will not read anymore of this series.
Lisa
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
The setting for this Cozy Mystery is fun. It's set at the Brimfield Antiques show which is near Sturbridge MA. The lead character is also tied to Boston and Cape Cod. For me, the local setting was fun as the descriptions of some of the places were real to me. However, there was not much of a plot. There was a lot of rushing around at the event which, while providing background, was boring.
Kelley
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this book. I skimmed most of the end just to satisfy my need to know who the murderer was, but honestly I didn't care too much. I don't think I'll read anything by the author.
Jennifer A.
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012
a kind of interesting description of the Brimfield antiques show (which I would love to attend someday) but I really didn't feel like I got to know the characters very well; the description of the characters and their interaction felt kind of superficial. I'm not sure if I'll read another one.

Andrea
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure: I know the author.

This was a fun romp into the realm of antiquing with well-drawn characters and surprising twists and turns. I've sent copies to friends and family and they've unanimously enjoyed the book.
Sandybear76
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I needed a glossary for some of the terms the antiques dealers used. I thin that there are other books in this series but this is the first one I have read. I kept waiting for Lucy's friend in antiques was Monty's killer but it wasn't Natalie. I learned a bit about antiques.
Megan
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a little torn on the rating. It's more of a 3.5 because of the fact the book is so slow going at some points and some of the plot makes little sense. Like the killer attacks Lucy for asking a simple question.
Barbara James-Richardson

It was very enjoyable. But I did not like about book was that if you were a person who reads the last chapter before you read the story. It spoil the story. It tells you the plot. But it is a good story otherwise.
Marge
Sep 19, 2011 rated it did not like it
I did not care for this book at all. The main character is not particularly likable. The author also treats "supercart" as a main character, the constant and continuous references to it are annoying. Example: on a half page of text, supercart is mentioned 6 times.
Amanda
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I would love to wander around Brimfield for a day or two.

I didn't really feel a connection to the characters till almost the end of the novel, hopefully that will help me to enjoy the next novel in this series.
Caroline
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A new series and I'm not that into antiques but it was a fun story with interesting characters. Looking forward to more in the series.
Priscilla
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
It has a lot of references to antiques ! LOL but well i guess it has to. It was a fast story to read and I would read one of her books again. Just for fun !

• Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • A Deadly Row (A Mystery By The Numbers, #1)
  • Dead Air (Talk Radio Mystery, #1)
  • How to Host a Killer Party (Party Planning, #1)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee Mystery, #1)
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Skating Around the Law (Rebecca Robbins, #1)
  • Murder at the PTA (Beth Kennedy #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
Mary Moody is a Massachusetts native who has lived all over the Commonwealth. She grew up in a collecting family where she learned the pleasure of the treasure hunt. She loves writing stories about the ingenious ways people find to participate in the antiques marketplace. She has an MBA from Clark University in Worcester, and lives with her husband in the Berkshires.
More about Mary Moody

Lucy St. Elmo Antiques (2 books)
  • MoodyUnt1-10 (Lucy St. Elmo Antiques, #2)