Start by marking “The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011: True Stories from Around the World” as Want to Read:
The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011: True Stories from Around the World

The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011: True Stories from Around the World

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Since publishing A Woman’s World in 1995, Travelers’ Tales has been the recognized leader in women’s travel literature, and with the launch of the annual series The Best Travel Writing in 2004, the obvious next step was an annual collection of the best women’s travel writing of the year. This title is the seventh in an annual series—The Best Women’s Travel Writing—that pre ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Travelers' Tales (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011

Gary Buslik
I usually don't read women's travel writing for the same reason I don't read the Williams-Sonoma catalog. I'm just not interested in six pages on the texture of Venetian salami, the aroma of Bavarian salted caramel truffle tart, or the orgasm-inducing flavor of Scottish smoked salmon. I don't need to know that the author slept with local guide Bruno to find post-divorce closure, only to come to realize she had lost her identity in Trafalgar Square in the early 1970s, and that the mysterious Span ...more
Emily
I took my time with this book and savored each of the tales in this compilation. What an inspiration! Each woman has an amazing story, worthy of just a bit of envy . . .
The events detailed ranged from dancing, climbing, or camel riding, to falling in love or powering through heart-break. But to me, besides travel, the thread that connected each one was bravery. Loved it.
Pam
If you hate travel, people and experiencing other cultures, then this book is not for you.. It was a lot of fun, and the stories share many emotions and relationships. Lavinia Spalding also has a nice TED talk about human relationships, which I found insightful to what she looks for in finding intriguing stories for her series.. I highly recommend this and others in the series.
Glen Retief
This was better than I expected. Interesting, thoughtful stories, with more emotional depth than the tales mostly by men one finds in traditional travel anthologies.
Linda
Having read all of the Best Women fiction published by Traveler’s Tales since the year 2000 I have acquired an overview. Last years 2010 collection seemed top-heavy on stories of expats who became a part of the societies they were exploring. This collection seems more inclined toward travel memoir like a story that reflects upon a situation rooted in an incident during WWII, and a failed love affair during a stint in the Peace Corp many years prior. My favorite story set in Costa Rica is written ...more
Robyn
This is crack. This should be a banned book if you fancy yourself a traveler but have taken root, or think you have taken root, which, if you are really a traveler, you know roots are not really roots. You can pull up anytime.
I found this book in a used bookstore while looking for something else. I'd read other books in the Travelers' Tales series long ago and forgotten how wonderful they are. Lavinia Spalding did a beautiful job of editing.
Story after sometimes heartbreaking story of women go
Cynthiapg
Should be titled Best Women without Family Travel Writing. It only follows woman who are single or barely married, without children, or, in one, getting away from one's family. Basically, long term, stable (i.e., boring) relationships with men or children were not trendy enough. Come on. Woman can travel with their kids, can travel with their husbands. Being a feminist no longer means 'Just me, me, me. Hear me roar." Women who travel with families are no less women or adventurers. In the end, th ...more
This was a fabulous collection of stories that shed some more light on the 'whys' people travel. I have been reading a lot of travel guides for information and also some travelogues of others who have completed 'round the world' trips and through this process for the first time in my life I have encountered difficult books to read. Books that did not flow or I just couldn't align myself with them. So now I am delving into the world of travel writing to see how the 'pros' do it. This collection w ...more
Erin
I had the tremendous good fortune to see several of these women read their short stories in NYC and bought the book. Being a fan of the Best American Travel Writing, I figured a women's only version would be a good addition to my library. I was right. As expected, some stories really resonated and others didn't, but the one undeniable trait they all share is they are incredibly well-written, evocative tales. I'd highly recommend.
Danielle
Sep 13, 2011 Danielle marked it as to-read
I got this book free in a Goodreads giveaway. I have not finished all of these stories yet, I usually read one before bedtime here and there. If you read this and struggle with vocabulary (such as myself, I struggle with reading comprehension) make sure you have a dictionary close by. I have enjoyed all of the stories and am inspired to travel and create my own stories. I will be finishing this book soon!
Kerri
Great summer read. Had the pleasure of discussing the stories in my book club with the editor in attendance. Must book a new adventure. (just won't be as adventuresome as the tales in this book. )
Steven Spector
Most essays are very easy reads but don't let that fool you. Most are warm and poignant admitting to a life lesson without being preachy or obvious. I may have smiled involuntarily a few times. (<:
Shannon Baas
I found this to be a great book. I found the stories abuot the different ladies travel to be very interesting. I will definitely look for more of these and would recommend the book.
Gwen Hardin
Brilliant writing in this book. I feel as if I've traveled all over the world and experienced all kinds of culture. Especially enjoyed the variety of writers and stories.
Olivia
Great diversity of travel essays here, I really enjoyed learning about all the different places these authors lived and traveled to. The writing itself was more of a mixed bag.
Ian Tymms
Very readable, honest, engaging and entertaining. Great potential as a mentor text in our Grade 8 reading and writing program.
Michelle Lee
Some stories were very interesting. I guess I enjoy reading complete novels vs. short stories.
Jennannej
Sep 20, 2011 Jennannej marked it as to-read
My bookclub is reading! Gotta get my hands on a copy!
Arleen
Most of these writings are frustratinly short.
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Chris Czubati
Chris Czubati marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2008
  • A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler
  • Costa Rica Chica: Retiring Early, Simplifying My Life, & Realizing That Less is Best
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2001
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2010
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • Diplomatic Baggage: The Adventures of a Trailing Spouse
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2012
  • Travelers' Tales: A Woman's World
  • The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred
  • Go Your Own Way: Women Travel the World Solo
  • A Sense of Place: Great Travel Writers Talk About Their Craft, Lives, and Inspiration
  • A Woman's Path: Women's Best Spiritual Travel Writing
  • Better Than Fiction: True Travel Tales from Great Fiction Writers
  • The Wander Year: One Couple's Journey Around the World
  • Soul of Nowhere
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2013
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2000
Lavinia Spalding is the author of Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler (named one of the best travel books of 2009 by the Los Angeles Times), co-author of With a Measure of Grace, the Story and Recipes of a Small Town Restaurant, and editor of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions of The Best Women's Travel Writing. She’s a regular contributor to Yoga Journal, and he ...more
More about Lavinia Spalding...
Writing Away: A Creative Guide to Awakening the Journal-Writing Traveler The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 8: True Stories from Around the World The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 9: True Stories from Around the World The Best Women's Travel Writing, Volume 10: True Stories from Around the World With a Measure of Grace: The Story and Recipes of a Small Town Restaurant