Start by marking “Adaptation” as Want to Read:
Adaptation

Adaptation

Great Sci Fi short story by Mack Reynolds!

From Forward:

Hardly had man solved his basic problems on the planet of his origin than he began to fumble into space. Barely a century had elapsed in the exploration of the Solar System than he began to grope for the stars.

And suddenly, with an all but religious zeal, mankind conceived its fantasy dream of populating the galaxy. N

Published by IndyPublish.com (first published September 17th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Adaptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adaptation

Start your review of Adaptation
Joseph Carrabis
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As I wrote in my review of A.J. Budrys's The Barbarians , I gave myself a task to read Golden Age SF for craft and technique, one of which was Mack Reynolds's Adaptation.
First, historians should read this book. It's basically the USSR versus the USA in deep space, although not in open armed conflict. The battlefield involves the creation of working economies on two different worlds. What's even better, the aboriginals on both worlds get involved in a big (and to me, satisfying) way.
The story
Selina
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Currently one of my favourite books! A little short, if anything, and with a very unexpected ending.
Lisa
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
An overall interesting read. I don’t get why a thousand years was waited before anything was done for these planets instead of say like a hundred years. Everything that happened on the planets was predictable. Even the “twist” at the end was not a huge surprise. It could be gleaned from certain things said throughout the story.
Stephen D'Cruz
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the elaborate setting of two planets and a fight of egos. The twist in the end was unexpected but wonderful.
Sean
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short but thoroughly engrossing . Enjoyed the ending.
McKenzie
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a delight. I don’t think there were any women in the entire thing, but it was a good read.
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing chilling book!
Brenda
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So rare that I give a 5 star rating to a short story, not sure I've ever done it to be honest, but this little book deserves it. Not only was I completely enthralled with this, I want to read other things by this writer and am actually recommended this book to several friends. ...more
Lindsay
Apr 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2011, kindle, sci-fi
I always find the potential futures discussed in sci-fi fascinating, and this book combines societies from the past, with intervention from the future. There are some parts I found to be unrealistic (with reference to human behaviour) but overall a good read.
Al
Dec 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It has been many years since I have read anything by Reynolds. Great author. Interesting twist at the end. Mankind is adaptable -beyond what some think.
Carlton Mckenney
Jane
Dec 14, 2015
Bill Corey
Aug 24, 2016

• All These Worlds (Bobiverse, #3)
  • For We Are Many (Bobiverse, #2)
  • First Love
  • Mother Go
  • The Unfair Sex: The Expose of the Human Male for Young Women of All Ages
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Tess of the D'Urbervilles
  • The Murders in the Rue Morgue - a C. Auguste Dupin Short Story (C. Auguste Dupin #1)
  • The Vampyre: A Tale
  • 100 Books That Changed the World
  • Casting the Runes and Other Ghost Stories
  • The Great God Pan
Dallas McCord "Mack" Reynolds was an American science fiction writer. His pen names included Clark Collins, Mark Mallory, Guy McCord, Dallas Ross and Maxine Reynolds. Many of his stories were published in "Galaxy Magazine" and "Worlds of If Magazine". He was quite popular in the 1960s, but most of his work subsequently went out of print.

He was an active supporter of the Socialist Labor Party; his