Start by marking “How Do You Want Me?” as Want to Read:
How Do You Want Me?

How Do You Want Me?

The autumn 2002 publication of Ruby Wax's memoirs was greeted with shock - and delighted acclaim. In the tradition of the best memoirs, such as The Moon's a Balloon and Billy, Ruby Wax revealed, surprised and captured the public more than was ever predicted.

How Do You Want Me? was critically acclaimed as brutally honest, vivid and gripping. Ruby Wax's unflinching revelatio
Published September 30th 2002 by Ebury Press (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How Do You Want Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Do You Want Me?

Maria
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
A simple memoir in which Ruby charts her childhood and complex relationship with her parents. It feels like she skips over a lot of things, some are just blanks spaces where she can't remember, at other times it feels like she is reluctant to talk about anyone other than herself, perhaps out of respect for those closest to her. Slightly incoherent at times, she goes forwards then backwards and some times I have no idea how old she is when she is writing about particular events. I would have love ...more
Anna
May 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
"self portrait with teeth"- priceless
Jules
Aug 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I bought this book that was going for a song at my local charity shop and read it here and there over two days. I can normally take and leave Ruby Wax but, on the whole, I admire her for (what I imaged was) her positive, upbeat and seemingly non-stop frivolity fizzing somewhere within her quick-witted brain. Madame Wax within the pages of this book is something else totally. Self-depricating, nervous and at times frightened - I have learned through my reading that the woman in question is a much ...more
Julie
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
There arę some great passages in this book - funny and perceptive- that I’ve just gone back and read again for the fun of it.
E.g Ruby on the complacency of the privileged English, it’s a long one..

“The English never think they’re going to get screwed like the Jews do, everything seems so lovely and homey, sitting all comfy, in their woolly pully’s, having a nice cup of tea with a bickie or a drinkie at elevenses. Some if them not making a penny but they’re not panicking because they’re going to
Keen
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

“At the end of the first month we looked forward with excitement to parents’ weekend; the problem was all the parents looked the same, it could take the whole weekend to figure out which ones were yours. From out of identical Cadillacs, identical Jewish mothers emerged-so over-tanned they could pass as handbags, crocodile smiles with neon pink lips, usually bleeding onto the teeth. They looked like very old, exhausted elephants in stretch pants, some faces were lifted so high it was like trying
Roz Naughton
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could’nt put this down. She writes so well of her distressing home life with her Father who bullied her and her Mother who was quite crazy.It must have been so difficult growing up but Ruby rose above all her problems and has led a very successful life.
She has 3 children and a husband. Her best friend was Alan Rickman - how good would that be?
I loved this book. Ruby is such a wonderful person despite all the angst she suffered.
Issi
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Yep. Interesting. It explains a lot.
Debbie  Leigh
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I looked forward to reading this book as I am a great fan of Ruby Wax, but it was so disappointing. Shallow and didn't really say what it says on the cover!
Deborah Cooper
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thus book made me appreciate just how amazing this woman is
Melissa
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved. Was laughing so hard I cried! Was creating so hard I had to laugh.
Judith Riseley
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Pleasant and witty.
Danielle Wrench
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wish I could rate this book more highly than the two stars I've given it as I respect Ruby Wax, particularly since reading her latest book 'sane new world'. I thought it would be interesting to read about her life and early stages of her career that has perhaps got her to where she is now. Unfortunately I found the first three quarters of the book hard to get through and even considered giving up. Perhaps it was her earlier interpretations/thoughts and the brash nature by which she writes and ...more
Antony Simpson
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From AntonySimpson.com:

Ruby Wax tells her life story (so far), in her autobiography How do you want me?
Wax starts by describing her childhood, complete with her neurotic mother and violent father.

Then Wax goes on to the important subjects of her life, each one having it’s own dedicated chapter in somewhat of a chronological order: Puberty, Men, Ambition, Fame, Marriage, Babies, Breakdown and Fixing Yourself.

Each chapter is written with Wax displaying honesty and regular doses of her good humour.
Lisa Bennett
Dec 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Ruby Wax is one of my favourite celebrities, i've always found her hilarious, and was so looking forward to reading this book when I found out it even existed (had no idea prior to finding it on the shelf in the library).

However, I have to say, I found it quite boring! She degrades her parents constantly, and doesn't really delve too deeply into herself, which is what you want in a biography.

I think I remember laughing just once in the whole book, whih was a disappointment.

The only reason i've
Kaat V
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it

Ruby moet als kind voor menig leerkracht zowat het enfant terrible geweest zijn, getuige daarvan alles wat ze medeleerlingen aandeed. Doel : aandacht en krijgen wat ze wou. Middel : alles is geoorloofd.

Met een vader en moeder die haar tot niets in staat achtten en dit ook continu bevestigden moest er wel iets met deze puber gebeuren. Tegenwoordig zou men het over pedogische verwaarlozing hebben en werden haar ouders wellicht voor de rechtbank gebracht. Haar vader stond Ruby's man enige maanden
Sharon Cook
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I recently got very interested in Ruby Wax after reading and seeing Sane New World so wanted to read her biography to find out more about her as a person.
I found it a very simple biography that seemed to jump around a lot, like it was severely edited. I also thought I got a lot of explanation of why she had breakdowns because of her parents, but that I know more about her parents than I do about Ruby herself.
Not one of my favourite comedians but a very talented writer.
I would say its worth a re
Charlie Green
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, it was a lovely light read, with just the right balance of self-deprecation and honesty that you hope for from a memoir! Some of her insights into Hollywood and glimpses of her relationships with other celebrities were great! -Especially her scene stealing with Juliet Stevenson from Patrick Stewart! A perfect companion for your holiday! :-)
Laura Tulloch
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading about Ruby's life. Her hard-to-put-down book takes you on a journey through her life from when she was growing up with her parents.

Just like her very ironic humour, Ruby writes about stuff that must have been hurtful and very hard to bear and still manages to make the reader laugh (well I did anyway).

JackieB
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I struggled with the early part of this book. Ruby Wax clearly had an awful childhood and she needed to joke her way through the telling of it. I can understand why but I found it difficult to read. In the later part of the book she reflects on the effects of her childhood on her adult life and her struggle to come to terms with it. This was very moving and thought provoking.
Erin
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
A fascinating combination of laugh-out-loud, pee-your-pants funny and absolutely heartwrenching. Wax manages to write about an atrocious childhood with much more grace than you might anticipate, but also with all the humor you'd expect. Brilliant stories about her celebrity friends, too.
Alex Laycock
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
im ashamed to say before i thought Ruby was too full or herself and obnoxious,but now i can see what has made her who she is and how wonderful and real she is deep down and her journey i find her incredible likeable,LOVED THIS BOOK,WANT TO READ MRE OF HERS
Justine
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a fan of autobiographies I gave this a go based on a friend's recommendation. Rather disjointed and lacking in details it was an OK read, if only to help me realise that someone else's family is weirder than mine.
Rachel
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Counter balancing the sublime with the ridiculous, I am feeding the current biog appetite with this wacky wax life story. Truly horrendous and hilarious in equal turn. Good if you like Alan Rickman. And extraneous amounts of exaggeration. Which I do. So that's good.
Sephie
Jun 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: auto_biog
Hardback copy of this loud entertainer's life. Her family did have some difficult times.
Chris
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very funny and her parents were nuts|!
Shannon
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know who Ruby Wax was when I started reading this book late one Christmas night. It didn't matter one iota and I woke up the entire house with my laughter.
Donna
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-swap, memoir
Disarmingly honest, hilarious, farcical and gutwrenchingly sad autobiography.
Marsha Van winkle
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow, Ruby let's loose! She's very honest and funny.
Alfred Nobile
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I found this to be a very poor biography
Tara
Jul 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Who can go wrong with self-deprecating humour?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Diary of an Honest Mum
  • Taking on the World
  • Running: The Autobiography
  • No Room for Secrets
  • And It's Goodnight from Him . . .: The Autobiography of the Two Ronnies
  • Arctisch dagboek
  • De kleine keizer: verslag van een passie
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Beatles Release
  • Goodbye, Dearest Holly
  • Next to You: Caron's Courage Remembered by Her Mother
  • Dalai Lama: Man, Monk, Mystic
  • My Name Is Anne, She Said, Anne Frank
  • Memoirs Of An Unfit Mother
  • Beijing Confidential: A Tale of Comrades Lost and Found in the New Forbidden City
  • Beyond Uhura: Star Trek and Other Memories
  • Wij zijn maar wij zijn niet geschift
  • Managing My Life: My Autobiography
Ruby Wax arrived in Britain in 1977 to pursue an acting career. She says "I really could never find my niche. I was a terrible actress, I couldn't sing, I couldn't do characters, I couldn't do an English accent and I lived in England, so I was narrowing it down".

She met French and Saunders at a party and worked alongside them a number of times, on television in Happy Families, at charity events su